Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Honestly at this point we have enough canons to pull from. If we see a new show, I'd rather it just be an adaptation of something that already exists. Be it game adaptations with actually competent writing, some basis in the comics, or hell, just something in the game canon but not specific to any of them. I'd love to see something establishing proper history and rules for the series' underdeveloped characters and world, or heck, fleshing out 90% of every concept the games introduced.

Or just do a S3 of Boom but give it more assets. I'd totally accept that too.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I’d rather get a new show, that isn’t afraid to have some development. I wouldn’t mind having Sticks stay around. I would like a show that feels like a mix of Sonic Boom, and the modern setting and designs from the video games.

I want to see Sonic and pals going around the world occasionally, instead of being stuck on an island setting for most of the show. I want to see stories that aren’t always played for laughs. I like variety in shows, I like having episodes that are meant to make you laugh, while having some that are meant to be serious. I think it’s important for shows to know when to stop goofing around occasionally.

I wouldn’t mind if some of the same workers and animators from Sonic Boom returned, but I want to see a little more than just another comedy show.

As for the characters, I’d love to see Sonic, Tails, and Amy keep their Boom personas, but I wouldn’t mind seeing them having their modern game designs. Knuckles needs to go back to how he was in Sonic Adventure. If they really want a dumb character, then they should make a new character, and leave Knuckles alone.

Knuckles was made dumb/stupid so he could be around Sonic and the rest of the team, and because he's considered a main character. That's also one the reasons I liked Boom at first, as it was nice to see him without his duties as guardian of the M.E/chaos Emeralds and Amy as part of the gang, still in love with Sonic but not obsessed to the point of stalking him either.

I guess a new show would be cool though, and I agree that they should keep their personalities as they were in Boom. Knuckles could still be a part of Sonic's group as the power member, serious and stoic as usual, but removing any backstory/connection/duty with the gems so he can be there.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FairPlay said:

Knuckles was made dumb/stupid so he could be around Sonic and the rest of the team, and because he's considered a main character.

It was also likely so there would be a reliably goofy character on Team Sonic.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

It was also likely so there would be a reliably goofy character on Team Sonic.

Well, if that was the case, they should have filled that place with someone else, because Knuckles does not really fit that trope. Not even the most recent Modern games made him a full-blown idiot as in Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, FairPlay said:

Knuckles was made dumb/stupid so he could be around Sonic and the rest of the team, and because he's considered a main character. That's also one the reasons I liked Boom at first, as it was nice to see him without his duties as guardian of the M.E/chaos Emeralds and Amy as part of the gang, still in love with Sonic but not obsessed to the point of stalking him either.

I guess a new show would be cool though, and I agree that they should keep their personalities as they were in Boom. Knuckles could still be a part of Sonic's group as the power member, serious and stoic as usual, but removing any backstory/connection/duty with the gems so he can be there.

I agree, I would be ok with the show having the master emerald destroyed early on. They could create tension by having Knuckles fail to rescue Angel Island from sinking into the sea. Knuckles suddenly doesn’t know what to do anymore, since he feels responsible for failing to do what he was destined to do.

It could open up for a lot of possibilities for episodes. We could see a lot of development and self discovery come from Knuckles, maybe even a few funny scenarios of Sonic and friends trying to cheer Knuckles up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I agree, I would be ok with the show having the master emerald destroyed early on. They could create tension by having Knuckles fail to rescue Angel Island from sinking into the sea. Knuckles suddenly doesn’t know what to do anymore, since he feels responsible for failing to do what he was destined to do.

It could open up for a lot of possibilities for episodes. We could see a lot of development and self discovery come from Knuckles, maybe even a few funny scenarios of Sonic and friends trying to cheer Knuckles up. 

That would actually be pretty nice. It would be cool to see that event happen before all of the gang (I guess Sonic and Tails could found Team Sonic when they eventually convince the depressed Knuckles to join them), meet Amy (and possibly Sticks too) later on. By that point, all of the group would be completed.

I don't know how the M.E hasn't been destroyed/stolen already in the main continuity considering how negligent Knuckles is when it comes to his job, even once leaving the task to the animal friends (those which get captured in capsules) just to help Sonic and Tails. 

4 hours ago, FairPlay said:

That would actually be pretty nice. It would be cool to see that event happen before all of the gang (I guess Sonic and Tails could found Team Sonic when they eventually convince the depressed Knuckles to join them), meet Amy (and possibly Sticks too) later on. By that point, all of the group would be completed.

I don't know how the M.E hasn't been destroyed/stolen already in the main continuity considering how negligent Knuckles is when it comes to his job, even once leaving the task to the animal friends (those which get captured in capsules) just to help Sonic and Tails. 

That's why this needs to be done. Instead of just acting like the Master Emerald doesn't exist anymore, they need to come up with a reason for why it's not around anymore. That way people complaining about the Master Emerald can stop complaining, while fans of Knuckles can rejoice that he now has a reason to be more involved in Sonic's adventures, without looking neglectful towards his duties. They need to set up a good reason for why Knuckles doesn't look after the Master Emerald anymore, and they could do that, by getting rid of it in a dramatic fashion. At least that's how I'd go about it. 

I know some might hate the idea of destroying the Master Emerald, but sometimes, risky decisions can lead to great moments in shows/video games. Do fans of Knuckles really want Knuckles to be left out, just because he has a duty to sit on a lonely island guarding an emerald for no well explained reason? Does Knuckles's only motivation for saving the world always have to require the Master Emerald's involvement? It would get very old for Knuckles to only get involved, just because the Master Emerald is in danger, yet it feels out of place for Knuckles to be doing things away from the Master Emerald, with no explanation. They need to come up with a reason for the Master Emerald to disappear, and show how Knuckles will struggle and develop from such a tragic thing happening to him. I think a lot of great things could come from a story arc like that, whether it's a tv show, or video game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's have a bit of fun here...

If you got the chance to write your own Boom episode, what would it be like?

13 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

See my posts about the Outcast Gogoba, if you're curious.

I'll have to think about the actual question, though.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

See my posts about the Outcast Gogoba, if you're curious.

I'll have to think about the actual question, though.

Maybe I should reword that to "what would it be about?"

Simply, post your episode ideas!

• Promotion 1

7 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Maybe I should reword that to "what would it be about?"

Simply, post your episode ideas!

Ah, well then, this should be a steal...IN FIVE MINUTES OR LESS!

On 9/21/2017 at 7:15 PM, DabigRG said:

Following up on this point, here's some more concrete ideas about what I would like to see:

• I feel like Charlie the Desert Rat (and to an extent, his wife Belinda) is a good example of a perfectly good character that should be used more. After all, he is something of a personal nemesis for Knuckles, has a career as an archaeologist that opens up possibilities such as further exploring the Ancients or giving him some new weapon/power to utilize for a bit, and while somewhat similar to Dave the Intern in appearance and feebleness, he shows up much less often and is played more seriously and thus has more potential for action and drama/tension.
  • Adding to this comparison to Dave the Intern, Belinda, unlike Dave's unseen mom, is actually pretty sinister and less of a joke device. The girl centric side story episode was interesting in that it actually had her be a contender and the ending outright makes it viable that she will be an active villainess in future appearances instead of merely being a motivation for Charlie. Plus, a husband-wife Bad Guy Team is something that's not very common to begin with and has potential for some clever banter and jokes.

• Speaking of Dave the Intern, I think the show would definitely benefit from having the Lightning Bolts show up a little more often as separate threats instead of just the 4man Cast Herd they've been for a while now. This would give them a little more room to potentially be fleshed out beyond what little there is to them and also mix things up a little to minimize the issue of just about every fight being instigated by Eggman.
  • Wily Walrus in particular is my favorite of three, if only due to hilarious first impression and the "muggy" voice he has that seems like it's a sendup to something. He could probably be more of a physical threat given he's the stockiest of the Lightning Boltz, something the rogue's gallery is sorely lacking.
  • The Weasel Bandits' introduction made them seem like a foreign force that didn't have a real presence in Hedgehog Village. Maybe we get some outskirt lore from them using the leader. They could act as a group of traveling vagabonds that victim the villagers much like they did to the Gogobas in their first appearance.
  • And how about a little less of the Nutria himself. Now, I don't mean to sound like I'm hating on Dave--particularly since he is indeed a significant milestone of the show deciding to keep some continuity and is somewhat flexible in usage due to being the sole employee of Meh Burger--but we see so much of him compared to just about every other Boom character and there were indeed a few times where he started to grate on me a little. Also, to let him get in a little on the point above, maybe have a few conflicts caused by him involve a little more inventiveness on his part rather than just leeching off Eggman. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure there were instances where he invented some form of weapon or trap himself.

• I know this is something of a weird pick and I did notice a little bit of adversity to him while getting caught up on what's been discussed since I lost the ability to watch for a long time, but I really think Swifty the Shrew could make a return or two, given that there were multiple copies of him  and it's not like Eggman doesn't recycle the same robots every few epsidoes. Perhaps he could even be reintroduced as a real character rather than just a robot Eggman used for a ruse, kinda like Fiona in the Preboot Archie comics.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:35 PM, DabigRG said:

I noticed we haven't really seen Comedy Chimp that much recently. He might not be the most conventional Sonic character, but he really felt like he was part of the show after a while; I actually miss the guy. Though that one tweet a few pages back doesn't exactly bode well for that notion.

• Next is the obvious character that everyone seems to like for one reason or another, Perci [Orthos] the Bandicoot. Now she is a particularly tricky example of this since she was originally created as a major character for Rise of Lyric, where her family was apparently in charge of watching over and protecting the island from villains like Lyric for generations until Team Sonic showed up(with Eggman and Metal in tow) and freed him; she was even apparently gonna be playable at one point if an <strike>unused</strike> line from Amy is any indication. And for a good while, she was one of the only characters to show up in the show proper as a background character. 
  • Now I'm gonna be honest: I think part of the reason they've been so dodgy about using her character throughout the essentially-3-in-2-seasons is precisely because of her connections to that game. It's telling that even though she was a significant feature in Fire in a Crowded Workshop, very little of it actually represented her properly due to the Rashomon-like setup and instead most of her screentime is in Sonic, Knuckles, and Amy's biased/exaggerated views of her. And considering the show barely even acknowledges (let alone syncs up with) that particular game, right down to Lyric himself being very absent(possibly due to some weird red tape) despite the Ancients being brought up on occasion, that likely takes away a major aspect behind her character's original purpose(s). It's also worth noting that much like Shadow and especially Lyric himself,  she's a bit out of theme/place in a primarily snarky and lampshading comedy show with some action-adventure elements on the side.
  • So while I wouldn't mind the show getting more mileage out of one of the [comparatively] more notable and popular characters from Rise of Lyric, I don't just see much happening with her either way.

• Another odd little thing I think would be a little neat is if the show got a little more mileage out of the Gogobas. Much like the Weasel Bandits, The Chief has thus far shown up repeatedly in Hedgehog Village despite being, you know, the Chief and being a character that originally resided outside of the usual setting; meanwhile, the actual Tribes-Chinchillas(who incidentally look nothing like Thunderbolt) haven't been seen much at all. At the very least, I think it would be neat if they introduced another distinct Gogoba character to use on occasion. And with Mr. Ian Flynn's Og in mind, this one could perhaps be the Black Sheep of the Village: either simply being less of a downer/complainer than the others or even being a straightforward jerk.

• And unless I'm forgetting something(which at this point is admittedly easy to do), I don't think we've had a Knuckles and Sticks episode yet--in fact, their dynamic is something I can't really say I know off the top of my head. One of the things I really liked about Sticks is that she kinda feels like she was partly designed/written to have some sort of contrast with each of the Sega characters while still very much being her own thing for the Boom series to have fun with. In this case, her feral origins and paranoid assertions seem like it could make for a hilarious/awesome combo with Knuckles own origins and somewhat gullible nature; and while I realize Boom!Knuckles is different enough from the main series version to make this dynamic a little skewed, he's also debatably the most recognizable/popular and hilarious of the main cast. So it's really odd that I don't recall them interacting that much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Polkadi said:

I would write episodes that expanded on the characters background, particularly shadows that actually wasn't funny all the time and made you feel and understand those characters, while also being a bit funny. 

That's it

Oh

An episode where tails gets addicted to an MMO to the degree in which he thinks he's the character and they enlist the help of eggman to help him fight him who had also been playing said mmo. 

An episode where a a character, amy or sticks finds out shadow can play the guitar and the entire episode is them trying to get him to play the guitar for people. 

An episode where the subplot is sonic having wierdly deep thoughts about his existence as a character in a franchise

2 hours ago, Polkadi said:

Easy.

Sonic gets pissed off at his friends and acts like an ass to them, then goes away. His friends, being the obedient morons they are try to bring him back, by turning into loyal as hell servants. Then, Sonic hatches a plan to take over the world and commands his friends to attack the village while stroking his ego, and his friends do that, being the obedient morons they are. Then, Eggman comes in to join the fun, constantly cheering for his robots while Sonic just sits there saying "Eh, you suck". Then Eggman destroys them in battle and flies away while Sonic is "Eh, whatever". Then Sticks bonks him on the head while yelling that he's possessed or something, and some device falls outta his ear, which turns out to be an Eggman thing, that controlled Sonic. Then they save the day, and Sonic begins acting like an ass again, because that's how Boom Sonic always was. Also, there should be a fake "Sonic sez" where Sonic says something about his stupid friends and that you should never be friends with someone who's dumb.

A mysterious gas sweeps the entire island, while everyone is asleep. When Eggman goes again to annoy Sonic, all he hears is an erinacean hiss. Eggman discovers that every citizen in town is now acting like a normal animal. But beware, the normalization doesn’t just apply to behavior, they’re slowly physically changing as well. And it’s not just animals; Eggman’s robots are starting to get simpler and simpler in their programming, and brick up. Things are starting to go all Live-Action on him, with loops crumbling, signs of animal civilization vanishing, and Eggman himself getting weary. Eggman, at the end, has everything changed back due to a series of coincidences, and by the time Sonic is already filing taxes, Eggman has other matters than nefariousness; study.

Or, Sonic and company wake up inside Sega headquarters’s Sonic Team room, managed by Sketch Turner (yes, he is a Sonic Team character). He talks about how Sonic Boom was an epic faliure that should never be forgotten, pointing them to Lyric’s mounted head. Sonic and Eggman then go through a pile of unused scripts that Sketch explains Draco Centauros got as compensation for her being a stunt double. Among the scripts are:

* The Echidna and Tasmanian Devil war episode, canned because of legal issues and due to a sudden mandate application. 

* The Game Show episode, cancelled due to the lack of success of the game

* An Episode tie-in to worlds unite, with lots of cameos.

* An Episode about Perci only, with none of the Sonic Team characters. Apparently was too pandering. 

* The return of Lyric

* Another shipping-focused episode

* A clip show

Sally Acorn then walks Sonic to a small room, labeled “Do Not Enter; Private Property”. We end with Sketch drawing Tangle.

12 hours ago, Polkadi said:

I know this is kinda an obvious answer, but i'd love an episode where the "prime" version of the characters ended up on hedgehog village, the antics between them and their BOOM counterparts would be virtually limitless, what we saw in "The Biggest Fan" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now, just imagine, both Shadows recreating the "Faker" scene from SA2. Yeah, now that's what i'm talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, NikoS said:

I know this is kinda an obvious answer, but i'd love an episode where the "prime" version of the characters ended up on hedgehog village, the antics between them and their BOOM counterparts would be virtually limitless, what we saw in "The Biggest Fan" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now, just imagine, both Shadows recreating the "Faker" scene from SA2. Yeah, now that's what i'm talking about.

I would get a laugh out of seeing the official version of Shadow kicking Boom Shadow’s ass, followed by calling Boom Shadow weak. Maybe Boom Shadow could learn something from the real Shadow.

I could see modern Tails getting jealous of Boom Tails being smarter, I could see modern Knuckles getting annoyed with his Boom counterpart, and I could see modern Amy wanting to know how Boom Amy is able to be around Sonic, without running away from her. Vector could be surprised that his Boom counterpart is successful, and doesn’t need a team.

Sonic would likely just chill with his Boom counterpart. Orbot and Cubot would get mixed up with their counterparts, while both Eggmans wouldn’t be too phased with meeting each other, because they are so used to seeing alternate versions of themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

With Sticks running around, shouting "Where's my alternate self?!" 

It would be a good way of getting Sticks into the main series. Sending everyone back, but accidentally stranding Sticks there too. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, NikoS said:

And then the Archie characters make appearances for further confusion. “Who is this... Nicole?”  “I vaguely remember her. She was a nice lady.”

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I could see modern Tails getting jealous of Boom Tails being smarter,

Which'd be weird, considering modern Tails somehow managed to make a fake Emerald that was detectable on Eggman's radar.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Which'd be weird, considering modern Tails somehow managed to make a fake Emerald that was detectable on Eggman's radar.

chaos emeralds don't exist in Boom's world, but Sonic Boom has a greater focus on the many different kinds of things Tails can build, while the main  video games mostly just vaguely acknowledge how he has gadgets. We rarely see Tails using them, aside from exposition, now in days, he mostly just relies on his little handheld from Sonic Colors, but we don't see much else from him. 

7 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

chaos emeralds don't exist in Boom's world, but Sonic Boom has a greater focus on the many different kinds of things Tails can build, while the main  video games mostly just vaguely acknowledge how he has gadgets. We rarely see Tails using them, aside from exposition, now in days, he mostly just relies on his little handheld from Sonic Colors, but we don't see much else from him. 

He still has that, his various upgrades to the Tornado, the RC vehicles, reprogramming Zavok's Roboticizer/Cyberizer and Eggman's Extractor in addition to reversing it(somehow...), and that random spaceship from Shadow's Game on his resume. And that's just the main console games besides Forces, which is no doubt where all this questioning originated.

16 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

True.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see the Chaos crystals get explored more. They didn't exactly get the best of introductions with Rise of Lyric. A shame because they remind me a bit of how Chaos Energy used to work in a lot of supplementary Classic Sonic media, where it was a corruptive force that may or may not be possible to harness for the purposes of good, a concept I thought would be interesting to bring back in new Sonic games. Though with the crystals, it seems a bit more flexible--  from what I know, I'm pretty sure you can use Chaos Crystal energy for good if you have the proper equipment and know what you're doing, but make so much as one mistake and you're screwed and/or evil.

Yet again, it'd probably be more suited for a "Sonic Boom: The Movie" sort of thing, considering the ramifications and problems involving the misuse of the crystals would probably take longer to adequately explore than 15 minutes, and I highly doubt that is going to be happening anytime soon.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So this is something that's been on my mind late: could you picture Lyric being redeemed? 

Not really, having him redeemed would feel too forced. He was clearly set to destroy all living creatures, and replace everything with machines. People like that can’t be redeemed.