Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

A decent enough start to the second season. The biggest flaw with season 1 was the lack of scope (something they even jabbed at during the finale) - so right off the bat we get an episode that gets bigger contributions outside of Snc/Tls/Knux/Amy/Stx/Eggy.

Pretty Solid all around. Better animation, better action, just what you would expect out of a season 2.

Best part was Eggman 

Spoiler

Being offended by not receiving a Bakers dozen. That's perfect Eggman right there. How dare they not include an extra freebe.

• Thumbs Up 6

Actually, I've just realized the sound design is way better in general. First of all, they're mostly not using the generic movie orchestral pieces for fights (see Sonic's baguette fight, the bandit fight and the AoStH piece), second, they're using more music in general (see the 2nd and 3rd meh burger scenes and the comedy chimp show) and they've got ambient noise for the beach and for the jungle.

7 hours ago, Soni.exe said:

shut up donnie

Anyways, we have two references to AoStH in the show along with a reference to Underground. So here I am wondering when we'll get a reference SatAM, the OVA or X?

Welp, for the OVA reference....

....this fucking show man.

Wait, hang on.

There was an Underground reference? WHAT DID I MISS???

I was honestly surprised to find out Season 2 started today. Of course thanks to Cartoon Network's lack of advertising I ain't too surprised.

But anyway I watched the episode and it was pretty funny but a bit meh. It's neat how much has improved, different music, better animation, etc. It makes me happy the creators of the show are putting care into the product. Now if only they could fix their liquid problem, I always complained about how liquids looked in season 1. The characters seemed alright and while the plot was on the bland side, they didn't really fall into the usual tropes of that plotline that much. There was also Eggman, he was of course as hilarious as usual, though I was disappointed at how he felt kind of brushed to the side for this episode. I do like how the writers do make references but do tend to poke fun at a few Sonic tropes. I did laugh at the Sonic and Tails moment since it was kind of referencing and poking fun at how Tails pretty much always follows Sonic around in the games. A decent episode which is a nice start for season 2.

Though now that I know Season 2 has started I need to set up recordings because I definitely won't be able to wake up early enough to watch it. If we get a Season 3 the staff should really consider movie the show to Netflix. It worked out for the Dragons series after Cartoon Network pretty much gave it the same treatment as Sonic Boom.

Did this on Tumblr, but here's my thoughts on Method Actor.

It was an alright episode. Weird that there was no title card for this. Also did Ouido change their name or did they get replaced?

tumblr_ofv1o7fagp1udzlioo1_500.gif

The colors and animation have improved greatly. It's so bouncy and the poses really help make the fight scenes more dynamic. And yay, he uses the enerbeam!

There were some funny bits as well. The knock knock joke, Tommy Thunder getting roasted by Sonic and later Eggman. Speaking of Eggman...

tumblr_ofv1czYBB21udzlioo1_500.gif

"WHY DO ALL OF MY SOCIAL INTERACTIONS END LIKE THIISSS"

He was funny in this episode. Doing the little singing and making muffins, and that WHAT THE SNAP line! 

Tommy Thunder as a character was really annoying. Talking in 3rd person, and having that annoying ego too.

The mid ending could've been done better. Tommy taking the credit again after that Eggman fight was... Uh....

... Overall its a good way to start Season 2. I'm looking forward to the other episodes! ?

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Spoopy Flare said:

Also did Ouido change their name or did they get replaced?

Their name changed; they got bought out by Technicolor. Not a big deal, really.

18 minutes ago, Spoopy Flare said:

tumblr_ofv1o7fagp1udzlioo1_500.gif

I just noticed-- the Motobug on the left recoils in surprise! Nice little touch there.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I honesty can't understand people being annoyed by Tommy being a jerk. That was the point.

It's how he wasn't really punished for it. Compare him to Kevin the Sea Cucumber. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I honesty can't understand people being annoyed by Tommy being a jerk. That was the point.

Because there's ways to making characters likable jerks, but then there's making characters so unlikable, they're just bad. Take Bender from Futurama for instance, he's a likable jerk. He's rude, and selfish, but even he has moments where he realizes he hurt someone's feelings, and can go to great lengths to try and redeem himself. He also manages to give hilarious quotes and moments in the series.

The same can be said about Rick from Rick and Morty. He's a rude, and deranged alcoholic scientist who acts like everyone is an idiot, because they can't do what he can, but despite Rick's egotistical and cynical nature, he has moments that show how much he really cares about his family, especially during the heart breaking season 2 finale. No matter what trouble Rick causes, or how it seems like he doesn't care at times, he always has a way to either undo, or make do with any tragedy that occurs.

Now take Tommy Thunder. He's an egotistical liar, and a spotlight stealer, yet what redeeming qualities does he have for the audience? .... um... none. Even after Sonic lied to make Tommy look good at the end, it would have been nice to show Tommy thank Sonic in private, or something, or have Tommy man up, and confess the truth. Instead, he steals Sonic's thunder again, and falsely brags about his accomplishments, which never really happened, leaving poor Sonic uncredited for all he's done. I mean, wow... This character was so poorly executed. Even his voice was dull, it just sounded like a less incompetent version of Willy the Walrus!  

Tommy Thunder also felt similar to Swifty the Shrew, but Swifty was revealed to not be a character, but a robot mascot army built by Eggman. Finding out Swifty was never a character to begin with, and was all part of Eggman's latest scheme made the annoyance of Swifty less irritating.  In the end, Sonic destroyed all the Swifty robots. If the episode ended with Swifty turning out to be a real character that turned everyone against Sonic, that would have made the episode terrible, I almost hated the episode, until finding out Swifty was just a series of robot clones, it was an unexpected twist. Tommy Thunder was too predictable, and underwhelming. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

Because there's ways to making characters likable jerks, but then there's making characters so unlikable, they're just bad. Take Bender from Futurama for instance, he's a likable jerk. He's rude, and selfish, but even he has moments where he realizes he hurt someone's feelings, and can go to great lengths to try and redeem himself. He also manages to give hilarious quotes and moments in the series.

The same can be said about Rick from Rick and Morty. He's a rude, and deranged alcoholic scientist who acts like everyone is an idiot, because they can't do what he can, but despite Rick's egotistical and cynical nature, he has moments that show how much he really cares about his family, especially during the heart breaking season 2 finale. No matter what trouble Rick causes, or how it seems like he doesn't care at times, he always has a way to either undo, or make do with any tragedy that occurs.

Now take Tommy Thunder. He's an egotistical liar, and a spotlight stealer, yet what redeeming qualities does he have for the audience? .... um... none. Even after Sonic lied to make Tommy look good at the end, it would have been nice to show Tommy thank Sonic in private, or something, or have Tommy man up, and confess the truth. Instead, he steals Sonic's thunder again, and falsely brags about his accomplishments, which never really happened, leaving poor Sonic uncredited for all he's done. I mean, wow... This character was so poorly executed. Even his voice was dull, it just sounded like a less incompetent version of Willy the Walrus!  

Tommy Thunder also felt similar to Swifty the Shrew, but Swifty was revealed to not be a character, but a robot mascot army built by Eggman. Finding out Swifty was never a character to begin with, and was all part of Eggman's latest scheme made the annoyance of Swifty less irritating.  In the end, Sonic destroyed all the Swifty robots. If the episode ended with Swifty turning out to be a real character that turned everyone against Sonic, that would have made the episode terrible, I almost hated the episode, until finding out Swifty was just a series of robot clones, it was an unexpected twist. Tommy Thunder was too predictable, and underwhelming. 

Or alternatively, he could be punished for his actions (severely reprimanded by villagers, killed by a real villain, etc.) like how Kevin was.

He was "punished"; his ego was crushed when he had to beg Sonic for help. Sonic had the chance to crush him again in front of his fans, but there was no need to go that far and ruin it for the kids, so he didn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

He was "punished"; his ego was crushed when he had to beg Sonic for help. Sonic had the chance to crush him again in front of his fans, but there was no need to go that far and ruin it for the kids, so he didn't.

That still doesn't change the fact that Tommy is an ungrateful jerk, who couldn't even thank Sonic, or give Sonic the credit he deserved for saving his life... 

Moral of the story: some people are jerks. But sometimes it's better to just move on rather than obsess over them.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

That still doesn't change the fact that Tommy is an ungrateful jerk, who couldn't even thank Sonic, or give Sonic the credit he deserved for saving his life... 

So go ahead and explain what sonic should have done without him also coming across as just a slight jerkish or having an ego issue?

Exactly at what point were we meant to like that jerk though? He's a background character being used a plot device. If he was likeable, even as a jerk then there'd be no conflict, and no reason for the episode to exist. The huge difference is that Rick, and Bender are main characters in their retrospective series, and are allowed to grow more as characters. They're third-dimensional characters with emotions, and personality. Tommy Thunder isn't meant to be that, and that's fine. He's a simple background character and he needs to be the main conflict of the episode. There's no reason for Sonic to stupidity obsess over payback when he already did it once. If you want a real example, think of the episode of The Simpsons where Springfield's founder was revealed to be a pirate, and one of the worst people in history. Lisa was all but ready to expose him for the fraud he was until she saw the goodness he did manage to inspire in the citizens of Springfield through that lie. It could be the same case here with Sonic in which he hates Tommy Thunder, but likes what he's inspired into his fans.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Exactly at what point were we meant to like that jerk though? He's a background character being used a plot device. If he was likeable, even as a jerk then there'd be no conflict, and no reason for the episode to exist. The huge difference is that Rick, and Bender are main characters in their retrospective series, and are allowed to grow more as characters. They're third-dimensional characters with emotions, and personality. Tommy Thunder isn't meant to be that, and that's fine. He's a simple background character and he needs to be the main conflict of the episode. There's no reason for Sonic to stupidity obsess over payback when he already did it once. If you want a real example, think of the episode of The Simpsons where Springfield's founder was revealed to be a pirate, and one of the worst people in history. Lisa was all but ready to expose him for the fraud he was until she saw the goodness he did manage to inspire in the citizens of Springfield through that lie. It could be the same case here with Sonic in which he hates Tommy Thunder, but likes what he's inspired into his fans.

It has been shown the people weren't really that inspired by him; they are still cowards. Ergo, he should be punished. 

Just now, Memento Miru said:

It has been shown the people weren't really that inspired by him; they are still cowards. Ergo, he should be punished. 

You do realize that when an egotistical jerk is forced to beg for his life, and therefore his ego is completely destroyed, that it's a big punishment? Keep in mind if you're that desperate for payback, he now has to keep the knowledge that Sonic can out him at any moment if he chooses.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Memento Miru said:

So because the average person wasn't willing to duke it out in the streets against Eggman's mechs, we should label them uninspired cowards?

uninspired =/= suicidal.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Except Tommy didn't show any redeeming qualities for him to get false praise for Sonic's act of heroism.  

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

You do realize that when an egotistical jerk is forced to beg for his life, and therefore his ego is completely destroyed, that it's a big punishment? Keep in mind if you're that desperate for payback, he now has to keep the knowledge that Sonic can out him at any moment if he chooses.

Except Tommy already knew Sonic was better than him, which is why he was pestering to follow Sonic around, and observe Sonic's heroics for his acting, yet he let his ego get the better of him, and fooled the dumb villagers into thinking he stopped those bandits. 

That's one of this episode's biggest flaws.   Early on in the episode, Tommy flat out confessed he's no real hero, and is just a devilishly handsome actor. Yet the whole episode tries making it look like he's hiding something, despite the villagers already knowing he's just an actor. The plot was very weak, and highly predictable.

10 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Early on in the episode, Tommy flat out confessed he's no real hero, and is just a devilishly handsome actor.

Err, objectionably speaking, you're forgetting that he later uses Sonic's heroic example to claim that he's learned how to be a "real hero".

His first confession was to feint a sense of humbleness and honesty, part of what can make for a hero's profile, then after shadowing Sonic, uses that to add apparent credibility to his actual facade that shows up later on in the episode.

So I'm hoping everyone has some hope for Season 2 with its premiere, well terrible news everyone.

Looks like there won't be a new Boomisode for atleast 2 weeks.

CwHbv-1W8AA3arV.jpgCwHc4bMWAAAgBCH.jpg

Screens were grabbed by @TCB's twin bro.....

Now excuse me while I'll cry myself to sleep.

Ah,  so CN are giving it the Steven Universe treatment now with the hiatuses I see.