Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

The thing is that Amy can come of as someone who likes to point out other's flaws but not her own.

To be fair, they're all guilty of that at times. Sonic never likes to admit he's egotistical for example. They all try so hard to make themselves look inoccent. There are times where they admit their flaws though.

Episodes like Circus of Plunders had Tails admitting his rush to try out his latest invention endangered his friends.

Og Man Out had Sticks admitting she makes crazy and baseless allegations.

The Biggest Fan and Eggman's Brother had Sonic apologize for letting his ego get the better of him.

Knuckles acknowledges plenty of times that he knows he's not the brightest.

Amy hasn't really gotten any moments for her to apologize, but it's usually because she's mostly portrayed as the responsible one who gets no thanks or credit for all that she does for everyone. She's always the one who wants to look out for others, yet gets shunned for it. Amy is like the mother of the group, everything she does is out of care, yet her friends and villagers always assume she's just wanting to suck the fun out of everything.  Amy takes the biggest sacrifices for the team in a way, yet everyone makes fun of her, for trying to look out for others?

Sonic has said some pretty harsh things about Amy these past two episodes, yet no one cares, yet when Amy just makes a statement about wanting to prove females can be as good as a male, everyone assumes she's being  selfish and biased against males? I'm sorry, but I don't see where all this Amy hate is coming from.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Sonic has said some pretty harsh things about Amy these past two episodes, yet no one cares, yet when Amy just makes a statement about wanting to prove females can be as good as a male, everyone assumes she's being  selfish and biased against males? I'm sorry, but I don't see where all this Amy hate is coming from.

The probably of her comment wasn't that it was biased against males, it's that, like Knuckles said, the point of breaking gender roles has no meaning if you're going to imply it's not what is reality. It's also reinforcing the stereotype it's a activity or thing for the opposite gender.

I'm a feminist, but it's kind of annoying that many so-called "feminists" go by this idealogy when we, as feminists, male and female, they/them, whatever, should be focusing on breaking gender roles by our acheivements and not have the need to point it out because really, it's nothing special. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, rosedust said:

The probably of her comment wasn't that it was biased against males, it's that, like Knuckles said, the point of breaking gender roles has no meaning if you're going to imply it's not what is reality. It's also reinforcing the stereotype it's a activity or thing for the opposite gender.

I'm a feminist, but it's kind of annoying that many so-called "feminists" go by this idealogy when we, as feminists, male and female, they/them, whatever, should be focusing on breaking gender roles by our acheivements and not have the need to point it out because really, it's nothing special. 

It's better than those who claim to be equalists, yet try proving women are better than males, or vice versa. I feel kind of bad for Amy. She clearly feels unappreciated, and whenever she tries doing something to cheer herself or others up, someone has to make uncalled for remarks to shut her down. Sonic has been doing it a lot this season. 

Amy's voice actress Cindy Robinson even referred to Amy as "bipolar" during last summer's 25th anniversary for Sonic. It almost seems to make sense now.. Maybe Amy really does suffer from some form of depression. If that's the case, then why are there so many episodes that give Amy harsh jabs? It seems kind of cruel for a show to think it's funny mock someone with depression and insecurities. Amy does seem to show signs of depression and stress, yet tries hiding it. It's like she wants to fit in with others, but can't, so she just does her own things. It would explain a lot. 

I kind of wish Amy would be treated more as an equal to team Sonic though. I've said enough about Amy in the past though, so I don't need to explain myself for the hundreth time. Season 2 has done a better job with Amy overall, but it is getting tiring to see her still portrayed as the one who annoys everyone with her feelings, or passions. We got two episodes in a row where Sonic flat out insulted Amy out loud. I'll admit I laughed, but I felt kind of bad for laughing, Amy didn't really deserve to have Sonic say those things about her, especially in front of her for 2 episodes in a row. 

I wish the writers would just do better at giving viewers less reasons to complain about her. It seems like those who like her, and those who dislike her both have complaints about her portrayal. She needs consistency. Enough with having her be sweet and friendly in one episode, to sour and annoyed in another. She needs good consistency, along with the others in this show.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, SpongicX said:

It's better than those who claim to be equalists, yet try proving women are better than males, or vice versa. I feel kind of bad for Amy. She clearly feels unappreciated, and whenever she tries doing something to cheer herself or others up, someone has to make uncalled for remarks to shut her down. Sonic has been doing it a lot this season. 

Amy's voice actress Cindy Robinson even referred to Amy as "bipolar" during last summer's 25th anniversary for Sonic. It almost seems to make sense now.. Maybe Amy really does suffer from some form of depression. If that's the case, then why are there so many episodes that give Amy harsh jabs? It seems kind of cruel for a show to think it's funny mock someone with depression and insecurities. Amy does seem to show signs of depression and stress, yet tries hiding it. It's like she wants to fit in with others, but can't, so she just does her own things. It would explain a lot. 

I kind of wish Amy would be treated more as an equal to team Sonic though. I've said enough about Amy in the past though, so I don't need to explain myself for the hundreth time. Season 2 has done a better job with Amy overall, but it is getting tiring to see her still portrayed as the one who annoys everyone with her feelings, or passions. We got two episodes in a row where Sonic flat out insulted Amy out loud. I'll admit I laughed, but I felt kind of bad for laughing, Amy didn't really deserve to have Sonic say those things about her, especially in front of her for 2 episodes in a row. 

I wish the writers would just do better at giving viewers less reasons to complain about her. It seems like those who like her, and those who dislike her both have complaints about her portrayal. She needs consistency. Enough with having her be sweet and friendly in one episode, to sour and annoyed in another. She needs good consistency, along with the others in this show.

I mean I agree, her comment didn't particularly annoy me that much.  

I'm not surprised about how you're saying they're portraying her. The whole Sonic Team in general don't treat her that well in general, neither does the fandom. I mean, it's a cartoon, yeah, but just in general people take Amy as a joke. It's kind of hard to see, especially because I know all the promise Amy offers as a character, it's just not shown anymore. I haven't seen season 2 of Boom yet, but what you're saying doesn't surprise me.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

I think it's something that needed to be said since Amy always has the tendency to emphasize that she's a women and can do things, when there's really no need to, so Knuckles of all people calling her out on that was hilarious to me.

I liked that part too. Amy didn't need to say anything about females being inferior to males when it comes to sports. Imagine if Knuckles said that while she was playing video games with her friends. :lol:

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

Enough with having her be sweet and friendly in one episode, to sour and annoyed in another. She needs good consistency, along with the others in this show.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

Amy's voice actress Cindy Robinson even referred to Amy as "bipolar" during last summer's 25th anniversary for Sonic. It almost seems to make sense now.. Maybe Amy really does suffer from some form of depression. If that's the case, then why are there so many episodes that give Amy harsh jabs? It seems kind of cruel for a show to think it's funny mock someone with depression and insecurities.

I hear you.

6 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

And I love how sonic became all frantic from Amy being able to express herself, which for whatever reason offended someone here. He was gonna save the villagers anyway

That part of the episode made me think that Amy expressing herself was what drove Sonic to save the villagers from certain doom. I wish Tails made a sarcastic remark afterwards. :lol:

3 hours ago, SpongicX said:

She needs consistency. Enough with having her be sweet and friendly in one episode, to sour and annoyed in another. 

Um, this is actually 100% realistic. People don't just have one default emotion that they stick to 24/7. Their feelings change depending on context and environment, they have mood swings, hormonal imbalances - hell, even just days where they feel a bit down. That's called being human; or, I guess in Amy's case, being hedgehog.

So no, I don't think having her locked to one emotion constantly would be any better. If anything, it'd stick out half a mile.

• Thumbs Up 7

@SpongicX Interesting. Maybe her friends are annoyed because she doesn't take responsiblily for her actions. Like you said she's never really apologized in the show when she's in the wrong, which seems to be always. At least Sonic and the others have done that or at least admitted their faults (Sticks even apologized to Tails in Circus of Plunders for pulling on his face) so Amy has no excuse, regardless of whether she's mistreated or not. Anyways, maybe they can make an episode focusing on her bipolar issue and how she feels the gang sees her.

@RLS Legacy Plus if she's described by ber own voice actress as "bipolar", she's probably not going to stick to one emotion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe her friends are annoyed because she doesn't take responsiblily for her actions.

I'm sure the viewers feel the same way. Even I feel the same way.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

At least Sonic and the others have done that or at least admitted their faults (Sticks even apologized to Tails in Circus of Plunders for pulling on his face) so Amy has no excuse, regardless of whether she's mistreated or not.

Yeah, even in 'Just a Guy', when it wasn't really necessary, Sonic apologised for being 'insensitive and condescending'. I don't know if Knuckles had apologised for anything, though. And as for Amy, she NEVER apologises for anything and when she gets into trouble, she tries to bring everyone else down with her. But when someone else (e.g. Sonic) gets into trouble, she OUTRIGHT CONDEMNS them for their actions, as if they committed the most heinous, despicable crime in history.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the thing that makes Boom!Amy unlikable at times: she can be very self-righteous at times. In Cabin Fever it's implied that she sees herself better than her friends as we see in her play. What's worse is that when her friends do call her out on it, she seems to just shrug it off.

I mean I could wrong and she did at least apologizes in one episode (I remember her apology for her harsh words to Knuckles in Knucklesduster in the comics but the canonicity of the comics to the show is questionable.)

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That's the thing that makes Boom!Amy unlikable at times: she can be very self-righteous at times. In Cabin Fever it's implied that she sees herself better than her friends as we see in her play. What's worse is that when her friends do call her out on it, she seems to just shrug it off.

I mean I could wrong and she did at least apologizes in one episode (I remember her apology for her harsh words to Knuckles in Knucklesduster in the comics but the canonicity of the comics to the show is questionable.)

Well, I mean, in that sense, everyone can be unlikable at times because beings as a whole have a tendency to be self-righteous. I don't think that having a negative trait can make someone inherently unlikable, it depends how they write it, and how it affects the character after they realize they're wrong (or don't).

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, rosedust said:

Well, I mean, in that sense, everyone can be unlikable at times because beings as a whole have a tendency to be self-righteous. I don't think that having a negative trait can make someone inherently unlikable, it depends how they write it, and how it affects the character after they realize they're wrong (or don't).

Remember I said at times. Normally Amy can be nice but there are episodes like Just a Guy here she can be unnesscarily harsh to her friends. The problem is that when this happens she normally doesn't realize she's wrong.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Remember I said at times. Normally Amy can be nice but there are episodes like Just a Guy here she can be unnesscarily harsh to her friends. The problem is that when this happens she normally doesn't realize she's wrong.

I mean yeah. Are they actually going anywhere with things like this in the series (not just Amy, everyone)? Is she gonna get a comeuppance? If not what's the point of it, to give Amy more character traits or? Cheap comedy?

• Thumbs Up 2

@rosedust To me the show tries too hard to be funny at times with characters acting mean.

I would like for characters like the villagers to realize how big of the jerks they are sometimes. I feel the writers make things meanspirited to make jokes which feels cheap sometimes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

@rosedust To me the show tries too hard to be funny at times with characters acting mean.

To be fair, almost all cartoons fall victim to this type of writing nowadays. Being rude is taken as a joke and something for the characters to either not acknowledge/not care, which really sucks because I'm not against mean characters, in fact, they're usually my favorites. But when you make a character mean and don't provide a proper explanation/give it more depth or at least a plotpoint, it makes the character seem sour and unfunny. I mean, it's fine for minor characters, but when a major character exhibits this it just seems like really poor writing and makes them less likable because it isn't expanded on or acknowledged. From what I noticed from watching Season 1, is that most of these characters are pretty one dimensional or just provide one brand of humor in their representation on the show. I mean, I didn't enjoy Sonic X and how much they cut stuff out and made Chris Thorndyke important for no reason, but at least they expanded on each character in some sort of way.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, rosedust said:

To be fair, almost all cartoons fall victim to this type of writing nowadays. Being rude is taken as a joke and something for the characters to either not acknowledge/not care, which really sucks because I'm not against mean characters, in fact, they're usually my favorites. But when you make a character mean and don't provide a proper explanation/give it more depth or at least a plotpoint, it makes the character seem sour and unfunny. I mean, it's fine for minor characters, but when a major character exhibits this it just seems like really poor writing and makes them less likable because it isn't expanded on or acknowledged.

Exactly. In Closed Door Policy, the characters do call out Amy for being bossy and she does see comeuppance. I mean it doesn't seem that bad in Season 2 fortunately though.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, rosedust said:

This. Like I said earlier while I like Boom Amy half the time the writers feel like they're just using her as a Strawman.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, SBR2 said:

This. Like I said earlier while I like Boom Amy half the time the writers feel like they're just using her as a Strawman.

It's nice that they called that out in the episode at least

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It's nice that they called that out in the episode at least

True, though it's kind of annoying to see all the blogs who have no idea what the show is, saying "YOUNG SONIC TV SHOW GET'S WOKE!!" on their sites. Though I suppose that's a problem with people, not the writers.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, rosedust said:

True, though it's kind of annoying to see all the blogs who have no idea what the show is, saying "YOUNG SONIC TV SHOW GET'S WOKE!!" on their sites. Though I suppose that's a problem with people, not the writers.

Yeah. I mean it seems Sonic Boom is now getting more attention because of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, rosedust said:

"YOUNG SONIC TV SHOW GET'S WOKE!!"

I honestly don't know why people say this.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

there are episodes like Just a Guy here she can be unnesscarily harsh to her friends.

She was only harsh to Sonic, not to mention allowing Sonic to be bullied and berated in a SENSITIVITY seminar, as well as trying to take credit for what Sonic did. I still think she didn't realise the danger of leaving the village and its defenceless inhabitants just to get Sonic out of retirement.

54 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

In Closed Door Policy, the characters do call out Amy for being bossy and she does see comeuppance.

Oh, how I wish that also happened in 'Just a Guy' and some other episode where she can be overbearing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

She was only harsh to Sonic, not to mention allowing Sonic to be bullied and berated in a SENSITIVITY seminar, as well as trying to take credit for what Sonic did. I still think she didn't realise the danger of leaving the village and its defenceless inhabitants just to get Sonic out of retirement.

At least there hasn't been an episode like that to me in a while. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

@RedFox99 What do you think of the Tommy Thunder episode? How was Amy's behaviour to you?

I haven't watched it but she seemed to have been a lot friendlier in that one from what @SpongicX said.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

Oh, how I wish that also happened in 'Just a Guy' and some other episode where she can be overbearing.

I don't know, but it's really annoying. I don't like seeing "BLAH BLAH IS WOKE" because... so? Who cares? Just like Amy's comment, it takes away from the idea that it's the norm to be a feminist. Being a feminist shouldn't be something that people say like "By the way, I'm a feminist so..." because... okay? Should you not be? You don't deserve a cookie for believing men and women should be equal.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I haven't watched it but she seemed to have been a lot friendlier in that one from what @SpongicX said.

What did SpongicX say?