Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

8 hours ago, Pixel said:

The Sonic franchise needs to go back to the roots of the original Classic Sonic titles where there was no dialogue or speaking. In particular, CD with its incredible atmosphere.

If Sonic Mania decides to have 2D animated cutscenes similar to CD or Riders, that would awesome.

If Sonic Project 2017 has a few cutscenes like the "Sonic & Chip" shorts and "Night of the Werehog", that would also be awesome.

Maybe if there was a Sonic game based on music and sound, not having any dialouge or voice acting would work. (Eggman took the world's sounds because reasons) However, for a Modern Sonic Anniversary Title, that would be a huge disappointment to me and no different from the Friend Rescued Cutscenes from Generations.

Don't think it really matters how the characters are portrayed to the audience, as long as they are properly executed, consistent and, most importantly, enjoyable. 

They can be as silent as a mouse or chatty like in the more recent games, as long as it is done well.

Sonic, or gaming franchises in general, can easily adapt to new methods of presentation as long as they are relevant to the portrayed character. 

Compare the Metroid Prime games to the more traditional 2D ones. Or all the different Mega Man games.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Or maybe they didn't find Tails and Eggman annoying. Probably because they were less prominent. 

I find that hard to believe given that they were as much the main characters along with Sonic and complain about the cast talking in general.

Even before Unleashed I'd argue no one else was as consistently good. Not perfect, to be sure, and '06 was a low point for him, but it was a low point for everyone and even that game only made him boring, not annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

For him it dropped in Heroes, Shadow, and Nex Gen, where his involvement in all 3 games was just unnecessary really and being blandly written because he wasn't the main villain. Yeah the 2006 game was a low point, but he was already dropping in writing quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Eggman's writing has never been anything than utterly impeccable for the entire duration of the series.

Sublime stuff.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the thing is Eggman isn't exactly the only character of this franchise as far as the voiced cast goes. He might not have anywhere near the scorn people give other characters, but he's more an exception to a lot of things to folks over talking characters.

Him constantly being sidelined and screwed over prior to Unleashed only did more favors for him given how sick people were of that.

That said, I'd still rather an extroverted and energetic character like Sonic to be voiced.

44 minutes ago, Joellui said:

I wanna know is since when did Sonic voice acting ever become a problem in the series?

The same time that everything else which was introduced to the series post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and quite a few things that were introduced before then too) became unspeakable abominations which should never be allowed to taint the franchise ever again, no matter how well received they had been beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well it's not like people didn't have any complaints about the series before then, you know. '06 was just the point that it became clear that the series wasn't just making occasional missteps that they'd correct soon, but that it was fundamentally broken.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well it's not like people didn't have any complaints about the series before then, you know. '06 was just the point that it became clear that the series wasn't just making occasional missteps that they'd correct soon, but that it was fundamentally broken.

No way. Everyone who dislikes Sonic is just unreasonable and we have to exaggerate everything about how they feel at every oppurtunity. It's how things work in this fanbase. Actually trying to think about why public reception was the way it was is too difficult so let's just be whiny and bitter about it all the time instead. :U

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, it's funny because, despite the sarcasm, that actually has a degree of truth to it given how fractured this fandom is and the trivial things that are fussed about.

Pre-2005 server wipe, I shit you not, we had a member complain about the mountains in Unleashed's Chun-nan stage being a depressing hue of grey next to the multi-colored platforms. I even remember that poster's name given he used to be a regular, but that's not something I'm gonna spill given how disrespectful and drama inciting it could be.

Just an example, mind you.

EDIT: Wait, I misread the above. My bad.:lol:

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

You know, it's funny because, despite the sarcasm, that actually has a degree of truth to it given how fractured this fandom is and the trivial things that are fussed about.

Pre-2005 server wipe, I shit you not, we had a member complain about the mountains in Unleashed's Chun-nan stage...

That's peculiar...how did people know what that stage looked like before 2005?

18 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's peculiar...how did people know what that stage looked like before 2005?

c9345dc7bc9a574fb449897bc175e3c87117e088

I mean 2009...holy FUCK, I cannot brain today...

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Gonna be real with you, a lot of Sonic fans are ever faithful to the SA-Heroes cast as having done no wrong but SA-Heroes were all pretty awfully written and voiced too, sorry.  I mean I love em to pieces, I'd welcome back Sonic, Rouge, Knuckles and Shadow's voice actors from that era back in particular with open arms (for individual reasons, out of those I only DISLIKE Shadow's voice currently), but the overall quality was bad and the denial of such is part of why SA/SA2 faithfuls cannot comprehend that there are people who don't think SA1/2 had deep dramatic plots.

I actually agree with you. I have nothing against the actors/actresses themselves, but I don't really think the original cast did a great job voicing the characters back then, and the writing for the series didn't help their performances much. They're probably my least favorite voice cast in the series. I wouldn't mind some of the VAs coming back, as I'm sure they would have improved from their SA-Heroes performances, but damn, they're really hard to listen to nowadays.

At least with the 4Kids cast, they did get better overtime, and with the current cast, they were already pretty decent for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Gonna be real with you, a lot of Sonic fans are ever faithful to the SA-Heroes cast as having done no wrong but SA-Heroes were all pretty awfully written and voiced too, sorry.  I mean I love em to pieces, I'd welcome back Sonic, Rouge, Knuckles and Shadow's voice actors from that era back in particular with open arms (for individual reasons, out of those I only DISLIKE Shadow's voice currently), but the overall quality was bad and the denial of such is part of why SA/SA2 faithfuls cannot comprehend that there are people who don't think SA1/2 had deep dramatic plots.

To be fair, much like Final Fantasy X(That game had a fantastic cast of actors), SA-Heroes suffered from horribly translated scripts and awful voice direction.

I would love to hear those actors working with the quality of voice direction and translation the series has right now.

• Thumbs Up 7

Don't want to get folk's hopes up. But it looks like the NX will be revealed soon, what're the chances Nintendo would include a sneak peak of this as part of their third party showing?

44 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Don't want to get folk's hopes up. But it looks like the NX will be revealed soon, what're the chances Nintendo would include a sneak peak of this as part of their third party showing?

I doubt we'll see much of anything prior to Mania's release. A few teasers here and there perhaps, but nothing big until then. I'd love to be wrong, however.

19 hours ago, Joellui said:

I wanna know is since when did Sonic voice acting ever become a problem in the series?

Ever since video game news sites said they were.