Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm actually kind of glad to see them air a generic episode like Tommy Thunder first, because I'd say each episode since has been a gradual improvement over the previous one aired. It makes me wonder if Tommy Thunder was intentionally trying to be lackluster, to help show how much the show has improved for the rest of season 2. 

Can the show go 4 weeks in a row, and beyond with consistent quality of enjoyable episodes? Let's hope so.

About the next episode, I know it's a longshot, but is anyone else wondering if it will about Big the Cat, since it's called "I'm Your Biggest Fan"? They did confirm more characters from the games would be introduced in season 2 after all.

Maybe it will be an episode where Big is introduced, and is looking for Froggy. Sonic helps Big find Froggy, and Big becomes obsessed with Sonic for helping him find Froggy. Big will then continue to lose Froggy, and keep pestering Sonic to find him. Sonic will be caught between getting annoyed with Big's constant requests to find Froggy, but try not to hurt Big's feelings.

If not, maybe it will be an Amy centered episode? So far, each of the main 5 characters has had a starring episode in season 2, except Amy, so maybe the shows producers wanted to kick the season off with a character centered episode each? Tommy Thunder was a Sonic centered episode, Spacemageddonacolypse was centered on Knuckles, Nutwork was centered on Sticks, and Alone Again Unaturally was a co starring episode between Sonic and Tails.

So it might make sense for the next episode to feature Amy though, but I doubt it. Amy really got the short end of the stick in season 1. Amy couldn't be in a single episode without the focus being swapped around from her to someone else, and most of the time, it was taken by   Eggman. I really hope season 2 quits giving Amy the side roles, and finally gives her episodes that give her a chance to shine. Most Amy centered episodes in season one treated her like a joke, while the other guys were in more than one episode that glorified them as heroes. Poor Amy hasn't really been given an opportunity like that yet.

Well those parts can be blamed on how inconsistent the characters are in this series to serve up for comedy in my opinion.

Not like I am hating on the cartoon but it does suffer a lot from a trope I see in some other shows that I am not a fan of.

I call it the "sitcom effect" and it does effect my enjoyment of this show quite a bit sometimes.

I still overall like Boom! But ignoring its issues is not something I can do.

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I'm actually kind of glad to see them air a generic episode like Tommy Thunder first, because I'd say each episode since has been a gradual improvement over the previous one aired. It makes me wonder if Tommy Thunder was intentionally trying to be lackluster, to help show how much the show has improved for the rest of season 2. 

That's usually a pretty bad idea. If people lose interest early on, they may not come back for later episodes, regardless of how much better they are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if those people are already watching the 2nd season, it's mildly unlikely that one bland episode will drain interest from the sink of a person's enjoyment mind.

Eh, if new watchers decide to jump on with the premier of season 2, then that'll be their first impression won't it. One bland episode could potentially do that. 

Then again, that's the least of their worries in viewership loss right now. 

Hey, guys, just a heads up: If you're using "SlingTV", "Nutwork" is on demand. However, it's titled "Episode 203" and it's located under the second "Sonic Boom" slot. I don't know why there's two, considering that spaceammagedonoc whatever, is in slot one. 

WELP, we finally know one of the episodes Ian Flynn wrote, Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Worse-er, which will air the week after.

And the episode after that one, I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here, is written by the director of the show herself, Natalys Raut-Sieuzac.

OMG @Bill Freiberger plz, the episode AFTER THAT ONE is In the Midnight Hour, the writer seems to be a new one to the Boom writing team, Paul Shriver. I have no idea who he is, oh god please don't be another Reid Harrison.

Spoiler

omg, this episode sounds like rouge is making a debut holy shit fam!

or maybe it's shadow or metal sonic but still.

• Thumbs Up 7

@SSF1991 Donnie, do we have any official stats in terms of how the CN reruns of the season 2 episodes are doing? In other words, has the Boomerang exclusivity made more people eager to tune into Cartoon Network's airings? Might be a good indicator of how the show is really doing.

Oh yeah, we got the plot synopsis for The Biggest Fan from Bill as well.

Holy crap, there never was a Sonic character as a Tapir. I actually forgot about that. Papa bless Mark the Tapir, the best character!

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Soni said:

Holy crap, there never was a Sonic character as a Tapir. I actually forgot about that. Papa bless Mark the Tapir, the best character!

If Sonic doesn't get the chance to say "oh, hi Mark," at all in this episode, then it will be a grand opportunity spectacularly wasted.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

If Sonic doesn't get the chance to say "oh, hi Mark," at all in this episode, then it will be a grand opportunity spectacularly wasted.

I'm calling it right now, Sonic will say that in the most annoyed voice when Mark is starting to really get on his nerves. IT WILL AMAZING!

whether he says how's your sex life will probably be mentioned in some sonic boom erotica or something like that

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Candy Cane Kahuna said:

Give Bees a Chance could be focusing on Amy, if the concept art has anything to give by.

Yes, but it still sounds like it will be an episode that will treat Amy like a joke. Just the thought of her adopting one of Eggman's minions is ridiculous. Not to mention the episode will have a lot of the characters unhappy with her decision. I'm sick of these episodes where Amy is acting out of character, or is poorly treated throughout. 

2 hours ago, Soni said:

So much for the idea of introducing Big the Cat, lol.

I like the premise though. I can imagine he'll become over protective of Sonic, and jealous of Sonic's friends. This should hopefully be a fun and hilarious episode.

Just now, SpongicX said:

Yes, but it still sounds like it will be an episode that will treat Amy like a joke. Just the thought of her adopting one of Eggman's minions is ridiculous. Not to mention the episode will have a lot of the characters unhappy with her decision. I'm sick of these episodes where Amy is acting out of character, or is poorly treated throughout. 

How would it be showing her out of character? One of Amy's defining character aspects since Boom started was her level of care about people. It was one of her key defining points and one of the best ones out of all the characters, even being used to capture her in Circus of Plunders because she cared too much about breaking the hearts of those who wouldn't get to attend the circus. It really isn't that out of character to believe one of Eggman's minions could be taken in by her because Amy of all characters would be one of the most forgiving ones and one who would like to give people second chances, even robots. Especially when she knows first hand from Orbot and Cubot that some of his robots are capable of independent thought and emotions. While it might get taken to extremes, this is something that fits with Amy's caring nature. This was the same character after all who thought Eggman of all people was redeemable at that start of the series.

At this point, I legitimately don't know how you can be satisfied with this show at all because when Amy is portrayed as uncaring, and a control freak, you're pissed off at it, which is fair enough, because I hate it too, seeing it as completely out of character for Amy, and not even being done for good humor, but rather to just try show her as an egotistical freak when she was created in Boom as a caring person, reasonable, and level-headed, which was meant to be the key distinctions from her normal counterpart. However, you're now acting pissed off when they actually do try to bring her character back to how she was originally designed, and somehow showing her as one of the more caring members of the show is turning her into a complete joke. 

And for the record, of course people will disagree with her decision. That's the conflict of the episode, because shows, and especially comedy tends to be nothing but complete crap when there's no source of conflict between the characters to drive the plot of the episode. What's the point of watching the show if all the characters just agreed with each other despite widely conflicting personalities and ideologies? It would always be out of character, and just plain boring.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

How would it be showing her out of character? One of Amy's defining character aspects since Boom started was her level of care about people. It was one of her key defining points and one of the best ones out of all the characters, even being used to capture her in Circus of Plunders because she cared too much about breaking the hearts of those who wouldn't get to attend the circus. It really isn't that out of character to believe one of Eggman's minions could be taken in by her because Amy of all characters would be one of the most forgiving ones and one who would like to give people second chances, even robots. Especially when she knows first hand from Orbot and Cubot that some of his robots are capable of independent thought and emotions. While it might get taken to extremes, this is something that fits with Amy's caring nature. This was the same character after all who thought Eggman of all people was redeemable at that start of the series.

At this point, I legitimately don't know how you can be satisfied with this show at all because when Amy is portrayed as uncaring, and a control freak, you're pissed off at it, which is fair enough, because I hate it too, seeing it as completely out of character for Amy, and not even being done for good humor, but rather to just try show her as an egotistical freak when she was created in Boom as a caring person, reasonable, and level-headed, which was meant to be the key distinctions from her normal counterpart. However, you're now acting pissed off when they actually do try to bring her character back to how she was originally designed, and somehow showing her as one of the more caring members of the show is turning her into a complete joke. 

And for the record, of course people will disagree with her decision. That's the conflict of the episode, because shows, and especially comedy tends to be nothing but complete crap when there's no source of conflict between the characters to drive the plot of the episode. What's the point of watching the show if all the characters just agreed with each other despite widely conflicting personalities and ideologies? It would always be out of character, and just plain boring.

I know it's in her character to be caring, but it's not in her character to be so gullible. We don't even know why she'll adopt a Bee Bot, but chances are it will be over something ridiculous. Chances are, there will be a predictable twist where Eggman reveals that Bea was working with him the entire time, and used Amy's habit of nurturing to have Bea attack Sonic and pals when they least expected it.

Another reason why Amy's choice of adopting a Bee bot is a bit annoying, is because not only are bee bots common enemies that she destroys, but in the episode Buster, she wasn't too fond of Sticks having a pet robot dog. I'm aware it was mostly due to it's gross slime barfing, but still, Amy wanted Sticks to get a real pet, and not a robot she found in the trash. Having Amy adopting a pet robot seems hypocritical, except this time, she knows ahead of time that she's raising a weapon invented by her arch enemy. We already have Knuckles as the gullible character, so why does Amy have to be so gullible, despite being one of the socially wisest characters in the series? Tails and Eggman may be smarter when it comes to inventing and physics, but Amy is wiser and more skilled when it comes to social interactions, communication, archaeology, battle tactics, and combat. Amy shouldn't be so dumb to think taking care of an enemie's robot would be a good idea. 

I think a better episode concept could have been for Eggman to be going out of town to acquire some new materials to expand his base, and can't trust Orbot or Cubot to be left alone for as long as he'll be gone, so he desperately begs Amy to baby sit them. That would be a funnier premise, and like you said, Amy can see the better halves of Orbot and Cubot, so it would be more fitting for Amy to watch  over Orbot and Cubot, compared to a Bee Bot. I have nothing against Amy's nurturing side, I think it's cute, but I do get annoyed when the show takes it so far, that it makes her have the dumbest decisions. All I'm asking for is for the show to portray Amy as a valuable member to Team Sonic, every single character has had an episode, where the characters are saved in the end by either Sonic, Tails, Sticks, Knuckles, and even Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot. I just want Amy to finally get a well deserved episode where she's the one who saves the day. We haven't seen a single episode where Sonic and pals are cornered, only for Amy to jump in and take down a robot army, or giant robot by herself. We've seen everyone but Amy have a moment like that. I just find it a bit unfair, Amy is a very fun character, and I feel she hasn't gotten enough chances to show how good of a character she can really be, if that makes any sense. 

I also know that conflicts are important to stories. I'm not saying the characters should always be nice to each other, but there's a difference between messing around, and just being cruel. For example, I loved "Alone Again, Unaturally" the characters had their bitter moments, but they were actually handled hilariously in my opinion, and didn't come off as too mean spirited. Tails seemed a bit smug and uncaring towards his reckless experiments causing harm to Sonic, and the tone in his voice, and facial expressions made him a bit obnoxious, but his behavior in the rest of the episode made up for it. Tails went to great lengths to fix the wrongs of his experiments, and even risked his life to save Sonic, without knowing if he'd be able to bring Sonic and himself back to their plane of reality.

The characters had their negative moments in this episode, but they really came through for each other in the end. Notice how Amy told Knuckles to protect Tails, while she and Sticks fight off the other robots? For once, Knuckles actually went through with one of Amy's tactics, instead of rebelling against her, and telling her "you're not the boss of me." Knuckles instead nodded, and protected Tails. I like seeing the characters being cooperative in battle, instead of letting differences get in their ways. Remember how in Curse of Buddy Buddy Temple, where a big chunk of the episode was wasted on Amy and Knuckles's petty arguments over who is in charge? That was just plain stupid, and careless of the characters. Sonic was in real danger, yet they almost risked having him killed by wasting time arguing, instead of breaking into the temple to save Sonic. 

I just hate how most every episode that features Amy has the entire gang seem like they're against her though. They're always sighing and moaning at her, laughing at her, ignoring her, ditching her, etc. I want to see episodes where Amy gets equal treatment to the rest of the gang, instead of being portrayed as a mistreated nag. Amy is a member of Sonic's team, and I wish the writers of the show would remember that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just thought I'd bring this up, but Alone Again Unnaturally might have been RCS's strongest performance to date.

I'm not usually someone who singles out voice acting like this. I've been generally happy with just about all the VA's over the years (save for Amy's short lived minnie-mouse phase and whatever they did to Jet) but Sonic's vocal cue's in this episode were on point. This wasn't even a relatively safe performance either. Sonic spent half the episode screaming in pain, screaming into his handset and generally being the ham we love him for. Every line was spot on.

I've only ever noted two other VA's in this series as having exceptional performances (enough for me to notice anyway). Mike Pollok is a gold mine for Eggman, Like seriously. And I really liked Bella Hudson's work with Blaze. But here's hoping that RCS can keep channeling whatever he had going for him here. It was great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, this and the Meteor episode was another strong point for him. Never forgetti that evil laugh and the STOOOOP line!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I just thought I'd bring this up, but Alone Again Unnaturally might have been RCS's strongest performance to date.

I'm not usually someone who singles out voice acting like this. I've been generally happy with just about all the VA's over the years (save for Amy's short lived minnie-mouse phase and whatever they did to Jet) but Sonic's vocal cue's in this episode were on point. This wasn't even a relatively safe performance either. Sonic spent half the episode screaming in pain, screaming into his handset and generally being the ham we love him for. Every line was spot on.

I've only ever noted two other VA's in this series as having exceptional performances (enough for me to notice anyway). Mike Pollok is a gold mine for Eggman, Like seriously. And I really liked Bella Hudson's work with Blaze. But here's hoping that RCS can keep channeling whatever he had going for him here. It was great.

Agreed. Sonic's screams of "FASTER!" and "DO IT!" to get Tails to boost his speed were amazing.

Also, did anyone else catch the South Park reference in 'Nutwork'?

Comedy Chimp opens his standup routine with "have you seen this, have you heard about this?" in exactly the same manner as Jimmy does on South Park (albeit with less stuttering). Just thought this was a neat shoutout.

7 hours ago, Candy Cane Kahuna said:

Yeah, this and the Meteor episode was another strong point for him. Never forgetti that evil laugh and the STOOOOP line!

COME ON GUYS, WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Suffice to say, Roger was amazing throughout this show's run. Love it!

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Comedy Chimp opens his standup routine with "have you seen this, have you heard about this?" in exactly the same manner as Jimmy does on South Park (albeit with less stuttering). Just thought this was a neat shoutout.

That was probably more of a Leno reference honestly.

Also I personally love Roger as the voice of Sonic anyway but I love how hammy he got in this episode. To me he's just the perfect Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Also I personally love Roger as the voice of Sonic anyway but I love how hammy he got in this episode. To me he's just the perfect Sonic.

Same. I remember the first time people started to hear Roger's performance as Sonic. So many people were outraged and wanted Jason back (which was the exact same thing they said when Jason started voicing Sonic). Roger had stated in an interview about how he had gotten a lot of hate mails from Sonic fans saying that he wasn't their Sonic. Sucks that that what he had to deal with, but he never let that get to him. A lot of people have questioned me as to why I like Roger out of all the other VA's and I always tell them it;s because of how much personality and charm his voice has. Don't get me wrong I love both Jason and Ryan as well, but I just think Roger does a whole lot more with the character. Can't wait to see a more serious side to his voice in the next Sonic game. As someone who was very confused to what they wanted to be when they got older, I can say that Roger, along with many others helped me decide that I want to become a voice actress.

I know that got super sappy there, but I just wanted to state my feelings  One of my favorite lines from Roger has got to be from Late Fees from season 1 when Fastidious Beaver couldn't decide on what he wanted to order. "Juice. Have Juice. Everyone loves Juice." Followed by "HE DOES'T WANT ANYTHING ELSE!" That was hilarious.

Also, "Radical SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE!"

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, ShadowSJG said:

Any word on Shadow's appearance?

Nope. We just know that he and other characters from the games will be appearing some time this Season. I was hoping that Shadow would be a reoccuring as we still don't much about him in this Universe. We'll just have to wait and see.