Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don't think it's a huge thing to assume at all! It was honestly the 2nd thing I thought of quickly within a few hours when the trailer was shown off. I don't think it's much worse that then to assume it's basically a Sonic Generations 2 just because Classic Sonic showed up. And I admit that a Gens 2 is the easy guess here based after what is shown so far, but that doesn't mean the other theories are unlikely.

I'm not assuming it's Generations 2. While it's understandable as a knee-jerk reaction, I also think that's a huge assumption right now.

But the helper idea is still an even bigger stretch. At least the Generations 2 assumption goes off of past patterns (i.e. whenever Classic Sonic shows up, he's playable, plus Modern Sonic depicted as using various moves he could also use in Generations). The helper idea literally has nothing to go off of. I feel like people just saw the word "help" in "But even heroes need help", and assumed it based on that because Classic Sonic helped Modern Sonic in the trailer, which is a huge stretch. That's why I specifically brought up the Smash Bros comparison earlier. "Oh, Sonic won't be playable in this Smash Bros. He will be an Assist Trophy, because he assisted Mario against Bowser in the CGI trailer".

I'm not saying they can't surprise us and pull a Cloud, and that this trailer just hasn't touched on the idea even if it is in the game. But as it stands, there is nothing concrete or remotely tangible pointing towards this as a likely scenario.

7 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

The helper idea literally has nothing to go off of.

But as it stands, there is nothing concrete or remotely tangible pointing towards this as a likely scenario.

I already covered this tho? Sonic Lost World, Sonic Runners. Side missions in Sonic Generations. Sonic 4 EP 2. And the fact the Sonic 2017 trailer gave the impression of a group. And the fact it's said NOT to be a sequel, and is a brand new experience. Hell I think it's more likely it'll be what I said over a Gens 2. You don't have to believe it, but mark my words if you wish.

• Thumbs Up 5

That City we saw in the trailer is a new location all together as well. The building architecture is very European, so it ain't no City Escape or Crises City, at the same time, it isn't Spagonia neither.

Actually it resembles a France town or something like New Orleans more so than anything we've seen.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I already covered this tho? Sonic Lost World, Sonic Runners. Side missions in Sonic Generations. Sonic 4 EP 2. And the fact the Sonic 2017 trailer gave the impression of a group. And the fact it's said NOT to be a sequel, and is a brand new experience. Hell I think it's more likely it'll be what I said over a Gens 2. You don't have to believe it, but mark my words if you wish.

"These games that came out before had this" =/= "it's likely to happen this time".

The Boost formula was in three games in a row and was dropped in Lost World.

Also, Sonic 4 EP 2 was a very specific case. The game was obviously paying homage to Sonic 2, so the A.I/Player 2 could play as Tails.

Come to think of it, Classic Sonic being a Player 2 character would make more sense than as a partner, since that retains the idea of him being playable.

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

"New Experience" is such a generic buzzword, it could mean anything.

Personally, I'm just hoping for this game to be an immersive, visceral experience with cutting-edge graphics.

Can't say I know what "visceral" means in the context of Sonic, but immersive with great graphics is good. Also please make the gameplay good. At least have taken some strides towards improving it in some substantial way.

2 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

Imagine, there's a wall with a surprise at the top. Summon Tails to fly you up there. Knuckles digs for goodies, Shadow slows down time, and so forth.

Summon Rouge to use her... "feminine wiles"...?

Please Sonic Team - never again.

• Thumbs Up 7

The way Classic Sonic behaves in this trailer reminds me of the modern sections in Time Eater. Classic Sonic destroys huge debris that's in Modern Sonic's way, like he would when you press the jump button during the boss, then he follows close behind Modern Sonic when they boost towards the Mechs.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well the two character system of Advance 3 in a 3D game would still count as a new experience.

No idea what could be done with such a system if just the two Sonic's are involved.

Haha you're kidding, right? So it's Blue, Yellow, Red for the sake of it? I didn't even notice a blue building in the scene before that!

EDITED: That reads back as quite snappy - not my intention! I think it's a clue though.

I'm going to go a step further and say the answer to both questions is definitely no. Even if Tails and Knuckles are playable, the answer will still be no.

I mean, I doubt Sonic Team or whoever put that teaser together put as much thought into it than we did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Mania and this game being related is unlikely. Whether the multicoloured debris means anything to the notion of Tails and Knuckles being playable is pure conjecture. That having been said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of those rocks meaning something. Even if what they are, is a misdirection. The past year Sega America have been insanely cryptic about a lot of things regarding Sonic's future - wouldn't surprise me if Sonic Team also decided to put a few hints in their trailer (which is probably produced by Marza animation planet)

• Thumbs Up 1

The city is just colourful. I remember during GameXplain's analysis, they paused a point where you can see one of the intact buildings, and IIRC it had walls / roofs / whatever that were blue, yellow, and red.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not weird to put cryptic clues in a trailer. It gets people theorising and taking about the product. People analyse trailers shot for shot these days looking for clues (albeit it not usually for Sonic games). Aaron Webber has previously teased that they've already revealed things people having picked up on it. And they were enjoying their numbers a lot and hashtags pre-announcement. I'm not saying I'm right, but it seems a weird coincidence otherwise. Are there any other blue buildings in the trailer?

I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but I respectfully disagree with you guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

I mean, I doubt Sonic Team or whoever put that teaser together put as much thought into it than we did.

That's going to far I think. I don't think it's to crazy to think that the color choices were a nod to the fans and I don't feel it's right to say the artists did not put as much thought into their work as we do. If anything they put in more. Sonic has been cryptic in the last few months anad I feel this would fall in line with that.

I think it's not likely but also not crazy to think that it could mean something.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm going to go a step further and say the answer to both questions is definitely no. Even if Tails and Knuckles are playable, the answer will still be no.

I mean I think to most people all it showed of was a new story. The only thing that seems very likely from the trailer is the classic sonic will be notably different due to boost and possibly homing attack.

Honestly, I think Iizuka stressed that it wasn't a sequel to emphasise that it wouldn't feature remasters of old levels. It's a brand new game.

That said, it is probably going to be Generations 2 in gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right now I'm calling a bait and switch on Sonic Team's part. They show Sonic using his old Generations moves in the teaser getting the fans riled up and thinking he'll play the same, thinking this will just be Generations 2. 

Haha no way. Sonic will play completely differently to throw everyone off, setting a new standard influencing all future games after this one >=)

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Re: Not a sequel

That phrase could mean something new, but right now I believe it's just as likely this is a sequel in terms of gameplay.

Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't Sonic Heroes 2, Sonic and the Black Knight wasn't Sonic and the Secret Rings 2, Sonic Colors DS wasn't Sonic Rush 3, they were brand new experiences.  But y'know... they kinda all were sequels to their predecessors on virtue of playing so similarly.  I'll spare the Sonic 2006 = Sonic Adventure 3 joke because granted unlike the above examples that doesn't appear to run on a tweaked version of the same engine as it's predecessor lol.

To be fair, this looks like much more a sequel to Sonic Generations than Shadow was to Heroes and Black Knight was to Secret Rings. Shadow didn't have Heroes signature team mechanic and Black Knight added sword gameplay, and whilst playing similarly, this massively changed the concept.

This looks like it is Generations but without the reimagined stages. It looks like it literally is Generations 2, just without the remake stages. And like I said, this is probably the reason why Iizuka stressed it wasn't a sequel. He doesn't want people to get the wrong idea and think it will remake levels from past games.

Also, hate to be be the guy, but Sonic 2006 is basically Sonic Adventure 3. It doesn't run on the same engine, but the gameplay concept and general story and presentation is very, very similar to Adventure. It's actually more like Adventure than Shadow is like Heroes and Black Knight is like Secret Rings. It's just that the Adventure games were fun and Sonic 2006 was horrible. 

5 minutes ago, Mel said:

To be fair, this looks like much more a sequel to Sonic Generations than Shadow was to Heroes and Black Knight was to Secret Rings. Shadow didn't have Heroes signature team mechanic and Black Knight added sword gameplay, and whilst playing similarly, this massively changed the concept.

This looks like it is Generations but without the reimagined stages. It looks like it literally is Generations 2, just without the remake stages. And like I said, this is probably the reason why Iizuka stressed it wasn't a sequel. He doesn't want people to get the wrong idea and think it will remake levels from past games.

Also, hate to be be the guy, but Sonic 2006 is basically Sonic Adventure 3. It doesn't run on the same engine, but the gameplay concept and general story and presentation is very, very similar to Adventure. It's actually more like Adventure than Shadow is like Heroes and Black Knight is like Secret Rings. It's just that the Adventure games were fun and Sonic 2006 was horrible. 

Without seieng any gameplay we know nothing. We have not seen generations gameplay, we have seen a cutscene. We don't know what features this game will add or remove or how different it will be.

• Thumbs Up 1