Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

There is no point in pushing hype or interest from one Sonic game to another (particularly so because Mania and 2017 will be releasing on the same set of consoles) so I'd be shocked if the 3D game got any focus until after mania has shipped.

It would be nice to get a proper name for the thing in the meantime, but I'm not crossing my fingers for that any time soon either. Most we'll get is a Sonic Team exec giving a thumbs up to a camera while his work space is crammed with proto stuff we can make minimal heads or tails of.

Oh, and lots of cryptic gobbledygoop from the twitter account.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:16 AM, Ajavalo said:

How would you rank these ways to add content to a Sonic game, from the one you like the most to the one you like the least?

1-More levels.

2-More expansive levels, with alternate routes and exploration.

3-Multiple playable characters, including exclusive paths for each one.

4-Mission system, like SADX's Mission Mode or alternate objectives SA2/Heroes style.

5-Collectibles, like Red Rings or the gallery stuff in Unleashed (not required to advance the story).

6-Extra, non-story content (Chao Garden?).

All of them seem pretty good to me, so I can't decide a particular order.

honestly no matter what anyone says

I just want to play as shadow.

3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6

I want to play as Knuckles and Tails before SEGA put Classic Sonic in as a recurring playable character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Amy is pretty underrated. She is a part of the classic gang, even if Sonic and the others ignore/dislike her and she usually doesn't speak much. She still has a lot of important moments. Her gameplay in SADX could have been much better had she been polished up a little bit, and she was pretty fun and very unique in the Sonic Advance series. I'd really like it if Sega also let Amy be playable alongside Tails and Knuckles again. I'd love to play as Blaze again too, but I can't see that happening in the foreseeable future unfortunately. 

Also, it'd be much more interesting and fun if Classic Sonic had a personality like his mean and cool one in Sonic the Comic/OVA or his friendly one from the cartoons. I don't mind too much though, and I can see how some like Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For info: 

Iizuka just confirmed the following.

* Game will be released Holiday 2017.

* Not ready to give new info about it, not even a date as to when you can expect new info on it.

• Thumbs Up 8

Pretty sure we'll be getting more info about this sometime in 2017.

Fingers crossed that Pontac and Graff aren't working on the story for this...

• Thumbs Up 9

On September 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Fusion Flare said:

Wouldn't that actually be impressive if Pontac and Graff were working on this after people have been looking forward to a much more intense and gripping plot? (Provided that's actually what we're getting)

If they aren't working on this, and it's still as barebones as previous stories but with a darker tone, then what would that tell you?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Wouldn't that actually be impressive if Pontac and Graff were working on this after people have been looking forward to a much more intense and gripping plot? (Provided that's actually what we're getting)

If they aren't working on this, and it's still as barebones as previous stories but with a darker tone, then what would that tell you?

If this turns out to be good and if P and G are behind this, then okay that would be good.

If it's REALLY bad(something like a part of 06's story), and  done by someone else, then yeah that would be disappointing. However if the story was written neutral, some parts good, some parts bad, done by someone else, I would say the story was okay, could've been worse but didn't get to that...

Thing is after some good bits from Colors and Gens, I'm starting to feel that there's...a lot of jokes in these stories now that some aren't that good... I mean, some humor is fine but too much of it and things can get out of character.

Pontac and Graf are good writers, certainly better than whoever wrote the previous Sonic games.

You can argue that the characters are dumbed down and I would agree but the actual dialogue by Pontac and Graf is well written. It's certainly better written than the one sided conversations in previous Sonic titles where the characters simply talked at each other.

I hope Pontac and Graf are working on this one, I like their work :) .

The actual character traits of the cast and general plot aim is probably out of Pontac and Graf's hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Fusion Flare said:

If this turns out to be good and if P and G are behind this, then okay that would be good.

If it's REALLY bad(something like a part of 06's story), and  done by someone else, then yeah that would be disappointing. However if the story was written neutral, some parts good, some parts bad, done by someone else, I would say the story was okay, could've been worse but didn't get to that...

Thing is after some good bits from Colors and Gens, I'm starting to feel that there's...a lot of jokes in these stories now that some aren't that good... I mean, some humor is fine but too much of it and things can get out of character.

But the thing about that is they're not entirely calling the shots for the story, and people are only raging at them because they're the face of who's actually involved in writing it. That's not to say they don't have any responsibility for how they write the english script, but if they actually had full control over the writing who's to say they'd have made it that joke heavy?

Hell, I recall them saying they've been wanting to use the other characters a lot more, but yet they've been relegated to the sidelines. I'd find it hard to believe all the writing's problems are their fault.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye, P & G can only work with what they get from Japan, and writing is generally given quite low priority when developing any game so they aren't consulting on the projects. Yet, they get all the blame for no extra characters, light weight plots, goofy antics in cutscenes, etc.

Do they also write the stuff for Dimps? That might explain why Colours DS has tonnes of other characters in there. 

We've already seen what P&G can do when they have total control of the plot through Shattered Crystal's story, which by popular consensus was also written terribly. Someone else potentially writing badly doesn't absolve them of much, especially given the context during Colors' pre-release when people on the hype train were trying to extol the virtues of their writing by them being American (cuz that's not iffy) and having a resume on Happy Tree Friends and MadWorld. They came with expectations that other writers in the franchise didn't and have largely failed to live up to the hype.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

We've already seen what P&G can do when they have total control of the plot through Shattered Crystal's story, which by popular consensus was also written terribly. Someone else potentially writing badly doesn't absolve them of much, especially given the context during Colors' pre-release when people on the hype train were trying to extol the virtues of their writing by them being American (cuz that's not iffy) and having a resume on Happy Tree Friends and MadWorld. They came with expectations that other writers in the franchise didn't and have largely failed to live up to the hype.

Shattered Crystal is badly written partly because the Boom material is so terrible. Not excusing them, they fucked up on Shattered Crystal, that game is terribly written. But at least part of the blame has to based on the Boom mythos. How do you even make Boom Knuckles entertaining? It's hard because he's such a dumb character and the same goes for the entire mythos. No excuse though, they messed up with that title. They are still far better writers than what came before on balance though.

No, no one extolled Pontac and Graf because they were American. P&G were hyped because Sonic has always had terrible writers and P&G were a step up because of their resume (as you've said). They were hyped because Sonic was actually potentially getting good writers rather than the tripe the series saw for years.

And they aren't bad writers, they are good writers. The dialogue of Colours, Generations and Lost World are miles ahead of any Sonic script before that time. I'm not sure if the problem is more in the translation or just the script was always terrible, but Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, Shadow and 06 have absolutely godawful dialogue. 

STAFF EDIT: Ban dodger. Nothing to see here.

I really want a Sonic game were the characters can show their personalities, with better characterization, that's why I HOPE that Ian Flynn is doing the writing, because he is doing such a good job with characters like Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, Omega and Amy.

11 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Kiyoko Yoshimura. Funny enough. (S)he is the writer for Sonic 2006 too.

One of the writers along with the director for the game, Shun Nakamura, and Shiro Maekawa, who wrote Adventure 2 and Heroes' story.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:23 AM, Fusion Flare said:

IMO they have written better dialogue than earlier games (excluding SA2 to some extent), but I don't want to see sub-par dad jokes, overly cheesy and kiddy lines, or lame attempts to break the 4th wall (*cough* Sonic Colours). Those should be reserved, and reserved only for Boom. Their style of writing would be a perfect match for the cartoon, it's a shame that they don't write for it.

At least they don't put in their story "Get a load of this" every 5 fucking seconds in a boss fight, or "You know what they say, the more the merrier" every 2 seconds in a boss fight, or make a human, of all things, kiss Sonic to make him come back.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Sir Laptop said:

or make a human, of all things, kiss Sonic to make him come back.

This was very much not a decision that would be in the hands of Pontac and Graff. They only write the English dialogue, not the story. But I feel like this has been said a hundred times already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't know if someone already figured that out and posted it here, but

A friend of mine just showed me that in the Trailer, three pieces of rocks falls onto sonic's head - and their colors are Blue, Red, and Yellow.

Also, the tones of the rocks are exactly the ones from Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails. (put in slow motion to see it better)

I don't think they did that without any intentions.

What do you think? Maybe Sonic Team put this into the trailer to give us a hint about what is the "Resistance"... Hum...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cakito said:

A friend of mine just showed me that in the Trailer, three pieces of rocks falls onto sonic's head - and their colors are Blue, Red, and Yellow.

Also, the tones of the rocks are exactly the ones from Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails. (put in slow motion to see it better)

What do you think? Maybe Sonic Team put this into the trailer to give us a hint about what is the "Resistance"... Hum...

That actually was found a few days after the party. It could mean something but it could also just be a coincidence. We'll find out in time, I guess.

3 hours ago, Cakito said:

Why bother with hints? Especially ones as vague as having 3 different colored pieces of rubble. If they wanted to tell us Tails and Knuckles were involved, they could've just shown them.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Why bother with hints? Especially ones as vague as having 3 different colored pieces of rubble. If they wanted to tell us Tails and Knuckles were involved, they could've just shown them.

Hype builder? For fun? For saving some informations about some important stuff(this is a teaser)? For us creating speculations about it? 

I can totally see a game with Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails playable, with their classics counterparts playable as well. Also, that would make the Resistance thing a lot more sense.

And before someone says that these colors is just a part of the scenery, it's not - all colors in this destroyed city are completely different from the 3 rocks that are falling onto sonic's head. Also, just before this, Sonic slides under a bunch of wreck - all grey. All wreck in this town are grey... except for those 3.

And sorry for my bad english :P

10 hours ago, Cakito said:

I think there was a post here stating that the 3 rocks gave no hints what so ever...