Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

I wish I knew what was going on in CN's offices. Actually I do wonder how CN's other shows-- especially its beloved Teen Titans Go!-- are doing as they don't often appear on Top 50 Original Cable lists like Boom and obviously places like TSSZ wouldn't keep track of them. If CN saw that Boom Season 1 was actually managing to do better than some of the shows it likes and advertises despite its best efforts, it could possibly be retaliating by upping the ante-- making the timeslot worse, not advertising Boom at all, and giving Boom pointless hiatuses. 

But yeah, I do wonder why CN decides to keep Boom if it clearly hates the show so much. With Season 1, I kind of got it because CN and Sega likely made the agreement to air the show before the show had finished, meaning that its possible that CN simply got the wrong impression about what the show was all about. For example, CN might have thought that Boom was going to be a pure comedy a la Teen Titans Go! only to find that it was more of a sitcom/action show when they actually got to look at the episodes. Deciding that something like that isn't fitting for its lineup but being locked into a contract, it decided to try to bury to show. But CN should know by Season 2 exactly what its getting into with Boom and its contract surely must've been up for renewal before Season 2-- which makes it keeping Boom utterly inexplicable.

The month long hiatus is detrimental and on top of no advertising, will damage the show's viewership numbers. I assume that CN won't be airing any reruns until the hiatus is done too... But I suppose I'll do what I can to keep discussion of the show alive and people aware of it in the meantime. I really, really hope that after December 3rd, we'll go back to weekly Boomisodes. I don't want to have to wait a whole month before seeing each episode!

• Thumbs Up 8

Don't some shows air the first episode of a show a month before the actual premiere, or is that only for pilots?

Either way, really weird decision here. Wonder why they did that.

I remember how last year, I said CN was treating Sonic Boom horribly, yet everyone thought I was crazy, or was overreacting. It's nice to see I'm not alone anymore on noticing how awful CN has gotten. 

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I remember how last year, I said CN was treating Sonic Boom horribly, yet everyone thought I was crazy, or was overreacting. It's nice to see I'm not alone anymore on noticing how awful CN has gotten. 

Um, no? People's been calling out the shit treatment that CN's been giving the show since the pilot episode. Literally the only time people didn't do it was the one time CN treated it with a bit of respect for one week and had new episodes every day for a week and in decent time slots.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Um, no? People's been calling out the shit treatment that CN's been giving the show since the pilot episode. Literally the only time people didn't do it was the one time CN treated it with a bit of respect for one week and had new episodes every day for a week and in decent time slots.

What are you talking about? I remember sharing my disappointment for how CN treated this show for the past 2 years on this website's forums, and anyone that responded to my posts told me either "it's no big deal", "quit whining", or "that's how all shows are treated". In fact, you were one of the people who kept bugging me the most on these criticisms. You even seemed to be defending Cartoon Network at times, yet now you're claiming you and others have been calling out this bad treatment? Those posts are long gone though, since the website's forums were mostly wiped out last year, which erased the original forum for Sonic Boom Season 1.  

I'm not saying no one disliked how CN treated it in the past, but I do know I was like the only person who kept bringing this up as a concern, and most of you treated me poorly in response. I even gave evidence to support how the show was being mistreated in the United States, yet some of you were still in denial, and thought I was making stuff up.  Now I know how Sticks the Badger feels, trying to warn people about something, only to have people think you're crazy in the process... 

Also, that time CN aired all those episodes for 2 weeks was not very exciting, since all but 1 of those episodes were already released in France months in advance, so many of the viewers already knew what to expect in the episodes airing on CN. They still did a poor job advertising the episodes, and after that, they went back to neglecting the Hell out of it. Eventually, France aired a bunch of the last episodes all within a few days apart, and these weren't just one 11 minute short, no, they aired multiple episode pairings, to the point where they were finished with season 1. Meanwhile, CN kept taking hiatuses, kept airing only one 11 minute new episode a week, and by the time the season finale aired, it was already more than 3 months ago since France aired the last one. 

Now some of you might argue that US was due to get it later, because the show's studio was made in France, but that's not the case. While the studio is in France, the show is not made directly for French television first. It is a cooperative development between French and American companies that can't finish the show without the other. It has been confirmed that the English dub is recorded first hand, followed by the French dub. Therefor, you'd think the English version would come out first, and not the French version. They should both release around the same time, instead of having France rush them out to release, while America slacks off with the airings. Also, hasn't anyone forgotten that America got the world premiere of the show first, along with the 2nd season's premiere? How can a show that premieres in one region first, possibly fall so far behind with a number of weeks or months?! The North American handling of this show is disgraceful, this show is made for Western Audiences, which makes the unbalanced releases between North America and France to be poorly ridiculous and unfair. I just wish the episodes would get a fairly even release between America and France.

16 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Don't some shows air the first episode of a show a month before the actual premiere, or is that only for pilots?

Either way, really weird decision here. Wonder why they did that.

Usually that only happens for Pilots.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, SpongicX said:

What are you talking about? I remember sharing my disappointment for how CN treated this show for the past 2 years on this website's forums, and anyone that responded to my posts told me either "it's no big deal", "quit whining", or "that's how all shows are treated". In fact, you were one of the people who kept bugging me the most on these criticisms. You even seemed to be defending Cartoon Network at times, yet now you're claiming you and others have been calling out this bad treatment? Those posts are long gone though, since the website's forums were mostly wiped out last year, which erased the original forum for Sonic Boom Season 1.  

I'm not saying no one disliked how CN treated it in the past, but I do know I was like the only person who kept bringing this up as a concern, and most of you treated me poorly in response. I even gave evidence to support how the show was being mistreated in the United States, yet some of you were still in denial, and thought I was making stuff up.  Now I know how Sticks the Badger feels, trying to warn people about something, only to have people think you're crazy in the process... 

Oh, really? Odd considering I've made my hatred for CN quite clear because of all of their bullshit practices, so It's odd I somehow suddenly jumped to defending them despite not remembering doing so, and not having any motivation to do so, and until you bring up some posts that showed me out and out defending CN's bullshit on the show (Not Boomerang UK's treatment, in which I praised because that was actually properly done well) but CN US itself, then I see no reason to believe it. The only thing you say there that might have any credibility is "that's how all shows are treated", because I said that...in a completely different and negative context, in which I said that CN UK's treatment of shows when it comes to new episodes and shows is fucking terrible because all of them tend to take between six months to a year to finally come to the UK. Any other times was completely unrelated to CN as a whole, and more about Boom. For example, I said that dropping ratings for Boom could be excused during Don't Judge Me because of a US Time Zone change. That's not defending CN US, or it's treatment of Boom. That's pointing out that dropped ratings can be affected by that.

What I do remember is you complaining a ton of times about the same thing, I.E: Every character acts like spiteful jerks, and then everyone argued that point like they did during this episode, in this very thread. No one was in denial about the show being mistreated, and that was being said from the very start, from people being disgruntled about needing to wake up at 6am in the morning to see the show, to full on rants about it that's now gone thanks to the SSMB server wipe. So either you're misremembering things, or you're exaggerating, because I also know that no one would mistreat anyone else for simply stating a show is being treated badly, and I know for a fact that people were calling out the constant hiatuses, and the shit treatment, lack of word of mouth, and the terrible schedule from the first episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh, really? Odd considering I've made my hatred for CN quite clear because of all of their bullshit practices, so It's odd I somehow suddenly jumped to defending them despite not remembering doing so, and not having any motivation to do so, and until you bring up some posts that showed me out and out defending CN's bullshit on the show (Not Boomerang UK's treatment, in which I praised because that was actually properly done well) but CN US itself, then I see no reason to believe it. The only thing you say there that might have any credibility is "that's how all shows are treated", because I said that...in a completely different and negative context, in which I said that CN UK's treatment of shows when it comes to new episodes and shows is fucking terrible because all of them tend to take between six months to a year to finally come to the UK. Any other times was completely unrelated to CN as a whole, and more about Boom. For example, I said that dropping ratings for Boom could be excused during Don't Judge Me because of a US Time Zone change. That's not defending CN US, or it's treatment of Boom. That's pointing out that dropped ratings can be affected by that.

What I do remember is you complaining a ton of times about the same thing, I.E: Every character acts like spiteful jerks, and then everyone argued that point like they did during this episode, in this very thread. No one was in denial about the show being mistreated, and that was being said from the very start, from people being disgruntled about needing to wake up at 6am in the morning to see the show, to full on rants about it that's now gone thanks to the SSMB server wipe. So either you're misremembering things, or you're exaggerating, because I also know that no one would mistreat anyone else for simply stating a show is being treated badly, and I know for a fact that people were calling out the constant hiatuses, and the shit treatment, lack of word of mouth, and the terrible schedule from the first episode.

If you hate CN so much, then why are you constantly starting arguments with me over the subject? I don't see why you're trying so hard to make me look bad. Maybe others did complain about the issues, yet I don't recall, I mostly remember people sharing their opinions on the show's episodes, or speculating what was yet to come.

If you can't have anything nice to say about my posts, then please just ignore them, instead of constantly talking down to me. I don't post to start arguments, I post to speak up for myself, and  for others that feel the same way, yet I constantly get harrassed for having an opinion. You don't see me commenting sour responses to all the posts you make, so why can't you just do the same?

You and I both dislike Cartoon Network for similar reasons, so why are we constantly bickering? We should put our differences aside and be respectful towards our beliefs, or just ignore each other.

How about you stop trying to pull the victim card like I'm harassing you or something. You made a post making it sound like you were the only one aware of this shit that CN was doing, and that people gave you shit for speaking against them, and I made a post talking about how that's not true, and many others were doing it from the beginning because CN deserved it. You then claimed that I defended CN after you supposedly called them out, and yet I'm not supposed to refute that point that's very clearly wrong? Like what do you want?

And seeing as this is a message board, I have the fair right to challenge your posts, seeing as this is a discussion board. It's not a board where we have to go by "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all", which for the record doesn't even apply here because I haven't insulted you, or anything. I simply challenged what you said, something that's very fair game here.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

How about you stop trying to pull the victim card like I'm harassing you or something. You made a post making it sound like you were the only one aware of this shit that CN was doing, and that people gave you shit for speaking against them, and I made a post talking about how that's not true, and many others were doing it from the beginning because CN deserved it. You then claimed that I defended CN after you supposedly called them out, and yet I'm not supposed to refute that point that's very clearly wrong? Like what do you want?

And seeing as this is a message board, I have the fair right to challenge your posts, seeing as this is a discussion board. It's not a board where we have to go by "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all", which for the record doesn't even apply here because I haven't insulted you, or anything. I simply challenged what you said, something that's very fair game here.

My God! This is exactly what I'm talking about. I even tried making amends with you, yet you still want to be a jerk towards me... I don't see you trashing anyone else who speaks against CN, so why are you always pestering me?! Just stop it, ok?! The last I checked, this was a post about discussing Sonic Boom Season 2, not a thread about whining about every hint of criticism I give, geesh! 

4 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

My God! This is exactly what I'm talking about. I even tried making amends with you, yet you still want to be a jerk towards me... I don't see you trashing anyone else who speaks against CN, so why are you always pestering me?! Just stop it, ok?! The last I checked, this was a post about discussing Sonic Boom Season 2, not a thread about whining about every hint of criticism I give, geesh! 

How about stop taking every single thing I say and try twisting it into an insult against you. I pointed out that you weren't alone in what you said last year. I challenged the fact you tried to claim I defended CN, and that's it. Surprisingly, I don't go into topics picking random fights with members for no reason. I made a post simply stating that what you said was incorrect because plenty of people complained about it. You're the one who's now trying to take it up to extremes and trying to take it as a personal attack on your posts alone. For the record, if anyone else had come in here and claimed that "you all liked what CN did last year, while I was the one lone wolf who didn't and turned out correct", then I'd call them out for similar reasons because said statement is wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to ask you both to cool it. You can continue to discuss CN's treatment of the show all you want (lol five-week hiatus following a season premiere--GG, CN), but let's not butt heads on who's said what in the past.

Ugh, Cartoon Network. Stahp.

I'd say more, but I'll put those remarks on hiatus instead.

TAKE THAT, CARTOON NETWORK. YOU SCRUBS.

• Thumbs Up 5

does it being on hiatus, have something to do with the current president or who's ever in charge of the company? the last person in charge of CNN. wanted to change the direction of the network to live-action in the mid-00s.

52 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

does it being on hiatus, have something to do with the current president or who's ever in charge of the company? the last person in charge of CNN. wanted to change the direction of the network to live-action in the mid-00s.

Its very likely that he was involved. Its a common case with shows that don't necessarily appeal to the target demographic or desired genre of the channel-- in CN's case, what it wants is a channel exclusively filled with pure comedies akin to Teen Titans Go! or The Amazing World of Gumball that only appeal to young boys. The pure comedy approach isn't necessarily bad (Yes, TTG sucks, but Gumball is actually really good), but its ultimately very limiting to a channel's potential. Meanwhile, wanting to excise girls from your audience comes from the misconception that girls don't buy toys unless they're pink pandering crap-- even though what that really is saying that you want half of your audience to stop supporting your company and giving you money on the basis of gender stereotypes (and also implying that the show's merch is more important than the actual show, but that's the smallest offense here). Its not cool and bad business sense.

Unfortunately for Boom, its a different kind of comedy from TTG or Gumball, being a lot more laid back than those shows and avoiding grossout jokes (which are practically the standard for most modern kids comedies). It also puts a greater emphasis on action than either of those shows, and if Season 2 is any indication, there's going to be more and better action in the coming episodes. While CN is more than happy to screw over comedies that don't fit its desired niche, its treatment of those shows are tame compared to how CN has been screwing action cartoons in recent years (as we saw with fiasco involving Young Justice, as well as CN's current treatment of Transformer's Animated). And Boom is both. On top of that, it seems to primarily appeal to women, with women giving the show the highest ratings on IMDB and demographics data from Nielsen showing a consistently strong female audience-- and CN, for the stupid sexist reason I stated in the previous paragraph, does not like the idea of having a sizable female audience on its channel. 

But at the same time, it takes more than the president to make these types of decisions. I blame the entire executive staff for this. They may have wised up enough to know not to air live action on the Cartoon Network anymore, but they're still incompetent in a lot of ways. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay wait a minute, hold your horses everyone. There's been a change in schedule?

According to Zap2it, The Space episode is not coming in December, but on November 19th. And there's a new episode coming in December 3rd called Nutwork. No idea what it's about tho. 

Although weird that the 3rd episode is coming in December instead of November 26th. Something freaking tells me that they're gonna air episodes on alternate Saturdays instead of every Saturday.

Source: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/sonic-boom/episode-guide/EP02040281?aid=tvschedule

...Well, it's an improvement, at any rate. I needed that this week.

Now all we need is for CN to PROMOTE THE THING, then we'll be golden.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA just announced that season 2 will officially premiere on Boomerang this Saturday at 6 pm ET. Looks like the new episodes will replay on Cartoon Network on the Fridays after. Press release:

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Team Sonic is speeding back to kick more bot! The eagerly-anticipated second season of the animated series Sonic Boom™, starring the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog™, will premiere on Boomerang Saturday, November 12th at 6 p.m. ET.

Sonic Boom season two (52 x 11-minute episodes) is high-powered and hilarious! Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks take on bizarre cases of mistaken identity, androids from an outlandish land, real live urban legends, a haunted lair, familiar faces (Shadow and more characters from the Sonic game universe), plus epic conflicts with powerful, new foes! Potent crystals, mercurial mecha, slick scuba gear, stylin' space suits, sharp snow supplies, custom cars, total team spirit, and of course, constant clashes with the offensive Dr. Eggman and his compelling creations fill the coffers of Sonic Boom season two.

Renewal of the hit CG animated TV series continues the momentum of Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th anniversary year.  SEGA recently released Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice exclusively for the 3DS Nintendo family of systems.  This title stars the Sonic Boom TV series cast, and like the show, Fire & Ice delivers Sonic's best attributes -- speed and humor -- to fans in a collaborative, single-player experience. Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice features bonus content that unlocks concept art from season two. Rated 'E for Everyone,' Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is available for purchase online and at retail stores.  

"Sonic was created as a larger than life, speedy hedgehog bursting with attitude," said Ivo Gerscovich, SEGA's Chief Brand Officer and Head of Sonic Pillar.  "While he's predominantly a videogame character, we felt he would transition well into the world of TV animation and film. We've been proud of the success of the first season of the show and look forward to a second season of laughs and exciting new adventures."

The announcement for Sonic Boom season two was one of several highlights from the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party in San Diego on July 22nd at the House of Blues. Season one premiered on Cartoon Network and currently airs on Boomerang.  Viewers also are able to stream season one on Hulu. With the second season launch on Boomerang, fans will have even more opportunities to watch their favorite, show-stopping Blue Blur.

Sandrine Nguyen, Executive Producer for Technicolor Animation Productions added, "We are thrilled with the success of Sonic Boom. We've now sold in over 100 countries around the world. With the start of season two, fans can expect more adventure, more humor, and we can't wait to see the fan reaction."

The Boomerang premieres will replay on Cartoon Network starting Nov. 19. Check your local listings for specific airtimes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/season-two-of-segas-animated-tv-series-sonic-boom-premieres-on-boomerang-this-november-300360653.html

Well, at least the show is getting a better premiere time. I'm thankful for that. And they're still airing it on Cartoon Network, so this is fine.

Also, I knew Shadow would be back; not only was the season 1 finale well-received, but you can't just expect the guy to appear only once in the series, given his popularity. Same goes for Metal Sonic, hopefully. I can't wait to see what other game characters appear. Anyway, it sounds like we're in for a wild ride indeed.

Hopefully, they actually promote it this time...

So Shadow and Metal are back, hopefully in more fulfilling roles this season. 

But oh boi, I'm a bit on the fence on how they're going to incorporate other characters in the Boom universe but if they can pull it off fine, I'll shut up about it.