Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Oh, sure, sure. Give us just the littlest taste of season 2 and expect us to be okay with just that for at least two weeks.

I don't like CN's mistreatment of Boom. Not one bit. What makes it worse is that the other two third-party programs they have on Saturday mornings are still airing new episodes!

I said it before, and I'll say it again: something needs to be done about this. I'm tired of seeing one of my favorite shows in recent years being continually thrown under the bus.

...Unless this is just placeholder stuff, in which case I'll have ranted for nothing.

• Thumbs Up 2

5dnkTce.jpg

Well, this is annoying.

Seriously, the way this show has been treated is frustrating. I hope the schedule is just a mistake or something but knowing CN it wouldn't surprise me. It comes off like CN is actively trying to kill the show-- putting a show in the dead hours of the morning and messing around with the schedule are actually two common tactics networks employ when they want a show to die.

Please Sega, put Boom on Hulu or Netflix next season (if there is a next season). I will seriously buy a subscription to those websites if you do this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ok, I was just told that schedule for the 12th is just a placeholder. It might change over time but yeah, still kinda sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, no wait what? Seriously, this is just unacceptable. I don't care if I'm not even that into Boom, this is just disgusting treatment, and it makes me increadibly bitter seeing people be absolutely horrid dickheads to a series that was making an honest attempt to improve and become better.  

This is pissing me off so much. Sonic Boom F&I was thrown under the bus even though it was an honest attempt at an improvement, and now Sonic Boom season 2 is getting similarly bad treatment? This really needs to stop. 

Seriously, do these people even care about quality and morals? Do they not see how much of a horrible jerk they are being? Honestly, fuck them. 

• Thumbs Up 7

WTF, the episode was at 6AM? And no advertisment for it!?

I really, really do hate Cartoon Network man, I had no damn warning.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was watching the short stream from the Sonic Social Media Team today. When Webber was asked about season 2, he responded that he doesn't know exactly when it'll air on television. Soo... is Sega not aware that Cartoon Network aired Season 2 already? :/ Or am thinking too much into this?

Its possible that CN isn't keeping Sega informed on the schedule. Possibly because Sega simply never asked (Sega has never been too involved with the show-- it always focused more on the games and comics), but also could be because CN doesn't want Sega to know for whatever reason.

That is absolutely pathetic. As if the 6AM time slot wasn't bad enough. We were lucky to even get a Sonic Boom season 2, but with how CN is treating this show, season 3 may not even happen, which is sad because I love this series. As people have said earlier, this show needs to be switched to Netflix. We would be able to watch the new episodes at any time and it's easier to tell how the show is doing with the ratings. This is ridiculous and somethings NEEDS to be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm mostly wondering what the heck is going on at CN. It seems to be particularly hostile towards shows that have action elements in them. I think it would be interesting to hear what goes on with CN's decision-making-- though I doubt CN wants us to know what goes on behind closed doors!

BTW, I found some ratings for the premiere. According to ShowBuzzDaily, Sonic Boom ranked 43 in the Top 50 Original Cable Programs list at about 566,000 household viewers according to Nielsen. It performed best with the Male 12-34 demographic at 0.26, followed by the Female 12-34 and the People 12-34 demographic, both at 0.24-- this apparently makes the household viewership "average" according to the color-coding. http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-10-29-2016.html

This can seem very concerning at first. Sonic Boom usually performs well over the 1,000,000 mark according to Season 1's ratings-- and its usually expected that a season premiere gets more viewers than usual, so the 566,000 numbers looks incredibly lacking. On the other hand, the date of the premiere went basically unadvertised, an issue compounded by it being exclusively placed at ridiculous o'clock on a Saturday morning, making viewers extremely unlikely to stumble across it while flipping through channels. Plus, there was a huge college football game last Saturday as well as a baseball World Series game that got the highest amount of viewers since 2013 (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-oct-29-2016/, http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-october-29-2016/). As we all know, big sports games tend to make Sonic Boom's ratings temporarily plummet. So while we do have cause to be a little worried, its possible that the lower ratings have less to do with decreasing interest and more due to fans not being aware that the show's second season has premiered or resting up for sports. Now that all the fans know that the show is on, they'll probably come and watch (though CN's inexplicable hiatus may put a damper on that as fans won't be able to predict when the next episode will air). And hopefully the next episode won't be on or around game day.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

That is absolutely pathetic. As if the 6AM time slot wasn't bad enough. We were lucky to even get a Sonic Boom season 2, but with how CN is treating this show, season 3 may not even happen, which is sad because I love this series. As people have said earlier, this show needs to be switched to Netflix. We would be able to watch the new episodes at any time and it's easier to tell how the show is doing with the ratings. This is ridiculous and somethings NEEDS to be done.

The only way we can get ANYTHING done about this is if there's a petition or a campaign. In fact, how about someone start one. Nothing's going to be done about this otherwise, it seems.

Petitions never work and they never will.

I mean, even Aaron Webber wasn't aware that Season 2 premiered last Saturday during someone asked him that on a stream yesterday. If the Brand Manager of Sonic isn't even aware of that, that just shows how terrible CN has been marketing this show.

It's aggravating because it's a good show and I want to see it do well especially since I want to Boom series to keep going.

But honestly, if this fuckery still keeps going through the season's run. I doubt Season 3 will ever come...... 

Also it's depressing to know that the Season 2 premiere is the lowest viewed episode in the series' run so far. I can't even...

• Thumbs Up 5

I agree that this is super aggravating. Sonic Boom is such a good show yet people miss out because of incompetent advertising and scheduling problems-- which apparently Sega itself has no control or awareness of, so its all on CN's incompetant self to do it. Its not like CN lacks the time either. Surely it could afford to leave off one or two Teen Titans Go! episodes to air a few Boomisodes.

If I had a legal way of getting my hands on some episode downloads, I would honestly go, make some fan-made ads myself, and upload them. I mean, they can't be worse than Sega and CN's efforts, right?

Fans could also try a letter writing campaign to CN and/or Sega. Those don't work often but they do tend to get noticed by executives, who tend to value a written letter more than an online petition as the latter costs some money and takes some effort to do. Though I'd trust Sega more than CN about this-- I know that Sega is really, really good about actually reading and responding to fan letters, but CN I'm not so sure about and I know that some companies just throw out fanmail, pocket any money sent, discard any gifts sent, and/or don't even bother to read it before sending a premade response to the post office.

On 10/31/2016 at 10:12 PM, Kiah said:

Again, I thought this was a good episode although it definitely could of been better. The plot was nothing to write home about and Tommy Thunder fit right in with the rest of the townspeople overall being annoying as well as a jerk but I did get some laughs out of the episode, and I got my character interaction and good characterization (from Sonic) which are my main draws to Sonic Boom in the first place so I'm happy :)

Although I wasn't too fond of this episode, I will say I did like the characterizations in this episode. Sonic's ego wasn't as exaggerated in this episode. I liked how Sonic's friends and the villagers weren't treating Sonic like trash, because some cool guy showed up, like in Green with Envy.

Sonic's friends only showed annoyance towards Sonic 1 time during this episode, but it was truly understandable, since Sonic bragged about "Team Sonic" instead of just saying team, and giving his friends proper credit. They got over it quickly though.  

I liked how Sticks was random, but not too random.

Out of all the character portrayals, I was mostly happy with Amy's. While she was once again charmed by another man in town, despite loving Sonic, it was handled more in a way where she just admired him for his looks, but nothing more. That's a very common trait many girls have, I've had sisters and cousins who have boyfriends or husbands, yet still get charmed by some handsome actor. It just showed Amy gazing at Tommy, instead of having her talk about wanting to be his girlfriend, like she did with Swifty. I also liked how Amy wasn't naggy or grouchy in this episode, I absolutely hate it when episodes portray Amy as a whiny nag. I like seeing Amy having fun with her friends, not bossing her friends around, or have her friends constantly neglect her or moan at her.

She didn't chew Sonic out for having a different opinion of Tommy, she seemed to actually understand why Sonic wasn't too fond of him, and she didn't try changing Sonic's opinion of him. I also loved how she tried telling Sonic to give Tommy a chance to show him how to be a hero. She didn't get angry with Sonic for being stubborn, and the way she tried bluffing over the request being her idea, and not a desperate plea from Tommy was kind of funny. She also made a good point as to why Sonic should help Tommy, by pointing out that this is his chance to make Tommy's heroic acting more realistic. I want to see more of this version of Amy in future episodes. I like seeing her as a fun, cheerful, and quirky kind of character that brings the best out of everyone, instead of their worst. 

Some people complained about how Tails was in this episode, but I saw nothing to get offended over. When Tails said "it means a  lot less coming from you", when Sonic told Tails that he's a hero, I didn't take it as Tails intending to sound rude or cynical, I saw it more as Tails being so used to being called a sidekick, instead of a hero, and since Tails is Sonic's sidekick, having Sonic call Tails a hero isn't as flattering as having a celebrity say it. It's just like when a kid wants someone to say they care for them, only to have the kid's parents say "but we love you", kids already know their parents love them, which makes it less exciting to hear it coming from the ones they already know who love them.

I also loved how Tails got briefly offended by Sonic's criticism of being annoyed by being followed around. It was a funny jab at Sonic 2, since there are stories of gamers that dislike Tails, because they felt like he got in the way in Sonic 2 and 3. Tails also quickly dropped the attitude when he realized Sonic wasn't referring to him, so why were people mad at Tails for a small misunderstanding that got quickly resolved? 

In conclusion, what this episode lacked in storytelling, it actually made up for incharacter interactions, and didn't derail the characters too far from their comfort zone. It felt like natural interactions Sonic and his friends would have. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/2/2016 at 5:11 AM, SpongicX said:

Although I wasn't too fond of this episode, I will say I did like the characterizations in this episode. Sonic's ego wasn't as exaggerated in this episode. I liked how Sonic's friends and the villagers weren't treating Sonic like trash, because some cool guy showed up, like in Green with Envy.

Sonic's friends only showed annoyance towards Sonic 1 time during this episode, but it was truly understandable, since Sonic bragged about "Team Sonic" instead of just saying team, and giving his friends proper credit. They got over it quickly though.  

I liked how Sticks was random, but not too random.

Out of all the character portrayals, I was mostly happy with Amy's. While she was once again charmed by another man in town, despite loving Sonic, it was handled more in a way where she just admired him for his looks, but nothing more. That's a very common trait many girls have, I've had sisters and cousins who have boyfriends or husbands, yet still get charmed by some handsome actor. It just showed Amy gazing at Tommy, instead of having her talk about wanting to be his girlfriend, like she did with Swifty. I also liked how Amy wasn't naggy or grouchy in this episode, I absolutely hate it when episodes portray Amy as a whiny nag. I like seeing Amy having fun with her friends, not bossing her friends around, or have her friends constantly neglect her or moan at her.

She didn't chew Sonic out for having a different opinion of Tommy, she seemed to actually understand why Sonic wasn't too fond of him, and she didn't try changing Sonic's opinion of him. I also loved how she tried telling Sonic to give Tommy a chance to show him how to be a hero. She didn't get angry with Sonic for being stubborn, and the way she tried bluffing over the request being her idea, and not a desperate plea from Tommy was kind of funny. She also made a good point as to why Sonic should help Tommy, by pointing out that this is his chance to make Tommy's heroic acting more realistic. I want to see more of this version of Amy in future episodes. I like seeing her as a fun, cheerful, and quirky kind of character that brings the best out of everyone, instead of their worst. 

Some people complained about how Tails was in this episode, but I saw nothing to get offended over. When Tails said "it means a  lot less coming from you", when Sonic told Tails that he's a hero, I didn't take it as Tails intending to sound rude or cynical, I saw it more as Tails being so used to being called a sidekick, instead of a hero, and since Tails is Sonic's sidekick, having Sonic call Tails a hero isn't as flattering as having a celebrity say it. It's just like when a kid wants someone to say they care for them, only to have the kid's parents say "but we love you", kids already know their parents love them, which makes it less exciting to hear it coming from the ones they already know who love them.

I also loved how Tails got briefly offended by Sonic's criticism of being annoyed by being followed around. It was a funny jab at Sonic 2, since there are stories of gamers that dislike Tails, because they felt like he got in the way in Sonic 2 and 3. Tails also quickly dropped the attitude when he realized Sonic wasn't referring to him, so why were people mad at Tails for a small misunderstanding that got quickly resolved? 

In conclusion, what this episode lacked in storytelling, it actually made up for incharacter interactions, and didn't derail the characters too far from their comfort zone. It felt like natural interactions Sonic and his friends would have. 

Indeed. My favorite episode with Amy as the main lead would have to be Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, as she wasn't unneccesarily rude like in Closed Door Policy or Fire in the Crowded Workshop. She was nice to Eggman despite being enemies and it was nice to see her more quirky side like how she was in the premiere of Season 1, Designated Heroes is also another example of Amy being nice and not being rude without a reason. She gave Sonic a good reason to look after Tommy when she could've just told him that he was being stuck up and jealous.

I agree on what you said about Tails too. That was a great analogy. I do feel that this wasn't really a great premiere like Season 1 was, but it does a good job at showing the personalities characters. I just wish they went into more depth as this seems like an episode that would play later on in the series. For example, Eggman's "Why do all my social interactions end like this?" Is pretty funny, but most wouldn't get that since this is only the first episode of the Season and we haven't really gotten that much of a glimpse of Eggman yet. Hopefully this Season won't have as many out of place moments for characters like Season 1 did. Amy being the primary contender of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, god. Cartoon Network must really hate this show to air the next episode a month later. This show is definitely not gonna last long if it keeps getting treated this way. They really should move this show to Netflix.

• Thumbs Up 6

DECEMBER ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

ONE EPISODE AND ALREADY A MONTH HIATUS?!

WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?!

eh, well. Can't do anything about it, I guess. :/

• Thumbs Up 4

0b2e2826ae5aff27e877056d2705fe0da46bc133

Keep in mind that the last episode aired last saturday, so it's actually closer to a five week hiatus.

Just fuck off CN.

• Thumbs Up 8

I know we're beating a dead horse at this point but what's the point of them keeping a show that they've treated like garbage since day one? I would understand if it wasn't doing well ratings wise but the first season has proven that it does really well ratings wise. Pokemon is also suffering the same problem too since there was a time during the Gen 4 and 5 days where they would promote the show all the time now it's been treated like crap and has Boom's original timeslot. 

• Thumbs Up 9