Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Seesaws aren't really that interesting a gimmick. They can be made more interesting in working with the level design, though. So there's that.

10 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

There's undeniably a lot of new content in Mania. It's got the revamped Classic stages which may still rub you the wrong way, but Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon are totally new. MS is obviously loosely based on the fabled Dust Hill, and even then it's little more than just the overarching aesthetic. The layout, music, art, enemies and gimmicks are all totally new. You're right that that's all the idea of Mania though. It's supposed to invoke nostalgia by revamping the things that older fans fans will remember fondly, and create some new content in vein of them. Anyone who wants some new Classic Sonic action should get a kick out of Mania, at least in part if the Classic stages don't do it for you. Personally speaking, Mania is the game I've been wanting since... well fuck. Since I started school.

To add to this, the original classic games are among the very few that are still remembered well critically and outside of the fandom, even the adventure games over time have had a harder time standing up to age than the Genesis titles. The appeal of Mania is further reaching than a new modern Sonic game.

13 hours ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

Personally I have next to zero hype for this game, I can say its honestly is going back to Sonics roots and I'm sure it will be fun except ... well nothing in it looks new, It just looks like they are rehashing previous games ideas even for the stages that are not remixes, I suppose thats the idea it just doesn't make it very appealing to me.

Well, bad for you but I believe alot of people will get pumped up when the full game is in our hands. I have a ton of trust in CW and the team working on this game. I know people wanted a new classic game full of new levels but hey, it can still happen in the future if we get dlc stuff or a sequel. GHZ Act 2 got me hyped and I can't wait to see other remade levels. Don't get depressed too early, just wait and see.

3 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

Well, bad for you but I believe alot of people will get pumped up when the full game is in our hands. I have a ton of trust in CW and the team working on this game. I know people wanted a new classic game full of new levels but hey, it can still happen in the future if we get dlc stuff or a sequel. GHZ Act 2 got me hyped and I can't wait to see other remade levels. Don't get depressed too early, just wait and see.

Oh I'm not getting depressed over it at all, I will most likely get it eventually, I'm just saying its not really on my radar right now.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:36 PM, CleverSonicUsername said:

That flamethrower thing seems really oddly placed.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, Maxtiis said:

There might be a U-ramp just to the right of the platform it is placed on, and it's moved slightly to the left to prevent the player from being blindsided by it if they decide to roll up there and still have a place to land, although you will most likely grab the handholds if you have enough speed when rolling so it may end up being a nonissue.

Leak the whole game why don't ya, GEEEEEEZZZZZ

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Leak the whole game why don't ya, GEEEEEEZZZZZ

I knew I should have been careful when I stealthily leaked that animation. And now I've been discovered as an insider with the reveal that Sonic can roll up ramps which means that nondisclosure agreement I signed has been broken!

I gotta get outta here before Sega takes legal action!

Spoiler

Also all instruments for Mania's music will be replaced with Sonic 4's dying cats as punishment for listening to Green Hill Act 2's music before you were supposed to!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must be leaving.

fXv2Q.gif.65c4085ada9ced132ae31acfe323f3b8.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

I knew I should have been careful when I stealthily leaked that animation. And now I've been discovered as an insider with the reveal that Sonic can roll up ramps which means that nondisclosure agreement I signed has been broken!

I gotta get outta here before Sega takes legal action!

Reveal hidden contents

Also all instruments for Mania's music will be replaced with Sonic 4's dying cats as punishment for listening to Green Hill Act 2's music before you were supposed to!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must be leaving.

fXv2Q.gif.65c4085ada9ced132ae31acfe323f3b8.gif

It's too late. I've already informed SOA legal and you've been banned from both Sonic Stadium and life.

• Thumbs Up 6

It would be super awesome to see him do some official promotional artwork. The man's style is so alluring and wholly unique.

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Guys

The king returns.

I see he still has a fondness for giving Sonic longer appendages, much like his artwork for 3D Blast.

I wonder if he will try to sneak a fang or two in there?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Guys

The king returns.

Looks like someone is excited about it!! It's really nice to see this, Naoto-san isn't working on Sonic anymore (or is he?), but he still cares a lot about his creation and the fans, just look at his Facebook page. That doesn't happen with Crash for example, the original creators, Andy and Jason are pretty much apathetic and indifferent towards the new game. But Charles Z. (Crash's character designer) is still very fond of his creation, tho'. 

Back on Sonic, I see that Yuji Naka is still very fond of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 9

5 hours ago, Zippo said:

OHHHHHHH man. Is he doing new promotional art for the game?

The drawing of Sonic (on the left) not smiling reminds me of:

C_ATkTOWsAEzLF6.png

I wanna play Mania so badly!

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Jango said:

Looks like someone is excited about it!! It's really nice to see this, Naoto-san isn't working on Sonic anymore (or is he?), but he still cares a lot about his creation and the fans, just look at his Facebook page. That doesn't happen with Crash for example, the original creators, Andy and Jason are pretty much apathetic and indifferent towards the new game. But Charles Z. (Crash's character designer) is still very fond of his creation, tho'. 

Back on Sonic, I see that Yuji Naka is still very fond of Sonic.

I'm not surprised, he helped create one of the most significant icons of an entire industry; if I were in his shoes I'd also be pretty proud of an achievement like that, despite whatever reputation Sonic may have accrued over the years.  Maybe this is just a case of "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I wonder if Mania may have rekindled any of his passion for Sonic, after all its physics system strives to be as 1:1 as possible to the one he coded himself for the original series which to me would be incredibly flattering.

And on the subject of Naoto Oshima's artwork I'm still greatly looking forward to that art book. He probably contributed the most previously unseen artwork in it. Which leads me to think all that artwork he's been posting on his twitter is teasing what he contributed to it...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 04.05.2017 at 4:59 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Guys

The king returns.

Great drawings B)

Maybe Yuji won't be willing to, but it would be really nice if he collaborated somehow with the Mania Team ^^

Yuji Naka's largest contribution to Sonic's legacy is his skill as a programmer: the Retro Engine pretty much covers Mania Team in that regard; other than that Naka would otherwise be a director or producer, and that doesn't really change this far into development. If anything, a role as a creative consultant would be all he could be reasonably expected to contribute.

A thumbs up of approval is all I would expect from him. 

• Thumbs Up 7

37 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yuji Naka's largest contribution to Sonic's legacy is his skill as a programmer: the Retro Engine pretty much covers Mania Team in that regard; other than that Naka would otherwise be a director or producer, and that doesn't really change this far into development. If anything, a role as a creative consultant would be all he could be reasonably expected to contribute.

Yeah, pretty much.

I remember Stealth & Tax needed approval from Naka (& Iizuka) when they made the new version of Hidden Palace for the remaster. But yeah, Naka's input isn't needed for Mania. Of course I'm sure Team Mania would appreciate his or any member of Sonic Team's feedback. It's nice seeing so many members of the original Sonic Team involved in Mania's promotion, especially Naoto.

To be fair Naka has attended fan conventions like Summer of Sonic and some of the recent 25th anniversary events. Iizuka knows fans really like Naka, so it would be nice if they could use him in some way to promote Mania (although no doubt he's a busy guy with his work for his studio Prope).

After Mania's release wouldn't it be cool if all the original members of Sonic Team got together and did a live-stream of them playing Mania?!

• Thumbs Up 6

Yuji Naka basically had the idea of Sonic [emoji14] Nothing special...! Right now, I also only expect him to give thumbs up to Sonic Mania. He will also mostly likely buy and play it with his kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Yuji Naka basically had the idea of Sonic emoji14.png Nothing special...! Right now, I also only expect him to give thumbs up to Sonic Mania. He will also mostly likely buy and play it with his kids.

Pretty much, he got the idea of a fast moving platformer after trying to speed run the NES Mario games and even created a tech demo demonstrating level design concepts like 'smooth maps' and rapid side scrolling that were integral to realising his vision, all this was before Oshima even designed Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I agree. However, if I was in the Mania team, there's a thing I'd totally do: asking Naka if there was something big that he would have liked to add to the classics. There must be some great ideas left behind after Sonic & Knuckles.

Let's not forget the third wheel-Ohshima came up with the character concept and Naka had the notion of having Sonic being fast, but Yasuhara took the idea further and designed the games of the era about the player being fast with Sonic, which is an entirely different approach.

Speaking of whom, I'm curious if Yasuhara is even aware Mania is a thing. He has a Twitter (which he recently starting using more frequently), but the only Sonic things he's posted are the Sonic train lines in Japan and some Sonic 2/CD sketches.

Personally speaking, Yasuhara being able to get involved in Mania's development like Ohshima is doing would be the definitive icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 7

So did anyone figure out what this was about, Mania or Forces?

Also, not sure if anyone has brought it up before, so here's a discussion point. The Sonic games of the mid 90's were notorious for being loaded with cheese in their music, the entirety of Sonic R, the closing credits of Saturn 3D Blast, even Sonic CD in the early 90's as nostalgic and good for us fans had pretty cheesy intro and outro music. So...who would be interested in Sonic Mania having some cheese in its potential cut scenes (as evidenced by the earlier GIF file) as far as a possible vocal song, much like the Saturn games of the time?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd really prefer no vocal tracks at all. 

Btw, excuse my English, but what do you mean by "cheese"? XD 

1 hour ago, molul said:

I'd really prefer no vocal tracks at all. 

Btw, excuse my English, but what do you mean by "cheese"? XD 

"Cheese" as in a bit corny or lame. Sonic CD' s might not be to us as fans, but an outsider would probably have a good laugh. Saturn 3D Blast' s vocal outro song "Your My Hero" laid it on thick. Sonic R' s vocal tracks were over the top horrendous and are often used when bringing up cringe worthy songs in the franchise regardless of how catchy they can be.. Can You Feel The Sunshine anyone?

I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a vocal track, it's not at all needed. It was just something I thought of when I was thinking about Sonic and Sonic Teams actual Saturn games, and how Tax/Stealth and the team were trying to go for a Saturn'ish feel, then realizing most of not all of Sonic Teams Saturn games (bar Sonic Jam) had vocal tracks in them as did Sonic CD.