Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

11 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

The show was on so early, my DVR recorded an Adult Swim bumper before the episode started. *sigh*

to develop relationships for one-off characters with that format-- but I wish the writers would have at least tried.

*Sigh* Indeed. Well I guess at least they didn't go through with booting Sonic Boom off into the Boomerang channel, thank goodness.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

*Sigh* Indeed. Well I guess at least they didn't go through with booting Sonic Boom off into the Boomerang channel, thank goodness.

I think if it did it would probably be the first successful show on that channel. Unless they give the same schedule as the garfield show and the new Charlie Brown cartoon while airing it everyday while their main demographic are at school. Seriously who thought that was a good idea?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I loved Tommy's smug jerkiness. It played off Sonic really well and made for some good gags. Also yes the Animation was great and I grinned so much at the AoSTH theme.

Season 2 is giving me everything I loved about season 1 but with a touch more Polish.

Ok, rewatched the episode again and I can see where Alan/Greg were going with Tommy. Tommy is very much like those characters that think they're hot stuff and they can handle anything but as soon as they are attacked, they show their true wimpy selves. So I guess the reason why Sonic let Tommy take credit for that last battle is because he took pity on him and didn't want his fans to be disappointed at him so he gave in.

So yeah, the story makes enough sense for me.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I think if it did it would probably be the first successful show on that channel. Unless they give the same schedule as the garfield show and the new Charlie Brown cartoon while airing it everyday while their main demographic are at school. Seriously who thought that was a good idea?

There's a new Charlie Brown show? And it and the Garfield show have been banished to Boomerang. Oh, pete's sake, talk about a sinister cloaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Fr0zenanus said:

so i'm watching the first few mins of this episode,

i don't mean to spew venom or anything, but jeez.

this show is so cynical, it's not funny. i literally feel bored to tears watching this type of show. it's just....what..

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Since I heard this exchange

Sonic: You are a hero, Tails!

Tails: Thanks! Though it means a lot less coming from you.

I was pulling my hair in anger. Seriously, they actually had the balls to turn a heartwarming moment into a cynical joke.

Not to mention this:

Sonic: Ugh, it's so frustrating to be following around by someone so annoying!

Tails: Oh, soooorry!

Sonic: Not you, him!

Disgusting.

Oh, and they also had the balls to insert an homage to AOSTH, a show in which the relationship between Sonic and Tails was everything BUT cynical, and Sonic was everything BUT a perpetual annoyed bored to death sarcastic and cynical dude, with a constantly bored expression on his face and a constantly whiny voice (Roger Craig Smith is just unbearable to hear, I can't believe I liked his performance in Colors and Lost World).

Seriously (and this is a serious question, not a retorical question): for those who still likes Sonic Boom, how can you stand this portrayal of Sonic?

He's just annoying, unfunny, and uninspiring. If I have children, I would never allow them to choose THIS Sonic as their role model. (yes I know there are even worse cartoon character than Boom!Sonic, but it doesn't excuse how poor Sonic's characterization is, considering this is supposed to be a cartoon aimed to children)

• Thumbs Up 6

This was a good start to the second season. I mean, it may not have made sense from a narrative standpoint (first episodes of seasons usually being for reintroducing what we know and showing how it will change), but it does showcase some fantastic animation, colors and action sequences. Nobody did anything twice in the action sequences, and what was done was almost completely independent from any of season 1's action scenes. The humor was about as good as season 1, and that was the only thing I really had no issues with, so it's fine. Lastly, the pacing was better. The episode flowed really well and actually had a conclusive ending, which was probably my biggest concern. I hope to see them get more creative with the characters in the future (you don't need to make multi-episode plots, just inject some emotion into stuff instead of sarcasm) but overall, a very good start despite the plot having relatively nothing to do with the rest of the series

Finally saw it. Wow, that was... really boring. I got used to the new animation, but I didn't really like anything else about it. The jokes weren't funny, and I didn't care much for Tommy. As someone who stopped watching the show after "Don't Judge Me", this episode didn't really impress me enough to make me wanna watch the episodes I missed. Did like the AoStH reference, though.

On a side note, am I the only one who finds Tails' voice kinda annoying? Seriously, he sounds really high-pitched to me. Makes me kinda wish Kate Higgins was still voicing him.

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit late on my opinion, but this was a great start to season 2! I particularly enjoyed Eggman screaming about his social interactions and the "Sonic doesn't have a door" gag. Eggman's "What the snap?!" got to me, too.

The animation definitely seems to have improved, the fight scenes are a little more dynamic, and the show in general seems to have a lot more polish. Here's hoping they've kept this kind of quality throughout the season.

I'm definitely coming back for more next week. Side note: this is the first time a Team Sonic member has used the Enerbeam entirely solo (i.e. without Tails' involvement). They can use them separately!

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

This was a good start to the second season. I mean, it may not have made sense from a narrative standpoint (first episodes of seasons usually being for reintroducing what we know and showing how it will change), but it does showcase some fantastic animation, colors and action sequences.

Do shows that are largely episodic typically do this? I mean, what you said would make sense for a show that follows a general narrative throughout each season, but I think it's pretty obvious by now that Sonic Boom isn't structured that way nor should people expect it to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really loved the animation of this episode. The jokes were a little bit hit or miss though. I'm seeing a lot of people complain about how Tails is a douche to Sonic this episode, but that really didn't bother me because they're best friends. Best friends are cynical to one another, I know I am with my friends. The pacing was a little bit weird, but it wasn't to bad. My main problem with this episode is that it doesn't feel like a premier. A premier should reintroduce the characters and settings (granted the premier of Season 1 failed to do the same as well). I'm hoping we can get more interactions between the characters because this seemed to be an episode between Tommy and Sonic, hence why I think this episode should've aired later. I'm interested in seeing how the next episode is going to be like.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was a fun episode. Plot is a bit weak but the jokes did make up for it.( kinda ) The animation is a huge improvement over season 1, it's quite lovely to look at it. I didn't catch that aosth reference at first though. Probably because I haven't seen that show in ages. Overall it was fun to watch. 

Yeah for people who don't like Sonic Boom or outright despises it, this season doesn't seem worth your time. Which is expected of course, not every show is for everyone especially when it comes down to comedy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Clewis said:

Do shows that are largely episodic typically do this? I mean, what you said would make sense for a show that follows a general narrative throughout each season, but I think it's pretty obvious by now that Sonic Boom isn't structured that way nor should people expect it to be.

You're correct, but even an episodic show would not normally start a season with an episode about a new maybe-throwaway character without as much focus on the main cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TearForFear said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Since I heard this exchange

I was pulling my hair in anger. Seriously, they actually had the balls to turn a heartwarming moment into a cynical joke.

Not to mention this:

Disgusting.

Oh, and they also had the balls to insert an homage to AOSTH, a show in which the relationship between Sonic and Tails was everything BUT cynical, and Sonic was everything BUT a perpetual annoyed bored to death sarcastic and cynical dude, with a constantly bored expression on his face and a constantly whiny voice (Roger Craig Smith is just unbearable to hear, I can't believe I liked his performance in Colors and Lost World).

Seriously (and this is a serious question, not a retorical question): for those who still likes Sonic Boom, how can you stand this portrayal of Sonic?

He's just annoying, unfunny, and uninspiring. If I have children, I would never allow them to choose THIS Sonic as their role model. (yes I know there are even worse cartoon character than Boom!Sonic, but it doesn't excuse how poor Sonic's characterization is, considering this is supposed to be a cartoon aimed to children)

Well, he doesn't act like that throughout the entire series or even this episode, for that matter. Season 1 featured plenty of heartwarming moments that showed that Sonic does really care about his friends-- he frequently compliments Tails (in fact, he seems to like Tails the most out of his friend group), they cooperate in battle well, there's a bunch of Sonamy hints, and he's even willing to help Eggman if things get really bad for him-- which shows a strong sense of justice and desire to do what's right even if it isn't pleasant for him. Sure he has an attitude and an ego, but well, he's Sonic. Every interpretation of Sonic is an egotistical son-of-a-gun, but that combined with his good heart and genuine skill makes him appealing in spite of, or perhaps in part because of, his ego.

Heck, this episode showed those traits a fair amount. Sonic covered for Tommy, even when he clearly didn't like the guy and nobody (including me!) would have held it against him for bragging about how he's a real hero while Tommy is just a fake or at the very least setting the record straight, because he cared about Tommy's fans (which included his friends) and knew they would be heartbroken if they found out that Tommy lied. Tails also had every reason to be offended for thinking that Sonic wasn't appreciating him and calling him annoying. Though you act like Sonic really meant that-- he didn't (he was referring to Tommy, whom he was justified in disliking considering that Tommy had just spent the entire day following him around and copying his every move), and when he quickly explained that, Tails stopped being offended and they both moved on. He also doesn't sound and look perpetually bored-- for example, when he fights, he looks and sounds pretty intense. Heck, he even taunts Obliteratorbot by leaning right in Obliteratorbot's claw and showing an arrogant smile. I also don't really hear the whine in RCS's voice, as RCS actually has one of the lowest-pitched Sonic voices out there. 

I'm not seeing where the source of outrage is, or why this is getting to you so much. Boom Sonic really isn't as bad as you think, and as many have mentioned, nobody is requiring you to watch it. But I am a little offended at the phrasing of your question "how can you stand this portrayal of Sonic?" It implies that everybody views the character the same way as you do and also implies that you have a serious problem with the idea of people liking a character you don't-- neither of which were intentional, I hope, but nonetheless there.

34 minutes ago, Clewis said:

Yeah, most shows will generally choose a first episode that reestablishes the show. This is especially the case with the second season, where creators want to work to rectify the mistakes of the first season, expand on what the season established, and weed out unwanted elements. The second season also tends to be the one to finalize the show's identity and define the show's format for the foreseeable future, so its important that it starts off well and with an establishing episode. As for Boom... well, Tommy Thunder: Method Actor kind of does that. It establishes that the bar has been raised for animation quality quite a bit and also that Season 2 will include action and fight scenes more often and with more variety. It shows that the show will retain the same sense of humor as before too. But it doesn't really establish how the main cast has been refined, if it has been refined, because the plot focuses on a one-off character instead of one of the main cast. All I could notice was Sticks being toned down a bit. It also doesn't establish what's going on in the music department-- on one hand, the OP is unchanged and thus still alright at best, on the other hand, we had a really good remix of AoStH's theme for the fight against Obliteratorbot. It also doesn't tell me what kind of plots I should expect from Season 2.

Personally, while this episode is by no means bad, this isn't the episode I would have picked for a first episode. I would have gone for something that focused on the whole team working together to deal with a threat, or that focused on redeeming a character like Mike the Ox.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, TearForFear said:

Because it's not actually anything like you're trying to spin it as. You try to rail against its supposed cynicism, but you're freaking out over utterly harmless scenes. You're acting like if it isn't the most saintly and cloyingly sweet thing possible, then it's horrifying obscenity (you won't "allow" your hypothetical children to see Boom Sonic as a role model, what?).

Anyway the episode was ok. Animation seems a bit bouncier and the AoStHesque music was a nice touch, but it wasn't especially funny, so eh.

• Thumbs Up 7

So with that nonsense aside, Alan Denton gave some insight into the writing process of Tommy Thunder: Method Actor.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

Best friends are cynical to one another, I know I am with my friends.

Who said it had to be best friends?

EVERYONE IS CYNICAL TO ME.

I'D KNOW.

• Thumbs Up 7

8 minutes ago, Soni.exe said:

shut up donnie

Anyways, we have two references to AoStH in the show along with a reference to Underground. So here I am wondering when we'll get a reference SatAM, the OVA or X?

Welp, for the OVA reference....

....this fucking show man.

OH MY GOD. You have got to be kidding me. WHAT? That is absolutely hilarious.

I can only add to what has been said about the animation quality. I thought it looked great, a much improvement from the first series. The episode itself was decent enough, I enjoy the show and will continue to watch it when I can. Can anyone enlighten me on the AoSTH reference, i seem to have missed that!!

5 minutes ago, Tails25 said:

I can only add to what has been said about the animation quality. I thought it looked great, a much improvement from the first series. The episode itself was decent enough, I enjoy the show and will continue to watch it when I can. Can anyone enlighten me on the AoSTH reference, i seem to have missed that!!

THere's a music track in the episode that was similar to AoSTH's opening theme.

4 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

THere's a music track in the episode that was similar to AoSTH's opening theme.

Ahhh right ok, just replayed it back and spotted it. I would not have spotted that in a million years in the first place!!! Pretty sweet, nice to pay homage to it (It's my favourite of the Sonic cartoons) :D

This stands out to me as being pretty funny. I guess we can expect to see more MehBurger incompetence throughout the season. Though the funny thing is, that toy with 12% less jagged edges appears to be a squeaky blimp-- which, being made of rubber, shouldn't have any jagged edges in the first place.

Mehburger: Innovators of Fail

• Thumbs Up 2