Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yes, and it unfortunately looks like shit.

For one, Mega Man is in high school, isn't named Rock, and looks really bland and generic. 

megamanfeature.jpg

Oh, and he has what looks to be an annoying sidekick robot who hides in his helmet.

Oh god I thought that was a rejected Mega Man game idea. This almost sounds like that other comic series before the Archie one. At least to its credit it used the original designs

In my country, it's completely off CN. They used to advertise it ALL THE TIME, until y'know, they found out it wasn't a "lol randumb XD" comedy. Now it's on standard TV channels, on some national channel called 'GO!'

But then the timeslot issue persists with 6:00am, and then is solved with another one at 4:00pm (showing the same episodes as the 6am one, no less). It's a step forward, but... Well, at least it's away from CN. They do zero advertising on their kids shows, though. They just shove shows in and play them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although it's in poor quality, someone uploaded Nutwork onto Youtube. I thought it was a great episode, so far, it's my favorite episode of season 2, and my favorite Sticks centered episode. What everyone has already said about this episode is right on about the plot having a good message, which is very relevant to what's going on in life at the moment for many. The episode strongly suggests that people should use their minds and make their own decisions to resolve problems, instead of doing what someone on tv tells viewers to do. Instead of thinking that everyone on TV is right, people need to stop and think if there would be consequences or progress when doing what a network tells people to do. It's a very good episode overall.

A little off topic, but  I really hope Amy eventually can get an episode that centers around her, yet treats her like the hero, instead of a lightning rod for being the butt of a joke. Too many Amy centered episodes either hand the spot light over to Eggman, portray Amy negatively, or they focus having the episode be about making Amy miserable, neglected, and mistreated throughout. I feel like in season 1, every other character has gotten more than one decent episode where that character saves the day, but I felt Amy never got the chance to have an episode like that. Even  Eggman had episodes where he ended up cooperating with the heroes to save the day! Even Orbot and Cubot had episodes where they ended up saving everyone, like in Let's Play Musical Friends, or Beyond the Valley of Cubots.

The only good episode that starred Amy in my opinion was Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, but Amy wasn't really a hero in that episode, and wasn't depended on to save anyone's life or anything, but she was portrayed very well in that episode, even if she was a bit shallow about her complicated friend/foe relationship with Eggman.  Even her friends treated her poorly in that episode, yet Amy did absolutely nothing wrong to make her friends give her such a hard time in that episode. The episode starts off with the gang laughing at her, calling what she likes lame, and Sticks even implied Amy wasn't cool, by questioning why Amy is playing the game all by herself. I don't know, I felt it was out of character for Amy to be made fun of in that episode. Give Amy a break for crying out loud, I want to finally see her get an episode she deserves.

Even episodes that have something to do with Amy in the plot barely include her for crying out loud! Why can't she get a decent starring episode like Sticks in Nutwork, Knuckles in Spacemageddonacolypse, or Tails in many season 1 episodes? Amy is far more capable than just being the girly or motherly member of the team, and I wish the writers of the show would realize that. So far, season 2 is confirmed to only have one Amy episode so far, and that's Give Bees a Chance, yet that episode's description implies she'll get a lot of negative treatment, since the episode is about her adopting one of Eggman's beebots as a pet, while her friends and fellow villagers aren't too happy with that decision. Even the plot sounds incredibley out of character for Amy, despite how caring she is, she's not stupid. I mean, she criticized Sticks for adopting a pet robot dog that barfs slime, yet sees nothing wrong with adopting a robot weapon that was built by her arch nemesis?! I really hope there are better Amy based episodes in the future... 

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

I'm going to say something that could possibly get me in a lot of trouble, but here goes:

I've been in the Sonic community for a long, long time. I've gone by countless usernames and I've made many friends in this community, some who have connections to Sega and other people in the industry who are in the position to know things. They've told me numerous things over the years, most have panned out, some haven't. We all catch up every now and then and they tell me certain things. For example, i was told in May that Mr. Whitehead was making a new 2D Sonic game, i knew various other people here that will go unnamed knew this information as well, but they all did a great job of keeping it secret. (If you're reading this and you know who you are, kudos.) I was told recently by an aforementioned longtime froen of mine what could be possibly going down with Boom. And things are not looking good for this subseries. Sega of Japan are incredibly displeased with how this whole Boom fisaco has gone down, Boom was an internal Sega of America project, that soon gained ground in Japan and since it's approval, excutives have had very diminishing returns. Poor game sales, even poorer reviews, merchandise isn't selling and there is a distinct lack of interest on Cartoon Network's (Time Warner) part in the series. From what I've been told, Sega is ready to pull the plug on Boom (not just the show, everything.) following the end of season two next year. The plan, originally was to have a three pillar strategy. That would have been: Modern, Boom, and Spinoffs, we would have gotten one game every year featuring Sonic in one those capacities. There is still a three pillar strategy in place, however, Boom has been replaced with something much more beloved: Classic. Sega's PR speak was not hot air, Classic Sonic will remain a big part of the franchise going forward. If Mania does well, there will be more games coming. And a disclaimer: I'm not here to spread misinformation. I'm here because i feel people have a right to know what is going on with this poorly executed, micromanaged mess of a subseries. This will greatly upset a lot of people, but honestly, in my opinion, this is for the best. These new games are looking very promising and I very much believe 2017 is going to be a great year for not only Sega and Sonic, but gaming in general. Boom is best left forgotten. Don't take any of this as fact or even as a rumor. It is purely what I've heard from people i trust. I'm not an insider and i won't give away or spoil anything that pertains to these new games. Time will tell how much of this pans out.

It sucks, but I was fearing the same thing. Sonic Boom was introduced during a time where Sonic's fame was lowering it's peak, and Sonic Boom was set to fix that drop in popularity, yet the games themselves turned out to be failures, while the tv show didn't do so bad, despite it's lack of promotion and air time. I noticed how ever since Sonic Mania and Project 2017, how news about Sonic Boom suddenly died down, not even Sonic Boom Fire & Ice got enough promotional material, despite being promoted at Hardey's a year ahead of time! Sonic Mania and Project 2017 got a lot of positive buzz going around, and that might have given Sega the sense that they don't need Boom anymore.

I hope that's not the case though, I liked the idea of Sonic Boom being it's own thing, while the main games are their own thing. It feels like a big lie for Sega to claim they'll focus on both the games and Boom branch, only to give the idea that they're abandoning Boom too soon, despite the fans wanting more of it. Sega takes all the low ratings of Sonic Boom out of proportion, and can't see the big picture as to why it's not performing well. They themselves aren't putting effort to promote it, CN is doing an even worse job at promoting it, and gave up on the show immediately after the first episode of season 2! Sega should at least try putting effort into making Sonic Boom work, instead of giving up on it so soon, due to thinking the games might be back on track. What if Sonic Boom does get cancelled, yet Sonic Mania and Project 2017 somehow manage to review and sell poorly?! They won't have Sonic Boom as their little fund raiser anymore for making up for all the money they lost, and they can't just expect the 2018 movie adaption to be a last resort. 

I really hope Sega can find a good balance. I like having a new TV series about Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Boom is the only TV series of Sonic that I like. I never liked the DiC cartoons of Sonic, and I used to like Sonic X, but am now embarrassed by how poorly the show was handled by 4kids, and even the Japanese version of the show is cringey at times. Sonic Boom is the only Sonic show I can comfortably watch, and get a good laugh out of. It's the only non adult cartoon I bother tuning into. I usually watch shows like American Dad, or Robot Chicken, but Sonic Boom is the only non adult cartoon I love to catch new episodes of. 

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm going to say something that could possibly get me in a lot of trouble, but here goes:

I've been in the Sonic community for a long, long time. I've gone by countless usernames and I've made many friends in this community, some who have connections to Sega and other people in the industry who are in the position to know things. They've told me numerous things over the years, most have panned out, some haven't. We all catch up every now and then and they tell me certain things. For example, i was told in May that Mr. Whitehead was making a new 2D Sonic game, i knew various other people here that will go unnamed knew this information as well, but they all did a great job of keeping it secret. (If you're reading this and you know who you are, kudos.) I was told recently by an aforementioned longtime froen of mine what could be possibly going down with Boom. And things are not looking good for this subseries. Sega of Japan are incredibly displeased with how this whole Boom fisaco has gone down, Boom was an internal Sega of America project, that soon gained ground in Japan and since it's approval, excutives have had very diminishing returns. Poor game sales, even poorer reviews, merchandise isn't selling and there is a distinct lack of interest on Cartoon Network's (Time Warner) part in the series. From what I've been told, Sega is ready to pull the plug on Boom (not just the show, everything.) following the end of season two next year. The plan, originally was to have a three pillar strategy. That would have been: Modern, Boom, and Spinoffs, we would have gotten one game every year featuring Sonic in one those capacities. There is still a three pillar strategy in place, however, Boom has been replaced with something much more beloved: Classic. Sega's PR speak was not hot air, Classic Sonic will remain a big part of the franchise going forward. If Mania does well, there will be more games coming. And a disclaimer: I'm not here to spread misinformation. I'm here because i feel people have a right to know what is going on with this poorly executed, micromanaged mess of a subseries. This will greatly upset a lot of people, but honestly, in my opinion, this is for the best. These new games are looking very promising and I very much believe 2017 is going to be a great year for not only Sega and Sonic, but gaming in general. Boom is best left forgotten. Don't take any of this as fact or even as a rumor. It is purely what I've heard from people i trust. I'm not an insider and i won't give away or spoil anything that pertains to these new games. Time will tell how much of this pans out.

If this is the case, then it's such a shame. But I guess it's probably for the best to let this info be out there to public even if it's just in the talks at this point.

What caused SEGA to finally get back to realize that rushing out games to meet deadlines was a bad idea will cost a subfranchise I genuinely adore.

I mean, granted there's probably only so much you could do with Boom but still I would like to imagine that there's going to be some more Boom action after season 2. Maybe another Boom game from Sanzaru or maybe TV movie, anything really.

Oh well, I guess the only thing I can hope for now is when the season 2 (which might probably be the series finale based on how abysmal the ratings have been) will go out the best, the Boom way (and no, that's not to say the RoL way).

But yeah, I just watched Nutwork too!

Lovely episode, Sam Freiberger made another great episode! He's definitely one of my favorite writers and Nutwork was just as good as some of his past work like Eggman the Auteur and probably the Sonic and Crew bits from No Robots Allowed. And Boom is back at it again with the social messages and metahumor as well, great joke about how one caller called out the show for Eggman being nonthreatening. Sticks is great and it was nice to see Tails tag along as well and see how those two interact even if they're from two different mindsets.

Great episode, definitely in my top 10 fav episodes of this season, maybe even in best episode in the series' run?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Zippo said:

[Long Post]

If they replace Boom with just an entire Classic sub-series... That is the wrong direction to take.

Either fix the issues with the Boom sub-series, or drop the third pillar. You cannot depend on nostalgia to survive, you have to keep moving forward while acknowlodging the past, not dragging it with them. Eventually, the general public would get the drift on why they use Classic Sonic instead, and create more issues for SEGA. I do not know what issues, as people are unpredictable, but there will be issues.

How about fusing the Modern and Classic pillars? A long shot, but it might get us somewhere. And it's bad enough that we seperate the two main characters as Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic. They should be just 'Sonic the Hedgehog', should they not?

The current problems to fix with Sonic Boom is convince people that it's good. Everyone has the mindset that Sonic Boom sucks thanks to it's games and the media that bullies Sonic. Push back against that, despite the odds. Might sound stupid, I know, I'm not a business man. But to fix the problems, the first step is acknowlodging them, not jumping ship. How to convice people, I do not know. Maybe they'll find out how by looking through their mistakes.

1 minute ago, Polkadi said:

If they replace Boom with just an entire Classic sub-series... That is the wrong direction to take.

Either fix the issues with the Boom sub-series, or drop the third pillar. You cannot depend on nostalgia to survive, you have to keep moving forward while acknowlodging the past, not dragging it with them. Eventually, the general public would get the drift on why they use Classic Sonic instead, and create more issues for SEGA. I do not know what issues, as people are unpredictable, but there will be issues.

How about fusing the Modern and Classic pillars? A long shot, but it might get us somewhere. And it's bad enough that we seperate the two main characters as Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic. They should be just 'Sonic the Hedgehog', should they not?

The current problems to fix with Sonic Boom is convince people that it's good. Everyone has the mindset that Sonic Boom sucks thanks to it's games and the media that bullies Sonic. Push back against that, despite the odds. Might sound stupid, I know, I'm not a business man. But to fix the problems, the first step is acknowlodging them, not jumping ship. How to convice people, I do not know. Maybe they'll find out how by looking through their mistakes.

Well that's pretty difficult to do to convince people that Boom is good outside of the show, which even then most people are willing to accept that it's a decent show but it doesn't really grab people.

And frankly, it makes sense to have the Classic and Modern branches side by side. While it is true that they're both the same Sonic but the overall game design around them couldn't be anymore different, it's going to be pretty tricky to mix both Modern and Classic elements together imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

Well that's pretty difficult to do to convince people that Boom is good outside of the show, which even then most people are willing to accept that it's a decent show but it doesn't really grab people.

And frankly, it makes sense to have the Classic and Modern branches side by side. While it is true that they're both the same Sonic but the overall game design around them couldn't be anymore different, it's going to be pretty tricky to mix both Modern and Classic elements together imo.

I'd say mix Modern Sonic with the Classic formula, but people still have nightmares.

Maybe have them both in the same pillar, but just shift around the formulas? But that would create even more issues, with there being more gameplay styles.

And for Boom, maybe just more games, but with more quality breathed into them. Fire & Ice was a start, with SEGA being kind enough to delay when needed. For another Boom game, perhaps they can make a standard 3D platformer, but with the standard Sonic gameplay of finishing as fast as possible. I'd like to see a Sonic Boom game that approaches the Adventure formula, that would be interesting. And hey, SEGA/Sonic Team could make a Sonic Boom game for once.

I guess this was to be expected. All the signs were present. Sonic boom F&I got little to no publicity despite being a decent game, Sonic Boom ROL and SC are slowly getting drained away from official Sonic websites and the TV series isn't getting treated well despite its decent quality. Sega is acting like it never happened. 

Classic Sonic seems to be a great temporary third pillar. It hits classic fans, nostalgia fans, and people who want a solid fast platformer, without all the supposedly "cringy" stories or characters. It fills a very important gap that has formed. 

It's a shame. Sonic Boom was actually taking strong steps towards improvement. But with Sonics situation, I can't blame Sega from backing away. It still makes me sad though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

I'd say mix Modern Sonic with the Classic formula, but people still have nightmares.

Maybe have them both in the same pillar, but just shift around the formulas? But that would create even more issues, with there being more gameplay styles.

And for Boom, maybe just more games, but with more quality breathed into them. Fire & Ice was a start, with SEGA being kind enough to delay when needed. For another Boom game, perhaps they can make a standard 3D platformer, but with the standard Sonic gameplay of finishing as fast as possible. I'd like to see a Sonic Boom game that approaches the Adventure formula, that would be interesting. And hey, SEGA/Sonic Team could make a Sonic Boom game for once.

I don't know, it would be neat to see the Classic Sonic formula realized in 3D like Utopia but I can't really imagine that as Modern Sonic. Classic 3D and Modern 3D are two different types of 3D, one is more momentum based while one tends to vary from action-packed with setpieces to very fast-paced that it can be pretty linear at times.

It would be nice to see how a 3D Boom game would work if Sanzaru are working on it but I doubt it would be enough to convince people to give a Boom game a shot but who knows at this point.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I've been in the Sonic community for a long, long time. I've gone by countless usernames and I've made many friends in this community, some who have connections to Sega and other people in the industry who are in the position to know things. They've told me numerous things over the years, most have panned out, some haven't. We all catch up every now and then and they tell me certain things. For example, i was told in May that Mr. Whitehead was making a new 2D Sonic game, i knew various other people here that will go unnamed knew this information as well, but they all did a great job of keeping it secret. (If you're reading this and you know who you are, kudos.) I was told recently by an aforementioned longtime friend of mine what could be possibly going down with Boom. And things are not looking good for this subseries. Sega of Japan are incredibly displeased with how this whole Boom fisaco has gone down, Boom was an internal Sega of America project, that soon gained ground in Japan and since it's approval, excutives have had very diminishing returns. Poor game sales, even poorer reviews, merchandise isn't selling and there is a distinct lack of interest on Cartoon Network's (Time Warner) part in the series. From what I've been told, Sega is ready to pull the plug on Boom (not just the show, everything.) following the end of season two next year. The plan, originally was to have a three pillar strategy. That would have been: Modern, Boom, and Spinoffs, we would have gotten one game every year featuring Sonic in one those capacities. There is still a three pillar strategy in place, however, Boom has been replaced with something much more beloved: Classic. Sega's PR speak was not hot air, Classic Sonic will remain a big part of the franchise going forward. If Mania does well, there will be more games coming. And a disclaimer: I'm not here to spread misinformation. I'm here because i feel people have a right to know what is going on with this poorly executed, micromanaged mess of a subseries. This will greatly upset a lot of people, but honestly, in my opinion, this is for the best. These new games are looking very promising and I very much believe 2017 is going to be a great year for not only Sega and Sonic, but gaming in general. Boom is best left forgotten. Don't take any of this as fact or even as a rumor. It is purely what I've heard from people i trust. I'm not an insider and i won't give away or spoil anything that pertains to these new games. Time will tell how much of this pans out.

Sorry, but at this point I don't trust anything on the internet anymore. I realize you mean no harm with this, but after dealing with so much misinformation, distortions, fake leaks, rumors and claims of "this guy told me this thing" this year, I simply refuse to believe anything on the internet until there's 100% proof.

• Thumbs Up 9

Thanks for the video link SpongicX!

If the pulling plug on Boom is true then that's pretty disappointing but expected. There were alot of signs that Sega and Cartoon Network want to sweep it under the rug anyway. 

Which is a damn shame cause it has alot of potential in my opinion. Thanks to mistreat of it, it just fell pretty hard ( and games pretty much ruined any reputation of the entire thing).  But hey, if Boom is pretty much dead then I'm okay with that. I just hope some of the personalities of the Boom are being put in the main series. 

Oh, and sticks. You can't kill of Sticks. :B

• Thumbs Up 3

Look, I know Boom hasn't had the best luck. But until I know for sure that the subfranchise is beyond saving, I refuse to stop supporting it.

Besides, I doubt SEGA is really going to just abandon something they spent millions of dollars on. Plus, they know the show is popular. It's CN that's messing things up with their poor airtimes, lack of advertising, and moving new premieres to Boomerang. I mean, would they have greenlit a sequel to Shattered Crystal if they believed Boom in general was such a failure? Would they have made an effort to link it closely with the show and load it up with season 2 concept art? Would they have even made a second season?

I'm not content with letting one of my favorite shows disappear into obscurity. I won't let it end like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Boom is out quite yet-- though it still saddens me that CN and Sega aren't giving it the love it deserves. I don't have much hope for CN but I do hold a little bit of hope that Sega will come around to see Boom's potential and improvement.

I'm also sad since Boom TV has provided the only writing since Sonic and the Black Knight that I've genuinely enjoyed the majority of. The show is funny-- funnier than Colors, LW, Gens, even Unleashed-- and demonstrates a good way for Sonic to go about humor. The second season has shown vast improvement too in terms of balancing action and humor, better animation, and better plots. If nothing else, I hope Sonic Team and P&G have taken some notes as they've worked with the Boom staff so that they can improve the writing for the mainline games.

Also, I can't help but agree with Donnie regarding Zippo's comment. Its plausible and Zippo likely doesn't mean any harm, but this is the internet so I have no way of verifying his statements. Not to mention that with people's interest in Sonic rising as a result of Mania, there has been a spike of hoaxes cropping up regarding Sonic-- Sonic Inferno comes to mind. And there's plenty of "I know a guy" stories that, as Zippo has admitted himself, don't pan out at all-- especially when said guy isn't even named.

Though perhaps part of the reason I doubt Zippo is because I don't agree that Boom is best left forgotten. Like it or not, it is a part of Sonic's history. Its made an impact on a lot of fans, myself included. On a personal level, I'm not about to commit to forgetting something that's brought me a lot of joy because some corporate executives haven't managed it well and can't see its potential. Not to mention that we're all going to have to face up to Boom eventually-- just burying what's upsetting us isn't healthy and just leads to bottled up anger that comes out at inopportune times, and suppressing what makes us happy for the sake of "fitting in" or "not ruining 2017 for everybody" just turns the good vibes into bitterness towards other fans (believe me, we do not want a significant portion of the Boom fandom to go the way of the SA3 Facebook page). Not facing up to Boom also leaves Sega vulnerable to repeating its mistakes with Boom, as Sega won't realize the real issues with it and on top of that will come to forget what it did wrong before too.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

It would be nice to see how a 3D Boom game would work if Sanzaru are working on it but I doubt it would be enough to convince people to give a Boom game a shot but who knows at this point.

Disclaimer: I personally believe that its very improbable that Sega is going to approve another Boom game, and I'm not psychic so I can't tell exactly how critics will react to things that haven't been announced. All of the below is speculation.

To be fair, Fire and Ice brought some goodwill to the idea of Boom games. Even the most disparaging of critics agree that it proved at least a marginal improvement to Shattered Crystal (although most agree that it improved more than just a marginal amount). Many have expressed that they would be open to Sanzaru making another Boom game-- though they're not exactly clamoring for a sequel either, the fact that they've expressed willingness to at least look at another Boom game before dismissing it as automatically crap based on the name alone is a good start. So at the very least, Fire and Ice made it possible for a 2D Boom game to be given a chance.

A 3D game would be a different story though-- Sanzaru or not, the game would have to be amongst the greatest Sonic has ever offered to fully shake off the stigma of RoL. It couldn't just be a "standard 3D platformer" as Polkadi suggested and expect to get more appreciation than Fire and Ice-- it would have to be something truly exceptional and befitting of Sonic. Could Sanzaru-- or any developer-- produce a game of that caliber? Possibly, if given enough time and kept in check. What is Sanzaru's 3D output like?

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the link to the Episode, I really appreciate it. But Ugh, I want to support the show, I REALLY do. But I don't have access to Boomerang and because my family records a lot of TV series I can't record Sonic Boom on Cartoon Network. I work on Saturdays so by the time I get home, the episode is done. I don't Hulu either, but I DO have Netflix and I'm hoping that they somehow find a way to get the series on there as that is literally the only way I can watch the series legally and support at the same time. It's just depressing that I can't support one of my favorite series because of poor marketing decisions from both Sega and Cartoon Network.

Now onto the episode. I gotta say, this episode is probably one of my favorites in this series entirety. The jokes were hilarious (Fastidious Beaver not being able to handle the truth had me dying), the pacing didn't feel too fast or too slow either. Sticks was written great as well. This is my favorite episode with her in it, the last one being Into the Wilderness from Season 1. Sam Freiberger has definitely become one of my favorite writers of the show.

Now about the whole Sonic Boom ending soon thing. While I'm hoping that is entirely a rumor, there's so many signs pointing towards that actually being true which saddens me. I love this series, but because of one hiccup (RoL) the series has been seen in a negative light and has been hard to recover since. It doesn't help that the catalyst for this series, the TV show, has been treated so poorly and that the recent game installment had little to advertisement whatsoever, despite actually being a good game. If Sanzuru games ever decide to make a fully fledged 3D Boom game, then I'll be all for it. Let it play like Sonic does in the DLC Lego Dimensions Pack, which is honestly how Boom Sonic should've been able to play like in RoL. Sanzuru didn't give up on the Boom series and I'm glad they didn't and I hope they continue to keep the series alive in the game universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Polkadi said:

From how it was explained to me, Modern Sonic and the spinoffs will continue to try new things, while the "Classic" games will continue to play it safe in the gameplay department. It's more or less what Nintendo is doing with Mario. I think that way, there will be something for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

A 3D game would be a different story though-- Sanzaru or not, the game would have to be amongst the greatest Sonic has ever offered to fully shake off the stigma of RoL. It couldn't just be a "standard 3D platformer" as Polkadi suggested and expect to get more appreciation than Fire and Ice-- it would have to be something truly exceptional and befitting of Sonic. Could Sanzaru-- or any developer-- produce a game of that caliber? Possibly, if given enough time and kept in check. What is Sanzaru's 3D output like?

I worded that wrong, I mean a standard Sonic 3D platformer. Like Adventure or 06 or Unleashed. Sonic being in a standard all-around 3D platformer was what RoL was, and it suffered for that.

And from what I've found, Sanzaru's 3D outputs (in terms of platformers) are Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and the Playstation 2 port of Secret Agent Clank.

9 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Well Sanzaru made Sly 4: Thieves in Time, which seems to be the weakest entry in the series but it still seems to be considered a good game and did some meh ports of games like Secret Agent Clank, some random ninja-themed party game and other small projects that weren't as well-praised.

So from what it seems, they could probably do a good 3D Boom game if given the proper time to do so.

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

From how it was explained to me, Modern Sonic and the spinoffs will continue to try new things, while the "Classic" games will continue to play it safe in the gameplay department. It's more or less what Nintendo is doing with Mario. I think that way, there will be something for everyone.

So the Classic games will be like NSMB then? Sigh, I was hoping they wouldn't take that route because unless they started to add "New Things" then it will start to get stale and boring. And that's not what I want from a Classic game. I was hoping it'd kinda be like Freedom Planet. A game multiple playable characters with story (maybe voice acting) for those who want a little bit more supplement to their game (like me personally). And then the Classic mode for people who want to play it like the good ol' days were no one talks and you go from level to level with nothing in between. But it seems like they're playing it safe and not taking any chances to have any story which saddens me because, and I know people are going to kill me for this, I never cared for the Classic games. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I prefer the 3D which has more character and story to them which I like. Sonic Mania may not be a game I'll be getting for a while since apparently they're supposedly using more past stages then new ones, which annoyed me even more. Oh well, what can you do?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

I've been in the Sonic community for a long, long time. I've gone by countless usernames and I've made many friends in this community, some who have connections to Sega and other people in the industry who are in the position to know things. They've told me numerous things over the years, most have panned out, some haven't. We all catch up every now and then and they tell me certain things. For example, i was told in May that Mr. Whitehead was making a new 2D Sonic game, i knew various other people here that will go unnamed knew this information as well, but they all did a great job of keeping it secret. (If you're reading this and you know who you are, kudos.) I was told recently by an aforementioned longtime friend of mine what could be possibly going down with Boom. And things are not looking good for this subseries. Sega of Japan are incredibly displeased with how this whole Boom fisaco has gone down, Boom was an internal Sega of America project, that soon gained ground in Japan and since it's approval, excutives have had very diminishing returns. Poor game sales, even poorer reviews, merchandise isn't selling and there is a distinct lack of interest on Cartoon Network's (Time Warner) part in the series. From what I've been told, Sega is ready to pull the plug on Boom (not just the show, everything.) following the end of season two next year. The plan, originally was to have a three pillar strategy. That would have been: Modern, Boom, and Spinoffs, we would have gotten one game every year featuring Sonic in one those capacities. There is still a three pillar strategy in place, however, Boom has been replaced with something much more beloved: Classic. Sega's PR speak was not hot air, Classic Sonic will remain a big part of the franchise going forward. If Mania does well, there will be more games coming. And a disclaimer: I'm not here to spread misinformation. I'm here because i feel people have a right to know what is going on with this poorly executed, micromanaged mess of a subseries. This will greatly upset a lot of people, but honestly, in my opinion, this is for the best. These new games are looking very promising and I very much believe 2017 is going to be a great year for not only Sega and Sonic, but gaming in general. Boom is best left forgotten. Don't take any of this as fact or even as a rumor. It is purely what I've heard from people i trust. I'm not an insider and i won't give away or spoil anything that pertains to these new games. Time will tell how much of this pans out.

.........Got any proof?

No?

Then I ain't believing it.

Seriously.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

I never really cared for Classic Sonic either tbh-- I outright dislike Sonic 1, have little interest in playing Sonic 2 and 3, and while I do enjoy the CD remaster, its not amongst my favorite Sonic games and it holds little replay value for me. While I have nothing against 2D platformers, can certainly enjoy games like NSMB, and respect the Classic games for what they are and appreciate what I do like from them (like vertical exploration), I generally find that I prefer 3D platformers to 2D platformers. For whatever reason, I simply get more immersed in the former than the latter and prefer the mechanics.

Though I do have interest in Mania, I wouldn't be interested in a sequel if it didn't expand on the Classic formula in some way. Once would be enough for me-- and the initial surprise of "They're actually doing Classic right!" only has so much mileage. If Sega doesn't allow TaxStealth to do new and interesting things with Classic, which I know TaxStealth are capable of doing as they're talented developers, the novelty will wear off and the formula will go stale. Meanwhile, if Sega isn't giving proper acknowledgement and analysis to its prior mistake with experimenting with Sonic-- which refusing to face up to Boom and instead trying to bury it would strongly indicate-- its going to eventually go back to making the same mistakes that got the franchise in trouble in the first place.

This isn't even the first time something like this has happened-- Sega did the exact same thing with the Adventure formula when Sonic 06 tarnished its already dubious name. It went quiet, it found some scapegoats-- it tried to act like Sonic 06 never failed. Then it tried to act like everybody else should forget that it failed too. It first pushed a game that rectified its issues while distinguishing itself (Sonic Unleashed)-- but despite strong praise for what it did do right from the fandom and strong sales, that game ultimately didn't do enough good to win critics over. Does this sound familiar? It should-- Sonic Boom found a successful TV show whose success was never properly appreciated, Sanzaru set out to do with Fire and Ice what Unleashed was trying to do for mainline Sonic. But Sega took the critical backlash to mean that everything that remained from the Adventure era needed to be trashed, when in fact it needed to recognize that a lot of the backlash for the story's tone came from Sonic 06 rather than Unleashed and that continually making games with stories as good as Unleashed's would have cleared the stigma, that it was only a vocal minority that wanted all Sonic's friends save for Tails gone for good, and that Adventure-like elements don't have to be synonymous with poor technical performance and stupid gameplay ideas, amongst other things. It didn't have to face the consequences immediately-- after all, Colors and especially Sonic 4 had a fair amount of hype and Colors was able to compensate for 4's miserable failure with its good quality (I for one love Colors), not to mention that people really liked Gens when it came out. But merely pretending that the fallout from Sonic 06 never happened didn't make it go away-- it was instead allowed to fester, perhaps in quiet during 2010-2011 but nonetheless never dying, and influence the toxicity of discussions about Modern Sonic. Plus because Sega was so bent on forgetting the majority of the mistakes it made with Sonic 06 (extreme tones, rushing games, etc.) that it just kept making them, until RoL came out as the logical conclusion to those mistakes and put Sega in a crisis. Modern Sonic has never fully recovered from Sonic 06 because Sega, for all it does with the occasional reference, won't face it head on-- and you know what, despite the promising looks of Mania and 2017 (again, this lineup should sound familiar to you-- the Modern/Classic thing sounds an awful lot like Colors and 4), I don't think Modern Sonic has fully recovered from RoL either for exactly the same reason. I don't want to see the Sonic franchise on a rollarcoaster where it shows so much promise only to squander it all on old mistakes, but if Sega's not going to face RoL and give Boom more than a surface level analysis, and instead try to bury and forget Boom as a whole (giving it even less recognition than 06 and Adventure, might I add), then its already well on its way to repeating the cycle that got us RoL in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean the proof could probably be, I dunno, the Boom comic ending, Fire and Ice getting no promotion, and season 2 of the show being shifted between two networks and still at a terrible timeslot.

It's best to take what he said with a grain of salt, but the writing is on the wall.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

I never really cared for Classic Sonic either tbh-- I outright dislike Sonic 1, have little interest in playing Sonic 2 and 3, and while I do enjoy the CD remaster, its not amongst my favorite Sonic games and it holds little replay value for me. While I have nothing against 2D platformers, can certainly enjoy games like NSMB, and respect the Classic games for what they are and appreciate what I do like from them (like vertical exploration), I generally find that I prefer 3D platformers to 2D platformers. For whatever reason, I simply get more immersed in the former than the latter and prefer the mechanics.

Nice to see someone else who isn't enamored with Classic Games. But yeah exactly like you said, the whole Classic Moniker won't last long before people get bored and stale of it if it never introduces new concepts. But I think Sega will shy away from adding new things, specifically because it's Classic Sonic and don't want to mess with him too much or it's not Classic Sonic anymore. That's why I don't want the re-establishment of Classic games to happen because, knowing Sega, it most likely will end up going down that route.

Ranting Time

You brought up my exact reasonings as to why Classic Sonic shouldn't have been in Project 2017. They've lost faith in making 3D Sonic games and it shows. Ever since 06, they've become more and more safe with their games. Unleashed getting rid of Sonic's friends and adding unnecessary 2D sections in gameplay. Colors, Generations, and Lost World getting rid of serious plots. And now they're using Classic Sonic as a crutch and a backbone to appeal to the Classic fans. Now he's being hammered in games for whatever reason and it's becoming ridiculous. They're afraid to make a fully 3D Sonic game because of 06. They've been trying so hard to merge the Modern and Classic universes when that's been hindering them. Acting like none of the other characters exist and being incredibly light on story so it's just like the Classic days doesn't help Modern Sonic at all. The Classic games and most 2D games in the Sonic series are fine. They're good games. But it's the Modern era is where they need prove that they're capable of making good 3D Sonic games again.Classic Sonic is never going to fix that issue and I'm afraid Classic Sonic will start to become a main character in the Modern universe because Sega is afraid of making mistakes with Modern Sonic.

Rant Over

Phew. I'm happy to get all of that off my chest. Don't get me wrong. I loved Unleashed Day time stages despite the over abundance of 2D sections. I liked Colors and Generations despite their lack of story (Lost World is a mixed bag for me but that's a rant for another day). I just think those games could've "So Much More" (heh, that's a Sonic song). Fun Fact real quick, Colors DS is how Sonic Team was originally going to handle the Wii version of the game, with multiple of the Sonic Cast appearing and the reveal of the Mother Wisp, but Pontac & Graff screwed stuff up and Colors DS was where that story went to, which sucks. I also find it funny that to me, how the other Sonic Cast was written in Colors DS was a million times better than how they written in Generations lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Pulling the plug on Sonic Boom is certainly plausible, and even makes sense and (as sad as it is for me to say as someone who loves the show and comics) might even be smart in the long run.

Sega and Sonic Team are pretty much known for trying to forget their failures, they tried to do this around Sonic Colors' and Sonic 4 Episode I's release most famously. (Ironically this never happened, I still see copies of '06 and the Storybook games and Rise of Lyric sitting around store shelves. But oh well!) 

It almost makes too much sense that everything is lining up like this as EmmBee mentioned; Sonic Boom Season 2 has gotten like, zero promotion either, Cartoon Network kept it in it's awful time slot of "earlier than anyone should ever be awake on a Saturday morning" and then changed networks to Boomerang entirely, and I don't know...really anyone who has Boomerang.

Sonic Boom Fire and Ice, while recieved better than Shattered Crystal, still didn't do so hot in sales, and as much as I hate to sound like one of those weirdos from the SA3 page, that can mean one of a few things, especially since they didn't market it, like, at all: my guess would it that it has to do something with that. Sanzaru are incredibly talented developers and it would be an awful waste of their efforts and resources to just cancel the game outright, but that does make you wonder why they didn't market it given the extra year of development time it got.

The Sonic Boom comics ended like...a year ago, I think? But I always chalked that up to Archie having troubles, probably financial.