Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Going to be honest: As messed up and cruel Cartoon Network has been treating the show I really do wished that people would stop treating it like this is the only show Cartoon Network has treated like crap. I'm sure there have been multiple treads here in the past that have listed how many shows the network has screwed over in favor for cheaper shows like the Power Puff Girls reboot, Teen Titans Go and Mighty Magic Swords. I do wish that CN would actually start giving a damn about all their other shows tho. If Sonic Boom was promoted and have a better timeslot would it have done well? Of course but I don't think that it would be the highest rating show on their channel like some folks claimed. The show is on Hulu and nobody has pointed out how well that show has been doing there. And it seems weird that the official Sonic Twitter hasn't said anything about a new episode like they used to heck the show was just announced to be on almost every country on Netflix and they didn't say anything about it at all. To my knowledge the only folks that have said anything are the writers and Mike Pollock. But hey the show is getting a Japanese dub so we'll see what happens going forward.

Metal and Shadow will eventually appear but I don't expect to see them THAT often, hopefully they'll appear for more than one episode in the season at the very least.

And next week's episode, In the Midnight Hour, seems to hint that we might see a new (or a returning one) face.

10 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

As messed up and cruel Cartoon Network has been treating the show I really do wished that people would stop treating it like this is the only show Cartoon Network has treated like crap.

Nobody's treating it like that. People are angry at how Cartoon Network has been treating the show, that's all. To be fair, I'd expect the Sonic fanbase to react to how Cartoon Network is treating a Sonic show more than any other. That's not to say they aren't fans of other CN shows that have been mistreated, but we're in the Sonic fanbase. Expect an emphasis on Sonic CN shows. =P

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Kiah said:

5qMmPtj.jpg?1
Seeing the Crab Bot snipping Sonic's air hose immediately reminded me of this:

PjJ6lxK.png?1
The Sonic X episode "Depths of Danger" where a crab does pretty much the same thing :P

Welp, there's our Sonic X reference!

We got AoStH, OVA, Underground and now X referenced in Boom! Did SatAM got referenced in Boom yet?

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/26/2016 at 0:15 AM, Soni said:

Welp, there's our Sonic X reference!

We got AoStH, OVA, Underground and now X referenced in Boom! Did SatAM got referenced in Boom yet?

There's been a Sonic X reference since episode 1. The fact that Sonic can't swim. I'm aware that Sonic couldn't swim in the original games, but it wasn't until Sonic X, where it's been put as a characteristic for Sonic. For instance, Knuckles couldn't swim in Sonic 3, but was introduced as a swimmer in Sonic Adventure 2. Other games and even Sonic X confirmed that the other characters could swim, like Tails, Amy, and Cream. It wasn't until Sonic X, where Sega started officially carrying over Sonic's lack of swimming as a weakness in later games. The first game to tease at the idea was Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, since he was the only character to wear floaties. Sonic X didn't just start the trend of Sonic being the only one who can't swim, but it also gave Sonic his phobia of water as well. In past games, we weren't given any indication that Sonic was afraid of water, we just knew he would drown if he stayed under too long. The creator admit he didn't know hedgehogs could swim in real life, which was why Sonic couldn't swim in the early games. It wasn't until Sonic X, where they showed how serious Sonic's fear of water really is. Sonic Boom could have rewritten Sonic as a swimmer, but they chose to carry on Sonic X's tradition of having Sonic not swim, and having a fear of drowning. 

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Spongbobo/library/Sonic Boom Season 2/Episode 59 I Can Sea Sonics Fear From Down Here?sort=3&page=1 Here are screenshots I took of Episode 59 - I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Down Here. 

58 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

There's been a Sonic X reference since episode 1. The fact that Sonic can't swim. I'm aware that Sonic couldn't swim in the original games, but it wasn't until Sonic X, where it's been put as a characteristic for Sonic. For instance, Knuckles couldn't swim in Sonic 3, but was introduced as a swimmer in Sonic Adventure 2. Other games and even Sonic X confirmed that the other characters could swim, like Tails, Amy, and Cream. It wasn't until Sonic X, where Sega started officially carrying over Sonic's lack of swimming as a weakness in later games. The first game to tease at the idea was Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, since he was the only character to wear floaties. Sonic X didn't just start the trend of Sonic being the only one who can't swim, but it also gave Sonic his phobia of water as well. In past games, we weren't given any indication that Sonic was afraid of water, we just knew he would drown if he stayed under too long. The creator admit he didn't know hedgehogs could swim in real life, which was why Sonic couldn't swim in the early games. It wasn't until Sonic X, where they showed how serious Sonic's fear of water really is. Sonic Boom could have rewritten Sonic as a swimmer, but they chose to carry on Sonic X's tradition of having Sonic not swim, and having a fear of drowning. 

Wrong. Underground did it, too. I don't remember what episode was (and fuck if I'm watching that piece of shit again), but I know it was present.

also, claiming that it's only an X reference because X was the first show to do it doesn't make any sense. That's like claiming it's an X reference to include Amy as a character.

32 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

also, claiming that it's only an X reference because X was the first show to do it doesn't make any sense. That's like claiming it's an X reference to include Amy as a character.

What are you talking about?! you seem to be getting defensive over nothing. All I did was point out how Sonic X started the trend for Sonic showing fear of water. Maybe Sonic Underground did it first, but I highly doubt it was what started the trend of Sonic showing fear of water. Sonic Underground was so bad, that even the Archie comics like to pretend it never happened. 

How is claiming Sonic not drowning like claiming Amy being in Sonic Boom is a reference to Sonic X? That makes no sense. Sonic X has had many things carried over into the main Sonic canon of the franchise, it wasn't just Sonic's fear of water you know. Sonic X portrayed Amy as more than the sweet girl in love with Sonic, and introduced her to have a flaming temperment when offended or threatened. Amy's temperment has been carried over into many games since, including Sonic Riders, Sonic and the Black Knight, and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Sonic X also introduced the little detail where Shadow takes off his limiters to unleash his full power. It was a detail shown before he died in Sonic X, and was reused in Sonic 06, when Shadow's Team took on Mephiles's dark army at the end of Shadow's story mode. No video game before Sonic X showed Shadow do that before, and it's obviously something taken from Sonic X. 

Sonic X also introduced more of Rouge's life as a spy. In Sonic Adventure 2, while it's revealed she was a spy for GUN, we really didn't see much of her life as a spy, until Sonic X. Sonic X introduced what it's like for Rouge to be given missions, and cooperation with GUN. It wasn't until Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, where we finally saw more insight on Rouge's job as a spy. Back in Sonic Adventure 2, Rouge was mostly portrayed as a jewel thief, and wasn't shown doing much of her secret agent life, outside of breaking into Prison Island's vault, chasing down Tails, and hacking Eggman's computer. It mostly focused on her just wanting to steal the master emerald for her own personal gain. Even Sonic Heroes didn't show much of Rouge's life as a spy, she was only brought into the story, because she wanted to steal Eggman's secret treasure, only to find out it was just Eggman trying to revive Shadow. It wasn't until Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, where we saw Rouge be more open about her being an agent for GUN. Her role as an agent has overshadowed her SA2 portrayal of being a jewel thief. Sonic X showed that Rouge has more capabilities than being obsessed with jewels, and later games of the series have shown that as well. Sonic 06 took Rouge's role as a spy even further, by giving her the little hand bombs she can throw and latch onto surfaces. Rouge may still have been greedy in Sonic X, but it did show more of how good of a spy Rouge could be, and has carried over well into the games, ever since Shadow the Hedgehog was released. 

Sonic X also influenced how Eggman has been portrayed in later games of the series. In the early Sonic Adventure games, Eggman was a less goofy and more sinister villain. Sonic X introduced a more loony version of Eggman, while still having evil motifs. Even after Sega gave the characters new voice actors, they still kept Eggman the same as he was in Sonic X, in more than just having Mike Pollock voicing Eggman. Ever since Sonic Unleashed, Eggman kept getting sillier and sillier with each new game to follow. He had a good mix of sinister and silly in Unleashed, but got sillier in Colors, even more sillier in Generations, and even more sillier in Lost World. It's clear that Sonic X's portrayal of a more emotionally unstable Eggman has influenced Eggman's character in modern games. Sonic 06 was the only game since Sonic Heroes to have a dead serious Eggman,  He was still voiced by Mike Pollock, but he was nothing like his Sonic X self in that game though. He didn't crack jokes, he mostly talked in a calm and proper tone, and only raised his voice when his plans were being foiled. Sonic 06 was trying to be a more realistic take on the franchise though (despite ending up far from it.) But right after Sonic 06's one time thing, Eggman went back to his Sonic X self.

In Sonic Boom, Eggman's portrayal is definitely more X based than Adventure 1 and 2 based. Eggman still has a few devious schemes, but he seems to enjoy goofing off and annoying everyone more than actually causing any real damage or harm. Sonic X really was the first time Eggman was shown to have moments where he jumps from being diabolical, to not taking things seriously. Remember the baseball episode, where Eggman challenged the team to a baseball game, to determine who gets the next emerald? I highly doubt the Eggman portrayed in Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 would do that. He would threaten everyone to back off, or be destroyed. 

Like it or not, Sonic X has heavily influenced many little details in many Sonic games. The only thing it didn't bring over from Sonic X, were the characters introduced in that series. But most everything from characteristics, and abilities have stayed in future releases of the franchise. 

6 hours ago, SpongicX said:

All I did was point out how Sonic X started the trend for Sonic showing fear of water. Maybe Sonic Underground did it first, but I highly doubt it was what started the trend of Sonic showing fear of water. 

Yeah no I looked it up, it was an episode called "The deepest fear". I found it on youtube:

Sonic Underground was so bad, that even the Archie comics like to pretend it never happened. 

Uh, so? It still exists, and it did the thing you're saying X did first, first.

What are you talking about?! you seem to be getting defensive over nothing.

You just typed a thousand-word wall of text about why Sonic X is so apparently influential just because I pointed out one inaccuracy.

In fact, here's all of the reasons you're wrong, too. Don't project this stuff onto me.

How is claiming Sonic not drowning like claiming Amy being in Sonic Boom is a reference to Sonic X? That makes no sense.

Well, the first show Amy was in was X, wasn't it? That makes her just as much of an X reference as Sonic being afraid of water (read: not one whatsoever)

Sonic X portrayed Amy as more than the sweet girl in love with Sonic, and introduced her to have a flaming temperment when offended or threatened. Amy's temperment has been carried over into many games since, including Sonic Riders, Sonic and the Black Knight, and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Technically the comics did that since their Adventure 1 arc, so no, that's actually completely incorrect. Not to mention Amy is about as inconsistent (flickering between innocent crush and literal stalker) as can be with her feelings for Sonic.

It wasn't until Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, where we finally saw more insight on Rouge's job as a spy.

No, not really. Those games actually show less of Rouge's spy work since in 06 they're only acting on orders and rarely communicate, and Shadow features tons of people from GUN and Rouge interacts with absolutely none of them.

Sonic X introduced a more loony version of Eggman, while still having evil motifs.

Uh.

j5m1T0V.jpg

Like it or not, Sonic X has heavily influenced many little details in many Sonic games. The only thing it didn't bring over from Sonic X, were the characters introduced in that series. But most everything from characteristics, and abilities have stayed in future releases of the franchise. 

No, no it didn't. Sonic X was influenced by the games, not the other way around. The only things kept from Sonic X are either minor or completely worthless in the current state of the franchise, and those aren't even the official things that you should have mentioned, like how Sonic Chronicles literally has outright references to the ending, or the fact that the comics still reference El Gran Gordo, something based off the X comics.

Found the schedule for CN and Boomerang next year.

Sonic boom prolly won't be on hiatus for Boomerang. On January 7th, a new episode, Multi Tails will air. (Possibly focusing on Tails?)

On the same day, CN will put reruns of the I can do worser episode. 

CN'S Repeat schedule-

Jan 14th: I can sea Sonic's fear from here.

Jan 21st: In the Midnight Hour.

Jan 28th: repeat of multi tails.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just another reminder that In the Midnight Hour is this week's episode.

Also Bill isn't going to say any details about "Multi-Tails" at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Woo! I've been gone for awhile. I got to go on vacation with my family for the past three days and had a lot of fun. I came back and finally had a chance to watch this week's episode "I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Hear". And I loved it. I love it when they exploit Sonic's fears of water, whether it had been in Sonic Underground (yeah. I watched it), Sonic X, the games themselves, it's just really funny and this episode did deliver in funny. Knuckles had some of the best jokes here with the penguins and beating up the strongest person in the yard. Amy was good this ep too, with her urging Sonic to learn how to swim knowing full well that someone could easily exploit that to their advantage, which both Eggman and Tails in the prior episode did. Also, Eggman being a good villain, don't see that every day, last time we saw that was in Designated Heroes I believe. Sonic overreacting to everything underwater was funny too. One thing that really stood out to me was the urgency the last scenes of the episode were. Sonic getting his air pump cut and Amy calling Tails for help, Sticks risking her life to get the pump for Sonic while he was gasping for air with that super epic music playing in the background. Sonic was right, that's scary. Who would want to get in the water after that? It was a really cool moment that you don'r really see a lot of in the show which makes this episode stand out to me. Lastly, Soar was awesome. It's nice to see him in the mentor role again since we haven't seen that since that Eggman episode that I can't think of right now and the new robot design was cool to see too.

On 12/23/2016 at 7:39 AM, SonicWind said:

So apparently, a Japanese dub of the show has been announced at this year's Sonic Fan Festival:

Don't know why it took this long, but hey, that's one more place Boom is airing.

That's pretty interesting. May be a sign that Sega doesn't want to kill off Boom. Idk, probably wishful thinking at this point.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:56 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Yes it's on Netflix but in certain countries like Canada and Nigeria(no seriously what?). I'm guessing the deal with Hulu didn't work out so well and are looking for a better audience with Netflix and it's only a matter of time it comes over there to the US

http://www.flixnetforme.com/title/22266/sonic-boom-2014/

Once again my heart skipped a beat when I read the first couple of lines. WHY MUST YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS SEGA!!!!!!! Well, guess I'll patiently wait until it comes to America (if at all). Hopefully the series will get proper treatment on Netflix, which could lead to a possible Season 3?????? Eh, wishful thinking yet again.

Also, a small tidbit I noticed this episode is that Sonic dog paddles when he's underwater, which is the exact same swim style he does in the Mario & Sonic Olympic games accompanied by a life jacket. I wonder if that was intentional or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

That's pretty interesting. May be a sign that Sega doesn't want to kill off Boom. Idk, probably wishful thinking at this point.

Also, a small tidbit I noticed this episode is that Sonic dog paddles when he's underwater, which is the exact same swim style he does in the Mario & Sonic Olympic games accompanied by a life jacket. I wonder if that was intentional or not.

That could be interesting. If it does well in Japan, it's possible that they won't cancel Sonic Boom, and keep it going. Best case scenario, Sega makes a Sonic Boom figure Sanzaru make a new, actually good Sonic Boom game.

I doubt the doggie paddle is a reference though. Doggie paddle is just the most natural, and easiest stroke to do if you can't swim. It would be pretty weird if Sonic was able to do the breaststroke or dolphin kick right after getting over his fear of water. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Lucid Dream said:

That could be interesting. If it does well in Japan, it's possible that they won't cancel Sonic Boom, and keep it going. Best case scenario, Sega makes a Sonic Boom figure Sanzaru make a new, actually good Sonic Boom game.

I doubt the doggie paddle is a reference though. Doggie paddle is just the most natural, and easiest stroke to do if you can't swim. It would be pretty weird if Sonic was able to do the breaststroke or dolphin kick right after getting over his fear of water. 

One thing I'd like is if Sanzaru made a 3D Sonic game that plays like Sonic does in Lego Dimensions. That's how Sonic in RoL should've played like. Or even something similar to the adventure games would be nice. Then have it be written by the show staff because the writing RoL and SC was a little left to be desired, F&I was pretty good though.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Since I'm one of the few people who like and play the Mario & Sonic games, I thought it would've been cool to have had a reference to it lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, this episode was one of the better ones that Natalys has written than the ones she wrote in her season one collection. ( I've found her episodes to be a bit meh tbf...)

I lost it in the musical montage, (we haven't seen much of that since season 1? There were montages here, but not musical). When Orbot started singing and when the robots were playing the rock music also wearing those wigs. Although Orbot's looks more super Saiyan....

Sonic's fear of water was the highlight and those faces... Poor kid! Sonic's diving suit has got his head emblem from the CGI guide! The underwater scenes were pretty nice!

Season 2 is also doing a fine job in the action and putting team Sonic in weird/challenging situations, the fight underwater proved to be tough for them, especially when the air hose was cut. The music they chose for the underwater fight sounded a bit futuristic? Though it did go back to the violin for the tension scene. 

Sticks was really nice here, diving underwater to give an extra air hose without a wetsuit, it also shows she's a pretty good swimmer... Knuckles was also funny in this episode, being loud, and mistaking seagulls for penguins.

And we finally get to see the new Shark Bots! It was neat seeing Sonic riding them to defeat Eggman. Overall it was a good action episode, though there were goofs. Just as Sonic runs from the shark bots, his scarf briefly appears. It's like that Sole Power goof all over again...

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Fusion Flare said:

Overall it was a good action episode, though there were goofs. Just as Sonic runs from the shark bots, his scarf briefly appears. It's like that Sole Power goof all over again...

What happened in Sole Power?

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

What happened in Sole Power?

Basically, sonic wears these noise proof shoes built by Eggman.

The goof was, just as he's hitting the volleyball the third time, he's briefly wearing his regular shoes. It's a blink and miss error.

To be honest, this show has had a lot of animation errors, but they don't usually detract from the show for me. Besides, most of them are easily missed.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, SonicWind said:

To be honest, this show has had a lot of animation errors, but they don't usually detract from the show for me. Besides, most of them are easily missed.

Pretty much every show has animation errors. It's just fun to point them out.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

We got what, one report of that months ago from someone we never got a confirmed identity of? I don't think it was ever happening in the first place. 

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

We got what, one report of that months ago from someone we never got a confirmed identity of? I don't think it was ever happening in the first place. 

Yeah, I never believed it in the first place. I always wait for official news, but what concerns me is the awful ratings. If they don't rise, then Season 3 won't happen and the show is really the only thing going for Boom at this point, which is why I hope Netflix can remedy this. But since Boom isn't on Netflix (in the states) as of right now, there isn't much saving the show. I guess there's the Japanese Dub too. I'm not exactly sure how well that'll do either.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

If anythig, I find the errors hilarious, and not too distracting. Most if the errors get fixed within the next scene. I also love looking through episodes frame by frame, and seeing what funny images may pop up.

I will say that while it has gotten a bit better since season 1, they still need to work on their water effects. While it looks decent in motion, it looks strange in still motion. The splashes of water look like shards of glass or dark chunks of polygons. Splashes of water shouldn't look jagged, or look like they could cut the characters up. I did like the animation for the waves and bubbles though, it wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad or distracting. It's the splash and character interactions with water that need some work on.