Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Different fabrics have different tensions and sizes of knits that's going to affect how the fabric looks, and it doesn't necessarily indicate softness either. Not ever pair of white fabric gloves necessarily has to be made out of something visually smooth like silk or spandex. Sonic's gloves are probably just cotton or jersey instead. The most distracting thing about them- particularly in the trailer- is that the texture causes a bit of artifacts and jaggies to appear here and there. But I don't think a visual indication of a knit is all that unreasonable.

I just think it looks a bit rough, probably a combination of the knit and the lack of that fine, soft cotton fuzz you get on clothes. 

I kind of prefer Sonic to be relatively sparse in textural detail, so the slightly more detailed gloves (while not a deal-breaker as it's only obvious if you're looking at) aren't my thing.  It does work okay here, though, given that we're not in the same surrealist environment as, say, Colors or Lost World, but we're not in the same levels of realism as '06, either.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, with Summer of Sonic coming up soon, what's the likelihood we're getting a trailer or some form of gameplay teaser there? Has SEGA advertised at that event before hand (I'm sure it has, just can't remember what games it was for lol).

In terms of what I think about the game itself, it's too early to say. I like the darker tone they are going with (hopefully it doesn't end up at Sonic 06 levels of dark/cringe), The setting looks interesting enough, whole trailer gave off a very "meh" feeling to me, but that might just be how vague the trailer seemed to be. I'm not sure what to think of Classic Sonic showing up, I'd honestly rather Sonic Friends actually play a part in the game (though considering the line "Join the Resistance" we will most likely get friends anyway, which is good) I just hope they get good writers in this time (please not Pontac and Graff for the love of all that is holy) get a nice balance of dark/serious humor vs WITTY humor (not slapstick please good lord) good level design, polished gameplay and good setpieces and I'll be happy. Like I said before I really want some gameplay and more content on the game before I can decide how I feel towards the game but at the moment I feel mixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Classic Sonic moves like Modern Sonic with nerfed speed and parkour (aka the worst mechanic in Lost World), I'm just going to wish I was playing as Modern Sonic tbh. 

Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of an alternate gameplay style from Generations I'd like - Classic Sonic as an assist is dull, 'Adventure' style Sonic is close enough to Boost to be insignificant.

Maybe it'll be Sonic Monkey Ball, but I doubt it, and those 3D pinball games are pretty much the opposite of what I enjoy and understand Sonic to be. I'm conflicted!

If classic's gonna play like modern, I really just want both to have the general control of the Adventure games while modern Sonic has all of his extra moves from Unleashed, no more moving like a car in a drag race, please

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Man Lost World's parkour had problems but in what world is it "the worst mechanic" in the game?

The basic clinging to ledges stuff is fine, but wall-running, and switching between walls is just infuriating. It's a difficult maneuver compounded by the fact that Lost World (on the PC, at least), barely tells you how to do anything.  I, personally, hate it much more than everything other new thing they introduced in that game. It is my least favourite mechanic. 

The snowball and flying mechanics make the parkour seem like flowers and candy in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

It sucks that it wasn't explained at all, but I personally found it fun after getting used to how it works

• Thumbs Up 9

I can't speak for the PC version and it's true that Lost World is really bad at explaining its mechanics, but once you get a feel for it it's reliable enough and fun to use, IMO. The oneshot gimmicks like the snowball are where the game most falls apart.

• Thumbs Up 6

The snowball actually gave me the least trouble out of all the gimmick levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

On the topic of "Classic in 3D", I actually mentioned it in a status a while back.

Sonic in Lego Dimensions seems to be a 2.5D thing for the Green Hill level, loops, slopes and all working correctly. Even though it was 3D, Sonic still ran just as "classicly" on a 2D plane. Why not pull a "Mario 3D World" or "Crash Bandicoot" on Classic Sonic's levels, and have a 2D level played on a 3D plane? 

latest?cb=20130917054238

Ugh, I always bring up Crash on this forum, but my point is, wouldn't it be cool if Classic could jump into/receded further into areas like the cave in this screenshot? You wouldn't have to, but it would be something different.

As a concept, this Sonic Xtreme prototype was pretty cool. Sonic stays on a 2D path, but can move in 3D to reach other paths and areas. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The best thing about that would be that it would solve the issue of loops in 3D gameplay--with the camera already off to the side of a loop, it wouldn't need to shift to the side, and therefore going through the loop would be as simple as holding right (or just spindashing / boosting through it). No scripting or dash pads would be needed.

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Man Lost World's parkour had problems but in what world is it "the worst mechanic" in the game?

in lost world

I wouldn`t mind the franchise being rebooted and the games continuing with the classic cast to be honest. I think the reason Classic Sonic returns is because people consider Sonic`s modern design with failure since in the public eye the franchise started going downhill since he got it. At least that`s my point of view, it`s not that I want it to happen either I just wouldn`t mind if it did. I like all the 3 Sonic designs and I hope they won`t redesign the main Sonic again lol.

Speaking of Marza, it's one thing to note that the Sonic Office in the US resides with the US Marza offices now, and is also where Iizuka hangs out too. And Marza is getting involed in game graphics creation. Maybe Sonic 2017 will be part of that:

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/29/2016 at 3:11 PM, BenderMania said:

I would prefer Project 2017 to have only 3D levels. Especially as we now have a new 2d game in the form of Mania

I disagree here. I want much more 3d but a 2d section once a level is good. I always loved how it switched between 3d and 3d since unleashed came out and I would be sad to see that totally gone.

2 hours ago, ChikaBoing said:

Speaking of Marza, it's one thing to note that the Sonic Office in the US resides with the US Marza offices now, and is also where Iizuka hangs out too. And Marza is getting involed in game graphics creation. Maybe Sonic 2017 will be part of that:

God that environment looks amazing. I want a Sonic game that looks like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, TheLaw34 said:

I disagree here. I want much more 3d but a 2d section once a level is good. I always loved how it switched between 3d and 3d since unleashed came out and I would be sad to see that totally gone.

Yeah but we've had it for like 4 mainline sonic games in a row already and while it was cool in unleashed I haven't really felt too good about their inclusion since, generations was good but I didn't like having a dedicated 2D character already in the game along with having 2D for the actual 3D character. Its not going to be a dealbreaker or anything but i'd really like it if we had fully 3D levels again at least for one game.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, MegasonicZX said:

Yeah but we've had it for like 4 mainline sonic games in a row already and while it was cool in unleashed I haven't really felt too good about their inclusion since, generations was good but I didn't like having a dedicated 2D character already in the game along with having 2D for the actual 3D character. Its not going to be a dealbreaker or anything but i'd really like it if we had fully 3D levels again at least for one game.

I stick to what I said, yes turn it down from 50% to 10% but don't take it out completely. Or I think keeping it 3d but just having segments that have the camera on the side would do the job. Like what they did in supermario 3d land or perhaps in crash(I have not really plated crash). So I suppose I am arguing less for actual 2d and more varied camera angles.

Hey, this just sprung to my mind:

Isn't the Project 2017 trailer our first ever confirmation (or first strong, reliable hint, if you will) that the NX will likely be a pretty powerful console? Of course, they haven't said anything about this game having a handheld version, but...

Edited by Ajavalo

Not really, considering it was just a CGI trailer and not completely reflective of how it would look on an NX.