Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

On 12/29/2016 at 10:04 PM, blazefan519 said:

Dang, Sticks gets arrested? Well it's nice to see the police actually do their job for once.

I hope she's proven innocent. Or maybe there will be a twist where the gang come across the figure Sticks spotted, and they end up getting locked away with Sticks for the same thing as Sticks. Regardless, I hope they find a way to resolve this issue .

"In the Midnight Hour" was another great episode.

It's just too bad the mysterious figure turned out to be another Eggman creation and not a game character, but eh, that's fine. Points to Eggman, though-- I think this is the closest he's gotten to actually winning in the entire series. If only there wasn't a certain badger standing in his way...

I do like how the figure's name was the Dreamcaster (and that Knuckles even makes an indirect reference to the console, and only then did I realize it was even a reference). And of course, there was another fourth-wall-breaking joke that had me laughing. Plus, Sticks really got to shine this episode. That's all I'll say.

Not bad for Paul Shriver's first Boomisode. I wonder if there are any more episodes from him this season...

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

What does The Dreamcaster look like? Does it actually look like a Dreamcast or nah?

...Well, no. I don't have pictures, but it's basically this ghostly skeletal figure wrapped in a cloak with swirling red eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SonicWind said:

...Well, no. I don't have pictures, but it's basically this ghostly skeletal figure wrapped in a cloak with swirling red eyes.

"Swirling Eyes", huh? Heh, interesting.

In The Midnight Hour was a decent episode. Spoilers ahead! 

Many might be upset to know that the late night prowler wasn't a character from the games, it was just a grim reaper like robot built by Eggman, which was being used to hypnotize the towns folk. The robot's name was Dreamcaster (I'm not kidding, and yes, they make sure to throw jabs at it's name.) The episode starts out pretty funny. Sticks is finger painting with martial arts, and is literally doing martial "arts", when she suddenly encounters the Dreamcaster. She runs to Sonic's house, and tries waking him up. Sonic responds by asking "what is it, sugar plum?" Sticks responds by shouting "Don't call me Sugar Plum?! I'm not Amy!" (I lost it at that.) However, it turns out Sonic was literally dreaming about dancing sugar plums, because it later turns out he was already affected by Dreamcaster's hypnosis, where he makes everyone dream about sugar plums. The next scene shows Sticks coming across the Dreamcaster again, and she follows him into Comedy Chimp's studio, where he's recording a message to everyone's televisions. Sticks tries stopping him, yet ends up getting framed for destroying the studio, and her friends don't believe her, but of course, they turn out to be brain washed. They're even the ones who help arrest her.

Sticks feels betrayed and upset, but she looks out of her cell window, and sees how Eggman is behind all of this, and he mindwashes everyone to be his minions. He forces them to dance, and makes them build a satellite (with a parody of Funky Town playing.) Eggman approaches Stick's cell and points out how she must not have been brain washed, because she's the only one without a TV (technically that's wrong, because Knuckles doesn't have one, but he still watches it at his friends' house.) Sticks then breaks the fourth wall by pointing out how TV is a tool for mind washing people, she then turns to the audience and says "I'm not talking about you, keep watching!" 

Sticks manages to lure a mind washed Knuckles to smash her cell open, and sneaks home and packs a bunch of tin foil hats. She comes back, and places tin foil hats on her friends, and they help her defeat Dreamcaster, and free the town from mind control.

This episode was another good addition to Season 2's good streak of episodes. It was another Sticks centered episode, and this was definitely one of the most sympathetic episode for Sticks, since it showcases her feeling betrayed by her own friends. Normally, she doesn't let people doubting her get to her, but this episode showed Sticks at her most vulnerable, but she still manages to save the day. This episode also had some good humor, and Dreamcaster was an interesting robot, with a menacing appearance, and deep hypnotic voice. This was also the closest Eggman has gotten to victory, since he actually had everyone but Sticks under his control. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just saw it. It's alright. I thought the beginning parts were pretty good. Later parts were bit lacking to me, it could be the pacing. Oh, the little Dreamcast reference was nice. 

Pretty good episode overall. Props to Eggman for actually coming up with a vaguely threatening plot this time that would have affected the entire planet - as opposed to just the village - had it succeeded. And he got damn close.

Also, the scene where it took Eggman like 10 steps to set up the satellite was genius. "I just press this switch... then this button... then use this keypad, scan my thumbprint... swipe my ID card... enter the security code..."

Anyone else find the Dreamcaster's voice oddly satisfying to listen to, as well? I mean, I guess that's the idea, but it was wonderfully deep and smooth.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Pretty good episode overall. Props to Eggman for actually coming up with a vaguely threatening plot this time that would have affected the entire planet had it succeeded. And he got damn close.

Also, the scene where it took like 10 steps to set up the satellite was genius. "I just press this switch... then this button... then use this keypad, scan my thumbprint... swipe my ID card... enter the security code..."

Anyone else find the Dreamcaster's voice oddly satisfying to listen to, as well? I mean, I guess that's the idea, but it was wonderfully deep and smooth.

He sounded like a late night radio host for a romance radio station, yet managed to make it threatening.

Just watched the episode myself, a pretty good first episode for Mr. Shriver. Just wished I knew this guy's resume.

Nice to see that Eggman is becoming more of a threat in the past couple of episodes, granted he always was very cunning in my eyes but this and I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here is where it really shines Boom Eggman as a threat if Sonic and crew don't stop him. Also nice to see that Sticks has another episode to herself and she carries the episode pretty strongly, a lot of great jokes as well (Just got all giddy with that Thriller reference) from your classic bunch of people; Knuckles, Sticks, Eggman but heck even Wildcat got a nice laugh from me! And speaking of villagers, did anyone else caught that boar/warthog villager? Oh yeah, Dreamcaster; very subtle reference to the classic SEGA console but I get the feeling that either Kirk Thornton or Roger Craig Smith voiced him, it, whatever. But yeah, he's cool.

And hey, we get to see more new baddies. I caught eye of one of those Flying Beetle Bots from the F&I concept art while the zombified villagers were building the satellite. 

Overall, a really good episode! Now let's see what next week's episode is, is it really Multi-Tails or is it some other episode? Only Bill Freiberger will know and he'll reveal it in due time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I watched the episode and answered my own question. Can't wait to pick up dem Dreamcaster toys!

• Thumbs Up 1

SnapShot411_2_zps3fgxrd9c.png

That moment when you realize Sticks stole Amy's self painting, and was moments away from destroying it, before the cops showed up... 

• Thumbs Up 3

The references in this show are just beautiful. You can tell they know about Sonic and did their research.

If you're going to talk the talk, you also have to walk the walk!

• Thumbs Up 5

Just got done watching the episode and it was great. I've been really liking these Sticks episode this season. Dreamcaster was a very interesting Robot (love his voice and the reference). We get to see a new Boar like character which is cool. Also those new robots that were from F&I's concept art too. Overall, great episode and can't wait to see Multi Tails or whatever episode is supposed to be happening next week.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

Just got done watching the episode and it was great. I've been really liking these Sticks episode this season. Dreamcaster was a very interesting Robot (love his voice and the reference). We get to see a new Boar like character which is cool. Also those new robots that were from F&I's concept art too. Overall, great episode and can't wait to see Multi Tails or whatever episode is supposed to be happening next week.

I've spotted that boar in 2 previous episodes. He appeared in Alone Again, Unaturally, when everyone was panicking upon Eggman attacking. He also briefly shows up at the end of Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Worser. He can be spotted at Meh Burger, behind Amy and Sticks. 

SnapShot386_2_zpsavxhjzty.png

Holy Sega Genesis, that was almost a sinister episode! They are really going all out with several plots, character, and references.

I lost it at the WAKE UP SHEEPLE line, and Knuckles was such a dork in the "Dumb head" scene. I freaked out at the Thriller reference and the music in this episode. The Thriller-esque music and the tension violin music fitted really well.

tumblr_inline_oj3pxzkeDa1taxesp_500.gif

Sticks the Badger was a badass in this episode. Most of the time we see her state these conspiracy theories with the others taking this with a grain of salt, but this time it was different. We got to see her feel absolutely horrified when her friends didn't believe her even when she persisted this mind control theory (I think she has the fear of being mind controlled, let alone having her thoughts being read), to the point of her friends arresting her (cause brainwashed.) Despite the situation and even doubting herself at some point, she kept going and saved the others, her determination fuelling when Eggman was behind the whole madness. Sticks doing martial arts painting was pretty funny as well, using the same tactic to beat Dreamcaster.

Speaking of Eggman, it shows that he can be a real threat. Aside from petty plots to defeat Sonic, this one was way more sinister, with the plan to control the WORLD at stake. We did see some cunning tactics he used in other episodes, but this showed his villainy a lot more. The Dream caster is one of the few favourite robots that Eggman has made. (Aside from Orbot, Metal Sonic, and Burn Bot.) It's got a good name, and a neat design. The fact that it's almost designed like a skeleton is a literal nightmare, and that's what I like about this robot.

tumblr_inline_oj3opmfJUt1taxesp_500.png

Let's not forget the look on the gangs eyes when they're hypnotized. That was a bit creepy.

tumblr_inline_oj3n7rHc271taxesp_500.png

There were these beetle bots that helped build the Satellite, I think that's one of those bots that showed up in the concept artwork?

Overall, another good episode, really liked Sticks and the Dreamcaster and the music in this epsiode as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

I enjoyed this episode a ton. I need to look up Paul Shriver's other work because this was really good.

One on my favorite joke's was Sticks's attempts to be a "Martial Artist" Practcing in Jujitsurealism. That got a smile out of me and my Brother. Also Comedy Chimp loosing his studio in a poker game has him reaching peak Krusty the Klown.

Dreamcaster was a neat design a great reference and Roger's(?) voice for him was so smooth.

All-in-all a very fun episode. I'm so glad the Sticks episodes this season are actually good.

Dreamcaster was pretty neat. Love the voice, and the cloak and hands (plus the half-skeletal body underneath) make him seem like a fuckin dementor.

Unfortunately, my TV didn't record the two episodes before this one. Which makes me really sad. Am trying to find legal means of watching them.

But I did watch the most recent one. Wow, that was really good. Easily my favorite of season 2. Mostly because it shows my favorite character Sticks in a really good light. Seriously, she was awesome in this episode, successfully resisting the mind control device. I felt so bad for her when she thought that she really was going crazy, though I immediately thought something was up when her friends were willing to throw her in jail. It didn't seem like them... but something like that would be very Eggman to do, wouldn't it?

Sticks the "martial artist" was good too. The pictures didn't turn out that bad either! And sugarplum dreams lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/30/2016 at 3:47 PM, SonicWind said:

It's totally worth watching if you enjoy seeing Sonic and pals in all sorts of zany, hilarious situations and really enjoy clever comedy and meta-humor. However, it's a bit more sitcom-ish than other Sonic cartoons, and if you're looking for an action-packed, story-based adventure, you should look someplace else, because comedy is Boom's primary focus and it only has a small but noticeable amount of continuity between episodes (though it does have plenty of action sequences if you're into that). But it's your choice.

Also, season two so far has had a significant increase in quality, so if the first 52 episodes don't satisfy you, hopefully those episodes will.

Alright thanks. I liked pretty much everything about The old sonic the hedgehog adventures cartoon, so the humor focus isn't an issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis 2017 said:

Oh snap, Roger did voice the Dreamcaster! 

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillFreiberger/status/815564012003815425

Oh yeah, Dreamcaster; very subtle reference to the classic SEGA console but I get the feeling that either Kirk Thornton or Roger Craig Smith voiced him, it, whatever. But yeah, he's cool.

SOMEONE PICK UP THE PHONE!

Because I fucking called it!

But yeah, kuddos on Roger for doing a super soothing voice for the Dreamacaster!

• Thumbs Up 2

Before even finding out, I kinda already figured it out. Still, I really like that voice either way. Probably one of my favourite things in the episode.

On one hand, Roger really got to show off his voicing talent again, which turned out to be fantastic.

On the other hand, now I will never get Roger soothing people to sleep with his voice out of my mind.

I'm not sure whether I should be creeped out or amused.

• Thumbs Up 7