Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

it doesn't matter why the ratings were poor at all. poor ratings are poor ratings, and when a show's ratings are poor, it's not likely to continue. period. that backs up my argument well enough. why the ratings are poor is irrelevant.

And we're saying that the ratings being poor have nothing to do with the show itself, but the network's fault. They hurt the ratings, when the show has proved that it has been able to score high ratings with proper treatment.

16 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

you're just trying to make excuses for the poor ratings

These "excuses" are legitimate factors that can impact ratings, and a great way of understanding what the network can do to improve them. No one is even denying the poor ratings, so there's no reason to even "make excuses". But people are understandably upset that a show that has proven to have great potential in ratings keeps getting shafted, and is suffering as a result. But, you know, keep dismissing the problem as "excuses".

• Thumbs Up 1

if cartoon network wanted to give sonic boom proper promo again to boost ratings, they would have done so. instead, they gave the show the boot and exiled it to the lesser known boomerang as solace. safe to say cn is done with the show

so why the ratings dropped is irrelevant. regardless of why, they dropped and the cn got rid of it. with that, it's unlikely they'll bring the show back for a third season.

1 minute ago, GucciBurr said:

if cartoon network wanted to give sonic boom proper promo again to boost ratings, they would have done so. instead, they gave the show the boot and exiled it to the lesser known boomerang as solace. safe to say cn is done with the show

so why the ratings dropped is irrelevant. regardless of why, they dropped and the cn got rid of it. with that, it's unlikely they'll bring the show back for a third season.

There's a lot of evidence to support otherwise. Jap dub, Netflix, the leak with the Boom writer, Teen Awards, acknowldegement by Sega in many ways (Tumblr, Twitter for the Teen Awards, and in Aaron's weakly livestreams), success in other regions (mainly France as it is co-created there), multiple Awards given to the show. At this point, I'd like to believe there's more evidence for it than against it, which is something I couldn't say earlier this year, but things have honestly turned out for the better.

• Thumbs Up 2

if cartoon network wanted to give sonic boom proper promo again to boost ratings, they would have done so.

You give Cartoon Network way too much benefit of the doubt.

instead, they gave the show the boot and exiled it to the lesser known boomerang as solace. safe to say cn is done with the show

Yep. And people are upset about that.

so why the ratings dropped is irrelevant. regardless of why,

How many more times are you going to say this? I keep telling you why it is relevant. And besides, you're the one who said "the ratings are bad because it's unpopular". So the entire reason why we've been talking about the reasoning behind the ratings has been because of something you said.

1 hour ago, GucciBurr said:

they dropped and the cn got rid of it. with that, it's unlikely they'll bring the show back for a third season.

By that logic, it's unlikely they'll bring the show back for a second season, too. Because that's pretty much what they did by the time season 1 ended. And yet, here we are with season 2.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey guys. I got this crazy idea. Ok like hear me out because I'm watching the new episode of twin peaks so it's either me or evil cooper typing right now.

How about we do this.

Instead if saying "Boom has poor ratings"

We like. Look at it's time slot. Then look at other shows which are similar to it which share that timeslot. Then we compare their ratings to one another.

That way we have some actual data to compare and discuss.

And for like further like house points.

We look at the French ratings and do the same thing!?

Then we can do the same for other western English speaking reasons!

Then we have actual data to talk about!

We can do it!

It could be science!

Mr Jackpots: Hellllloooooo!

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hey guys. I got this crazy idea. Ok like hear me out because I'm watching the new episode of twin peaks so it's either me or evil cooper typing right now.

How about we do this.

Instead if saying "Boom has poor ratings"

We like. Look at it's time slot. Then look at other shows which are similar to it which share that timeslot. Then we compare their ratings to one another.

That way we have some actual data to compare and discuss.

To help with this, here's a link to an article a couple of years ago containing all of the ratings data we got for Sonic Boom in season one: http://www.tssznews.com/2015/11/17/season-1-of-sonic-boom-is-now-complete/ It contains ratings data on reruns and even some % gains that the show's timeslot had achieved over the previous year. Episode premieres are bolded and contain the name of the episode that premiered that week. Back then, Pokemon XY aired during the same hour as Sonic Boom, so if there's any show to compare to, it's that.

I needed a reason to look back at that article anyway, as I plan to do a similar table for season 2's ratings and needed to check if the formatting didn't bug out from TSSZ's site revamps.

As for other show's ratings, I tend to look at a Wikipedia episode list for the show in question, as they include ratings as well. The source for those ratings is the same source I look to for Boom ratings. For example, here's Teen Titans Go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Teen_Titans_Go!_episodes

Bonus: I actually did do some ratings comparisons in the past, and I did some digging, discovering that ratings like Boom's were more common than expected on CN. In fact, the PPG reboot has done worse, ratings-wise, than Sonic Boom did on CN. http://www.tssznews.com/2017/01/15/in-depth-sonic-boom-ratings-cartoon-network/

I think season 2's ratings have been rather poor, but season 1's? What a missed opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

You give Cartoon Network way too much benefit of the doubt.

the fact is they didn't do it and booted the show instead. ergo, cn isn't gonna do a third season

Yep. And people are upset about that.

people were upset about a lot of things cn did. didn't bring those shows back

How many more times are you going to say this? I keep telling you why it is relevant.

and i keep telling why it's not: cn doesn't care

By that logic, it's unlikely they'll bring the show back for a second season, too.

they hadn't booted the show before the second season so no

the fact is they didn't do it and booted the show instead. ergo, cn isn't gonna do a third season

You're still repeating yourself, and still missing the entire point of what we're saying.

people were upset about a lot of things cn did. didn't bring those shows back

Nobody is saying that this will do that. But I think it's only fair to criticize what Cartoon Network has done.

they hadn't booted the show before the second season so no

Then you haven't been following what has been going on with the show at all. Hardly promoting the show, slapping it into a morning timeslot, misleading its audience, not telling anyone anything, and having random hiatuses is basically booting the show. It had the exact same impact. It wasn't a literal booting, but it may as well have been like one. They never gave it a chance, and cast it aside. The show was an invisible ghost for all of season one.

8 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

and i keep telling why it's not: cn doesn't care

Cool. Doesn't make our point any less relevant. It just proves our point that CN's an incompetent channel and that they should care. Just because they "don't care" doesn't mean people aren't going to shut up about it and do nothing.

What, exactly, are you even arguing about at this point? Because all I've heard from you is "nothing matters, they don't care, no third season" when people have told you there's evidence of one (including a recent development of Bill Freiberger in France, something he hasn't done since, coincidentally, season 2 was made), and that this stuff does matter if you want to have a successful channel/show. But anytime someone addresses your point, you just go "that's irrelevant".

By the way, I see you haven't replied to this argument of mine: "you're the one who said 'the ratings are bad because it's unpopular'. So the entire reason why we've been talking about the reasoning behind the ratings has been because of something you said". So I assume you have no counter-argument to this.

• Thumbs Up 3

yeah i was wrong to say it got bad ratings because it was unpopular. my bad

my point just was, the ratings are bad so that has decreased its chances of season 3. maybe it could still get a season 3 with the international success, but still, chances are still slim

• Thumbs Up 1

yeah i was wrong to say it got bad ratings because it was unpopular. my bad

Okay then. That is fine.

5 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

my point just was, the ratings are bad so that has decreased its chances of season 3. maybe it could still get a season 3 with the international success, but still, chances are still slim

As I said, people have explained that there is evidence that a season 3 may still be happening.

And so we must return to the perennial Sonic Boom question: why did CN not have faith in the show to begin with? What prompted them to dump it in such an awful timeslot almost from the outset?

It honestly baffles me that they ordered two seasons of this shit and then proceeded to screw it over as though they wanted nothing to do with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

And so we must return to the perennial Sonic Boom question: why did CN not have faith in the show to begin with? What prompted them to dump it in such an awful timeslot almost from the outset?

Or why do they still add new episodes on-demand, if they just could remove the page with the show from their site completely in this case? It doesn't feel like anything is stopping them.

4 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

You're still repeating yourself, and still missing the entire point of what we're saying.

Nobody is saying that this will do that. But I think it's only fair to criticize what Cartoon Network has done.

Then you haven't been following what has been going on with the show at all. Hardly promoting the show, slapping it into a morning timeslot, misleading its audience, not telling anyone anything, and having random hiatuses is basically booting the show. It had the exact same impact. It wasn't a literal booting, but it may as well have been like one. They never gave it a chance, and cast it aside. The show was an invisible ghost for all of season one.

Cool. Doesn't make our point any less relavant. It just proves our point that CN's an incompetent channel and that they should care. Just because they "don't care" doesn't mean people aren't going to shut up about it and do nothing.

What, exactly, are you even arguing about at this point? Because all I've heard from you is "nothing matters, they don't care, no third season" when people have told you there's evidence of one (including a recent development of Bill Freiberger in France, something he hasn't done since, coincidentally, season 2 was made), and that this stuff does matter if you want to have a successful channel/show. But anytime someone addresses your point, you just go "that's irrelevant".

By the way, I see you haven't replied to this argument of mine: "you're the one who said 'the ratings are bad because it's unpopular'. So the entire reason why we've been talking about the reasoning behind the ratings has been because of something you said". So I assume you have no counter-argument to this.

What do you mean by new development?

4 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

my point just was, the ratings are bad 

Compared to what.

Data please.

3 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

It honestly baffles me that they ordered two seasons of this shit and then proceeded to screw it over as though they wanted nothing to do with it.

Wikipedia says that they wanted to make Boomerang "more desirable" which doesn't make too much sense since the show only airs about two hours a week on that channel; plus would a lot of people really pay extra money for a single show?

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

What do you mean by new development?

I said recent development.

It happened not too long ago, but not something that just happened.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Okay. What is the recent development?

I said what it was in the same sentence...

(including a recent development of Bill Freiberger in France, something he hasn't done since, coincidentally, season 2 was made)

Nevermind. So let's there might be a Season 3 what do you think they'll do? I mean they kind of changed things up with Season 2 so far by having a more solid continuity and having a multi-patter episode

To be fair Frieberger being in France doesn't necessary mean Sonic Boom. For all we know the same people could be producing/writing Sly Cooper. 

Wow, there's only 13 unknown episodes left? With the 4 new episode titles and that "In less than three minutes" episode where Sonic becomes a delivery guy, unless that is Mister Eggman? Might work if the Doc gets involved in the business.

May Shadow return in the Buddy Buddy temple episode? In Season 1 it was about Sonic and Eggman, and I'm not sure what other duo would be interesting enough unless it's just Eggman again with someone else because Team Sonic seems to get along fine. Then again Shadow might also be in "The Lair of Horrors" considering we were told he lives in a cave..

Oh well he's probably in none of those xD I wish they had paced out the game character appearances more, the press release promising familiar faces feels like a blatant lie by now. And I know it's not the Boom teams' fault because Boomerang is not airing the episodes in production order and some episodes may not even be finished yet, but it could have helped people maintain a little more interest in Boom if they e.g. had Rouge in "The Midnight Hour" episode from the beginning of the season, then Shadow for the mid-season finale and another surprise character for the end. The same could be said for Season 1, where they debuted Metal Sonic in Episode 45 or something and then Shadow in the finale. Oh well, gonna keep that speculation for the other topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

To be fair Frieberger being in France doesn't necessary mean Sonic Boom. For all we know the same people could be producing/writing Sly Cooper. 

I don't think so on that, because the producers of the Sly Cooper TV show said that they don't exactly agree with Sonic Boom and that Sly will more closely be like the games, but with the movie designs and they just clarified any confusion the other day that the show is coming first then the movie second. So having the same team working on Sonic and Sly not likely, it is the same animation, but not the same team. Somebody even tweeted Bill Freiberger on Twitter about any new info about the Sly Cooper TV Show and he said he doesn't know anything else than what we heard. The Sly Cooper TV Show is being produced by Blockade Entertainment, distributed by PGS worldwide (I don't know if that includes USA) and developed by Sony and Technicolor. Merchandise for Sly Cooper has also been announced for release around the same time including Sly toys and other stuff, a Sly Cooper stuffed toy is now available after being announced back in March 2017.

44 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Wow, there's only 13 unknown episodes left? With the 4 new episode titles and that "In less than three minutes" episode where Sonic becomes a delivery guy, unless that is Mister Eggman? Might work if the Doc gets involved in the business.

May Shadow return in the Buddy Buddy temple episode? In Season 1 it was about Sonic and Eggman, and I'm not sure what other duo would be interesting enough unless it's just Eggman again with someone else because Team Sonic seems to get along fine. Then again Shadow might also be in "The Lair of Horrors" considering we were told he lives in a cave..

Oh well he's probably in none of those xD I wish they had paced out the game character appearances more, the press release promising familiar faces feels like a blatant lie by now. And I know it's not the Boom teams' fault because Boomerang is not airing the episodes in production order and some episodes may not even be finished yet, but it could have helped people maintain a little more interest in Boom if they e.g. had Rouge in "The Midnight Hour" episode from the beginning of the season, then Shadow for the mid-season finale and another surprise character for the end. The same could be said for Season 1, where they debuted Metal Sonic in Episode 45 or something and then Shadow in the finale. Oh well, gonna keep that speculation for the other topic.

Where did you see where it says  that Shadow lives in a cave? Technically episodes with returning characters might appear out of production order, look at the Metal Sonic episode, it aired as episode 44, but the production number was 128, if it was aired in production order the episode would've been the 28th aired episode. Shadow's episode aired in production order, this episode was one of five episodes of season 1 to air in order. In season 2 there are still production numbered episodes missing including; 226, 231, 234, 235, 238, 239, 241-252. Also the first 18 episodes of season two aired in production order. Here is a link to look at episode production numbers.  http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Sonic_Boom_episodes

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, LukA8 said:

That's the one nitpick i have with the series is that they tend not to use interesting snd fan-favorite characters (whether from the main canon or from the Boom franchise itself) often.  Of course we shouldn't get upset over this.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Then again Shadow might also be in "The Lair of Horrors" considering we were told he lives in a cave..

Technically the episode is is called `` The Haunted Lair".