Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

When the trailer mentioned help, I did hope it was going to mean you could play as the others again, but ehh...if they're saying it's not a sequel to Generations and is a 'whole new experience', maybe there's a chance we'll get to play as the others too.

It'd be pretty fun if it meant there was going to be 3D and 2D sections depending on which Sonic you played as, but maybe we can get to play as the other characters too? I just want variety, man, not the same old 'GOTTA GO FAST' mentality the press has people believing that's what the most important element in Sonic is.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, count me in on the Sonic 2017 hype!

Like sure, Classic Sonic didn't need to be there but hey, I think it's important for the Modern Sonic games to gradually work its way up, baby steps. I mean, it seems like almost everyone here is more than happy to see a more tense and action-packed Sonic game for once (seriously, that trailer just gave me Attack on Titan vibes and I don't even watch that anime lol) though I will argue that Lost World had snippets of that (it was there, I mean one of the first cutscenes we've seen of the game was an action scene). But yeah, based on this opening, I assume, I'm getting some serious Unleashed vibes and those are some damn good vibes! I mean, I would be midly disappointed if the Boost comes back since I found either Sonic's gameplay in the Adventures or the Parkour to be vastly more interesting gameplay styles. But hey, stick to what works I guess? I guess, you can't really say a whole lot based on a CG trailer and since the game won't come out until the holidays next year, I doubt we'll be getting any gameplay anytime soon. Maybe at SoS but who knows?

Also the implication that Eggman finally won and Sonic has to make a resistance with his Classic self to fight Eggman sounds super dope! And it also gives another implication that it might not be just a Sonic-only adventure this time, hopefully. Again, we still don't know a whole lot.

All I can say, I'm down for it and while I can see why people are disappointed about some aspects of it but I can't say it was not unexpected. So yeah, really curious to see how Sonic Resistance turns out (yes, I'll be calling this game that from now on) and hope it tops Unleashed for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Do we know if this footage was prerendered? It looks kind of like it could actually be using the in-game engine. I'd say that bodes well for the game, but I also think this was an oddly dark teaser.

Could we be getting a Sonic CD-esque game with Good/Bad futures for stages?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Kabalni said:

All I can say, I'm down for it and while I can see why people are disappointed about some aspects of it but I can't say it was not unexpected. So yeah, really curious to see how Sonic Resistance turns out (yes, I'll be calling this game that from now on) and hope it tops Unleashed for me.

Are you the same guy on Reddit who keeps saying he's calling it 'Sonic Resistance from now on' too? Cause I saw that same comment in both the PS4 and Games thread for the game.

5 minutes ago, Mogtaki said:

Are you the same guy on Reddit who keeps saying he's calling it 'Sonic Resistance from now on' too? Cause I saw that same comment in both the PS4 and Games thread for the game.

Nope, don't have a Reddit account if I did, it would've been obvious it would be me since I'll probably spam a lot of Tamil cinema stuff like I always do. But hey, cool to know that I'm not the only ho thought Sonic Resistance sounds like a likely title for this game.

Hmmm it could be, but the problem with a word like Resistance is it'll probably get called Sonic R for short, which'd be amusing. I don't know about that name though, it seems too much like you're trying to resist Sonic.

I think the main reason Classic Sonic is in the game is to give another gamestyle to Boost that isn't godawful. They probably can't make many levels with the Boost formula, because the levels are massive, detailed and take ages to make. 

This is also the reason why Boost games have always had slowing gimmicks compared to the Boost gameplay: Werehog for Unleashed, Wisps for Colors (although that was a slower title due to being on the Wii) and Classic Sonic for Generations.

So what Sonic Team probably figured was, "hey we need something to complement Boost Sonic, and Classic Sonic was not a complete fuck up to most people". 

Also, I see a lot of people here hating on Generations. I played Generations a few weeks ago, it's a really good game. If we get Generations 2 why is that exactly a bad thing? I mean, I get that getting the character Classic Sonic is a bit weird, but it worked in Generations 1 so, eeeeeh.

I'm really excited to see how this game will turn out, especially in terms of story. But people are hating on Generations? Jesus, you just can't win with this fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Mel said:

I think the main reason Classic Sonic is in the game is to give another gamestyle to Boost that isn't godawful. They probably can't make many levels with the Boost formula, because the levels are massive, detailed and take ages to make. 

This is also the reason why Boost games have always had slowing gimmicks compared to the Boost gameplay: Werehog for Unleashed, Wisps for Colors (although that was a slower title due to being on the Wii) and Classic Sonic for Generations.

So what Sonic Team probably figured was, "hey we need something to complement Boost Sonic, and Classic Sonic was not a complete fuck up to most people". 

Also, I see a lot of people here hating on Generations. I played Generations a few weeks ago, it's a really good game. If we get Generations 2 why is that exactly a bad thing? I mean, I get that getting the character Classic Sonic is a bit weird, but it worked in Generations 1 so, eeeeeh.

The rule of thumb is a new sonic game comes out alot of people love it. Years later the fans hate it.

I'm glad this is coming to a Nintendo console. I  like the tone it's taking and I'm extremely glad that a city stage will be in the game.

Now I have to cross my fingers and hope that mania comes to nx.

Generations was good, if short.

We should be thankful that this game appears to be expanding on everything that game did wrong. Well... according to the CG trailer anyway.

I wonder if a new trailer for Summer of Sonic would be on the cards? I know we had an exclusive for Lost World, but did we for any other games?

I'm looking forward to finding out more.

Man, I didn't expect that

Seeing that teaser for the first time was really weird, that burning city and Sonic being really mad made me really intrigued. Classic Sonic being there really feel out of place, and IMO should be replaced by one of Sonic's friend, maybe Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Amy with her hammer, I dunno. And the 'join the resistance' line really felt weird after previous light-hearted games. And there's no gameplay, so it could mean anything can happen. Excited to see where this goes

Watching this feels like that one gif of that guy who walked into an apartement with the pizza and seeing the room burn. I was like 'whoa, wut happened here?' :P

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Celestia said:

So something I didn't notice until I saw someone point it out--the mass-produced Death Egg Robots that appear in the Sonic 2017 trailer don't have Eggman's face.

tumblr_oar4qcQz501ucjntqo1_1280.png

No idea what that could mean (if anything), though.

But they do bear his red and yellow lab shirt and have a round, egg-like body, so it's kind of obvious they belong to him, regardless.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm still really intrigued about the story for this game though. Like did Eggman screw around with the space time continuum again to ensure that he would rule the world? And since Sonic is forming a resistance with himself does that mean that other characters like Tails and Knuckles could be part of the resistance? And does Eggman team up with other villains? So many questions.

Yeah it's very unlike Eggman to not stick his amazing mug on everything he owns... especially on robots modeled after himself. Might mean there's somebody else at work here...

For some reason my first thought other than another villain being involved was that, in order to mass-produce these things, he had to simplify their design.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sure how to feel about Classic Sonic being brought back like this. I figured Sonic Mania would have been enough but this makes it seem like they don't really have much confidence in having a 3D game be carried by a solo Sonic. If all these years have been leading up to a Generations redo but with original levels, I can't say I'll be particularly excited other than the potential for a better narrative.

• Thumbs Up 6

No,no,no,no,no,NO!

No more Eggman allies! We had enough: Mephelies, Dark Gaia, Deadly Six, Chaos, Biolizard.

Colors didnt bring Eggman an ally(Orbot and Cubot dont count). 

Cant Eggman do something big without any help?

• Thumbs Up 1

So we more or less got a game using the same formula as Generations but with new Zones this time out? Great! Sign me up man :D!

I felt Generations was a fantastic game that did a lot right, so seeing Sonic Team refine that title but add new things in addition to using that template to make a fully original Sonic title was great to see. 

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

So something I didn't notice until I saw someone point it out--the mass-produced Death Egg Robots that appear in the trailer don't have Eggman's face.

Good point - either Robotnik has gone full on dictator and is going for 'brutal oppression' in his design, rather than 'check out my amusement park with dancing robots in hats', or someone has stolen his robots and taken over the world.

I hope time travel isn't too much of a thing, although with Classic Sonic in the mix, it's a given. How's this for a totally speculative plot?

'Classic Sonic' doesn't get all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic Mania (or something), which historically means Robotnik wins, play again. This gives Robotnik the edge in taking over the world, which then turns Modern Sonic's place in the time line into 'The Bad Future'. Classic Sonic feels guilty for sucking at Blue Spheres, and travels forward in time to help Sonic (with presumably Tails, Knuckles, and the crew forming 'The Resistance')  stop the damage and destroy Robotnik's new regime, hopefully in just the one timeline - we don't need Final Fantasy XIII-2 up in here. 

Either that or it's Rise Of Lyric 2: Deadlier & Sixier? 

28 minutes ago, Celestia said:

So something I didn't notice until I saw someone point it out--the mass-produced Death Egg Robots that appear in the trailer don't have Eggman's face.

I got the sense that perhaps Eggman lost control of his doomsday weapons...or that they belong to Eggman Nega.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it's Eggman Nega then I'm expecting Blaze and it will explain having Classic Sonic here. While we're at it lets throw silver in as well.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

If it's Eggman Nega then I'm expecting Blaze and it will explain having Classic Sonic here. While we're at it lets throw silver in as well.

YES. I totally approve of this idea. Both Silver and Blaze need more recognition. Eggman Nega would be awesome too. B)

• Thumbs Up 1