Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

8 hours ago, Spееdy said:

it's pretty logical from life point of view to have young Sonic of some sort. And Classic Sonic is considered as young Sonic for obvious reason and with also no specific age, he just represents young self of Sonic.

Or maybe some fans are trying to hard to make a canon between 2 different style versions of Sonic? What's next? Are people going to start calling classic Mickey Mouse the kid version of peach face Mickey? Unless I missed something SEGA hasn't flat-out said classic Sonic is the kid version of Sonic, just a simple line in Generations of classic Sonic being the past self of modern Sonic. and while it could be possible they changed the canon so classic Sonic is now his younger self... but unless they officially state it I'm not going to believe it.

Considering Classic Tails talks like a toddler in Generations and the heavy emphasis on Classic Sonic's youthful cuteness, I think it's pretty likely that they're intended to be younger

I don't like it either. What's worse is that lots of people have wanted to sort of fuse together classic and modern designs to form a Sonic that most everybody can appreciate. I'm sure you've all seen renders like this:

8wkth4.jpg

or better yet the concept design for SA1

latest?cb=20111226042044

A compromise like this isn't really possible anymore. If they did they'd just be creating a fourth Sonic that would just hang around the others. I know it was probably never going to realistically happen anyway, but I suppose it was still nice to have had the small, unknowing chance that something like this could have come to light at some point.

P.S. Since digging up these images, I'm realizing how ridiculous it is that the Sonic's were split up the way they were in the first place. Sonic has always looked like this. The Generations model was made so deliberately tiny and cute it's insane. It's still Sonic, but I can't for the life of me picture the classic Sonic from Generations doing Sonicy things, like posing in cool ways, or having any sort of attitude. It doesn't even feel like Sonic. I wonder why they chose to make him that way. 

• Thumbs Up 8

25 minutes ago, Apple Kid said:

I don't like it either. What's worse is that lots of people have wanted to sort of fuse together classic and modern designs to form a Sonic that most everybody can appreciate. I'm sure you've all seen renders like this:

8wkth4.jpg

or better yet the concept design for SA1

latest?cb=20111226042044

P.S. Since digging up these images, I'm realizing how ridiculous it is that the Sonic's were split up the way they were in the first place. Sonic has always looked like this. The Generations model was made so deliberately tiny and cute it's insane. It's still Sonic, but I can't for the life of me picture the classic Sonic from Generations doing Sonicy things, like posing in cool ways, or having any sort of attitude. It doesn't even feel like Sonic. I wonder why they chose to make him that way. 

If they got Nibroc-Rock to do the character renders for Project 2017, I'd be so happy. Classic Sonic could stop looking over-the-top cute and happy in this story that's possibly going to be extremely serious and dark.

I would remove more to reply to just that last part, but I keep tapping the save button and it won't save.

According to my info, Project Sonic 2017, it's being done since 2014. Looking for some old Sonic news, I've found this banner:

ps4game.jpg

Look at the 2015 TBA game. The consoles seems the same of Project 2017. The PS4 and Xbox One continues. The Wii U was substituted by NX (At that time, NX wasn't announced). After the PC version was announced.

Probably the game announce was delayed because Sonic Boom Fire & Ice.

Anyone tells me if this info is wrong or was posted here (I don't want to read 61 pages just to know about this).

1 minute ago, Solister said:

According to my info, Project Sonic 2017, it's being done since 2014. Looking for some old Sonic news, I've found this banner:

ps4game.jpg

Look at the 2015 TBA game. The consoles seems the same of Project 2017. The PS4 and Xbox One continues. The Wii U was substituted by NX (At that time, NX wasn't announced). After the PC version was announced.

Probably the game announce was delayed because Sonic Boom Fire & Ice.

Anyone tells me if this info is wrong or was posted here (I don't want to read 61 pages just to know about this).

It has been posted and it's probably true.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

To be honest, it kind of hurts my heart when people act like classic Sonic was just all "cute" and that they just started emphasizing coolness and attitude when he became modern. I just...no?? I know this is sorta subjective but I've always been able to tell just by looking at him that he was bursting with attitude and coolness, most definitely including the classic form.

I agree, I always knew Classic was a cool hedgehog with an attitude. I never even thought of him as cute until Generations rolled around, even then I just found him goofy and clumsy but never really questioned it, but it was really out of character. To me the best representation of Classic Sonic comes from the Sonic OVA.

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I love the render to pieces, but I don't think it could really be considered much of a hybrid between classic and modern, it really just looks 99% classic to me. For the most part it looks very accurate to a lot of the Japanese classic art.

500px-sonic-and-tails.png500px-sonic-the-hedgehog-cd.png

I'm pretty sure the only differences of any note at all are the curvature of the eye and the shoe buckle being gold. And maybe an infinitesimally small spike-lengthening, I honestly can't tell.

To be honest, it kind of hurts my heart when people act like classic Sonic was just all "cute" and that they just started emphasizing coolness and attitude when he became modern. I just...no?? I know this is sorta subjective but I've always been able to tell just by looking at him that he was bursting with attitude and coolness, most definitely including the classic form.

I agree. I think Sonic Team just made him cute in Generations. I would've preferred if they made him look like the design mentioned, and have the Sonic CD personality. I don't think they need to make him speak. Just make him the silent cool dude instead of this happy-go-lucky kid they made him in Generations (and so far, Project 2017.).

Something I noticed about the small animation is that Sonic showed alot more personality than I think he did in Generations. I could actually hear him saying "Come on! Let's go!" in my mind when he did that smile. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Apple Kid said:

8wkth4.jpg

This doesn't look like a hybrid to me. It just looks like Classic Sonic.

Hybrid in this case just means Classic Sonic poses like Modern Sonic...and possibly has the same nose and eye curve.

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Pretty much my thoughts verbatim. I always did silently raise a brow when Classic Sonic was sometimes only associated with cuteness and charm. The CD animated intro always stuck to me as the epitome of what Sonic truly is. A little woodland bad ass that just goes around doing his thing, and gets shit done when in need. You couldn't tell me otherwise.

yk4tE03.gif

(This never fails to give me chills)

In Generations, they do tend to show off his more whimsical side when around his modern self, which is most likely due to help differentiate the two more, but Classic's cool factor isn't completely forgotten in that game. Funnily enough, I think they best demonstrated this in the cutscene before Sonic rematches Metal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Sonic The Badass said:

I agree, I always knew Classic was a cool hedgehog with an attitude. I never even thought of him as cute until Generations rolled around, even then I just found him goofy and clumsy but never really questioned it, but it was really out of character. To me the best representation of Classic Sonic comes from the Sonic OVA.

The reason for that is because Sonic Team, being japanese, portrayed Classic Sonic as his original japanese incarnation. Let's not forget that when Oshima originally conceived him he wasn't supposed to have as much attitude as later when Madeleine Schroeder decided to emphasize that aspect of the character. Sega of Japan didn't even like the whole "90s attitude" thing Schroeder suggested at first.

That's my guess anyway.

15 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The fact that people are seriously trying to treat each "era" of Sonic as a different character bugs the shit out of me.

Scratch that, the fact that we're starting to refer to ourselves as "X" fans bugs me even more; like fuck. I hate this fan culture that we've cultivated lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure we all do. It's SEGA's fault for ultimately not even trying to keep Sonic's identity tightly consistent. Seriously, I get that after Sonic 3K Naka and Oshima didn't care much anymore, but would it kill Naka to freaking do his job as producer and make sure things don't get out of hand?

Even if I'm not that keen on Miyamoto nowadays I'll give him credit: At least he's still looking out for Mario to make sure no one tries to redesign an edgier Mario or something.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, pppp said:

Seriously, I get that after Sonic 3K Naka and Oshima didn't care much anymore, but would it kill Naka to freaking do his job as producer and make sure things don't get out of hand?

Didn't Naka leave Sonic Team years ago?

1 minute ago, Dizcrybe said:

Didn't Naka leave Sonic Team years ago?

Hum........Yes?.........We all know that.

What I'm saying is that between 1995 up until his departure in 2006 he kinda stopped caring about Sonic and allowed various unecessary gameplay changes and tone changes(Heroes wasnt even lighthearted, it was just retarded) that kept going till we arrived at the situation we are now in.

11 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I love the render to pieces, but I don't think it could really be considered much of a hybrid between classic and modern, it really just looks 99% classic to me. For the most part it looks very accurate to a lot of the Japanese classic art.

500px-sonic-and-tails.png500px-sonic-the-hedgehog-cd.png

I'm pretty sure the only differences of any note at all are the curvature of the eye and the shoe buckle being gold. And maybe an infinitesimally small spike-lengthening, I honestly can't tell.

Mm, I guess I just like dark blue Classic Sonic.

I didn't think classic was only ever cute, just that he didn't come off as cocky to me as Modern does.

3 hours ago, pppp said:

Hum........Yes?.........We all know that.

What I'm saying is that between 1995 up until his departure in 2006 he kinda stopped caring about Sonic and allowed various unecessary gameplay changes and tone changes(Heroes wasnt even lighthearted, it was just retarded) that kept going till we arrived at the situation we are now in.

What confused me was you asked that question as if he was still with ST, using present tense.

9 hours ago, pppp said:

Hmm, I wouldn't say that.

Naka was always a tech guy. He was all about engines and coding and pushing things. When the series made the jump to 3D, he buried his head in largely insignificant details such as ensuring Sonic's feet paced back and forth as fast as he did.

Even if Naka had the final say in where the franchise went - thats never was where he made his hay. Its not that he didn't care per say, but moreso that he didn't recognize the tailspin before it got out of hand - by that time it was too late.

• Thumbs Up 4

Holy cow, been meaning to post in this thread forever...anyone else think the city kind of resembles Spagonia from Sonic Unleashed?

11 hours ago, ヒーロー said:

Holy cow, been meaning to post in this thread forever...anyone else think the city kind of resembles Spagonia from Sonic Unleashed?

I think it looks kind of like a cross between Amsterdam, Netherlands and Crisis City. But Spagonia was also inspired by European cities if I recall correctly, so I see where you'd make the comparison.

(And before people presume the worst, I rather like the concept behind Crisis City, so I don't see any issue with having a stage with aesthetics like it in the new Sonic game.)

• Thumbs Up 2

So, what are you expecting this one to be like tonally? I'm expecting a game with aesthetics darker than anything we've seen post-06, but a narrative that's more lighthearted and something like Unleashed. 

2 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

So, what are you expecting this one to be like tonally? I'm expecting a game with aesthetics darker than anything we've seen post-06, but a narrative that's more lighthearted and something like Unleashed. 

I have no expectations at this point. One serious-looking level isn't really enough to determine what the overall tone of a game is going to be, and we haven't got any other content or information about the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I understand that mindset. What makes me more apt to make an expectation like that isn't the level, but the way the text was presented. Fading in with glowing embers rising, dark and gray, "darkest of times" and "resistance". Just the whole tone of the trailer really makes me feel like this is going to be an overriding theme of the game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If the game ends up being in the same tone as something like Lost World the entire trailer thats supposed to tease what we should be expecting would be completely false.