Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

They really don't need to "fix" it. sonic just looks better with a side mouth so that's what they give him.

It looks good when he isn't talking, but when he is, It's side mouth ad absurdum.  It looks so weird when he's talking and his mouth is nowhere near the middle of his muzzle.   

5 minutes ago, Phos said:

It looks good when he isn't talking, but when he is, It's side mouth ad absurdum.  It looks so weird when he's talking and his mouth is nowhere near the middle of his muzzle.   

well firstly I disagree. that aside, we have not seen him talk so we don't really know if they will bring it close to the center when he is talking. I think having his mouth in the center looks stranger. Sonic has a very unique design and just cause in reality mouth are in the center does not mean its a good choice.

It looks just as weird when his mouth is in the middle of his muzzle like it was in Heroes and Nex Gen, but it's something that we could've gotten use to had they still done it.

1 hour ago, kdotj24 said:

I disagree about it being a "step in the right direction". Really dislike the "boost" style gameplay. I give the Adventure games a lot of shit, but the Sonic stages are some of the most fun I've ever had playing as Sonic. They should go back to that style for this game.

Seeing the Adventure gameplay refined and updated would be nice, but the boost gameplay is solid and definitely a step in the right direction. The boost gameplay was refined in Colours and Generations and has been acclaimed as the definitive 3D Sonic experience. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with it next. Lost World and the Boom games were absolutely horrific. The boost gameplay works and is actually good. I can't see how it could be a step in the wrong direction after recent titles.

12 minutes ago, Stritix said:

Seeing the Adventure gameplay refined and updated would be nice, but the boost gameplay is solid and definitely a step in the right direction. The boost gameplay was refined in Colours and Generations and has been acclaimed as the definitive 3D Sonic experience. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with it next. Lost World and the Boom games were absolutely horrific. The boost gameplay works and is actually good. I can't see how it could be a step in the wrong direction after recent titles.

Lost world was mediocre but the formula was far from horrific. You say that the boost gameplay works and is actually good so therefore don't know how it could be a step in the wrong direction. Have you considered that maybe to some it's not good just like lost world is not good to you.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Stritix said:

Boost gameplay is playable, but it's not necessarily very good. It almost feels like Sega has to unanimously hit on this game (or the next closest thing, as no matter what happens, 30% of the Sonic fanbase will be pissed off), and I have a good feeling playing it safe with another Boost game isn't necessarily going to cut it.

14 minutes ago, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

well firstly I disagree. that aside, we have not seen him talk so we don't really know if they will bring it close to the center when he is talking. I think having his mouth in the center looks stranger. Sonic has a very unique design and just cause in reality mouth are in the center does not mean its a good choice.

Never said I wanted it centered, only that it remains too far over when he's talking.  

13 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Mickey Mouse's ears stay in the same place regardless of where he turns his head or where the camera is. Disney should probably get around to fixing that.

That way of putting it has always kind of bugged me that's a reductive way of putting it, his ears are always behind his head when in profile and at his head's flanks when straight on, and the camera was always in the same place - Pointed straight down through the animation cels.  I also don't think that's a very good analogy because it wouldn't make sense to make Mickey's ears be kind of angle independent.

13 minutes ago, Stritix said:

The boost formula is pretty problematic if you ask me.  The levels wind up being pretty similar in execution, if you were to play the game seeing only the collision meshes instead of the level as intended, it'd be pretty hard to tell which level is which.  Ironically, the speed by which you go through levels means that the artists have to build a lot of backgrounds, meaning the team has to work hard for little pay off.  And really, there's never been a real point to the boost games being 3D.  They're still 2D levels, only sometimes the camera is behind Sonic instead of beside him, and though the boost games weren't the only ones to do it (looking at you, Adventure 2), it was the most egregious about it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Phos said:

That way of putting it has always kind of bugged me that's a reductive way of putting it, his ears are always behind his head when in profile and at his head's flanks when straight on, and the camera was always in the same place - Pointed straight down through the animation cels.  I also don't think that's a very good analogy because it wouldn't make sense to make Mickey's ears be kind of angle independent.

When Mickey is in profile, his ears are in a straight line on the top of his head, which does not match their position when he's either front or back-facing. And whenever the character turns, his ears do not overlap each other. At all. It's even more egregious in Epic Mickey where the ears are basically static no matter where you move the camera.

Mickey's ears are physically impossible. But it's stylistic so no one gives a fuck.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

When Mickey is in profile, his ears are in a straight line on the top of his head, which does not match their position when he's either front or back-facing. And whenever the character turns, his ears do not overlap each other. At all. It's even more egregious in Epic Mickey where the ears are basically static no matter where you move the camera.

Mickey's ears are physically impossible. But it's stylistic so no one gives a fuck.

This is how I typically think of Mickey in profile.

His ears move, but not in in the "right" way, but sometimes they probably should.  That's not correct.  

Yes. That is what Mickey's ears in profile look. They follow each other in a line. They are wrong from an artistic (don't match his front) and a biological perspective. But again, absolutely no one gives a fuck.

Anyone else wondering if the trailer shown was a cutscene made from the game's graphics and software engine, instead of a prerendered CGI cutscene? I hope it reflects the actual in game graphics, because that would be one stunning looking game.

I find it strange that Sega said this new game isn't a sequel, yet all evidence suggests that this is a sequel to Sonic Generations. Maybe what Sega meant to say was that it is a sequel, but will have completely different gameplay, and story. They probably meant this new game will not rely on nostalgia, and be a game made up of reimagined levels from past Sonic games. It will probably be a whole new story with entirely new levels.

I also hope the controls are a mix of Sonic Adventure and Generations. It would have similar loose and momentum in Sonic's controls, along with the spin dash, but with the addition of the stomp and boost attacks from Sonic Unleashed. I think that would be great, that way players that preferred Adventure's controls or Generations' Controls can get a share in their preferred controls. Besides, I've heard from people that loved Sonic Generations admit that they wished Sonic's movement was less limited, and was more loose and smooth.

I hope they bring back the Chao Garden as well. Just because this isn't Sonic Adventure 3, that doesn't mean Chao Garden can't be implemented. It would give a good reason for players to keep coming back and replay the game's levels. A hub world would be great as well. 

Finally, I hope Sonic and Classic Sonic aren't the only playable characters. The trailer did say "Join the Resistance" Which heavily implies more of Sonic's friends will have much bigger roles in this game. It would be neat for Tails, Knuckles, and Amy to be playable, along with their classic selves. That would be a great step up from the first Sonic Generations, since some were disappointed at only the 2 Sonics being playable, or the lack of Classic Knuckles and Classic Amy.

Each classic version of Sonic's friends will be able to do the spin dash, while the modern characters don't have the spin dash, but can use their own abilities

Classic Amy could be slow, but have a double jump, while modern Amy is a lot faster (to reflect how much speed she's gotten over the years, after chasing Sonic, and growing up after some time.) and would have the widest range of attacks out of all the characters. 

Classic Knuckles can glide and climb just like in the Genesis games, while modern Knuckles can do all of that as well, but he can punch, uppercut, and drill underground.

Classic Tails will fly traditionally, by mashing the jump button, while Modern Tails will fly like he could in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes, by holding the jump button. Modern Tails could also have his tails spin attack.

It would be nice to get a few more characters, but I have a feeling that if any other characters are playable, it would probably be only Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, since they're the only other hero characters to have Classic versions. It wouldn't make sense to have Shadow, Silver, or Blaze as playable, because then there would be more playable characters in modern gameplay, which would leave the amount of playable characters in Classic gameplay a bit lacking and unbalanced. I truly wouldn't mind though, but I have a feeling Sega wouldn't bother. 

Hopefully we'll get something before the year ends but probably not given this game's far off release date 

Yeah we probably won't get anything until next year but hey, maybe SEGA will surpise us with more info in a few months!

4 hours ago, Azoo said:

Considering Endri's connected to Xbox Live marketplace stuff on Xbone, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the game he was referring to was in fact Sonic Mania. After all, it is a downloadable title, which is where you'd find something like that.

I wouldn't let that convince you it won't be different than Generations though. Iizuka seems adamant that this isn't "Generations 2" and is an "all-new experience", so be sure to keep that in mind.

Endri specifically cited Microsoft helping SEGA out because Japanese documentation for Xbox One sucks. Christian Whitehead and his team are all primarily English speakers.

• Thumbs Up 8

39 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Sometimes reading youtube comment unearth gems like this

Haha, I'll admit I've never listened to the opening theme of Sonic Underground......UNTIL now :)

-----

I know we haven't seen any gameplay footage, but do you think the modern Sonic gameplay (I hesitate to use the term "modern" because we don't know yet if the game will be a mixture of modern and classic) will be primarily boost related? The cutscene footage was brief, but it does look like Sonic is boosting (with the light blue trail behind). Ironically it also shows the light blue trail behind classic Sonic. DOES THIS MEAN CLASSIC SONIC CAN BOOST NOW????

If the boost is back, then I guess it's gonna be around for a while. Perhaps add the parkour gimmick (from SLW) to help keep the boost gameplay fresh? 

So many questions, my head hurts!

I honestly think people should chill with drawing so many parallels between the teaser and the gameplay. Sonic's just running fast like he always has.

But ever since Sonic Unleashed all these CGI scenes have only ever had Sonic (the Hedgehog) do how he does in the game-play. So it only makes sense to draw the obvious parallels while we can. Also because other than the setup, nothing else can be tooken from the trailer besides that...and a few reference poses.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Phos said:

And really, there's never been a real point to the boost games being 3D.  They're still 2D levels, only sometimes the camera is behind Sonic instead of beside him, and though the boost games weren't the only ones to do it (looking at you, Adventure 2), it was the most egregious about it.  

I think Phos nailed it here. Exactly how i feel about it.

Was really hoping for the elimination of all single directional gameplay and instead, gain a return to full 360 fluidity and control with no need for comprises.

• Thumbs Up 5

The CG trailers don't always show the gameplay exactly as it is in the game itself, for example:

1. In the Sonic 06 intro cutscene, we see Sonic performing a little boost while fighting the robots, even though at that time that concept was only in Sonic Rush.

2. The Sonic Unleashed intro cutscene had Sonic trick around a robot, which could suggest that a quit-time event silar to Werehog's could've been there for normal Sonic, althoughthat could've been shown for cinematic effect, I don't think people should readmuch into it just yet.But, its fun to theorize.

• Thumbs Up 1