Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Let's be real (as much as I want to be hopeful), only Vector and Shadow are showing up, maybe Metal Sonic, he was scrapped from Robots from the Sky part 4, so I'm not sure. I wanted Rouge to appear but her VA is not hinted at anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, considering how Sam writes his episodes, I think Shadow episode will end on him lying on the floor, broken from losing to Sonic again, and then Sonic replying: "I need a cane" and leaving with no music in the background.

That Season 2 press release did mention "Shadow and other game characterS", so at least one more would have to appear alongside Shadow/Vector. Then again, that press release set up some very wrong expectations. People thought Shadow would get a recurring role this time, yet literally no one has showed up so far, almost a year later, when there's only eight episodes left that we don't know the title of, since they're likely not in any of the upcoming ones.  But assuming the press release didn't lie and there is a third character, it brings us to a weird situation because the credits have stayed the same throughout Season 2, indicating no other voice actor has joined. Some possibilities:

• The third character is just Metal Sonic again. (Not sure when they have Cybonic now)
  • It's someone who shares an existing voice actor...Charmy? Nah, if he appears it would be in the same episode as Vector and only if all three Chaotix are there. Espio's VA is not on the cast list and I doubt Sega would allow Kirk Thornton to imitate his voice. Is there anyone else? E-10000G from Free Riders voiced by Wally Wingert.
  • The third character's appearance and thus, his/her voice actor was not decided on when Season 2 premiered with the cast list (unlikely since it has been stated Boom episodes take about 2 years until they're finished) or is kept a secret on purpose. I wouldn't get my hopes up for that just yet, because wouldn't it be unfair if they list Keith but not another actor? Also, we're literally running out of episodes right now.

However it goes, it's obvious Sega doesn't seem to like the series using their extended cast and it really shows. Shadow's VA/Orbot is a regular on the show, they have his model ready yet they never use him. His and Metal's appearances were one of the weirdest episodes of Season 1. Even that bookshelf Team Sonic was building had more screen time in the Season 1 finale. He just appeared for the thrill factor, stood around while Eggman played a fangirl, disappeared, shortly fought Sonic and then disappeared again. Metal Sonic's sudden appearance at the end of his episode made a bit more sense since he was the true culprit they were searching for, but it was just as underwhelming and after that episode, it just seems weird how Eggman never ever uses the one minion that can actually face Sonic.

It seems Sega wanted Boom to be its own thing yet they wanted it to be consistent with the main franchise, which is not a bad thing per se but the execution was wonky. We're just supposed to accept that Sonic knows Metal Sonic and Shadow and never ever mentions or comments on them.Maybe they should not have chosen Shadow, one of the few characters with a complex backstory whose tone doesn't even fit a comedy just because he's popular? Guess we'll see how Shadow is treated this time. There were some hints of another multi/two-part episode, but chances are he'll just return to fight Sonic again. For Vector, he's a much, much more talkative character, so if his appearance is just another glorified cameo, they'll have to hide him until the last two or three minutes of the episode.

@Chameleon94 Despite what they said on Twitter, I bet they never even intended to use Metal Sonic for Robots in the Sky. The crew probably needs a special permission by Sonic Team to use Shadow/Metal/the rest of the extended cast and are closely supervised when doing so, and would probably not have been allowed to feature Metal in a side role anyway. Strange, isn't it, how Sonic fans nowadays can't even expect Sonic characters to show up in a Sonic show when they're already neglected in the games. : P

• Thumbs Up 4

What I don't understand is why they keep 'saving' Shadow as a special character for finale episodes and such. He's a mainline Sonic character and he's never really treated with such reverence there, plus he casually showed up in Rise of Lyric and everyone knows who he is, so why can't he just be a regular character? Like an occasionally reoccurring villain as Charlie is, for instance?

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

What I don't understand is why they keep 'saving' Shadow as a special character for finale episodes and such. He's a mainline Sonic character and he's never really treated with such reverence there, plus he casually showed up in Rise of Lyric and everyone knows who he is, so why can't he just be a regular character? Like an occasionally reoccurring villain as Charlie is, for instance?

Interesting they're both voices by the same VA. You get the feeling that some characters aren't used enough.

I bet they would have used Metal and Shadow more often by now if they were allowed to, but Sega has been getting more strict in how their characters are portrayed in the last few years. Even back when they had a lot more confidence in the Boom franchise. As said above, it's probably a difficult and time-consuming procedure for them to be added for a single episode even though one character's voice actor is on the show anyway and the other is completely silent. I imagine there's a lot of talk back and forth with Sonic Team in Japan when writing/animating such episodes. That's why Vector and whoever else might appear will probably have their standard design.

Doesn't seem like Sonic X had any of these regulations, but then again that show was produced in Japan...

• Thumbs Up 2

I think they don't use Metal and Shadow because they have no idea how to write them and they don't fit the comedy tone, they also want their appearances to be special. Am I the only one who liked how Shadow was written in episode 52? It wasn't our Shadow, a more Vegeta-ish Shadow, but I liked him.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

I think they don't use Metal and Shadow because they have no idea how to write them and they don't fit the comedy tone, they also want their appearances to be special. Am I the only one who liked how Shadow was written in episode 52? It wasn't our Shadow, a more Vegeta-ish Shadow, but I liked him.

I more or less meh to how Boom!Shadow. I hope they flesh out his character at least a little.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I more or less meh to how Boom!Shadow. I hope they flesh out his character at least a little.

Maybe they will give Shadow more of a backstory this time round.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally think the backstory is the weakest part of Shadow, what really ruins him, Maria and all that baggage.

18 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

I came back to say one more thing

Sonic Boom just doing well internationally isn't going to be enough for the show to continue because it's co created in US and it's meant for US audiences so if the show gets a season 3 which I hope it does and I think it will then it needs to be more easier to watch otherwise it would defeat the purpose of season 3

But I would rather not talk about how the show is getting treated anymore I hope the show gets more seasons and I hope the show makes it to US Netflix but for now I just want to watch the rest of season 2

News Flash: It's made in French, with american help. And it's important if it's popular in 170 countries vs 1 where it's not. I also think it's coming to Netflix US. When does the Hulu contract end?

Also, I've seen that recent licensing interview, and SEGA seems really proud of the show and its success, the fact that they sold it to lots of countries and the deal with Netflix.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Chameleon94 said:

I personally think the backstory is the weakest part of Shadow, what really ruins him, Maria and all that baggage.

Well, in Rise of Lyric both fans and critics complained about Shadow Not having any backstory and if Shadow had any in Sonic Boom, it would Not be the same in any way to the Modern Sonic version. Since its Sonic Boom, it has to be different, they can't copy everything from Modern Sonic and place it into Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gonna give my brief thoughts about the Anti Gravity Ray episode: It was pretty decent, Knuckles was pretty funny here, from that insight during the football game, to using his digging abilities to destroy the machine and bring gravity back to normal.

Although the purpose for the gravity ray was a bit odd, I thought Eggman was going to use that as another device against the team, but instead he uses it on Mother Nature.

Though theres a few laughs too, from Knuckles going up due to the ray, Eggman just dropping everything when he finds Team Sonic trying to solve the problem. The canon joke was also funny.

• Thumbs Up 2

According to the Sonic Wikia page of Sonic Boom episodes, the Victory and Three Men production numbers are 246 and 249, so with the gaps in production numbers between these 2 episodes, I would say there is a chance at a 2-part episode and a 3-part season Finale. Now there are other episode production number gaps and still 9 unknown episode titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

People are talking about Vector but has he been confirmed to be in Boom?  Also does anyone know what kinda status/time frame us Canadians are looking at for Boom Season 2?

41 minutes ago, StratusAsterion said:

People are talking about Vector but has he been confirmed to be in Boom? 

Confirmed? No.

But there has been some curious sightings here and there. His VA is listed in the credits for the TV show (although we don't know who he has voiced in the series so far, if any) and a Vector picture was displayed "too-close-to-not-be-suspicious" to a Sonic Boom logo at a recent event. All things considered If you had to hazard a guess on another character showing up in Boom, there are worse bets than Vector.

Other than that, this is a total stab in the dark. We don't have any confirmation about what other characters would be included in Sonic Boom outside of Metal and Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just had a wild thought. The 100th episode is near the end of this season. Maybe the game character appears here. 

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

The ratings seem higher than usually.

Great, hopefully we'll be getting a Season Three.

Just to remind everyone that the Teen Choice Awards 2017 with Sonic Boom as a nominee is this Sunday on Fox. This comes after the premiere of the three men episode of Sonic Boom this Saturday and before the release of Sonic Mania, this upcoming Tuesday. So a lot of Sonic stuff happening this week and hopefully Sonic Boom manages to win this award for (hopefully) Season 3, better treatment and home media release in North America.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/6/2017 at 9:34 AM, SonicComicFanboy said:

The more Sonic Boom I watch the more I realize why its on Boomerang.  The humor is too witty for CN's hyperactive kids demo but its not vulgar enough for the stoner demo of Adult Swim.  Its in a weird place where it isn't a steryotypical kids or adult show but a wonderfully quarky place between the two!

Also thats not a knock on CN/AS.  Just an observation.

Late reply but I wouldn't really say Sonic Boom feels like an "adult" show. Just feels like a typical kid's comedy series to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1