Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Hasn't pretty much EVERYBODY ordered the Collectors Edition by now? lol

SEGA's going to have one hell of a time putting all those together.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hasn't pretty much EVERYBODY ordered the Collectors Edition by now? lol

SEGA's going to have one hell of a time putting all those together.

I'm actually debating on it for a few reasons. I really want to, but I want to play the game right when it comes out, and not have to wait for it to be delivered xD

Do you guys think I should get it? Maybe I should get it for PC and then just buy the Switch version too? I'm going to get both eventually. What do you all think?

Just now, Psychicmoose103 said:

I'm actually debating on it for a few reasons. I really want to, but I want to play the game right when it comes out, and not have to wait for it to be delivered xD

Do you guys think I should get it? Maybe I should get it for PC and then just buy the Switch version too? I'm going to get both eventually. What do you all think?

The statue.

It makes everything worth it.

It even says SEGA!! when you flip the switch.

3 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I'm from Europe. I wanted to preorder the Steam collector's edition but it's not coming out here, so I preordered the PS4 version instead, gonna buy the game on Steam Day1 and wait for the collector's to be delivered to sell the other code. If you're going to get the Nintendo Switch in the near future, you might aswell buy both version, Steam digitally and Switch collector's, it's not like the game is going to be more expensive than 20€/20$. Iizuka-san said so himself in a recent interview, they're following small digital only price point, so around 20€/$ if Sonic 4 is anything to go by.

Actually, if we're got 2 from each game, it would make 10, as Sonic 3 stages &Knuckles stages are being counted separately. With maybe around 5-6 new stages, this makes me think we are getting 15-16 stages.

49 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

I find it interesting SEGA of America pitched the idea of porting the classics (presumably the StealthTax remasters to current-gen consoles) and Iizuka said "we've already ported these games many times (which fans have played 100 times, true in my case :P) so lets instead make something new, re-imagine the levels (and make new zones) to create a new experience for the fans".

I still want to see the StealthTax remakes on PS4, especially since 1 and 2 are still mobile exclusive. With the Mania delay they could get Blit to port them like with Sonic CD to hold us over.

One of the main reasons I want to see the remasters ported to consoles is for multi-button spindash charges. If you guys are familiar with Sonic speedruns you probably know what I'm talking about but if you don't basically spindash has nine different speeds which, from my understanding, increases whenever you rev the spindash but will decrease the longer you remain in a spindash charge until you either release it or it resets back to its lowest speed. In short the faster you can reach the max number of revs (which is six) and release the spindash, the faster it'll be, at which point you can take advantage of slopes to get Sonic back into a running state so as not to decelerate in instances where you're not rolling down inclines.

But the catch to all this is it's pretty much impossible to reach the max spindash speed when you only have one button to rev a spindash with, which is why most speedrunners employ the "6-tap" which is where you quickly mash the three jump buttons (based on the A,B, and C buttons on a Genesis controller) together twice and release the spindash. Its pretty tricky to actually manage to get the max speed from doing this but its so handy when you want to go fast in a pinch, and it's a shame that you can't do it in the remasters (it doesn't seem to work in Sonic CD's remaster due to how the spindash was coded in that game, even with its setting to the Sonic 2 and 3 style) due to the hardware not allowing it. I can guarantee it'll work in Mania though; I don't see why that game wouldn't have multiple jump buttons when its trying to remain as nostalgically accurate as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

If you're willing to settle on a USB controller, Hyperkin's six button is dead on with how I remember the genuine thing feeling. Buttons have about the same give as my three button genesis controller, really good weight to it.

Dumb question but would this controller be compatible with a PS4? I'd love to play Mania this way 

4 minutes ago, SilJeff said:

My Sonic Mania Collector's Edition order from Amazon is now showing a September release date

happening to many. Placeholder im sure

4 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

I find it interesting SEGA of America pitched the idea of porting the classics (presumably the StealthTax remasters to current-gen consoles) and Iizuka said "we've already ported these games many times (which fans have played 100 times, true in my case :P) so lets instead make something new, re-imagine the levels (and make new zones) to create a new experience for the fans". I know a lot of fans were initially not happy to see old stages brought back but Mania appears to have been a real masterstroke from Iizuka. I gotta give him credit for pitching this idea instead of just opting to port the classics. Mania will have produced way more excitement than if they'd instead just announced more ports for the anniversary. I've said it before; the positive/feel-good factor Mania has generated in the community is just so fucking cool to have experienced.

I really hope we get at least two re-imagined stages from each classic. With Iizuka wanting fans to experience classic stages in "new and exciting ways" I would expect a large amount to be included. Therefore, I think my original prediction of at least 14 stages (six new and eight re-imagined) is very likely. I'd love it if we got even more!

Of course I still want the classics ported to current-gen consoles. Playing the remasters on my phone is fun but it'll never be as good as using a controller. The best versions of Sonic 1, CD & 2 only being playable on mobile devices feels like such a waste.

Look IT'S THE BOYS, THEM DUDES!

Dat Stealth guy, da Tax-boy and (next to him) the Slinger-dude!

HOLD ON A SEC!!!

Where are the SEGA of Japan cheerleaders? Where are those flashy showgirls they have for promotions over there?!
These boys deserve the diamond treatment!! Somebody fetch them some ladies!!

Two for each man, these guys are the best.

1 hour ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Dumb question but would this controller be compatible with a PS4? I'd love to play Mania this way 

Not sure, you'd have to look around. The Amazon product page has someone saying it sort of works on a PS3, the d-pad responds but the face buttons do not. It's really intended for the PC, though Hyperkin also makes controllers that directly plug into the Genesis as well, assuming you ever need a replacement one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dat Taxman.

Ramones_b105eb0c-74fe-47d2-9f60-d91c6282

I had to double check that tweet, thought they were having lunch with one of the Ramones.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Not sure, you'd have to look around. The Amazon product page has someone saying it sort of works on a PS3, the d-pad responds but the face buttons do not. It's really intended for the PC, though Hyperkin also makes controllers that directly plug into the Genesis as well, assuming you ever need a replacement one.

For a sec I thought you were saying they revealed the GAME works on a PS3...

8 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Ok thanks. 

Yeah I figured it was a pc only type of thing. I looked it up online and it does seem to only work on pc/Mac. I'm sure there's one that works on consoles but it's not super important. I'm fine playing the game on my dualshock 4 

4 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

One of the main reasons I want to see the remasters ported to consoles is for multi-button spindash charges. If you guys are familiar with Sonic speedruns you probably know what I'm talking about but if you don't basically spindash has nine different speeds which, from my understanding, increases whenever you rev the spindash but will decrease the longer you remain in a spindash charge until you either release it or it resets back to its lowest speed. In short the faster you can reach the max number of revs (which is six) and release the spindash, the faster it'll be, at which point you can take advantage of slopes to get Sonic back into a running state so as not to decelerate in instances where you're not rolling down inclines.

But the catch to all this is it's pretty much impossible to reach the max spindash speed when you only have one button to rev a spindash with, which is why most speedrunners employ the "6-tap" which is where you quickly mash the three jump buttons (based on the A,B, and C buttons on a Genesis controller) together twice and release the spindash. Its pretty tricky to actually manage to get the max speed from doing this but its so handy when you want to go fast in a pinch, and it's a shame that you can't do it in the remasters (it doesn't seem to work in Sonic CD's remaster due to how the spindash was coded in that game, even with its setting to the Sonic 2 and 3 style) due to the hardware not allowing it. I can guarantee it'll work in Mania though; I don't see why that game wouldn't have multiple jump buttons when its trying to remain as nostalgically accurate as possible.

That's one of the aspects that I love about the classic Sonic games as there's a hidden layer of techniques that a player can learn to speedrun them and continue to reduce their time. It feels rather gratifying to run through a stage rather quickly using these skills.

I do think it's a shame that the remasters of 1 and 2 aren't able to do the 6-tap spindash due to them being only on mobile.

I'm still waiting on the day we get these definitive versions on PC and consoles as it's been 4 years from there release now. 

Also Mania will have the classic controls of the three buttons all being jump so it's possible to do the 6-tap spindash:

58f808ac8ee39_ManiaControls.thumb.jpg.8e99e8ca794e63d5e3c62ae9048ca18e.jpg

Picture source: [Link]

I'm glad that this will be possible as I will be constantly trying to speedrun this game when it comes out.

• Thumbs Up 6

34 minutes ago, YuTwo said:

That's one of the aspects that I love about the classic Sonic games as there's a hidden layer of techniques that a player can learn to speedrun them and continue to reduce their time. It feels rather gratifying to run through a stage rather quickly using these skills.

I do think it's a shame that the remasters of 1 and 2 aren't able to do the 6-tap spindash due to them being only on mobile.

I'm still waiting on the day we get these definitive versions on PC and consoles as it's been 4 years from there release now. 

Also Mania will have the classic controls of the three buttons all being jump so it's possible to do the 6-tap spindash:

I'm glad that this will be possible as I will be constantly trying to speedrun this game when it comes out.

There will probably be a time attack mode in Mania like in Sonic remastered, which is great for speed running

33 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Question, was online multiplayer ever said to be a thing officially or not?

There has been no word on additional features, including multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Question again...

Anybody notice that, when a second act starts, the sign post does a little animation?

6 hours ago, YuTwo said:

Looking at that pic and seeing that Y is being used for nothing reminds me: I hope they make going Super Sonic a separate button like in Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I hope they make going Super Sonic a separate button like in Sonic 4.

I'm confident they will. Would be stupid not to! Mapping Super Sonic to a different button is the only thing Sonic 4 did right XP

I'd also prefer an option allowing to transform from Super back to normal Sonic, like in Sonic 3 Complete.

• Thumbs Up 4

IF we have Super Sonic playable, it's possible he won't be in the game period, or might be final boss only.

Edit

Thinking about it... The layout of stages in Sonic Mania really aren't built for Super Sonic so that gives me reason to doubt its availability. It's essentially CD just with stages from other games, and having Super Sonic in CD definitely doesn't seem like it would work so...

I dunno. The stages just don't look right for a super form.

I'm personally expecting Super Sonic. We know the game has special stages, so unless the player is collecting something other than the Chaos Emeralds, I don't see why we wouldn't get him.  

Mania's level design also looks to be more in line with S3&K than CD, from what I've seen, but even if it were mostly molded after CD, I don't think that's a reason Super Sonic wouldn't work. He breaks the design of pretty much every level in all of the classic games, anyway. Platforming sections become too wonky, or skippable, because he accelerates so quickly, and jumps so high. Not to mention stuff like this

hqdefault.jpg

Plus Super Sonic's been in the past few games. Colors, Generations, Lost World. 90% sure he'll be in Mania, too. 

• Thumbs Up 5