Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Agreed. I've pretty much accepted that classic sonic will be here with his own stages. My only hope is that they've made a game so big that it has a huge number of Modern levels regardless. And then they ditch Classic forever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, VolatileMike said:

Agreed. I've pretty much accepted that classic sonic will be here with his own stages. My only hope is that they've made a game so big that it has a huge number of Modern levels regardless. And then they ditch Classic forever. 

Does ditching Classic Sonic include any possible sequel to Mania and just ditching him in modern games, or do you mean that Classic Sonic will never be seen again in any game?

It would be preferable that Classic Sonic isn't a skin as his levels don't ruin the game. His gimmick just lowers a person's excitement, his gimmick is existing...along side Modern.

A Sonic Mania would be perfectly fine without this Generations 2 nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

Does ditching Classic Sonic include any possible sequel to Mania and just ditching him in modern games, or do you mean that Classic Sonic will never be seen again in any game?

Personally, I'd be fine if they completely dropped Classic. As much as I love him I view him as the past. But if they've got Taxman and Stealth making Classic games I'm more than happy to let them continue releasing Classic games as well as Modern, they've got my money. It seems like they've figured out how to handle Classic and Modern if they continue the pattern 2017 will have. 

The only other thing I can think of aside from another Time Travel plot would be dimensional hopping. Instead of Classic Sonic, that's actually AoSth Sonic and you can go to the SatAM, Underground, Sonic X, Archie, and Boom universes too.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

The only other thing I can think of aside from another Time Travel plot would be dimensional hopping. Instead of Classic Sonic, that's actually AoSth Sonic and you can go to the SatAM, Underground, Sonic X, Archie, and Boom universes too.

So dimensional hopping that could cause possible legal issues and cringe? I can only see Boom happening. But I think Sonic Team doesn't want to touch Boom with a mile long stick. Bringing it in with the main series would leave a bad taste in the peoples mouth. Honestly, I'm expecting nothing less than a mediocre plot that isn't worth thinking about or remembering until we either get more details on the plot (along with the gameplay pls) or they announce Pontaff has no part in it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Sonic The Badass said:

So dimensional hopping that could cause possible legal issues and cringe? I can only see Boom happening. But I think Sonic Team doesn't want to touch Boom with a mile long stick. Bringing it in with the main series would leave a bad taste in the peoples mouth. Honestly, I'm expecting nothing less than a mediocre plot that isn't worth thinking about or remembering until we either get more details on the plot (along with the gameplay pls) or they announce Pontaff has no part in it. 

I didn't say I was expecting that. It was a pretty whacked out joke. Who wouldn't expect a less than mediocre plot by this point?

I wish it were a dimension-hopping game, tbh. It'd explain away why Sonic can meet up with his past self in the normal world without causing paradoxes, or how they personally can even be getting together for a second go when the first game was pushing it far enough as-is time loop wise; all by merely making him a now adjacent-timeline alternate self. Plus it'd give Classic Sonic as a whole a different future for a series, and now that Mania's coming, it'd be a pretty neat thing.

It'd be a lot better than... Past self and present self running alongside each other as a normal, everyday occurrence, at least. :S

• Thumbs Up 1

I think putting Classic Sonic in a multiverse theory where the past that they are pulling him out of is from an alternate timeline would really help the plot. Plus giving him an alternate timeline means anything could happen in the future. This could be the classic that goes through Sonic Mania, and continues to be the main Classic Sonic for any other new releases. That would make Modern and Classic officially separate entities and not just an age difference between characters. It would be pretty cool to see. But if you're going to bring Classic into the present at least bring that bad ass 90s attitude with him. 

I just had a random thought: what if this game ends up having official mod support for consoles? Like what Bethesda have done for Fallout 4 (on XBONE at least) and are planning for Skyrim's remaster. The modding community for generations was great, imagine how cool this would be for people who don't have a good enough PC to play this game. 

43 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

I just had a random thought: what if this game ends up having official mod support for consoles? Like what Bethesda have done for Fallout 4 (on XBONE at least) and are planning for Skyrim's remaster. The modding community for generations was great, imagine how cool this would be for people who don't have a good enough PC to play this game. 

I mean, there isn't even official mod support on PC so thats not happening. When it comes to Bethesda they actually release mod tools for Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Sonic games we just figure out how they work by messing around with the games files. If Sega started releasing Mod Tools like Bethesda you'd see modders make progress a lot quicker. Bethesda has always been involved in the modding scene, they're the only company I see letting mod support happen on consoles. Even then from what I've heard about mods on consoles causing consoles to break I'm not so sure its a smart idea. People already know Sonic as the joke that makes bad video games. We don't need him to be known as destroyer of consoles while we're at it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is that the feature that allows you to let someone else play your game for you if you're stuck on a part or something? Was that ever really used?

4 minutes ago, Sonic The Badass said:

Is that the feature that allows you to let someone else play your game for you if you're stuck on a part or something? Was that ever really used?

Yeah, that was it. They give you an hour to use it.

I don't know how often it was used, though. I'll probably be using it more once Project 2017 is out. :P

1 minute ago, SonicEkkusu said:

Yeah, that was it. They give you an hour to use it.

I don't know how often it was used, though. I'll probably be using it more once Project 2017 is out. :P

What makes you think you'll get use out of it for project 2017?

5 minutes ago, Sonic The Badass said:

What makes you think you'll get use out of it for project 2017?

I can let PSN friends try the game, then they might buy it if they like it. I remember asking an online friend if he was gonna get a game, and he wanted to try it through Share Play. I never got to that since I was too busy.

On 26/08/2016 at 10:07 PM, Sonic The Badass said:

I mean, there isn't even official mod support on PC so thats not happening. When it comes to Bethesda they actually release mod tools for Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Sonic games we just figure out how they work by messing around with the games files. If Sega started releasing Mod Tools like Bethesda you'd see modders make progress a lot quicker. Bethesda has always been involved in the modding scene, they're the only company I see letting mod support happen on consoles. Even then from what I've heard about mods on consoles causing consoles to break I'm not so sure its a smart idea. People already know Sonic as the joke that makes bad video games. We don't need him to be known as destroyer of consoles while we're at it.

For what it's worth, in the recent big update, SEGA added mod/workshop support for SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics (the portal application through which all standalone purchased Mega Drive games are played on Steam).  A pretty bold move since (as far as I'm aware, I see lots of mods that were previously just downloadable roms on Sonic Retro, such as Sonic 3 Complete etc) they have literally 100% endorsed the creation and usage of rom hacks through doing this, which is very cool of them to be honest.

Anyway, the point being, we do have a PC Sonic product with official mod support out there now.  Console mod support is a big deal and unlikely, but it's not so 100% out of the question for PC anymore.  The question will be whether they bother to make any of the tools required easily accessible/usable or if they'll just leave it to the players with the know-how (as the mod support in MD&G Classics is).

• Thumbs Up 4

I've been thinking, I remember Aaron Webber was once asked if we'll see more playable characters at some point. (I forget if it was the event where Mania and 2017 were announced though. It definitely wasn't too long ago I don't think)

And his answer was something along the lines of, well let's just wait until we have Sonic down pat. And it's making me wonder if perhaps Sonic Team aren't completely satisfied with the boost formula, which I thought was quite a surprise since it's been received well for the most part. I've always been one who's believed that they'd stick to it, improving it slightly with each game, especially after they tried something different again with Lost World, and failed at that. I figured they'd stay safe and keep boost going. 

I'm not sure how I feel exactly, but the possibility of a new gameplay style is quite exciting for me. I mean, I know the teaser for this game looked very boosty and slidey, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The fact it's been almost 4 years since the last game, and the fact they didn't show any gameplay keeps my hopes up. If nothing else just replace the slide with a roll already. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

You know what I'd like to see more of? More flexible and well animated facial expressions. Something endearing about the Riders games or even something as small as noticing how Sonic's pupils would shrink in pain or fear whenever he got hurt in Smash Bros. kind of makes me want to see the games try out more squash and stretch techniques with the character's movements rather then just seeing their models kind of go with the motions.

I'm about to get some kind of technical lesson about why they don't or can't do it or something I'm sure.

No, I agree with you. Squash and stretch makes for really fluid animation. And small details like the shrinking eyes would be welcomed.

Too bad it won't appear here. From what I see, at least.

I wonder if Classic Sonic's appearance has anything to do with Sonic Mania, and separating the timelines of Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic?

I don't think Sonic Mania is connected to Sonic Project 2017, because if Mania is coming after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, wouldn't Modern Sonic remember the events of both games in the future. Personally it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm slow or something lol - but that's besides the point, the whole two games being connected just wouldn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, Joellui said:

I don't think Sonic Mania is connected to Sonic Project 2017, because if Mania is coming after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, wouldn't Modern Sonic remember the events of both games in the future. Personally it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm slow or something lol - but that's besides the point, the whole two games being connected just wouldn't make sense.

Well he didn't remember Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I wonder if Classic Sonic's appearance has anything to do with Sonic Mania, and separating the timelines of Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic?

By separating the timelines, do you mean treating Classic's and Modern's adventures as belonging to different continuities? If so, is there any evidence that they'll actually do that? I may have to do a mini-rage if that turns out to actually be a thing =P It's bad enough to present them as different characters, presenting them as belonging to different universes would be even more unfortunate...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

By separating the timelines, do you mean treating Classic's and Modern's adventures as belonging to different continuities? If so, is there any evidence that they'll actually do that? I may have to do a mini-rage if that turns out to actually be a thing =P It's bad enough to present them as different characters, presenting them as belonging to different universes would be even more unfortunate...

Yeah. That's what I mean. I don't actually have evidence, though. I'm just kind of grasping for straws.

I would honestly prefer to keep them in separate continuities. I never really liked the idea of Classic Sonic being young Sonic, but that's just my opinion. I always thought Modern and Classic were the same age, but Generations kind of messed that up and made Classic into a little kid.