Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Honestly I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm not hyped, not disappointed, just confused. So, so confused.

...well, if we must have Gens-style classic/modern gameplay, can we at least have original levels?

• Thumbs Up 1

So , at the ends Iizuka said this isn't Generations 2. My guess is that this'll contain actual new levels. 

So , at the ends Iizuka said this isn't Generations 2. My guess is that this'll contain actual new levels. 

Last I checked, most people either enjoyed or downright loved Generations. So why is everyone so upset about having modern and classic Sonic teaming up again? Personally, I'm pumped! Viva la resistance!

• Thumbs Up 5

"JOIN THE RESISTANCE"

Okay, so this is Sonic Bad Future then? Sounds like Sonic needs a ton of friends to fight off an Eggman ruled world. Like a team of.... well... Freedom Fighters? 

• Thumbs Up 8

Last I checked, most people either enjoyed or downright loved Generations. So why is everyone so upset about having modern and classic Sonic teaming up again? Personally, I'm pumped! Viva la resistance!

• Thumbs Up 2

It looks like the city from City Escape, but destroyed. Seems to be using the Classic/Sonic gameplay but as an actually new game. I'm stoked. I mean I wish we were getting playable Knuckles but at least he's in Sonic Mania!

Oh, and if this thing is a boost game? Fuck everything, that's the last thing I want out of 3D Sonic. I'd probably just buy it when it's on sale at a very, very low price, I've been burned enough by shitty (Unleashed) and half-decent (Colours, Generations) boost games to know that's not what I want.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd argue that Generations presented the best experience out of the Modern stable; not as stop and start as Unleashed, nor as monotonous as Colors could get. And as much as Lost World presented neat ideas, there was never really a reason to completely overhaul the gameplay in such a fashion. They had found something that worked; the least reasonable idea was to merely abandon the blueprint.

On the other hand, this is literally just that game again. It's weird. Usually the problem I have with Sonic games is a lot of unnecessary innovation, but this is the first I could accuse of not being adventurous enough. I suppose we'll have to see for certain once we have more gameplay to work with; after all, Super Mario World was in many way just a brushing up of Mario 3, and turned out fantastically. It's really going to be down to how well they polish the experience. If, at the end of the day, they deliver a fun game that justifies its existence, I'll be very pleased. That's all I've ever asked for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god it's an Unleashed-boost sequel..................eh, erm....Gens 2.. Ok then.

Modern Sonic (whatever he will be called this time) seemed to curl into a ball-sort of at 0:49. Interesting, especially if this has boost gameplay.

Giant death-robo. *whispers* SEGA for fuck sake don't re-use too many ideas from Gens. There are plenty more to re-use from other Sonic games.

b8b6216a99d98ce45f4c1202174c426224958d0e

• Thumbs Up 1

This better not be yet another Sonic and his clones only game... because am so very disappointed if it is... It's to early to tell exactly what it is... but that trailer doesn't make me hopefully. The grim dark opening setting theme was very meh choice to me too. But on the small chance from judging on their word usage.... If we are lucky other characters besides multiple Sonics will be playable. Time will tell I guess.

On the bright side, Sonic Mania looks awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was excited until Classic Sonic showed up again. Isn't there already going to be a brand new Classic Sonic game? Classic Sonic in Sonic Dash? Classic Sonic pretty much everywhere? Can't we just let the current Sonic have his own game for once? Sure they did that with Lost World, but the art style and levels were clearly classic inspired. So if you think about it, the last time that current Sonic has had his own game that had little to nothing to do with or was mainly inspired by his older self was in 2010, with Sonic Colors. Six years ago.

• Thumbs Up 5

This is perfect for me honestly!

Looks like Generations, but perhaps with a better story, less nostalgia pandering, and possibly all original levels.

I mean, I know we got Sonic Mania to have perfect Classic gameplay, but I welcome both Sonic's as long as the game is just as good as Gens.

I'm digging the darker tone, hopefully Pontac and Graff are gone. Kinda got sick of them.

My basic guess: The plot this time around is that Eggman has built an army and has seemingly taken over the world. Sonic gets help from Classic to stop him. This allows for the plot to be different from Generations, as in "not a sequel" like Iizuka said.

• Thumbs Up 3

• This topic was pinned and pinned

Is it a Boost game?  Is it something new?  Either way, I'm incredibly pessimistic.  Bringing Classic Sonic back basically tells me that they aren't confident that Sonic's 3D gameplay can stand on its own.  And if they aren't, then maybe they should work on cleaning them up instead of relying on gimmicks to fall back on.  Maybe the gameplay will totally take me by surprise, but for now, I'm keeping my expectations EXTREMELY low.

Sonic Mania sure looks good though!

• Thumbs Up 5

Really, the only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is the likely possibility they're bringing back the Boost gameplay as opposed to something more flexible like they had with the Adventures, but really time will tell if that's even the case anymore.

Wonder what the heck they mean by Join the Resistance. I seriously doubt they're bringing in anything from SatAM/Archie, so what significance does that have?

• Thumbs Up 9

Looks like the boost game-play is back. Seems as though Lost World was not but a phase, understandably so...but still unfortunate.

Sonic Mania not being announcd for NX is weird since it's a perfect fit and Nintendo's making it easy for small games to be developed for it. Also a Resistance usually means multiple members... maybe there is hope for the friends after all

• Thumbs Up 5