Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

So, if what Endri said is true (the key word being if) then what I gather is that the boost is going to return, but in a altered form.

Just now, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be very much like all the games before it. All I'm saying is that them design around him having the move could lead to many different types of levels and gameplay and it could become something Extremely different from what people say when they think boost gameplay.

Even if it is extremely different from the standard Boost formula, I don't think that doesn't make it a Boost game or necessitates confusion. Rather, the definition for what a Boost game can be has simply expanded (although it wasn't all that rigid to me beforehand; Colors doesn't play like Unleashed or Gens that much anyway). But regardless, they still have the main components of the formula in there. If it walks like a duck and all that.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Even if it is extremely different from the standard Boost formula, I don't think that doesn't make it a Boost game or necessitates confusion. Rather, the definition for what a Boost game can be has simply expanded (although it wasn't all that rigid to me beforehand; Colors doesn't play like Unleashed or Gens that much anyway). But regardless, they still have the main components of the formula in there. If it walks like a duck and all that.

I think what people are wondering is not whether it fits into this vague category of a boost game but rather if it's going to really be a "whole new experience" because if the definition of boost game is really that loose I don't see the point in it. With that said yes the 20 seconds of action we saw does make it seem that it won't be much of a new experience but until I see gameplay I'm not gonna speculate at all.

At this point, the main thing I hope for is that some kind of big hub world returns.

If not, then make the stages these really expansive 3D spaces.

I want them to really use the power of these newer systems.

I want this game to be ambitious, and I'm seeing good signs of it so far.

• Thumbs Up 6

20 minutes ago, kboyrulez12345 said:

So, if what Endri said is true (the key word being if) then what I gather is that the boost is going to return, but in a altered form.

There's no reason to believe that he wasn't telling the truth. He's openly involved in the game industry and I'm pretty sure he's the same guy who leaked the contents of Sonic 4 Episode 1 before it's initial release, so him having access to this kind of info isn't too much of a stretch.

Although the key thing to note here is that his post was made a little under two years ago, so gameplay-wise a lot of things could have changed since then. The game might be an entirely different beast compared to what he saw before, and from the looks of the given teaser I'd say Sonic Team is probably taking another shot at the boost formula instead of developing something completely new again.

Personally I'm not huge fan of the boost-oriented gameplay style, but I guess I'd take it over another game that plays like Lost World, so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Clewis said:

There's no reason to believe that he wasn't telling the truth. He's openly involved in the game industry and I'm pretty sure he's the same guy who leaked the contents of Sonic 4 Episode 1 before it's initial release, so him having access to this kind of info isn't too much of a stretch.

Although the key thing to note here is that his post was made a little under two years ago, so gameplay-wise a lot of things could have changed since then. The game might be an entirely different beast compared to what he saw before, and from the looks of the given teaser I'd say Sonic Team is probably taking another shot at the boost formula instead of developing something completely new again.

Personally I'm not huge fan of the boost-oriented gameplay style, but I guess I'd take it over another game that plays like Lost World, so whatever.

Oh yeah, I've actually had it in mind that a lot of things can change between 2014 and now, of course. I was just speaking hypothetically; if what Endri says it's true (which it is now that I know who he his) and Sonic Team kept the same build from what Endri says up until now, that I guess the boost will be an element to the game, but completely altered.

4 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Considering Endri's connected to Xbox Live marketplace stuff on Xbone, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the game he was referring to was in fact Sonic Mania. After all, it is a downloadable title, which is where you'd find something like that.

I wouldn't let that convince you it won't be different than Generations though. Iizuka seems adamant that this isn't "Generations 2" and is an "all-new experience", so be sure to keep that in mind.

Now this I haven't thought about; also possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ChikoLad said:

At this point, the main thing I hope for is that some kind of big hub world returns.

If not, then make the stages these really expansive 3D spaces.

I want them to really use the power of these newer systems.

I want this game to be ambitious, and I'm seeing good signs of it so far.

Unless they change Modern Sonic's game-play...expansive levels are a no-go. With the way he controls in 3D, there's is absolutely none point to making his levels open. His games are linear for a reason.

Just now, StaticMania said:

Unless they change Modern Sonic's game-play...expansive levels are a no-go. With the way he controls in 3D, there's is absolutely none point to making his levels open. His games are linear for a reason.

Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill (the Modern version in Generations is one of the best Sonic levels ever) would like a word with you.

I thought he controlled fine in open spaces in Generations. Only thing it really needed was camera control like Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They could just tighten it up and make sonic harder to control while boosting (ala just giving him adventure style control normally but while boosting you're as restricted as you are in the boost games) which could make for some interesting risk/reward factor.

It controlled well enough, slightly better than he did in Unleashed or Colors. At slower speeds it might be fine, but Sonic loses a lot of turn...turning the faster he goes and his levels are built less around typical platforming challenges, more around reaction based obstacles which don't quite work in open areas.

1 hour ago, ChikoLad said:

Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill (the Modern version in Generations is one of the best Sonic levels ever) would like a word with you.

I thought he controlled fine in open spaces in Generations. Only thing it really needed was camera control like Unleashed.

That's so weird. Aside from Planet Wisp, those are the two modern levels I like the least. 

I dunno why. I may just be too different a person.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It controlled well enough, slightly better than he did in Unleashed or Colors. At slower speeds it might be fine, but Sonic loses a lot of turn...turning the faster he goes and his levels are built less around typical platforming challenges, more around reaction based obstacles which don't quite work in open areas.

Again, Seaside Hill Act 2 wants a word with you, and Sky Sanctuary Act 2.

Also, by open levels, I don't mean Hyrule Field in Lost World, necessarily.

I just mean like, if I decide to jump off the rails to see what's below, it's not always a bottomless pit.

• Thumbs Up 2

And those two levels are two levels...actually Generations' Modern Sonic level design as a whole has less reaction based obstacles. That's probably why it's so easy. It probably could work, I'm just being a skeptic.

Feels pretty late and random but I just wanna mention that the trailer was pretty bad to me from start to finish for me. Sure I was not happy to see classic but that's far from what made me not like it.

For the first couple seconds I was excited to see the giant robot but as soon as he put his foot down in the most boring way possible it felt off to me. There was no nice sound/or object blown away to really sell me on his power or weight. Then started the constant fading to black and pausing on text that just disrupted the flow of the trailer and constantly dampened the intensity. I saw sonic and I thought he looked decent and for a second all was forgiven because I thought I was about to see a really cool running scene, but from the start the way he dashed towards the screen lacked impact and felt slow. He didn't kick off with power that felt like it shook the thing around him he just sorta started running like anyone else would. When he jumped into the air and came down it felt like he was gently heading to the floor instead of dashing towards it with intensity. Him actually running was not bad but didn't feel "fast and cool" it felt rushed and a real step down compared to most other scene like this. Then more fades to black to disrupt the little excitement it had and him and classic sonic boost away without the sense of speed that they seemed to have nailed in unleashed or generations.

Also while i'm not expecting some up beat high energy music from this what they had felt really bland and didn't really get me hyped or drastically enhance the atmosphere.

If the opening of unleashed was an 8 this felt like a 5 or 6 at best.

Just felt like sharing what went through my mind when watching it and also wanted to put what I didn't like about it into words for my own sake.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, The KKM said:

honestly, just seeing reused assets ("jesus christ this is just the generations death egg robot" was my first reaction),

Sonic games have always reused assets though, every game developer does this

Sonic CD reuses Sonic 1's base sprite, Sonic Generations model rips from Colors like the buzzbombers and the motobugs

Shadow the hedgehog models rips all character models from Sonic Heroes with the exception of the few human characters whose models are completely new

The trailer for Sonic 2017 looked pre-rendered anyways, as long as the game is good I don't mind if they reuse models or repurpose stuff from the older 3D games as long as it's not like Final Fantasy XIV were they rip models from XI, XII and XIII and don't even bother to update the textures for half the enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Theory! You'll like this one.

Spoiler

Dr. Nega is the villain of "Sonic Resistance". How? Well look closely at the closeup where the two death egg robots are just trashing the city and you'll see they're not the traditional red and yellow, but grey and yellow. Dr. Nega wears those colors. If it's true and Dr. NEga has come to the past from his time, it explains Classic Sonic being there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm expecting Sonic Unleashed 2 but with Classic Sonic instead of the Werehog. From what I can gather, it seems the boost gameplay is likely returning, which is a step in the right direction. The more detailed art style as seen in Unleashed, Colours, and Generations also seems to be returning.

Overall, Sonic 2017 seems promising. Hopefully we'll get some screenshots and gameplay footage soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

Feels pretty late and random but I just wanna mention that the trailer was pretty bad to me from start to finish for me. Sure I was not happy to see classic but that's far from what made me not like it.

For the first couple seconds I was excited to see the giant robot but as soon as he put his foot down in the most boring way possible it felt off to me. There was no nice sound/or object blown away to really sell me on his power or weight. Then started the constant fading to black and pausing on text that just disrupted the flow of the trailer and constantly dampened the intensity. I saw sonic and I thought he looked decent and for a second all was forgiven because I thought I was about to see a really cool running scene, but from the start the way he dashed towards the screen lacked impact and felt slow. He didn't kick off with power that felt like it shook the thing around him he just sorta started running like anyone else would. When he jumped into the air and came down it felt like he was gently heading to the floor instead of dashing towards it with intensity. Him actually running was not bad but didn't feel "fast and cool" it felt rushed and a real step down compared to most other scene like this. Then more fades to black to disrupt the little excitement it had and him and classic sonic boost away without the sense of speed that they seemed to have nailed in unleashed or generations.

Also while i'm not expecting some up beat high energy music from this what they had felt really bland and didn't really get me hyped or drastically enhance the atmosphere.

If the opening of unleashed was an 8 this felt like a 5 or 6 at best.

Just felt like sharing what went through my mind when watching it and also wanted to put what I didn't like about it into words for my own sake.

Thanks for sharing what went through your head.  Fading in trailers has been done for YEARS. Its meant to change scenes while showing something else and switching back and forth without spinning a camera all day.  As for the stomping of a robot. This is not Gundam where the mechs run 40 mph. These are giant powerhouse robots of course they are going to stomp around slow. The music was low for a puprose its showing sonic has lost or is losing and he is going against odds he may not win. This is not the opening of city escape where everything is cool and hes outta here and rolling around starts playing. Sonic knows he needs to fix things.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Thanks for sharing what went through your head.  Fading in trailers has been done for YEARS. Its meant to change scenes while showing something else and switching back and forth without spinning a camera all day.  As for the stomping of a robot. This is not Gundam where the mechs run 40 mph. These are giant powerhouse robots of course they are going to stomp around slow. The music was low for a puprose its showing sonic has lost or is losing and he is going against odds he may not win. This is not the opening of city escape where everything is cool and hes outta here and rolling around starts playing. Sonic knows he needs to fix things.

As I said I was not wanting upbeat music but there is good mellow music and bad mellow music and this was the latter. It did not feel like it help sell the mood they were trying to achieve as well at it could have.

I'm not saying the robot needs to stomp down and have the earth split in to but I feel like the animation lacked a few small touches to help sell it. Perhaps a little more sound or a bit of trash getting moved when he puts his foot down.

You are right, fading in trailer has been done for years. Obviously I know what it's purpose is and have seen it done and messed up many, many times.so it's sad that sega has not learned from the many examples how to still keep up the pace and not mess up the trailer when you do it. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean you have to make you trailer feel cheap and cheesy by lazily throwing it in without doing it right.

it's not just that this wasn't some super action packed mind bendingly fast paced trailer it was just very forgetable and did not set up an awesome atmosphere or make me feel anything in general. The graphics were beautiful but the shots and the directing felt extremely weak,bland and generic.

50 minutes ago, Stritix said:

From what I can gather, it seems the boost gameplay is likely returning, which is a step in the right direction.

I disagree about it being a "step in the right direction". Really dislike the "boost" style gameplay. I give the Adventure games a lot of shit, but the Sonic stages are some of the most fun I've ever had playing as Sonic. They should go back to that style for this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Browsing some japanese sites a lot of them are actually talking and more excited for this than the 2d game. They are also bashing nintendo a lot

• Thumbs Up 1

"Oh look we're doing this and this and this again, because people didn't hate it too much last time we tried it." - More or less what this trailer said to me.  

I don't see any real sign of them fixing anything.  Tonally, it kind of just seems like they drew angry eyebrows onto the Generations teaser, and it only took them one game to fall back on sticking classic sonic in there again.  I can also see they haven't fixed some of the oddities about their current design either.  Extreme side mouth, bioluminescent irises, floppy quills.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know, I just don't really like the Boost in the console games that much. If it were to come back, I would vastly prefer it to be more like the Boost Mode from Advance 2 and 3.

• Thumbs Up 7

10 minutes ago, Phos said:

"Oh look we're doing this and this and this again, because people didn't hate it too much last time we tried it." - More or less what this trailer said to me.  

I don't see any real sign of them fixing anything.  Tonally, it kind of just seems like they drew angry eyebrows onto the Generations teaser, and it only took them one game to fall back on sticking classic sonic in there again.  I can also see they haven't fixed some of the oddities about their current design either.  Extreme side mouth, bioluminescent irises, floppy quills.  

They really don't need to "fix" it. sonic just looks better with a side mouth so that's what they give him. You disliking it or thinking it looks wrong doesn't mean it's an issue that must be fixed I think.