Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

20 minutes ago, TheLaw34 said:

I want both freedom and the pure joy of going ridiculously high speed. Not that there is any chance of this team letting go of that . I think sonic should be able to achieve boost level speeds without needing a boost and instead should just be able to reach that speed if he the player can manage to keep up their momentum without fucking up. I think boost should be an instant burst of speed for when you just get out of a bad platforming section and need a quick start, or if you need to quickly change directions.

Buuut I highly doubt that is going to happen and would put my money on it being pretty much the same as genreations.

Even though that scenario is really unlikely... I really like the idea. It makes sense! And the keeping up momentum part would make it similar to Classic games in terms of how Sonic Controls. That would be interesting to see.

This may seem nitpicky but I really don't like the way Sonic's mouth looked in the trailer. It just looks weird having it on the side all of the time on a 3d model. Hopefully you won't be able to see it ingame. 

Just now, reflection_of said:

This may seem nitpicky but I really don't like the way Sonic's mouth looked in the trailer. It just looks weird having it on the side all of the time on a 3d model. Hopefully you won't be able to see it ingame. 

That is how its supposed to look. Thats the original design and to be honest I like it more the the mouth in the center look.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, nikfan said:

That is how its supposed to look. Thats the original design and to be honest I like it more the the mouth in the center look.

Wait, really? I recall Sonic's mouth being centered since Sonic1. 

When he smirked yes it was on the side but when his mouth opened it was clearly centered on his face. 

Its not just that it is on the side though. They did something different with his lips. I donno it just looks weird to me.

42 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

Wait, really? I recall Sonic's mouth being centered since Sonic1. 

When he smirked yes it was on the side but when his mouth opened it was clearly centered on his face. 

Its not just that it is on the side though. They did something different with his lips. I donno it just looks weird to me.

His surprised look was centered, yes. But most of his other emotions were on the side. Also, the lip thing was always there. Its more defined in Generations and Lost World, I think.

2 hours ago, nikfan said:

His surprised look was centered, yes. But most of his other emotions were on the side. Also, the lip thing was always there. Its more defined in Generations and Lost World, I think.

It must be the lip then. Because I didn't really have a problem with the side mouth until colors. It looked better in unleashed.

16 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

It must be the lip then. Because I didn't really have a problem with the side mouth until colors. It looked better in unleashed.

His lips do look a lil bit darker than all of his muzzle and they stick out a little. Yea, I am not a fan of it too, but its not that noticeable to be honest.

Yeah, when you put them side to side like that I can see now why people are theorizing this isn't CGI but I think there are some moments in the trailer that are though since there is no way some of it wasn't.

I'm guessing it's because Sonic's eyes aren't nearly as expressive in that 2nd image, that's nothing better than what they could've done using In-game graphics. Sonic looks a little more plastic too.

2 minutes ago, Auto said:

I'm sure they'd boast about it before or after the Sega logo if it was the in-game engine

SEGA teased a minute long teaser that didn't even tell us the name of the game for months and made us sit through three hours of garbage (minus Mania of course <3) before showing it on stream. 

Idk man. I'm not convinced Sonic Team knows their stuff when it comes to marketing. Also if it really isn't in-engine then jesus lord their CGI blows ass now.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's impossible to tell, particularly with screenshot quality being lower and the lighting differing from other scenes. We'd need bullshots to tell. It's possible that they're using in-game assets a la the Ratchet and Clank movie. However, I don't think we're going to get a game rendering volumetric smoke like what we're seeing in the trailer, hence why I don't think it's in-game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was about to comment on the smoke too but I guess someone would argue that it's a pre-rendered moving image placed in game like Doom sprites or something

I guess it helps the case that what we saw was in-game graphics, might just be me, but the robots graphically look the same as the Death Egg Robot in Generations. They just looks shinier, i guess?

There is no way this is CG; Lost World, Transformed, Gens, Colors and especially Unleashed had really good CG intros so comparing them to "Resistance", it's graphically inferior to the other intros. I find it hard to believe that would Marza drop the ball in CG quality with this intro.

Still, it's a bit too early to tell. There are parts in it that looks in-game but most of it looks like CGI to me. Then again, the hedgehog engine is always a spectacle to look at, so who knows..  

If I recall correctly the Hedgehog Engine is a lighting engine, not a graphical one. The lighting does look amazing in the intro so yeah.

Okay now I'm starting to get a bit mad at whoever decided to just release a CGI teaser without any gameplay, I'm all for speculating but we're now setting up what could be too high of expectations and fear mongering due to vagueness and conflicting information, both visual and verbal. What is up with this game?

The thing with the Hedgehog Engine is not that it's a lighting engine, but that it's an in-engine process. You could technically use the HE to make a pre-rendered video. However, unless the teaser is being rendered from all in-game assets, and they're still using the HE for this, then it would have no bearing on how the teaser looks at all because they wouldn't be using it. Most likely, if this teaser is pre-rendered, it was instead entirely conceived in Maya with a generic animation pipeline like an animated short would be.

@Auto If anyone's convinced themselves already that this is definitely in-engine, they've only got themselves to blame if it turns out it's not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Nepenthe

To be fair, we shouldn't even get a trailer at all if it's coming out over a year from now.

Some explanation as to what's going on with the gameplay and story and what makes it "not a sequel" would've gone smoother if you asked me, a lot less "oh boy guys edgy '06 is back, remember the Sonic Cycle, boys" comments too (I legit forgot about the Sonic Cycle during, like, late 2012 until this year when people brought it back up, no lie, and it's just as annoying to read now as it was then)

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, the "so edgy!!1!/Sonic Cycle" people who are gonna down this game regardless of its quality can also fuck off into the sunset?....

• Thumbs Up 9