Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Sonic Warrior said:

So ,is it definitely dead or can we still hope for anything?

I've watched Season 2 again and boy, it gets better and better. I'm glad we got at least 2 seasons to have some fun. It was a great run. Sonic deserves everything good. 

Not saying this to be mean or anything, but it's dead, and it's been dead for a long time, and really, anyone thinking there was a chance was pretty much holding onto false hope. Everything else Boom related was dead by the end of Season 2, and a full year with no announcement was the nail in the coffin. 

The reality is, Sonic as a brand has just moved far beyond Boom, a sub-series that wasn't even liked much to begin with. And it sucks, because I liked Boom for what it is, but it's clear now that SEGA has refocused their efforts in Classic and Modern, especially with the success of Mania. With a new animated series announced, Boom's all but dead in the water.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

I just realized something.

SEGA forced Big Red Button to move production of Sonic Synergy (aka Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric) to the Wii U so the Nintendo-exclusive deal could be completed.

However, even if you exclude the Boom 3DS games, there was a FOURTH Nintendo exclusive Sonic title called Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games that technically could've worked as the third and final Nintendo-exclusive Sonic title, so SEGA probably never had to force Big Red Button to port Sonic Synergy to the Wii U in the first place.

Oh shoot.

Yeah, I heard about that and it honestly never occurred to me.

I’m not expecting any more Boom. It would be nice if we could get Season 2 at all in the UK though. Yeah, you could argue they are on YouTube to watch, but some of them in particular are so low res it’s jarring to watch them on anything bigger than a large smartphone screen. Which is a shame because the episode themselves look really nice.

4 hours ago, caitash said:

I’m not expecting any more Boom. It would be nice if we could get Season 2 at all in the UK though. Yeah, you could argue they are on YouTube to watch, but some of them in particular are so low res it’s jarring to watch them on anything bigger than a large smartphone screen. Which is a shame because the episode themselves look really nice.

Yes, Season 2 is even better than 1, it has a lot of improvements, although I loved season 1 too, it's a really funny cartoon. I'm just glad it got 2 seasons at this point. It's clearly not coming back though, let's be realistic, let it die in peace. I liked it for what it was, and it's definitely a better product than the '90s cartoons.

If the rumors are true, that they already are working on the next cartoon, there is no real reason to continue with Boom. Also, Sega really didn't care much about the cartoon anyway. They didn't promote the cartoon properly and they never even told us, that the cartoon will end after the second season.

Sonic Social Media hardly cares about any Sonic stuff that is not main games. At least they promoted season 1 on twitter and season 2 on Tumblr. But yes, it's likely dead.

"Our downfall". I guess this is the final confirmation that Boom is over that anyone could need. Sega should have announced instead of us having to basically just wait it out for a year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, pppp said:

"Our downfall". I guess this is the final confirmation that Boom is over that anyone could need. Sega should have announced instead of us having to basically just wait it out for a year.

Yeah, I guess Sonic Mania Adventures is rather dumb, and what Sega wants. Or those IDW comics. 

Yeah, MODE. 

Mania Adventures isn't anywhere near dumb. If anything, it's actually quite clever in how simplistic it is, whilst getting the point across. If you can successfully get across the characters' personalities without using any words, and not only do that - but base humour solely off their expressions, and interactions with others, then that's a sign of a pretty cleverly written series.

You don't need to be striking social commentary in order to make your humour "smart", and to be honest, in ten years from now - something like Boom's jokes could be dated due to trying to be social commentary linked in our current world of controversy which might not be relevant later, whilst Mania Adventures remains timeless with it's humour. 

And to be absolutely frank, like I don't even see Boom's brand of humour as really smart or cutting edge due to these kinds of jokes either. Don't get me wrong, you can tell there's a lot of effort in the humour and writing. This wasn't Teen Titans Go level of comedy, and some jokes were done really well and portrayed well to kids and adults. But Boom has had it's fair share of silly humour as well. And that's perfectly fine, because a lot of Boom's jokes work like that, like a wide majority of Eggman's antics during the sleepover episode with Sonic and Tails is comedic gold, but there's an element of silliness and goofiness to it.

I don't know, when I think of Boom's humour, I think about how it plays with character personalities and interactions in a fun, lighthearted and goofy way. I don't immediately think of the few social commentary jokes it made and believe the show was clever for doing that. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

13 hours ago, pppp said:

I wonder what processes Freiberger is considering said downfall to entail.  I think probably the biggest nail in the coffin was Cartoon Network kicking the show to Boomerang, so is Bill saying they did that specifically because his show is smart?  Is he implying that standard Cartoon Network shows are dumb?  Is he implying the leadership of Cartoon Network is dumb? (Not that anyone has to imply that.)

Ultimately, Sonic Boom is easily one of my favorite comedy cartoons in a decade, but a part of me was irritated that it was never seemed capable of more because everything submitted to Rule of Funny.  Yes; that feminism joke was hilariously brilliant, but it also felt TOO brilliant for Knuckles with how they usually wrote him.  It felt like they were altering him between unbelievably stupid and surprisingly smart as jokes demanded, similar to how Amy flipped between a voice of sanity and object of mockery, which makes it too hard to be genuinely invested in such characters.

Also it feels like Sonic Mania Adventures might be aping that show's disserious tone a tad too much.  Eggman still felt like a joke, and while many people find the Christmas episode charming, to me it feels to reminiscent of how in Sonic Boom the battle between the heroes and villains is little more than friendly competition.  It doesn't help that Metal Sonic is still dead-serious; threatening to choke Ray at one point.

I actually want a more serious Sonic show now.  One where everything that happens both feels and is treated as substantive.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mania Adventures is still a 15 minutes short, with no dialogue, it's not dumb but definitely not comparable to an action comedy of 104 episodes. It is definitely harder to write and produce. It might have been too much of a sitcom and not enough Sonic-y but it was still funny. Although I expect more plot and action from a Sonic show. This is why I prefer the comics.

18 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Mania Adventures isn't anywhere near dumb. If anything, it's actually quite clever in how simplistic it is, whilst getting the point across. If you can successfully get across the characters' personalities without using any words, and not only do that - but base humour solely off their expressions, and interactions with others, then that's a sign of a pretty cleverly written series.

You don't need to be striking social commentary in order to make your humour "smart", and to be honest, in ten years from now - something like Boom's jokes could be dated due to trying to be social commentary linked in our current world of controversy which might not be relevant later, whilst Mania Adventures remains timeless with it's humour. 

And to be absolutely frank, like I don't even see Boom's brand of humour as really smart or cutting edge due to these kinds of jokes either. Don't get me wrong, you can tell there's a lot of effort in the humour and writing. This wasn't Teen Titans Go level of comedy, and some jokes were done really well and portrayed well to kids and adults. But Boom has had it's fair share of silly humour as well. And that's perfectly fine, because a lot of Boom's jokes work like that, like a wide majority of Eggman's antics during the sleepover episode with Sonic and Tails is comedic gold, but there's an element of silliness and goofiness to it.

I don't know, when I think of Boom's humour, I think about how it plays with character personalities and interactions in a fun, lighthearted and goofy way. I don't immediately think of the few social commentary jokes it made and believe the show was clever for doing that. 

I was being sarcastic about SMA and IDW. 

In case you didn't know, the Sonic Boom: Here Comes the Boom DVD comes out next Tuesday. Isn't that sweet?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

As stated in the SXSW panel, season 2 of Boom is now available on digital storefronts! Go buy it if you love the show.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

As stated in the SXSW panel, season 2 of Boom is now available on digital storefronts! Go buy it if you love the show.

Except, ironically - the UK does not got Season 2 on digital storefronts either. 

Good lord, how did the UK go from getting consistent DVD releases to not even getting S2 digitally a year after it's aired on US TVs?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

Let this cartoon be remembered for what it is: a stepping stone in the progression of Sonic media being produced more and more in-house. First Sonic X was made by a subsidiary of Sega without much ST involvement beyond design, then Boom was made as part of a massive initiative, and today we have those wonderful Neko Productions shorts, fully based on series alumni.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/28/2019 at 8:53 PM, pppp said:

Ehh a"smart kids show ?"" It was a fine kids show but  there Just sounding salty. Boom wasnt ATLA, SU OR Gravity Falls.

The feminist joke would go over most kids head anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sonic Warrior said:

So, any news in the front?

There are DVD's coming and that's it. It's dead. I loved it but it's time to accept that Boom is dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any idea on whether the episodes are coming to Google Store as well? Netflix in my country only has season 1, I wanted to see season 2 in HD.

1 minute ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Pop UK is finally going to start season 2 next week.

Holy shit, yes!

2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Better late than never, they always say. Enjoy it, guys.

Well, holy crap, That's awesome.