Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

11 minutes ago, ... said:

It's annoying to see people say that Sonic Boom's situation is because "it's unpopular" and "no one watches it"

It's not like people have too many ways of watching it legally.  

"Sticks and Amy's Excellent Staycation" was a pretty good episode. Pretty awesome to see the girls kick butt all by themselves.

Of course, there were some funny jokes in there too, like Sticks' fourth-wall-shattering glare, Eggman imitating The Matrix, and Belinda's "I just don't like the look of you" line towards Lady Goat. Love that meta-humor.

Sad that these two episodes are Denton and Hahn's last this season, though. Hope to see more out of them in season 3.

...It's gonna happen, guys. The cast and crew (and presumably SEGA) know how much we love this show.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just saw the new episode and it was pretty good. It was nice seeing Amy and Sticks interact and spend some time together and use the other's preferred activity to stop Belinda. Belinda was also a devious villian and it was interesting about whom she shot and froze (the shop keeper, Fastidious -she even says that she can't be the only one annoyed by him-, and the Goat Lady - the character she's a remodel of-) and her power up at the end and it might be a wham moment (to a lesser extent).

The only things that bothered is that Amy apparently keeps a Sonic doll which kind if makes her go briefly to Mark Tapir levels of creepy and the whole doll subplot (can't say I support trickery).

It was a nice final episode for Mr. Denton and Mr. Hahn

• Thumbs Up 1

I got so wrapped up in Saints Row 4 that I completely forgot about the new episode.

Doesn't look like it's available on CN's website anymore, either.

Guess I'm waiting for a youtube upload.

Sticks and Amy's Excellent Staycation was another fun episode. I'd say it was funnier than last week's episode. 

With the guys out of town, Amy and Sticks realize they need to make sure the town is safe, so they don't have to worry about protecting the village. They set up a Sonic decoy, to distract Eggman. There are a bunch of funny antics between Eggman confronting the decoy, mistaking it for the real Sonic. It's also funny how Amy mentioned how she didn't just make the doll for this occasion, she kept it around for... other purposes, lol. Amy and Sticks decide to have some girl bonding but their different taste in habits are getting in the way of them having fun together. Sticks likes to throw mud, while Amy likes to knit. Amy comes up with an idea to please both sides. She takes Sticks to get a mud bath at a spa, while Amy relaxes. Sticks actually enjoys the mud bath, and both girls are having fun. Meanwhile, Sonic calls Amy, and asks how they're doing, Belinda over hears, and tries telling Charlie that the Sonic and the guys are out of town, and they can take over the village. Charlie is too busy excavating, which causes Belinda to take matters into her own hands. 

Meanwhile, Eggman manages to destroy the Sonic decoy, and snaps when he realizes it was a fake. He starts attacking the village, and Amy and Sticks come out of the spa and reveal they were the ones who made the decoy. That just makes Eggman angrier, and he attacks Amy and Sticks, but they manage to fight him off, using some spa supplies. The village cheers for Amy and Sticks's heroics, but then Belinda shows up in Charlie's mech suit. Angered by her husband's neglect, she attacks the villagers, and makes a bunch of funny references about the actual viewer's complaints about some of the villagers, like how they're snarky, annoying, or look like copies of each other. (I got a good laugh out of that, especially when she disliked Lady Goat for her appearance, ironic, since Belinda is basically a recolor of that character.)

Belinda decides to try taking the village herself, and attacks Amy and Sticks. The scene from last week's episode where Sonic calls Amy about him and the guys being in jail suddenly kicks in. Amy and Sticks realize their weapons aren't good enough for fighting back Charlie's Mech Suit. Amy then decides to fight differently, and finds some mud on the ground. She takes inspiration from Sticks, and starts throwing the mud at Belinda, causing Belinda to get grossed out. Sticks takes inspiration from Amy, and knits up a long scarf to trip Belinda over with. The girls then team up and take Belinda out. 

Belinda then storms home in defeat, and is about to take her frustration out on Charlie, but Charlie surprises Belinda with an anniversary gift. He was digging up at the excavation site to find her an evil mech armor, that allows her to fly and shoot missiles. Belinda is swept away by Charlie's gift, and the two suit up, and plot to do more evil together. 

I thought this was a very funny episode, full of hilarious fourth wall breaks, references, and a fun connection to last week's episode. It was also a pretty decent episode for Amy and Sticks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's interesting how lately the show has been fun of how the villagers act (Part 3 of the Robot arc, Fleaing from Trouble).

16 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Angered by her husband's neglect, she attacks the villagers, and makes a bunch of funny references about the actual viewer's complaints about some of the villagers, like how they're snarky, annoying, or look like copies of each other. (I got a good laugh out of that, especially when she disliked Lady Goat for her appearance, ironic, since Belinda is basically a recolor of that character.)

I didn't realize that.

I also have to give Colleen Villard credit in sounding different with Belinda and the Rabbit Girl in the soa.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lyric and D-fekt could also appear later in the second season, as both games have set timelines to the show, like Rise of Lyric comes before the series and Fire & Ice during the second season.

27 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Lyric and D-fekt could also appear later in the second season, as both games have set timelines to the show, like Rise of Lyric comes before the series and Fire & Ice during the second season.

D-Fekt is plausible, but I thought Lyric was banned from use after RoL flopped (hence why he wasn't in the Boom comics).

Granted, I trust the show writers to do a better job with Lyric than BRB, but mandates must be followed and I totally understand why Sega would insist that Lyric be abandoned.

6 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

i'm judging the ratings as ratings in general, not gonna give it special treatment because it's sonic

If you were judging the ratings as "ratings in general", you'd be considering a lot more factors than just "it's low because it's bad". This is a show poorly promoted and placed in a bad timeslot. Oh, and you can now add "put on a channel that very few people can watch" to the list. The ratings, when the show was actually getting some promotion, would get well over a million viewers, ratings that actually rivaled CN's own original programming. In fact, if the show was being properly managed today, with Teen Titans Go dropping in ratings and a lot of their more beloved shows coming to an end, I wouldn't be surprised if the show was among Cartoon Network's Top 5 popular shows.

And yes, audience numbers will drop if they don't even know what happened to the show. Audience numbers will drop if you take the show away from them. You don't just randomly put a show on at a Noon timeslot for 2 weeks (as they did in July 2015), then just slap it back in its morning timeslot without telling anyone. Poor ratings doesn't automatically mean that a show is bad. Television isn't just "hey, let's get ratings". There's an entire business side to it, along with legal matters, politics, and more. And while high ratings are nice, that doesn't guarantee that a show is going to continue. Many Cartoon Network shows, not just Sonic Boom, have fallen victim to the network's poor management. By the way, the show has been doing very well in ratings in other countries. It's really just North America having this problem. In fact, the show is heading to Netflix over in Japan. That doesn't come off as "it's getting poor ratings because it's bad" to me.

This has nothing to do with a show's special treetment. This has to do with a show's poor treatment. If the show was getting special treatment, we wouldn't be debating this.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Mad Convoy said:

D-Fekt is plausible, but I thought Lyric was banned from use after RoL flopped (hence why he wasn't in the Boom comics).

Don't ask for a source but... Pretty sure it was said long before ROL came out that Lyric would not be in the shown. 

Primary reason being the show is set after the game.

1 hour ago, Mad Convoy said:

Granted, I trust the show writers to do a better job with Lyric than BRB, but mandates must be followed and I totally understand why Sega would insist that Lyric be abandoned.

Sega didn't ban the use of Lyric. They simply created new mandates, in which Lyric is not to be used in the Archie Comics, they never said Lyric could not be used in the show. What happened to Lyric at the end of Rise of Lyric would be revealed in the future and that could be season 2. Here is the link to info. http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Lyric_the_Last_Ancient#Trivia

8 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sonic_Boom_episode

clearly the ratings plummeted before it got booted to boomerang.

show got bad ratings; unsurprisingly, cn took it off.

If this show is doing so naff, how come it's still selling well to other regions and being sold to other networks?

It just got put on Netflix in Japan and pretty sure it's coming to Netflix UK end of this month.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

If this show is doing so naff, how come it's still selling well to other regions and being sold to other networks?

It just got put on Netflix in Japan and pretty sure it's coming to Netflix UK end of this month.

obviously i was referring to how it's doing in america

poor ratings are poor ratings, regardless of why they're poor. the show is no longer popular with the american audience, its target audience, so it's safe to say it's not getting a third season. it doing well in other regions isn't going to be enough; i can't think of any american cartoon that was allowed to continue despite bombing in america just because it did well internationally

You'd be surprised that there alot of cartoons that continued lived on despite having poor to mediocre ratings here in America. It's usually because it does so well in other countries. Just because a show is not popular in the U.S doesn't mean it's a failure to the rest of the  world. 

9 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

i can't think of any american cartoon that was allowed to continue despite bombing in america just because it did well internationally

Boom is more of a French-American cartoon, right? Anyway, I do have some examples Alpha and Omega (seven movie sequels, I'm not kidding) , Dreamwork's Dragons ( it's now a Netflix show with a forth season coming out soon) , The Garfield Show.( There's 100+ episodes, probably because it's popular in France) 

• Thumbs Up 1

So Amy and Sticks actually had a relaxing spa weekend after all. During last week's episode, when Sonic called Amy up, I wondered if Amy and Sticks were also having a miserable time, but made up an excuse, so the boys wouldn't worry about them.

poor ratings are poor ratings, regardless of why they're poor.

Except why it's poor has been literally your entire argument.

the show is no longer popular with the american audience, its target audience,

.And then, right in the same sentence, you give that very argument.

Are you even reading what we're saying? Because you're just repeating the same argument we've addressed already.

2 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

it doing well in other regions isn't going to be enough; i can't think of any american cartoon that was allowed to continue despite bombing in america just because it did well internationally

It's an American-French cartoon. It's not just a North American production. In fact, a lot of the show is made in France. Although North America and France usually get first priorities when it comes to episode premieres, Sonic Boom has always been a worldwide initiative. Hundreds of countries have gotten the show, and this number is growing. And if the show is successful in 90% of the world then, yes, I'd say it's in very good shape and that can be enough. @CottonCandy has already provided examples of shows that continued despite it struggling in America, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

my argument isn't why the ratings are poor; my argument is that the show is not likely to get a third season and i used the poor ratings to back my argument. 

anyway, we'll see if the show does well internationally. still doubt it'll be enough to warrant a third season

21 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

my argument isn't why the ratings are poor; my argument is that the show is not likely to get a third season and i used the poor ratings to back my argument.

Even with that being your argument, you didn't back it up well. You simply ignored us when we explained why the poor ratings was a flawed point to make, then repeated yourself like a broken record.

it doesn't matter why the ratings were poor at all. poor ratings are poor ratings, and when a show's ratings are poor, it's not likely to continue. period. that backs up my argument well enough. why the ratings are poor is irrelevant.

you're just trying to make excuses for the poor ratings, and these excuses have no bearing on the likelihood of a third season.

3 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

it doesn't matter why the ratings were poor at all. poor ratings are poor ratings, and when a show's ratings are poor, it's not likely to continue. period. that backs up my argument well enough. why the ratings are poor is irrelevant.

you're just trying to make excuses for the poor ratings, and these excuses have no bearing on the likelihood of a third season.

That's not a very logical way of looking at it.

If we're tackling the argument that the show "isn't popular due to poor ratings" the reasoning behind it is very important especially with presented contradictions to that statement.

Take YouTube videos for example, where anyone can search up the show anytime even if they're just clips, before Sega (politely) asked fans to take down SB videos you would see quite a number of them in the Mills because it was easy and accessible.

Actually you still do (Thank you SpongicX)

Even more than Sonic forces recently, evidently only the first debut trailer beat it by merely 200k and that videos been around since July of last year. 

Sonic Boom has an audience but a very neglected one, looking back before boomerang it was shoved in an uncomfortable time slot with minimal promotion which in business is very important to have, if you can't reach your audience and give them reasonable access to said product how can you expect it to thrive?

Sega gave a big push then stopped, CN barely made that push if not at all.

The show was doing pretty well on CN until they messed with the scheduling and stopped pushing the promotions, we had hiatus with no warning or notification, schedule changes that fluctuated. Once back to it's normal schedule it was not the same it took quite a while to adjust from all that jumping around but once some time passed numbers started to raise again. One thing people need to remember is the causal fan viewership wont dig deep outside from regular social media and TV adverts.

Sonic Booms goal was to reach a larger audiences outside of our fandom. No average Joe will know to follow TSSZ or Sonic stadium to learn these changes. At most would follow Sonic's social media along with their friends/families. Can't stress enough there's a much bigger world out there and it's silly to think "if they love the show they would just look up all this information" because a lot of the time you have to go through hoops to obtain that very information, without regular social media and TV or any other promotions you're left in the dark.

Which leads to our current issue.

Boomerang In america has a 38% of american viewership, where CN has 85% which is a notable difference in audience. Most if not all my fellow fans mentioned they don't have boomerang and have to watch the show via other means which means Boom lacks accessibility. Now if you're going off official viewership numbers and not considering everything than I can see where that would make sense but it's a known fact not everyone has boomerang and has to view the show through other means, which you don't have the numbers too.

I feel Sega would benefit greatly if the show was moved to an online streaming service like Netflix or something more personalized and accessible to everyone and It's no secret the show has been well received.

Last notes

The very last episode of season one I remember the Paris Terror Attack hit that Saturday morning and was not just Sonic Boom but most shows near that time slot were affected with low rating due to everyone tuning to news stations.

Now stating those shows are not as popular because of something like that would sound absurd. This isn't "excuses because it's sonic" It's a "reasonable assessment" based on problems of promotion, accessibility and world events. From this prospective it feels like this is coming from a place of " I don't want this show to continue so these points aren't valid" hence using "because it's sonic" looks like an excuse in itself. Going by just Boomerang numbers yes that wouldn't make sense however they're a corporation and they must be aware of such things and I highly doubt they believe boomerang is the only place people are watching Sonic Boom.

Like mentioned it's an issue

All and all it feels like the negative reception of Rise of lyric is what really caused lack of faith in the Sonic boom brand and they probably underestimated the shows power. If anything it's the fans that will prove that power and this choice nomination is proof of that, wasn't for the nomination and fan support the Sonic twitter probably wouldn't have made a post promoting it to begin with and that's a pretty interesting thought.

• Thumbs Up 6

12 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheBlue said:

That's not a very logical way of looking at it.

If we're tackling the argument that the show "isn't popular due to poor ratings"

not my argument smh

my argument is that the show isn't likely to get a third season due to poor ratings. shows that get poor ratings don't normally continue, regardless of why the ratings are poor

how many views the show gets on sites like youtube have nothing to do with how it'll do on tv

17 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

not my argument smh

my argument is that the show isn't likely to get a third season due to poor ratings. shows that get poor ratings don't normally continue, regardless of why the ratings are poor

how many views the show gets on sites like youtube have nothing to do with how it'll do on tv

Something might happen though to give the show hope.

16 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

not my argument smh

If you read everything I wrote I addressed that and many more.

To be clear this was to also address what you've wrote since the last page so while that may not be what you're trying to say from that quote doesn't take away what was written earlier.

"not gonna give it special treatment because it's sonic" "the show is no longer popular with the american audience" to name a few.

• Thumbs Up 1