Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

I hate this. I might lose my favorite cartoon, and I can't do a thing about it.

But something has to be done.

1 minute ago, SonicWind said:

It's not often I call on Family Guy as a source of great inspiration, but all this talk of helping to boost ratings reminds me of the episode where Peter basically gains total control over the networks by stealing everyone's cable boxes and rigging the ratings to keep his favourite shows on the air. Perhaps the Sonic fandom could do something similar? 

And yes, I'm being sarcastic, although it would be great fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mad Convoy said:

So yeah, going to go with "wanting everybody to hate Boom no matter what and finding whatever reason possible to claim its bad". That or blatantly having an agenda-- here's a fun drinking game, take a shot whenever a Boom hater immediately follows up a claim of dubious accuracy or doom and gloom with claiming that an anime like Sonic X or serious cartoon like SatAM should start production right now as it would be more successful. I hope Donnie can at least put the circle-jerkers outside of their comfort zone long enough for them to start seriously considering what their ideas actually mean-- I can already see some cognitive dissonance in TSSZ comment section.

Ugh, please don't get me started. I had gone over to a video on YouTube recently that had talk about the supposed rumor on Sega trying to kill off Boom. Majority of the comments were people rejoicing over it which I ignored. There were a couple of people there who did like the Show and were saddened by it so I commented and said that I agreed with them. Then some random dude came up and was like "Why, Boom was crap and this could lead to Sega actually making a good TV series with both action and comedy". Then I told him that Boom sucking is subjective. Season 1 did really well and the only reason why Season 2 isn't doing well is because of the lack of advertising on both Sega's and CN's half. Also, Boom DOES have both action and comedy. If you did take the time to watch the show, you'd know that.

Then out of completely nowhere he says "People like you are the reason why Sonic sucks. You blindly accept anything with his face on it and accept mediocrity instead of actual good content". I'm sorry, what?! How do you go from me liking Boom, to saying I'm the downfall of Sega. So I tell the guy how ludicrous his assumption is by saying that I didn't enjoy Colors, Generations, and Lost World's story because they were quite lacking in my opinion. Those that sound like someone who likes mediocrity? Then I tell him that I won't be buying Sonic Mania because I honestly am not interested in it. Does that sound like someone that buys anything with his face on it. Then I say that I personally believe that Sonic's "issue" is that Sega always focuses on past successions when something goes wrong. Izuka said that Classic Sonic would only be in Generations and look where we are now. They're to afraid of trying to do anything new, so they just play it safe.

Then the guy goes on to say that he wasn't directing the comment at me, he was directing it to fans as a whole. Even though he just sad, word for word, "Fans like you". I called him out on it and he stopped responding. Thank freaking God.

• Thumbs Up 1

"People like you are the reason Sonic sucks."

As if the fanbase, who have absolutely no involvement in the development, promotion or quality assurance of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, are somehow responsible for its missteps.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Ugh, please don't get me started. I had gone over to a video on YouTube recently that had talk about the supposed rumor on Sega trying to kill off Boom. Majority of the comments were people rejoicing over it which I ignored. There were a couple of people there who did like the Show and were saddened by it so I commented and said that I agreed with them. Then some random dude came up and was like "Why, Boom was crap and this could lead to Sega actually making a good TV series with both action and comedy". Then I told him that Boom sucking is subjective. Season 1 did really well and the only reason why Season 2 isn't doing well is because of the lack of advertising on both Sega's and CN's half. Also, Boom DOES have both action and comedy. If you did take the time to watch the show, you'd know that.

Bolded for emphasis. Its interesting that they claim that-- because if they really wanted Sega to make more Sonic shows, they should be supportive of Boom's efforts. Why? Because Boom is Sega's first attempt at making a Sonic show in years, and thus Sega still has some uncertainty as to if a Sonic show can still work in modern times. If it is perceived as a large failure at Sega, nobody is getting a new show because Sega's uncertainty will turn to being certain that a new Sonic show is a terrible, unprofitable, and unpopular idea. Their dream action anime sure as heck won't come because as far as Sega is concerned, it tried that with X and that show not only didn't even get to air the third season in Japan but has a bad reputation outside of its dwindling fandom nowadays. And even if it did, then there's no guarantee that it will be good, treated any better than Boom was (especially if it ends up on CN again), and liked more than Boom.

And people who claim that a subgroup of fans are somehow ruining the franchise by daring to like and support something they don't can go screw. Really, I hate that crap. And I'd argue that its actually worse to claim that a subgroup is ruining the franchise than to claim the same for an individual, since the subgroup encompasses multiple people.

-------

10 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Fans could try to make their own web series based off of Boom as a continuation. Sega is really good about fanworks and Boom has garnered quite the audience on Youtube in the past. I would if I knew how to animate.

3 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

"People like you are the reason Sonic sucks."

As if the fanbase, who have absolutely no involvement in the development, promotion or quality assurance of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, are somehow responsible for its missteps.

The reason why 06 failed. Sega tried to release the game that holiday and rushed the development team. The reason why Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric failed. Because Sega never told BRB that they had a contract with Nintendo and that they're game had to be on the Wii U when it couldn't support Cry Engine. And then they had to work with Nintendo to get the Cry Engine to work because the game was too far in development for them to start all over again. Then Sega rushed them again to get the game out before the end of the year. Literally the two biggest mishaps in Sega's history is because they shot their own selves in the foot. Not us. I know that some fans can be demanding (Classic and Adventure fans), but they don't inheritly make the game bad. That's all down to the dev team and the company themselves.

3 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Bolded for emphasis. Its interesting that they claim that-- because if they really wanted Sega to make more Sonic shows, they should be supportive of Boom's efforts. Why? Because Boom is Sega's first attempt at making a Sonic show in years, and thus Sega still has some uncertainty as to if a Sonic show can still work in modern times. If it is perceived as a large failure at Sega, nobody is getting a new show because Sega's uncertainty will turn to being certain that a new Sonic show is a terrible, unprofitable, and unpopular idea. Their dream action anime sure as heck won't come because as far as Sega is concerned, it tried that with X and that show not only didn't even get to air the third season in Japan but has a bad reputation outside of its dwindling fandom nowadays. And even if it did, then there's no guarantee that it will be good, treated any better than Boom was (especially if it ends up on CN again), and liked more than Boom.

And people who claim that a subgroup of fans are somehow ruining the franchise by daring to like and support something they don't can go screw. Really, I hate that crap. And I'd argue that its actually worse to claim that a subgroup is ruining the franchise than to claim the same for an individual, since the subgroup encompasses multiple people.

That's exactly what I told them. It could easily be treated just as bad as Boom. Like you said, Sonic X never got the third season that it was meant to have and as far as I know, people used to really hate X because it wasn't like SATAM. Now they've switch over to Boom now and everyone like it again. It's ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

as far as I know, people used to really hate X because it wasn't like SATAM. Now they've switch over to Boom now and everyone like it again. It's ridiculous.

This sounds all too familiar, like I've seen it happen before. Can't remember where that was, though. It annoys me when it does happen, though.

I think it was the Sonic Adventure games that I remember that from?

2 minutes ago, Polkadi the Snowman said:

This sounds all too familiar, like I've seen it happen before. Can't remember where that was, though. It annoys me when it does happen, though.

I think it was the Sonic Adventure games that I remember that from?

I remember when people used to say that the last good Sonic games were Adventure 1 and 2. Now since people like Egorapter, Jim Sterling, and Projared (even though Jared did acknowledge that other people can like the game and didn't discredit us) everyone thinks that the Adventure games are crap now. While I do think that some people over-glorify those games, they're perfectly fine in my book and don't deserve all the hate they get.

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

"People like you are the reason why Sonic sucks. You blindly accept anything with his face on it and accept mediocrity instead of actual good content".

A Sonic fan likes Sonic.

Who would've guessed?

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

A Sonic fan likes Sonic.

Who would've guessed?

I know, crazy right?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CottonCandy said:

Now that you mention it. This Sonic Boom series reminds me alot of Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures, if anyone of you remember that. It had a cartoon, tie-in games ( and a mobile game), and alot of merchandise but it's fading out of existence. I haven't seeing much of advertisements for it and apparently Namco doesn't think that much of it nowadays. 

I'm afraid Sonic Boom is heading now the same path. 

Apparently the show is still running since Netflix has the Halloween and Christmas special which came out this year. 

Honestly, at this point Boom would be better off dumped on Netflix too. At least there people will actually see it and it'll be properly advertised.

1 minute ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Honestly, at this point Boom would be better off dumped on Netflix too. At least there people will actually see it and it'll be properly advertised.

I've been asking it to be on Netflix for such a long time now, lol. It's the only way that I can actually watch the series legally. And it'll be advertised better on their than it ever would on CN or Boomerang.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just bet if Boom does get canceled and the next show gives everyone exactly what they want (Read being exactly like SatAM) they'd still complain about it.

I don't think so.

Maybe they just don't like sonic boom

I know if its fun to lump  those who aren't with what you like in a group. But fanatics aside... I feel a lot of critcism for boom as a whole is legitimate. And while I want it to be successful, I can't really argue with peoples feelings of " why does this exist" because... I feel like it hasn't ever justified is existence as a concept. It feels like an idea that got let out to early ( which is reflective of most of the crap character designs) and while I can see what they are going for with the show games and in general. A lot of other folks are... final product people, and they wanna see whats on the table, and boom just seems... strange

I know if its fun to lump  those who aren't with what you like in a group

1. It's not fun.

2. None of us here are doing that.

3. It has nothing to do with "not being with us". I don't understand why people always use this as a defense when someone who likes Boom speaks up, regardless of how polite the person was. is it so hard to not be a jerk? Because that's literally the only thing people have been arguing here. It has nothing to do with hating Boom, it's hating on us for liking it.

I feel a lot of critcism for boom as a whole is legitimate.

And the interest of Boom as a whole is legitimate too. It goes both ways. People have legitimate criticisms, and people have legitimate interest. There's no wrong or right here.

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

It feels like an idea that got let out to early ( which is reflective of most of the crap character designs) and while I can see what they are going for with the show games and in general. A lot of other folks are... final product people, and they wanna see whats on the table, and boom just seems... strange

And again, people will disagree with that. As I said, it goes both ways and there's no wrong or right here. No one's saying they're wrong for hating Boom. But the more time passes, the more people who like Boom feel like they're not allowed to.

• Thumbs Up 9

It really upsets me seeing the fanbase so totally divided over Boom, with a lot of volatility from both sides. If anything, a new direction for the series (complete with a CGI cartoon) should be something we all unite behind, because, sadly enough, the realistic truth is that Sonic is an ailing brand. If it's going to survive and maintain its relevance, it needs to do stuff like this, which is also why everyone's so frustrated at the show's mismanagement.

Pandering to the fans won't keep a franchise of this magnitude afloat, harsh though that may sound; a much wider demographic, kids included, needs to be targeted. That's why Boom exists. That's why there's so much merch aimed at children. Above all, it's why we aren't getting Adventure 3. Suddenly having a third instalment in a subseries that hasn't seen anything new for 15 years would be confusing to the average consumer, and further dilutes the Sonic 'gene pool' so to speak. In other words: there needs to be more focus on moving forward and giving today's market what will sell, not what will satisfy the demands of hardcore devotees.

The sooner everybody accepts that Sonic the Hedgehog is a fiscal IP which must generate revenue by putting SEGA's business interests at the forefront, and not some 'custom-built' brand which must be tailored specifically to what certain groups of people want otherwise it's 'wrong', the sooner this kind of vitriol might die down.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

I'm not going to unite behind it if it's not got what attracts me to the franchise at all. 

And that's fine, so long as you recognise why SEGA did what they did in greenlighting Boom. We mustn't be bashing them for doing what it takes to heighten the relevance of the brand. Middling games sales can only do so much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

And again, people will disagree with that. As I said, it goes both ways and there's no wrong or right here. No one's saying they're wrong for hating Boom. But the more time passes, the more people who like Boom feel like they're not allowed to.

And If you feel that way I'm sorry for you having to feel that way, wanting indulge in conversation with people who insist that your interests are wrong is grating. For me personally though... I haven't experienced this too much. Not to suggest your claims aren't legitimate,My experience has been " hey sonic boom" and people instead of being vitriolic , are just not interested. 

11 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

It really upsets me seeing the fanbase so totally divided over Boom, with a lot of volatility from both sides. If anything, a new direction for the series (complete with a CGI cartoon) should be something we all unite behind,

because, sadly enough, the realistic truth is that Sonic is an ailing brand. If it's going to survive and maintain its relevance, it needs to do stuff like this, which is also why everyone's so frustrated at the show's mismanagement.

I think you mention yourself earlier that you have a fan have no obligation towards the qualitative testing of something sega brings out. You are also as a fan  , or people like you are not obligated to like said thing. Whether you think people should like it or no, it doesn't make people like something, and that's just reality. 

Pandering to the fans won't keep a franchise of this magnitude afloat, harsh though that may sound; a much wider demographic, kids included, needs to be targeted. 

Maybe, maybe not we'll see. 

That's why Boom exists. That's why there's so much merch aimed at children.

I think boom exists for the exact opposite reason you are suggesting , I persoanlly think boom, the games were an attempt at least at one point to have a stab at adventure again. 

Above all, it's why we aren't getting Adventure 3. Suddenly having a third instalment in a subseries that hasn't seen anything new for 15 years would be confusing to the average consumer, and further dilutes the Sonic 'gene pool' so to speak. In other words: there needs to be more focus on moving forward and giving today's market what will sell, not what will satisfy the demands of hardcore devotees.

You mean like sonic mania, a new classic game. I'm let you think about that. Sonic mania is litterally the thing you are talking about. And if that does well, why fucking not just make a new sonic adventure game. The folks yelling at you to do nostalgia have money and free time they are adults now * shrugs* . They are making a new game aimed at hardcore devotee's, its called sonic mania. And its existence caused two entirely separate groups of people to become disinterested in sonic 2017 as I explained in that thread.

The sooner everybody accepts that Sonic the Hedgehog is a fiscal IP, and thus one which must generate revenue by putting SEGA's business interests at the forefront, not some 'custom-built' brand which must be tailored specifically to what certain groups of people want otherwise it's 'wrong', the sooner this kind of vitriol might die down.

Catering to groups gets you money, which would be the goal of a fiscal IP. Which is why they are making sonic mania. Also you can cater to different groups at the same time by making multiple types of products, and let each group feel the other one is wrong and still make money. Go ask Nintendo. 

I guess I could have worded some of my little diatribe there better, heh. 

Basically, all I'm saying is that you don't have to like the things that SEGA do, but we've all gotta recognise why they do them. Sure, we may not all be on board with said motivations/reasons, but if the end result is Sonic continues as a series, our losses are cut. Better to survive and be called every name in the book than go down without a fight, I always say.

Also, hasn't it been explicitly stated once or twice that Boom was specifically designed to drum up interest among a young Western audience? Could be wrong on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Boom games were said to be more story-heavy but it's PR buzzwords since Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal are about as barebones in terms of plot than Generations and the like.

The show knew what it wanted to do, the games just added unnecessary confusion having an near-entirely different canon altogether, even from each other.

I think you mention yourself earlier that you have a fan have no obligation towards the qualitative testing of something sega brings out. You are also as a fan  , or people like you are not obligated to like said thing. Whether you think people should like it or no, it doesn't make people like something, and that's just reality. 

1. That's not what people are doing. People who love Boom do so because it's good quality programming to them. Honestly, this thread alone has evidence of that. It contains explanations from many people here. It's pretty clear that people enjoy the show not because they're obliged to. They legitimately enjoy it.

2. Once again, this is talking down at people who enjoy the show as just "blind fanboys", as if their opinion means nothing. I never said anything about 'having no obligation towards quality". This is the Sonic fanbase. If you're here, then clearly you like Sonic in some way. But if you express this towards a product that someone else doesn't like, you get slammed for it. No one in the fanbase has been fanboys. I wouldn't even call the Sonic Adventure 3 folks "fanboys". People have their reasons for liking/disliking something, and regardless of whether you agree with it or not, they're allowed to. But to say 'as a fan you have no obligation towards quality" is not what people are saying at all. It's just sad when people talk down to you for liking Sonic because it's a Sonic product that those people don't like.

30 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'm not going to unite behind it if it's not got what attracts me to the franchise at all. 

Well, that's your problem. It's just some people would rather not be dragged along for the ride, so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, SSF1991 said:

It's just some people would rather not be dragged along for the ride, so to speak.

Bingo. Donnie hit the nail right on the head here. 

It's perfectly OK to have a negative opinion of Boom - even be vocal with that opinion - but to imply it's having a detrimental impact on the Sonic franchise and to refuse to recognise that it might be in SEGA's best interests is a bit silly.

There's a crucial difference between acknowledging the benefits of something and liking it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

I guess I could have worded some of my little diatribe there better, heh. 

Basically, all I'm saying is that you don't have to like the things that SEGA do, but we've all gotta recognise why they do them.

...people do that. They also criticize the reasoning behind the why? Understanding why doesnt make the choice good or any means more intelligent.

Sure, we may not all be on board with said motivations/reasons, but if the end result is Sonic continues as a series, our losses are cut.

You can also criticize the direction a series is going. Also continuing doesnt even mean good.

Better to survive and be called every name in the book than go down without a fight, I always say.

Its a bit more complicated than that

1 hour ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Bingo. Donnie hit the nail right on the head here. 

It's perfectly OK to have a negative opinion of Boom - even be vocal with that opinion - but to imply it's having a detrimental impact on the Sonic franchise and to refuse to recognise that it might be in SEGA's best interests is a bit silly.

But you can totally think its having a bad effect on the franchise. You can also think its not in sega's best interest. Rumor has it, sega themselves doesn't think sonic boom is in their continued best interest. Those are ok opinions and you can argue them. 

There's a crucial difference between acknowledging the benefits of something and liking it.

But you dont have to do either. You can think its not doing well and its bad. That's totally fine. No one has to like what you like, no one has to find it benificial either. That's all there is to it.

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

2. Once again, this is talking down at people who enjoy the show as just "blind fanboys", as if their opinion means nothing. I never said anything about 'having no obligation towards quality". This is the Sonic fanbase. If you're here, then clearly you like Sonic in some way. But if you express this towards a product that someone else doesn't like, you get slammed for it. No one in the fanbase has been fanboys. I wouldn't even call the Sonic Adventure 3 folks "fanboys". People have their reasons for liking/disliking something, and regardless of whether you agree with it or not, they're allowed to. But to say 'as a fan you have no obligation towards quality" is not what people are saying at all. It's just sad when people talk down to you for liking Sonic because it's a Sonic product that those people don't like.

Sorry, but that quote is for this

2 hours ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

It really upsets me seeing the fanbase so totally divided over Boom, with a lot of volatility from both sides. If anything, a new direction for the series (complete with a CGI cartoon) should be something we all unite behind, because, sadly enough, the realistic truth is that Sonic is an ailing brand. If it's going to survive and maintain its relevance, it needs to do stuff like this, which is also why everyone's so frustrated at the show's mismanagement.

Pandering to the fans won't keep a franchise of this magnitude afloat, harsh though that may sound; a much wider demographic, kids included, needs to be targeted. That's why Boom exists. That's why there's so much merch aimed at children. Above all, it's why we aren't getting Adventure 3. Suddenly having a third instalment in a subseries that hasn't seen anything new for 15 years would be confusing to the average consumer, and further dilutes the Sonic 'gene pool' so to speak. In other words: there needs to be more focus on moving forward and giving today's market what will sell, not what will satisfy the demands of hardcore devotees.

The sooner everybody accepts that Sonic the Hedgehog is a fiscal IP which must generate revenue by putting SEGA's business interests at the forefront, and not some 'custom-built' brand which must be tailored specifically to what certain groups of people want otherwise it's 'wrong', the sooner this kind of vitriol might die down.

It was in response suggesting that we should be uniting behind sonic boom and sonic needs this.

Sonic is a product, we dont need to unite behind anything, and what sonic needs is either decided by sega, the market or both. And whether people like it is another story. That's what that response is to . Not anything you wrote.

• Thumbs Up 1