Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, Jango said:

I wonder what Yuji Naka thinks of this :D

I remember hearing he hated Sonic CD because he didn't work on it.

So

I'll throw my thoughts out right now, although I'll likely expand on them tomorrow.

I do not like Sonic 1, 2 or CD

I only like Sonic 3 & Knuckles out of the classic games.

However, I while it isn't enough to push them to me loving them, I find the mobile versions of the game to be a lot more enjoyable and fun thanks to the high level of work, effort, and love went into Whitehead remaking CD, 1 and 2. And it saddens me a great deal that Sonic 1 and 2 got restricted to Mobile. Under any other circumstance, I'd likely be moaning about a new Classic game by SEGA/Sonic Team because it'd likely disappoint me due to emulating closer towards Sonic 1/2/CD. However, that has changed. I am absolutely fucking excited for Mania, because Whitehead took games I flat out hated, and managed to at least push them to decency in my own opinion. To the point where, I can like Sonic 1/2 mobile, even if I still dislike CD due to the more underlining issues, such as stage control. I have faith that Whitehead will bring an great game. A game that could live up to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I am so excited.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Knuggles said:

I remember hearing he hated Sonic CD because he didn't work on it.

So

then if that's the case then he must hate all sonic games after he left

Ya know, it's not what I wanted but I'm happy for the Classic sonic fans. They deserved it after sonic 4. :)

I might check this out.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jango said:

I wonder what Yuji Naka thinks of this :D

he's probably crying too

• Thumbs Up 2

The title screen of this "Sonic Mania" game looks really similar to the Sonic Jam title screen. That might just be me though.

This game looks positive, not really excited or anything.

14 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

My thoughts: the game looks wonderful! Look, I am not a classic fan. Far from it, I am a modern Sonic lover to the core. But I will give this game a chance because they put their heart and soul in it. Am i sad it's not a 3D adventure with no boost and long story? Yes, however classic games are what the fans have been wanting and what fans have been screwed over for years. Sonic 4 was not a classic adventure at all and finally they get what they want.

We modern fans have gotten what we wanted for years so it's time for the classic fans to enjoy Sonic again.

Us Adventure fans, though.

x4vz1ti.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Crazy thing to consider, if this is coming to NX(which it likely will), and it gets a physical release on that platform(which is possible), and the rumor about the NX's game media format is true... for the first time since Sonic and Knuckles we will have a 2D console cartridge Sonic game

Man, I've been waiting years for something like this.

I think the best part is that I don't feel cautiously optimistic like whenever a Sonic Team game is announced. With Whitehead and Stealth working on it I already know the gameplay and controls are going to be on point. Also the visuals are amazing.

Jesus. Both Sonic Mega Drive and Sonic Mania are scratching that itch that made me a fan of the series in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crazy thing to consider, if this is coming to NX(which it likely will), and it gets a physical release on that platform(which is possible), and the rumor about the NX's game media format is true... for the first time since Sonic and Knuckles we will have a 2D console cartridge Sonic game

• Thumbs Up 1

Now, look.

I wasn't born when the first three games came out. I lean slightly more towards the Modern era, but I enjoy the classics and realize Sonic wouldn't be the unstoppable force he is today without 'em.

And I would be lying if I said this didn't look really good. Plus, it's glad to hear SEGA gave Whitehead and Stealth a chance at doing their own thing. I'll gladly give this baby a shot when it's out.

• Thumbs Up 1

guys after the faux 2D Sonic games we've gotten over the years, I know Adventure/Modern fans are upset and I kinda wanted one too but

lets just take it a step at a time

this for now

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

The title screen of this "Sonic Mania" game looks really similar to the Sonic Jam title screen. That might just be me though.

This game looks positive, not really excited or anything.

I think that was meant to be the point, due to the re-imagined stages. No better way to represent that with an updated title screen with a homage to the Jam screen, something that represents a collection of the classics.

Objectively, the game looks great. It's got beautiful environments and it looks like it'll run well. All the Classic Fans should be happy. Perhaps they won't entirely feel that the wait has been 100% completely worth it but I can't imagine why they'd be mad at all. 

Subjectively, I'm...not excited. At all. But I'm also not disappointed since I knew going into this that whatever they would reveal would not be something I cared about or wanted to see again. As someone who didn't grow up with the Classics as their introduction to the series, there's no nostalgia or hype for me to grasp onto. When I finally played the classics, I didn't particularly like them because they were too hard and to this day I've never beaten a single one of them without having to pause and save Mega Collection to cheat my way to an un-fun victory. They had no story, no character interaction, and no 3D so I was kind of left out in the cold.

If there is more to what they have yet to reveal I'll be there to see it for certain. I doubt this is all there is. However, currently, I'm realizing that I was right. What they had to show was going to make a good chunk of people happy. But it certainly wasn't going to be someone like me. I'll accept that I'm getting left behind from here on in so long as Sonic can get his rep back. 

Seems like there's good times ahead for the series at last. If that trailer is anything to go by. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds. I hope it's something everyone enjoys. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh yeah... PC.

Oh hey mods.

@Tracker, You could put Miku in it?

...challenge accepted.

Also I shall now eat crow because CLASSIC SONIC GAME

• Thumbs Up 2