Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

13 hours ago, Soni said:

BREAKING NEWS: Sonic Boom is now on Netflix....

...in Spain.

Welp, better than nothing.

http://www.sonicparadise.net/2016/12/sonic-boom-ya-disponible-en-netflix.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EDIT: And it's in Italy too, apparently.....

C0HDGCXWIAAQcKm.jpg

Not gonna lie, my heart skipped a beat when I read that first line. Oh well. Wonder if this is a sign that it will be coming to America soon. The show would get advertised properly, and I'd be able to support the series.

Part of me isn't sure that's happening, seeing as SEGA made a deal with Hulu for SVOD (streaming video on demand) rights to Boom (U.S.-only, at that). Might as well get an account over there if you're a U.S. citizen and want to support the show.

But hey, it might happen. Who really knows?

Getting it on US Netflix would be an amazing step in the right direction. See to it, SEGA, if at all possible.

Also, in terms of the whole @MysteriousGirl 92 debacle: I'm with Donnie, maybe PM the people concerned rather than issuing a blanket 'cease and desist' which confuses everyone.

Although I will say that if you're generally not a fan of the show and only have overly-analytical criticism to offer, this is probably not the best thread to be posting in. Not saying that opinion isn't valid, just that the vast majority of people in here seem to want to discuss the show in a positive light. 

To paraphrase the wonderful Captain Amelia: "to moan and whine about Sonic Boom on this particular board demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic. And I mean that in a very caring way."

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Part of me isn't sure that's happening, seeing as SEGA made a deal with Hulu for SVOD (streaming video on demand) rights to Boom (U.S.-only, at that). Might as well get an account over there if you're a U.S. citizen and want to support the show.

But hey, it might happen. Who really knows?

Dang, I didn't know they had a deal with Hulu. I tried to get the Spanish version of Netflix but there doesn't seem to be a way to change regions. Oh well, all I can do now is hope that Sega tries to get Boom on the U.S. Netflix somehow.

1 hour ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Also, in terms of the whole @MysteriousGirl 92 debacle: I'm with Donnie, maybe PM the people concerned rather than issuing a blanket 'cease and desist' which confuses everyone.

And likewise, if you're confused about something a mod says PM them and sort it out instead of dredging it up after we try to re-rail things. Never mind Kiah was addressing what one person said and you're piling on about something that's actually not all that confusing. Oh, and the little @ callout wasn't necessary at all.

Just get back on topic and stop telling us how to do our jobs. And, no, you can't continue discussing it here. PM someone on staff or go over our heads and talk to the admins. This is done. Any further attempts at continuing this derail will be deleted on sight.

39 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Although I will say that if you're generally not a fan of the show and only have overly-analytical criticism to offer, this is probably not the best thread to be posting in. Not saying that opinion isn't valid, just that the vast majority of people in here seem to want to discuss the show in a positive light.

To paraphrase the wonderful Captain Amelia: "to moan and whine about Sonic Boom on this particular board demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic. And I mean that in a very caring way."

I just want to quickly point out that these paragraphs here basically prove why posting in the thread as opposed to writing PMs is a good idea. The message I get from this is, "If you have an unpopular opinion, don't bother posting!" and honestly, that's an absolutely terrible message to be sending on a discussion forum where the free exchange of differing opinions is encouraged, and even if the specific violation wasn't made, the exact same attitude and perspective that SBR2 shared in his "lighten up" posts is present here, meaning that he's apparently not the only one who needs to learn a lesson about this issue. (Yes, I understand that strictly speaking, the sentences I quoted may be "correct" in that you probably aren't going to have a particularly enjoyable discussion or get many people to see things from your point of view if you don't like the show and care so much about things that other people don't care about, but everyone has the right on these forums to make their opinion known and try to get people to see what they mean.)

This is exactly why we choose to not always have a laser focus on one specific member every time we need to issue a "cut it out" statement, even if not everyone was engaging in that specific behavior. We may use our own judgment and decide that it's the kind of issue where there's a fairly high possibility that others can fall into making a similar mistake, even if they haven't done the exact thing we're talking about yet.

You're entitled to have your own opinions about whether our approach is the best or not, but I hope you can at least understand where we're coming from and what we're trying to do. Like Zaysho said, I highly recommend to everyone that, if you have concerns about moderators' behavior, try PMing either a moderator or administrator about it. That's a far better way to handle things.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, it would seem I've run afoul somewhat. Apologies to the mods. And I'll bear it in mind; should I have any future concerns, I'll shoot one of you a PM. Might as well practice what I preach.

So. to try steer the topic to another direction, there is one common thing I keep noticing about the criticisms, and I think it comes down to this.

Some people want Boom to be something that it isn't. Like there's instances where Boom does go too far with making characters unlikable, or does do some jokes but really bomb hard, but when I see people complaining that characters aren't being nice to each other or this isn't some hard hitting drama, or people are shrugging off what others do, you're kinda asking for a different show altogether. Boom is a comedy show, first and foremost, and sadly, that's just what a lot of comedy boils down to. It boils down to people taking potshots, taking the piss out of each other, and more. Doug Walker puts it best, comedy needs to have some kind of misery to work, let it be pain, or something as simple as a character not getting the reaction that was expected from them. 

Take the latest episode for example. If Tails captured Sonic legitimately, and Sonic acted heartbroken, and destroyed, and all of that, not only would it be completely out of character, but there'd be no comedy to come out of it. However, if Sonic has a sarcastic or snarky attitude to the situation, like patting Tails on the head when one of his traps failed, that's not only showing a reaction not expected, but also Tails' plan going wrong, therefore adding comedy. It's why Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are so funny. If Daffy Duck acted like he was legitimately about to die after Elmer Fudd shoots him after a Bugs/Daffy skit, you won't laugh, you'll just be like "This is a cartoon, this shouldn't be taken so serious". But if Daffy makes a sarcastic comment, and looks pissed, it shows him in pain yes, but not overly saddened or depressed, which allows us to laugh at it. 

There's a point where you genuinely just have to lighten up with this series, and I'm not saying this in a harsh or mean way, but people have to realize that there's different tones for different series, and that will determine how all of the series as a whole is meant to be looked at. Sonic Boom is a comedy. When you see Tails trying to trap Sonic on a bet, you need to have a little bit of suspension of disbelief, and realize that this isn't meant to be taken as a total betrayal of friendship. It's meant to be a stupid bet between friends based on their own ego, and that leads to comedic situations. If it was Archie Sonic, then you'd have more of a point because that's more based around story-telling, action, and a little bit of comedy. But in a pure comedy based show, a lot of it needs to be taken lightly, and when that's how all of the situations is portrayed, well you can't really blame the show for being overly harsh or anything. It's not like Modern Spongebob where it literally shows a character in actual real long-lasting pain that was actively malicious. 

• Thumbs Up 8

58 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

It's not like Modern Spongebob where it literally shows a character in actual real long-lasting pain that was actively malicious. 

That's the thing though, we don't want it to end up as dark hearted as modern Spongebob, which is why some of us speak up. I'm not saying the characters need to be happy all the time, and not hurt each other's feelings, but there's a big difference between messing around with friends, and treating friends horribly. I for one have been very impressed with season 2's portrayals. Episode 53 felt like a bland season 1 episode, but the other 5 episodes to air so far were brilliant, and hilarious. I look forward to seeing the underwater level this Christmas Eve. I'm glad there's no sign of any hiatus coming soon, and I hope it can stay that way. If CN decides to pull another hiatus out of their lazy butts, than  they should at least let Boomerang continue airing more episodes.

However, we still don't know for sure if all of season 2's episodes are complete yet, but it has been mentioned that season 2 will be another set of 52 episodes, and the episodes have been coming out with better quality and consistency over season 1. I remember season 1 starting off strong, but many felt mixed about it upon the release of Buster, and the show got more abrupt and rushed when episodes like Aim Low, and Don't Judge Me started airing. Season 2 seems to get better and better with each new episode, and I hope it can keep that pace.

11 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

That's the thing though, we don't want it to end up as dark hearted as modern Spongebob, which is why some of us speak up. I'm not saying the characters need to be happy all the time, and not hurt each other's feelings, but there's a big difference between messing around with friends, and treating friends horribly. I for one have been very impressed with season 2's portrayals. Episode felt like a bland season 1 episode, but the other 5 episodes to air so far were brilliant, and hilarious. I look forward to seeing the underwater level this Christmas Eve. I'm glad there's no sigh of any hiatus coming soon, and I hope it can stay that way. If CN decides to pull another hiatus out of their lazy butts, than at they should at least let Boomerang continue airing more episodes.

However, we still don't know for sure if all of season 2's episodes are complete yet, but it has been mentioned that season 2 will be another set of 52 episodes, and the episodes have been coming out with better quality and consistency over season 1. I remember season 1 starting off strong, but many felt mixed about it upon the release of Buster, and the show got more abrupt and rushed when episodes like Aim Low, and Don't Judge Me started airing. Season 2 seems to get better and better with each new episode, and I hope it can keep that pace.

I said there was some instances where it's find to judge the portrayals, as yes, they do go too far sometimes. However, for a lot of Season 1, and especially Season 2, I've seen people complain about this anytime they do something like this in any small way. As I said, that's small instances where you have to realize it's a comedy and those things has to happen. None of this show has had any instances near what Spongebob has done, and it's most certainly shown no signs of any of that kind of vindictive nonsense, which is why I feel we need to say this now. Everyone needs to realize there's a fine line, and stop over exaggerating when something like this happens, because it gets more and more annoying when it's the same conversation in this topic over and over again. All it ends up doing is derailing anything that the show has done right and good over something that's in pretty much each and every comedy, and is needed in there to make things actually funny.

About that Netflix thing... Weirdly enough, the show description reads literally, that Eggman's main goal in the series is to "Turn the island into a Theme Park"

As far as I know, Wasn't that just a one-off joke for a pair of episodes?  Could it be just an akward translation on EggmanLand? But then, EggmanLand has never been mentioned in the Boom spin-off, as far as I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the frozen lake where Tails looks to have finally got the better of Sonic, Sonic mentions being "Betrayed by a Chili Dog." His expression before and after saying this line reminded me of a old Road Runner/Wile E Coyote cartoon and thought it was a nice touch and gave me a bit of laugh.

7 hours ago, senor-daneeh said:

About that Netflix thing... Weirdly enough, the show description reads literally, that Eggman's main goal in the series is to "Turn the island into a Theme Park"

As far as I know, Wasn't that just a one-off joke for a pair of episodes?  Could it be just an akward translation on EggmanLand? But then, EggmanLand has never been mentioned in the Boom spin-off, as far as I know.

Nah, that's probably Eggman's actual goal in the series. What started as a one-off joke pretty much cemented his lifelong goal.

Well, being fair, Unleashed did show that Eggmanland was more like a huge outlandish theme park built in Eggman's image, and that's in the games that's meant to have a relatively less comedy-driven plot (At least before Potac and Graff took over with their uh "unique" brand of humor). It's likely they thought his plan for Eggmanland would fit perfectly into an comedy show, and that became his long standing goal, even if it was only mentioned once in-show itself. 

Seriously, if you want to see how bad Boom's humor can get, play through Shattered Crystal and get lines like "Amy only sees me as a piece of meat, WHICH IS AWESOME" (and yes, that one was the worst for me as a Knuckles fan).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Well, being fair, Unleashed did show that Eggmanland was more like a huge outlandish theme park built in Eggman's image, and that's in the games that's meant to have a relatively less comedy-driven plot (At least before Potac and Graff took over with their uh "unique" brand of humor). It's likely they thought his plan for Eggmanland would fit perfectly into an comedy show, and that became his long standing goal, even if it was only mentioned once in-show itself. 

Seriously, if you want to see how bad Boom's humor can get, play through Shattered Crystal and get lines like "Amy only sees me as a piece of meat, WHICH IS AWESOME" (and yes, that one was the worst for me as a Knuckles fan).

Shattered Crystal's comedy is pretty eh in parts, like eye in Teamwork joke, Shadow out of the shadows in Shadow Canyon and the piece of meat jokes are pretty bad. But there are nice jokes that got a decent chuckle out of me.

Just now, Soni said:

Shattered Crystal's comedy is pretty eh in parts, like eye in Teamwork joke, Shadow out of the shadows in Shadow Canyon and the piece of meat jokes are pretty bad. But there are nice jokes that got a decent chuckle out of me.

I don't know, personally I'd say there's more misses than hits. Like there is one or two lines that are decently funny, but then there's also plenty of forced lines that are pretty stupid, and don't even qualify as humor.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not denying that some of the jokes were pretty forced especially since there was a cutscene before and after a stage/race. Felt like Pontac/Graff/Guerrero just had to fill in those cutscenes with something and it shows.

Good thing Fire & Ice fixed that problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Soni said:

I'm not denying that some of the jokes were pretty forced especially since there was a cutscene before and after a stage/race. Felt like Pontac/Graff/Guerrero just had to fill in those cutscenes with something and it shows.

Good thing Fire & Ice fixed that problem.

Fire & Ice was written by the writers of the show IIRC? 

Already, the new cutscenes and such is a pretty big step up, as well as directly tying it into the show more (Why the fuck does Knuckles live on a random volcanic mountain?)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Fire & Ice was written by the writers of the show IIRC? 

Already, the new cutscenes and such is a pretty big step up, as well as directly tying it into the show more (Why the fuck does Knuckles live on a random volcanic mountain?)

Nope, that was all on the main 3 writers from SC. Freiberger and Hahnton's only contribution for that game was writing those snippets for the concept art.

Also what do you mean by that last part, like wat?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Soni said:

Nope, that was all on the main 3 writers from SC. Freiberger and Hahnton's only contribution for that game was writing those snippets for the concept art.

That's what I meant lol. The 3 main writers made so many weird and huge changes from the show that made little to no sense (Knuckles on the volcanic island, as well as supposedly having a crush on Amy from his "She thinks I'm a piece of meat" line. 

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

That's what I meant lol. The 3 main writers made so many weird and huge changes from the show that made little to no sense (Knuckles on the volcanic island, as well as supposedly having a crush on Amy from his "She thinks I'm a piece of meat" line. 

Where did Knux said that we lived in a volcano? He only said that he'd imagine that he would die inside a volcano, those are two very different things.

Oh yeah, Pontaff did made a good amount of dark humor in that game too.

Also I'm not sure what Knuckles meant by a piece of meat? Is it a sex joke? Or that he's just a bunch of useless muscle? like what?

6 minutes ago, Soni said:

Where did Knux said that we lived in a volcano? He only said that he'd imagine that he would die inside a volcano, those are two very different things.

Oh yeah, Pontaff did made a good amount of dark humor in that game too.

Also I'm not sure what Knuckles meant by a piece of meat? Is it a sex joke? Or that he's just a bunch of useless muscle? like what?

The writers of the game placed Knuckles on a random volcanic island, and he had sets of dumb bells and shit there, and IIRC, the map said it was "Knuckles' house"

The fact he had to point out that Amy saw him as a piece of meat (which generally means you're an idiot who only cares about muscles) but said it was awesome she saw him as that. Idk, for some reason it just sounds like something you'd only specifically point out if you had romantic feelings for someone (otherwise, why would Knux think it's awesome). It's possible I'm looking at it wrong tho.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

The writers of the game placed Knuckles on a random volcanic island, and he had sets of dumb bells and shit there, and IIRC, the map said it was "Knuckles' house"

The fact he had to point out that Amy saw him as a piece of meat (which generally means you're an idiot who only cares about muscles) but said it was awesome she saw him as that. Idk, for some reason it just sounds like something you'd only specifically point out if you had romantic feelings for someone (otherwise, why would Knux think it's awesome). It's possible I'm looking at it wrong tho.

It's more of a scrapyard than a volcanic island really but whatever. 

And I guess but yeah whatever Shattered Crystal's dialogue is pretty crap most of the time (outside of the 3 CG scenes)

Well better get comfy cause according to the Zapt2It Schedule we're getting two more weeks of "No New Boom on CN".

Meaning this week and the week after, the episodes that are supposed to rerun on CN aren't going to be reran.