Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Hello.

I'm from England.

Can someone in simple terms explain to me why Sonic Boom being on Boomerang is a bad thing? Like is it a channel which almost nobody has or is a subscription service like Netflix which is just garbage so nobody has it? Or is it some other thing?

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hello.

I'm from England.

Can someone in simple terms explain to me why Sonic Boom being on Boomerang is a bad thing? Like is it a channel which almost nobody has or is a subscription service like Netflix which is just garbage so nobody has it? Or is it some other thing?

It's the former. Less people have Boomerang than CN, so the ratings take a hit as a result.

At least the show still airs on CN, so that lessens the blow.

Yeah, not many people have boomerang around here. And while CN will air reruns, it's still making people mad that it's not being treated well. 

Suppose, those with CN were supposed to get reruns of the space episode and nutwork on Dec 3rd. But even that's postponed to another date.

2 minutes ago, Legendary Fusion Kahuna said:

those with CN were supposed to get reruns of the space episode and nutwork on Dec 3rd. But even that's postponed to another date.

Really? Last I checked (which is just now), that's still the case.

37 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hello.

I'm from England.

From my gathering, it's not like us here where you can get all channels under a certain package. In the UK, for us you would get a package for a channel like CN and every other channel such as Boomerang, Nicktoons and such would be given to us in the same package, which is why it isn't a big deal for us in the UK.

However, in the US, their cable packages work very differently, and each provider to my knowledge only offers a certain amount of channels, either you get the main ones, which would include CN, Nickeloden, Disney Channel etc, and then the sister channels like Boomerang or Nicktoons must be bought as extra channels, or might not be offered at all under certain cable providers? Again, I'm not 100% sure that's how it works, but I think it's something similar to that, therefore a lot of people in the US might have access to the main CN channel, but not the sister Boomerang channel, and it's why it's generally considered that moving a show to Boomerang or Nicktoons for that matter is a death sentence in the US TV.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

From my gathering, it's not like us here where you can get all channels under a certain package. In the UK, for us you would get a package for a channel like CN and every other channel such as Boomerang, Nicktoons and such would be given to us in the same package, which is why it isn't a big deal for us in the UK.

However, in the US, their cable packages work very differently, and each provider to my knowledge only offers a certain amount of channels, either you get the main ones, which would include CN, Nickeloden, Disney Channel etc, and then the sister channels like Boomerang or Nicktoons must be bought as extra channels, or might not be offered at all under certain cable providers? Again, I'm not 100% sure that's how it works, but I think it's something similar to that, therefore a lot of people in the US might have access to the main CN channel, but not the sister Boomerang channel, and it's why it's generally considered that moving a show to Boomerang or Nicktoons for that matter is a death sentence in the US TV.

Indeed, cable here in the US is horrible. Starting next month, I'll have to spend $65 a month, instead of $30, just to have access to Boomerang on my Plasystation Vue subscription... The TV industry is so cruel... 

I'm from the US, and what Ryan said is basically true. In the US, Boomerang is considered a premium channel since you have to pay extra for it-- as a result, most households don't have it at all. Sometimes different providers don't offer certain channels-- though this is usually only an issue with satellite TV providers as for whatever reason they really like making exclusivity contracts to prevent other satellite cable companies from carrying channels. Traditional cable providers and FIOS seldom, if at all, refuse to provide certain channels. But that's not really an issue here as my knowledge every major provider offers Boomerang (albeit at different prices).

Though another big issue is that Boomerang is still seen as a channel that only carries old CN shows, as it was created with the intent to be a place to show the Hanna-Barbera shows, Cartoon Cartoons, and other old CN stuff, pleasing the fans of classic CN without bogging the main channel's schedule with shows that are deemed less profitable since the new generation doesn't really care about the old shows. However, besides maintaining its love of the Scooby Doo franchise, its becoming more and more like the Nicktoon channel with each passing year-- which leaves the fans of classic CN displeased while maintaining a reputation for showing old stuff that keeps the new generation from caring. As a result, not only is it not where people would look for newer shows, and not only is it premium, but people just plain don't like it for a variety of reasons. And people generally don't buy cable packages with lots of channels that they don't like. Unfortunately, one good show isn't likely to change that.

------

I did, however, catch the new episodes. I LOVED Spacemageddonpocalypse. Its a surprise Knuckles episode and actually does a pretty good job at depicting him-- his strength finally gets to be on full display as he punches a meteor in 31 pieces, complete with some intense cinematography as Knuckles tries to outrun a growing crack so that he can get back to the rocket. "Just because the world is ending doesn't mean I can't look my best!" also made me crack up, as well as all those bunker joke.

Nutwork was alright. I found it funny when Sticks jumped out of the Tornado to prove she isn't crazy. I'm surprised that she was actually onto something here-- usually the joke is that Sticks's conspiracy theories are completely off base, but here she's actually the only sane one dealing with a network that values its personal gain over the safety of the people. Plus the townspeople actually sympathized with Sticks and tried to help her! Yes! The plotline and characterization of this episode is very strong and definitely the kind I want to see more of, but the humor itself was more miss than hit (I groaned at the "Sticks and technology, sittin' in a tree" joke). Hence why I think the episode, for all it did well, was kind of meh overall

3 hours ago, SonicWind said:

So, "Nutwork" was another great episode, perhaps the best Sticks-centric episode yet.

...It's also the second one in a row to break the fourth wall. I guess that's one other thing they're doing more of this season.

It was nice seeing an episode that focused on Sticks' tendency to see the world differently from everyone else. She definitely worked hard to ensure everyone knew her opinion was right. Also, it's a strange thing seeing a Sonic cartoon, of all things, get topical with real-world stuff like media fluff, selling out, and going against your beliefs.

Hide contents

Not only that, but the townspeople did something to stop Eggman for once. I'm sure those of you with a distaste for them appreciate that.

Considering that Sam wrote the episode, I'm not surprised that there was a lot of metahumor. It's his thing.

As for the latter, Boom did tackle some real life matters like oversensitivity, the music industry and a couple more last season  

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone have a link to the episode. I unfortunately don't have Boomerang and I really don't want to wait another week just to watch an episode that I should've have been able to watch today.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Does anyone have a link to the episode. I unfortunately don't have Boomerang and I really don't want to wait another week just to watch an episode that I should've have been able to watch today.

I do not support pirating shows, but CN took the show away from us, and continue to treat it horribly, so who is the real crook here? Many of us tuned in at ridiculous times, went through ridiculous hiatus halts, and how do they repay us? By neglecting the show even more without advertising, and moving it to a channel most of us don't have. Heck! North America still doesn't have any of season 1's episodes on Blu Ray, DVD, or Digital HD even! I wasted a whole month's worth of a TV subscription just to watch Sonic Boom each week on CN, and I didn't bother tuning in, since CN either skipped the show, or showed reruns. Why should I give my time to a channel that doesn't care for any other show on it's channel, besides Teen Titans Go!?

If they think taking Sonic Boom off the air will get me to drop down to the level of taking the time to watch garbage like Teen Titans Go, well they're sorely mistaken! If Sonic Boom gets  cancelled due to low views, it won't be the fans' faults, it will be CN's fault. We tried watching the show legally, but CN made it difficult, yet try making us sound like the bad guys, when someone is kind enough to share their DVR recording of the episode many of us missed. They lost views for treating the show badly, not because people watch it online. Now I got to spend an extra $30 a month from now on, just to get Boomerang on TV... I have enough bills as it is, and I was happy enough to spend just $30 a month for TV, but now I got to spend $65 a month on top of other expenses...  

Sega needs to think smart, and save this show's life, before it's ratings go Hell deep, and ends up getting cancelled. This show has potential, and it shouldn't be ended by the hands of Cartoon Network and Boomerang. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Sega needs to think smart, and save this show's life, before it's ratings go Hell deep, and ends up getting cancelled. This show has potential, and it shouldn't be ended by the hands of Cartoon Network and Boomerang. 

Depends on what they want to do. They could just be like " We don't really wanna do boom anymore" and drop everything.I doubt it, but that could be the case. 

25 minutes ago, Soni said:

It's finally here!

Join @AAUK, @DoubleXXCross and @SSF1991 on the return of Sonic Boom Commentaries through the Uncutting Crew!

A lot has happened since the last commentary and a bunch of other shit happens.....

Oh Cool. I need something Boom related since CN won't be showing Nutwork till two weeks from now because of the stupid TTGO Marathon. It's honestly pathetic because I really want to support the show but can't. Hopefully Donnie and Crew will get me down out out of the dumps.

2 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Oh Cool. I need something Boom related since CN won't be showing Nutwork till two weeks from now because of the stupid TTGO Marathon. It's honestly pathetic because I really want to support the show but can't. Hopefully Donnie and Crew will get me down out out of the dumps.

Nah, the TV schedules say it's still airing on December 3rd. You only have to wait for less than a week.

1 minute ago, SonicWind said:

Nah, the TV schedules say it's still airing on December 3rd. You only have to wait for less than a week.

Oh, I thought the TTGO marathon delayed the scheduling. Well, it's still a bit agonizing that a got to wait a week still but it's better than not being able to watch it at all.

46 minutes ago, Soni said:

It's finally here!

Join @AAUK, @DoubleXXCross and @SSF1991 on the return of Sonic Boom Commentaries through the Uncutting Crew!

A lot has happened since the last commentary and a bunch of other shit happens.....

That SSF1991 guy is a jerk.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, SSF1991 said:

That SSF1991 guy is a jerk.

Yeah, you're right.

He should just...

• Thumbs Up 2

(LONG POST AHEAD)

It really feels like Cartoon Network and SEGA are collectively trying to sink the show. One's doing it deliberately, one's doing it by making poor choices which are scuppering its chances of success. Take a guess which is which. Hint: Cartoon Network have a bizarre elitist policy where any show which isn't their own IP gets sidelined.

But yeah; on one hand, we have CN not only putting Boom on the main channel at a ludicrously early hour to begin with (when few people are awake, reducing the ratings) but now also dumping the episode premieres on Boomerang, a premium channel which not many viewers have. It's essentially the graveyard where CN sends shows they don't care about to die. The abysmal ratings for the past two episodes (not even breaking 1 million, which most season 1 episodes managed to do even with the awful timeslot) reflect the impact this decision is having. On top of this, there's zero advertising for the programme, as has been discussed, and there's not even the slightest inkling about season 2 coming to the UK either. It's all one giant recipe for disaster, and one which Boom will not survive unless something is done.

And then on the other hand, we have SEGA themselves. Now, let me preface this by saying I don't endorse piracy. In no way do I encourage people to torrent or stream shows or games that hardworking people have put endless hours and coffers of money into. It isn't fair on them, their income or their livelihoods. Plus, y'know, it's illegal.

However, with that being said, it's undeniable that Sonic Boom found a huge audience on YouTube. During that roughly year-long period where SEGA didn't seem to care too much about copyright and the episodes were all on YouTube in crisp HD, some Boom videos were racking up millions of hits (no exaggeration) especially the 'episode compilation' videos. It was, in many ways, an excellent state of affairs. Kids and teens discovered the show during their YouTube sessions, binge-watched the episodes, got hooked, and then were more likely to follow/watch the show legally, as well as buy the games/merchandise. It was basically free advertising which generated loads of new fans - particularly among the Sonic Boom 'reactions' community that emerged from the likes of Squidtepig - and all SEGA had to do was turn a blind eye.

But now, of course, they're cracking down on episode uploads which, again, is all well and good, and is the ethically sound thing to do. It's cutting off a huge chunk of potential fans/viewers, though, and SEGA needs to realise this as it looks to be getting more and more militant with copyright strikes to the point where only a few uploads of season 2 episodes can be found, none of which are in very high quality. Couple that with the fact that uploads will become less frequent anyway as less people have access to Boomerang, and it's a sizeable percentage of the viewerbase that's being lost. SEGA are digging themselves into a hole, and it needs to stop.

So, the question now is: what is to be done? How can Boom be saved? Well, they're taking a few steps in the right direction by making it available on Hulu, but it needs to go further than this. A simple 3 step plan that would easily elevate Boom's chances:-

1. As well as Hulu, seek out opportunities with Netflix and other popular streaming sites. This will greatly expand the viewership and heighten exposure/awareness of the brand. Netflix is more likely to advertise the show properly, too, unlike CN.

2. Negotiate timeslots with Cartoon Network. Have Boom be placed in a reasonable slot on the main CN channel - i.e. not 6AM in the bloody morning - and if they won't do it, back the hell out and find another broadcaster. Disney XD, Nickelodeon, the Hub (now Discovery Family, but whatever)... these are all great channels which would be a perfect fit for Boom and who would actually treat it with some modicum of respect.

3. Very critical point here: allow some decent quality uploads of the show to YouTube. I'm not saying to allow pirates to go nuts, but having one or two episodes here and there will only help the show's prospects, especially if CN won't budge on the awful treatment. Building on this, advertise the show frequently on Sonic social media (the Twitter account has over a million followers; that's a lot of potential viewers not being told anything!) and make up for CN's refusal to promote it. Of course, this part only applies if point 2 doesn't work, but you get the idea.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is all very important. Boom has such great potential to reinvigorate public interest in the franchise, but it's being handled abysmally. Sure, some of my suggestions are a little out there, but a series in as dire straits as Sonic the Hedgehog can't afford to shun any potential profits. It's better to survive and break every rule in the book than go down without a fight.

Recognise the problems, SEGA. Recognise them and fix them before it's too late. And if Cartoon Network won't have it, jump ship. They're only holding you back.

• Thumbs Up 9

That's the thing, though. We shouldn't have to show it to them. If they've even a lick of sense they'll be able to see it for themselves with the ratings bottoming out and a total shrug of indifference from Cartoon Network.

They're a multi-million dollar software company. If they can't recognise an issue a bunch of fans on the internet can see clear as day, that's just sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, just put this show on Disney XD, Pokemon is going their, Mega Man is going to be on their, why not give it another Video Game series?

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a Mega Man show?! I mean a new one?

Also yeah, bring it to Disney or something.   Though I'm surprised Pokémon moved. I thought WB had some respects since it rakes cash.

Just now, antyep said:

There's a Mega Man show?! I mean a new one?

Also yeah, bring it to Disney or something.   Though I'm surprised Pokémon moved. I thought WB had some respects since it rakes cash.

Yes, and it unfortunately looks like shit.

For one, Mega Man is in high school, isn't named Rock, and looks really bland and generic. 

megamanfeature.jpg

Oh, and he has what looks to be an annoying sidekick robot who hides in his helmet.