Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Awesome trailer! May have come a little late, but I'm just glad they made one at all. This show needs all the exposure it can get right now.

Spoiler

I also loved the "TV listings" joke. The show's meta-humor is still on point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh my god, its advertising for the show! I never thought I'd live to see the day when the show got another trailer after that early Season `1 ad!

But in all seriousness, I do like what I see in the trailer.

Spoiler

"Wow, I get to literally save the world! How often does that get to happen?"

"According to this TV schedule, once a week!"

Still smiling from that scene. Plus, it seems to be a good sign that the show is raising the stakes for Season 2 with its plots, which is an improvement a lot of people wanted. I personally wouldn't really care about if the stakes were raised so long as the episode was funny enough, but I'm happy that the show's producers are listening to criticism.

Also, can't wait to find out what ice place is that Sonic was in at 0:27. That's at least one new setting added to Season 2-- that or some stuff from Fire and Ice, I don't know.

4 hours ago, Mad Convoy said:

Oh my god, its advertising for the show! I never thought I'd live to see the day when the show got another trailer after that early Season `1 ad!

But in all seriousness, I do like what I see in the trailer.

Hide contents

"Wow, I get to literally save the world! How often does that get to happen?"

"According to this TV schedule, once a week!"

Still smiling from that scene. Plus, it seems to be a good sign that the show is raising the stakes for Season 2 with its plots, which is an improvement a lot of people wanted. I personally wouldn't really care about if the stakes were raised so long as the episode was funny enough, but I'm happy that the show's producers are listening to criticism.

Also, can't wait to find out what ice place is that Sonic was in at 0:27. That's at least one new setting added to Season 2-- that or some stuff from Fire and Ice, I don't know.

I think that's the frozen lake that we saw in The Sidekick.

Finally a trailer! It was pretty cool, Knuckles is rocking that space suit! That Tv listings joke was funny, (looks like they used pictures from Season 1 episodes! Pretty hyped for the next episode now!

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Speaking of ratings, is there any ratings data for the Season 2 premiere on Boomerang yet @SSF1991

Just checked earlier today. Sadly no.

Looks so good. I can't wait for this season to really get going.

Although I honestly hope that if there's a third season (I know I know don't get my hopes up) that they pull a Pokémon and jump ship to Disney XD or literally any other network.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, "Spacemageddonocalypse" was another enjoyable episode, and yet another sign the crew have definitely stepped things up for season 2. I mean, the music in the final sequence alone was pretty dang good.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of this season if they kept making 'em like these last two.

Sonic was so desperate to be a hero. Also, now that the episode has aired, it'll be easier to figure out which clips were from Ian's episode.

Season 2 continues a fairly decent start.

However, there is one gripe I have with the show's humour which damaged my enjoyment of it in Season 1 and which they clearly haven't gotten over in Season 2 based on today's episode.

It's the 'jokes' which revolve around extended periods of silence following/building up to a punchline. Examples: the almost 20-second silence after Knuckles says "what's the worst that could happen?" in 'Mayor Knuckles', the dead silence when Knuckles pops out of the cake in 'Eggheads' and, in the new episode, the shot lingering on Eggman's rocket being towed away for a good 10 seconds.

And I get that the fact that nothing happens is supposed to be the joke, but it's simply painful to watch. It's a Family Guy brand of humour which is awkward, comes across as padding, and chiefly isn't funny.

Aside from this, the pacing thus far in the new season feels a little... off. The stories haven't been particularly coherent and we seem to just flit jarringly from one setpiece/scene to the next with nothing in the way of a proper transition. Eggman's plan was never established properly, either. He wants to make money off an asteroid strike...? But only off people he deems worthy enough...? It just all felt very weird and sloppy.

• Thumbs Up 3

The new episode was decent, and would have been a better episode to start season 2 off with. However, I felt this episode had too much filler that went nowhere. Did we really need to watch Eggman's rocket get dragged off for 10 seconds? Did we really need to waste about 20 seconds with Knuckles asking Tails "the what?" after Tails was telling Knuckles about the SCD?

The episode wasted too much time on jokes that mostly missed more than they hit. I also found it a bit disappointing to see Sticks wasn't in space with Knuckles, the concept art from Sonic Boom Fire and Ice made it look like Sticks would have went up to assist Knuckles, she even had her own space suit, but the animators must have rushed the episode, which would explain all the scenes that drag on. I also know this part was supposed to be for laughs, but I honestly rolled my eyes when Amy started considering to give up and try getting into Eggman's Bunker, that just felt very out of character for her. Amy is not a sell out, and wouldn't abandon her friends in exchange for safety from an arch nemesis. So yeah, that joke fell incredibly flat for me. 

I did like how useful and productive Knuckles was in this episode. Tails was actually the one who messed up the plan for once, and Knuckles did a great job at improvising. I also loved the reference to the lockdown scene from 2001: A Space Oddyssey, and how Knuckles just ended up busting his way out of the ship. I also liked how Sonic pulled Amy's hammer out of nowhere, and started smashing the left over meteor bits, and we still don't know whether he intentionally missed the last meteorite, because he saw how it was heading towards Eggman's bunker,  or because he truly missed it. 

So even though this episode had too much that slowed the episode down, the final act was decent enough to give this episode a good review for. It had some nice action, some good visuals, and was overall a good Knuckles centered episode.

I can't wait for next week's episode "Nutwork", where a podcast lands Sticks a job as a TV news reporter. Just by the name alone, I had a feeling it would be an episode involved around Sticks and Television in some form, because Sticks can be considered a nut, and nutwork was clearly a play on words for network. It's too bad Cartoon Network isn't giving this show the same amount of care as Boomerang, it's their loss. If they'd rather show Teen Titans Go for the 20th time a day, instead of giving other great shows a chance at different time slots, that's their loss. Their ignorance already got them to lose a goldmine like Pokemon, they're probably going to regret it once Disney starts ranking in more money that could have been CN's, if they gave that show the attention the fans wanted. 

Just got done watching the episode, and I gotta say, it was pretty good. The humor was still a bit hit or miss for me and the pacing was a little to fast, but I did like the concept of going to space. The music in this episode was pretty epic though. And those ear movements on the characters, I love little details like that. Overall, a good episode,but the pacing and the jokes need a little work. The animation and music was amazing. And I like the fact that Knuckles got to get some spotlight. Also, Tails saying that "It's no use", may be possibly hinting at Silver being a character they bring from the main series?????? Eh, probably not.

Anyone else appreciate how this was so far the first and only episode to show a location outside of Bygone Island? Every single episode has Sonic and friends on some part of the island, yet we never saw them leave, and visit other lands. Although there wasn't too much of the outer space scenes, it was still a nice change of scenery for once. I hope to see more episodes with new locations. I'd love to see the gang travel to different lands and locations, like a big city, a mall, desert ruins, ancient castles, different planets, arctic regions, and many other distant areas to really help give a sense of adventure. There were some episodes that I felt could have been better if it involved actual travel, like Fuzzy Puppy Buddies. I originally pictured the gang would take a plane or drive out of town for Puppy Con, instead, the animators just lazily added a bunch of tents and wooden stands in the middle of the village, which was a bit lackluster. Just copying and pasting the same backgrounds with minor alterations gets really old after so many episodes. 

While Season 2 has started off a bit slow with showing off new locations, it still leaves hints at the possibility of expansion. We already know there will be an underwater episode, I hope that episode focuses more on an underwater voyage, instead of focusing on too much filler. 

19 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I can't wait for next week's episode "Nutwork", where a podcast lands Sticks a job as a TV news reporter.

Hmm, so that's what next week's episode is about. Should have guessed. I mean, I knew it had something to do with TV, but not with Sticks. I wonder how she'll handle this.

...Then again, I know all too well how she'll handle this. After all, when you give an unpredictable conspiracy theorist a job in the news, it's a guarantee: things will spiral out of control.

This should be fun.

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Anyone else appreciate how this was so far the first and only episode to show a location outside of Bygone Island? Every single episode has Sonic and friends on some part of the island, yet we never saw them leave, and visit other lands. Although there wasn't too much of the outer space scenes, it was still a nice change of scenery for once. I hope to see more episodes with new locations. I'd love to see the gang travel to different lands and locations, like a big city, a mall, desert ruins, ancient castles, different planets, arctic regions, and many other distant areas to really help give a sense of adventure. There were some episodes that I felt could have been better if it involved actual travel, like Fuzzy Puppy Buddies. I originally pictured the gang would take a plane or drive out of town for Puppy Con, instead, the animators just lazily added a bunch of tents and wooden stands in the middle of the village, which was a bit lackluster. Just copying and pasting the same backgrounds with minor alterations gets really old after so many episodes. 

While Season 2 has started off a bit slow with showing off new locations, it still leaves hints at the possibility of expansion. We already know there will be an underwater episode, I hope that episode focuses more on an underwater voyage, instead of focusing on too much filler. 

Well, with the teaser from Orbot and Cubot at the end of Season 1 and Bill Freiberger stating we'd get more locations. I can only hope that that's the case. They could easily borrow some locals from RoL, SC, and F&I.

Got agree with others here. I felt off watching this episode, surprisingly. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and the music was sweet... but there's just something off about it.

So I just saw the episode, I really liked it.

For starters as was said before, Knuckles was pretty much a highlight for the episode and the entire space sequence with him. Those were just fun especially with the music, kuddos on the 2001 reference. I also liked how Sonic was a bit on the more egotistical side this time around (I mean, he kinda was in Tommy Thunder but Joelle played it up more in this episode), it brought some good jokes. 

And while I can defend aspects on Tommy Thunder and other episodes people tend to be more harsh on, I kinda have to agree with the consensus for the most part. There was definitely a lot of pauses for the episode, personally I like comedic pauses when it's done right and it has been done well before in the show. But I think the overabundance of the pauses kinda bogged down the episode a bit, which is a shame really. Although while I can see why Eggman's plot to take advantage of the asteroid to take a profit is underdeveloped in a sense but seeing how he made a contest about who gets to get into the bunker by seeing who makes the best essay about him seems very much like Boom Eggman, he's such a self-absorbed madman, that's just in his character to do so.

So yeah, pretty good episode but the abuse on comedic pauses bogged it down.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly thought this was a good episode.

The way Eggman paniced when the asteroid was coming was pretty funny. There were some good jokes as well, the TV listings joke and the Draw straws one got a chuckle from me! The animation also had this cute ear flop!

tumblr_inline_ogxnuj4Dsf1taxesp_500.gif

What I also liked about this episode was Knuckles' role and characterisation. I thought it was kind of balanced, he's shown to be dumb, but he wasn't too dumb this time around and he actually did something badass which was really cool. The expressions he gives when he's chosen to save the world is too cute! (protect this cinnamon roll).

tumblr_ogxn17XOT31udzlioo2_500.gif

I will admit, the pause scene between Tails and Knuckles was a bit too long? And maybe the scene in which the rocket was taken away should have been quicker. They finally added the actual Wilhelm scream, which was also pretty funny. Ending was odd, maybe they could have added a scene in which the gang got them out of the bunker. The music was nice as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was almost hoping for a brief parody of "I don't want to miss a thing" and I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping Eggman's bunker would share the fate of Flanders's. But I enjoyed it.

Sonic's absolute glory hogging was hilarious. I personally get a kick out his ego in this show. Plus it was nice to see someone else actually do something useful for a change.

So Freiberger just casually dropped the episode title for the scuba diving episode, I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here.

Interesting thing is Alan Denton retweeted so I'm going to take shot in the dark thinking him and Greg Hahn wrote the episode, can't confirm though.

Another thing that Bill hinted is that it's possible they'll be another episode where Sonic and crew have to go into space later in the season.

Well, looks like I was right about Sonic's fear of water having a role in the scuba episode. I was also right about the spacesuits factoring into "Spacemageddonocalypse"'s plot, minus Sticks' suit.

I'm already imagining how the scene where Sonic gets the news they're going underwater will play out.

Also, the episode after "Nutwork" is titled "Alone Again, Unnaturally". Wonder what that one could be about? Eh, we'll find out soon enough.

Season 2 episode 2 was better then S2 EP1 I say. Was amusing to see Knuckles showing off that sometimes brawn over brain is the best answer. I feel the Dr.Eggman joke element was falling apart on this episode when he was trying to pick only a few people for his bunker... Sure there wasn't much room inside it, but it might had been funnier if he tried to forced them all in like a can of fish... Or that they didn't write the bunker to small to start with.

Due to me working nights on the weekend and the time change, my chance to see the latest episode of Sonic Boom was a bit delayed. Anyway, now that I've gotten to see it, I would like to give my take on Spacemageddonocalypse. Goodness, that's a mouthful! :P 

I really liked this episode bar the pacing being a bit off and those unnecessary long pauses which I honestly feel has no place in an 11-minute episode. Knuckles was definitely the star of this episode and this episode gave me quite a bit to laugh about and had a ton of references to various things that I enjoyed catching.

Going to jump into some observations I noticed starting off with 2 things seen in Episode 2 that weren't present in Episode 1:

617crRN.png?1
a title card

LFIm0W0.png?1
And Orbot and Cubot

EHbwae6.png?1
We've had several continuities of Sonic admiring himself in the mirror. Now add Boom Sonic to that list! It did do some good giving Tails an idea!

3v7T3hW.jpg?1
Tails is shown to be a lefty here in this shot! I'm sure it's not cannon but this lefty is delighted to see her favorite character in the cartoon seen to be the same! :P

o3FxCCg.png?1
"Drawing" straws...I saw this joke coming a mile away! :D

pH8c3mw.jpg?1
Team Sonic having another "pow-wow". After seeing this many times in the show so far this hasn't gotten old at all!

FkHq6Ps.png?1
Seeing some familiar and unfamiliar people among the crowd here while Dr. Eggman chooses his finalists to enter the bunker. Wonder if we will see more of them or if any of them will have a significant role in Season 2

zF8EOEv.jpg?1

Knuckles using a TV listing to explain how Sonic gets to save the world at least once a week is a reference to how Sonic Boom is a television series that airs once a week. Breaking the fourth wall at it's finest! Also, that TV listing uses images from previous episodes in the Sonic Boom cartoon.

NpTt55L.png?1
Knuckles handling business after the Solar Convergence Device breaks and saving the day as well smashing that asteroid-in space! :)

yMTVpuu.jpg?1
And Sonic got the chance to be a hero too-with Amy's hammer no less! 

Again I thought Spacemageddonocalypse was a good episode despite the pacing issues and pauses. In regards to the latter maybe a quick scene inside the bunker could of been made for a quick laugh or something. Despite that it was still an enjoyable episode with the jokes, music, references and very good portrayal of Knuckles. Looking forward to seeing what "Nutwork" is all about next! :)

• Thumbs Up 6