Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

If the Switch version of the game turns out different, I doubt it would be that drastic. Probably just astethics.

The only reason Unleashed turned out like this was because of the support for the PS2. If that had been dropped, I highly think that the Wii version would have turned out more similar to its HD counterpart. 

This the reason i'm not quite fond of the term "Unwiished" that's been tossed around. 

11 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

The Switch is going to be a fair bit out from PS4/XBO power; for a rough estimate of what we're dealing with, Digital Foundry did a great look into things: 

Actually, that's inaccurate, since Switch has basically the third descendent of the X1( an extremely modified X2), and the Devkits are over clocked. Okay, they point out it's a possibility, but if they are using the X2, then the Switch is going to be about on par with base PS4/Xbone. And that's all it needs (if even). Fact is most modern game engines like Unreal are designed for scaling. Stuff like Injustice 2 is extremely likely around launch, and if it sells well(the Switch I mean) the odds of many multiplat Unreal games coming over are likely.

Not to mention the Switch version is likely the base version

9 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Actually, that's inaccurate, since Switch has basically the third descendent of the X1( an extremely modified X2), and the Devkits are over clocked. Okay, they point out it's a possibility, but if they are using the X2, then the Switch is going to be about on par with base PS4/Xbone. And that's all it needs (if even). Fact is most modern game engines like Unreal are designed for scaling. Stuff like Injustice 2 is extremely likely around launch, and if it sells well(the Switch I mean) the odds of many multiplat Unreal games coming over are likely.

Not to mention the Switch version is likely the base version

They confirm it's X1 in the current devkits. Given they got just about everything else about the Switch right, I'm assuming the custom NVIDIA Tegra in the Switch (which we have no concrete details on right now, afaik) isn't going to be hitting PS4/XBO power; even if it did, that would bode pretty damn badly for battery life, and the current rumour mill speculates it's already pretty naff (3 hours). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

They confirm it's X1 in the current devkits. Given they got just about everything else about the Switch right, I'm assuming the custom NVIDIA Tegra in the Switch (which we have no concrete details on right now, afaik) isn't going to be hitting PS4/XBO power; even if it did, that would bode pretty damn badly for battery life, and the current rumour mill speculates it's already pretty naff (3 hours). 

The Rumor mill speculates the DEV KIT lifespan is 3 hours, know what other system's devkit had a 3 hour lifespan? the 3DS. Also, one of the things that NVidia boasts is that the newer chip conserves energy better in base form(not to mention it'll be underclocking in handheld form). Personally I'd say wait and see and Digital Foundry also said everything they've said is speculation and they also say it's extremely likely it could be using the X2(which could have been developed expressly for the switch).

17 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

The Rumor mill speculates the DEV KIT lifespan is 3 hours, know what other system's devkit had a 3 hour lifespan? the 3DS. Also, one of the things that NVidia boasts is that the newer chip conserves energy better in base form(not to mention it'll be underclocking in handheld form). Personally I'd say wait and see and Digital Foundry also said everything they've said is speculation and they also say it's extremely likely it could be using the X2(which could have been developed expressly for the switch).

Then given the devkits supposedly use the Tegra X1, sticking a more powerful GPU in the retail units is only going to make battery life worse than the 3 devkit hours if anything, no matter how good at energy conservation it is. 3 hours is a fair guess, maybe 4 hours at most in the retail build. Even then, the 3DS battery life basically is 3 hours, give or take half an hour or so.

I reckon the Switch could get a serviceable port of PS4/XBO's Sonic 2017, but it's absolutely going to be a way off from those versions. I don't think essentially a portable XBO with good battery life is feasible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Then given the devkits supposedly use the Tegra X1, sticking a more powerful GPU in the retail units is only going to make battery life worse than the 3 devkit hours if anything, no matter how good at energy conservation it is. 3 hours is a fair guess, maybe 4 hours at most in the retail build. 

I reckon the Switch could get a serviceable port of PS4/XBO's Sonic 2017, but it's absolutely going to be a way off from those versions. I don't think essentially a portable XBO with good battery life just is feasible. 

There's a lot of technology breakthroughs that seem unfeasible, partially because technology has been improving at an exponential rate, your calculator has more processing power than Apollo 11. Your laptop is more powerful than a Supercomputer in the 90's that took up an entire room. The new processing method NVIDIA is using is not only more powerful and faster than the type Xbone uses(it's called Pascal, look it up, it's about 5 or more times powerful than the comparitive maxwell unit the XBONE uses), but it also uses far less energy. We are talking about a company who's specialty is handheld processing units, who have made something so that they can try and push into the game market.

Also, in case you haven't see it, here's the actual NVIDIA press release

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

NVIDIA Technology Powers New Home Gaming System, Nintendo Switch

The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.

But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.

A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

The Nintendo Switch will be available in March 2017. More information is available at https://www.nintendo.com/switch.

Which expressly says it isn't the X1, now whether it's a X1.5 or a X2(which hasn't been released in a commericial product yet, perhaps since it's currently dedicated to Switch production?) is another matter, but the devkits/X1 specs aren't the only things we can go off of, and Nintendo is the master of refining tech

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

There's a lot of technology breakthroughs that seem unfeasible, partially because technology has been improving at an exponential rate, your calculator has more processing power than Apollo 11. Your laptop is more powerful than a Supercomputer in the 90's that took up an entire room. The new processing method NVIDIA is using is not only more powerful and faster than the type Xbone uses(it's called Pascal, look it up, it's about 5 or more times powerful than the comparitive maxwell unit the XBONE uses), but it also uses far less energy. We are talking about a company who's specialty is handheld processing units, who have made something so that they can try and push into the game market.

Apollo 11 was 47 years ago. The Xbox One is 3 years old. I'd be damn concerned if there wasn't a huge leap in tech in 47 years, yeah. Not so much in 3 years.

Pascal's better than Maxwell, but that doesn't magically make the Switch more powerful than a full console on its own; Tegra is for mobile units, it's not supposed to take on a home system, custom chip or not. A mobile unit is inherently going to be less powerful than something like the Xbox One, lest it suffers through battery life and cooling, and that's bearing in mind Switch supposedly has active cooling. 

Tegra X1, X2, or whatever, it's not going to hit XBO power in a mobile unit. Else we're looking at something insanely expensive.

Also I would not call Nintendo the "masters of refining tech" at all. Like, blimey. :v

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Apollo 11 was 47 years ago. The Xbox One is 3 years old. I'd be damn concerned if there wasn't a huge leap in tech in 47 years, yeah. Not so much in 3 years.

Pascal's better than Maxwell, but that doesn't magically make the Switch more powerful than a full console on its own; Tegra is for mobile units, it's not supposed to take on a home system, custom chip or not. A mobile unit is inherently going to be less powerful than something like the Xbox One, lest it suffers through battery life and cooling, and that's bearing in mind Switch supposedly has active cooling. 

Tegra X1, X2, or whatever, it's not going to hit XBO power in a mobile unit. Else we're looking at something insanely expensive.

Also I would not call Nintendo the "masters of refining tech" at all. Like, blimey. :v

Actually the tech in the Xbone is closer to 5 years old, most standard consoles(especially PC boxes) are generally based off the tech when they go into refinement(1-2 years prior to launch) especially when they use standard tech. For once a Nintendo system is using modern tech, that has been developed in the last 2 years, and if you want a power comparison look at the NVIDIA high end pcs released in the last year and a half all based off of Pascal tech. Also techs been moving much faster, look at how quickly terabyte harddrives have become cheap whereas 5 years ago they were huge specialty items. and yes it's going to be weaker in handheld mode, they will serious under clock it, but in dock mode, like most laptops power usage and power levels can become much higher

More than anything, the battery would be nothing short of diabolical if they tried to exceed PS4/XB1. If they pulled it off, hats off to them, I just doubt it.

Well, that just confirms it being another Boost game.

I have no complaints there, since I like the Boost gameplay, but I really hope that new element changes the game up in a good way, because it was perfectly fine in Generations.

Also, "It's not a sequel" my ass. It sounds like it's going to be like Generations, but with new levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, suffice to say I didn't see that coming but I really hope the Boost gameplay doesn't feel as automated and shallow as the previous iterations. Just give me that sexy Advance 2/3 Boost Mode.

Spoiler

gonna cry that the parkour dream is dead ;-;

• Thumbs Up 5

Maybe we'll get parkour incorporated into the boost somehow. That was honestly my first thought.

Another thought I had was maybe Classic Sonic will get the boost like everyone is saying he might. I'll just wait and see. :P

So it's a boost game, huh? :/

I mean, I'll probably still have fun with it, but it's not something I would want to become standard so it still is a little disappointing.

At least we can hope that the fixed Classic Sonic's physics.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, as far as I can make out from the mangled machine translation, it doesn't actually confirm that the boost gameplay is back, just that Classic is basically as he was in Gens, Modern is in 3D, and there's probably some new gimmick.

I still expect it will be the boost gameplay, though.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, the wording doesn't say a return to boos at all, instead it says a new element, which could very well be a different take on parkour perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing seems to really set outright it'll use the boost system. Vague as it is,  it only seems to rally confirm Classic being back in the style of Gens,  which we already knew. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I did say it was naff machine translation to be fair. :v

Anywho, I'd say folks are right. I'd wait for a more accurate translation before acting like it's confirmed.

I think it's pretty obvious this game will be another boost title. However, I've really been thinking about what's in store for the more distant future. Like, after Project 2017.

I think Sonic Team's sort of worked themselves into a corner with the boost formula. It's a lot of hard work, for not a lot of content. All the while not being a great fit for characters that aren't Sonic. I feel like Iizuka was genuinely surprised when he heard the outcry from the fans after he had asked if they were glad Knuckles and Tails were back for Mania in that event where Mania and 2017 were revealed. I remember him just going ''Wow''.

I feel that with how much they're using classic Sonic's image on social media, the overwhelming positive reactions to Mania, and even with how popular Green Hill Paradise was, and on top of that there's Sonic Utopia which has everyone talking. Heck, Yuji Naka himself even shared it on Twitter. Anyway, I feel that Sonic Team might be beginning to... I guess understand what Sonic should really be. Like, getting a real idea as to what Sonic's image really is. I think Project 2017 was sort of the result of not knowing where to take things after the success of Generations, and the failure of Lost World. Maybe they didn't know what else to do, but they knew they needed something. So what's the easiest, most likely thing that would succeed? Generations 2. I mean, most people loved the first one. Just do it again until they really know what's up. Yeah yeah, not Generations 2 in name, but certainly in spirit.

While I definitely don't think the modern Sonic design is going anywhere, or getting replaced by his classic image or anything like that. Though I do believe that they are going to try and take Sonic in a different direction after this. Maybe in a direction where Tails and Knuckles can shine more brightly. In a direction where the game feels huge and adventurous and whimsical. In a direction where Sonic feels like he should. 

But I think that stuff will come after project 2017. I'm still super excited for this game. I love the implied darker tone, I love the idea of getting another game with a story like the Adventure games. And I love this feeling of having no idea what to expect.

Still though, I would like to see Sonic become more focused and have a real proper image. I'd like people to be able to talk about Sonic and know exactly what he is and what to expect and not laugh about the time he had a sword, or the time he turned into a werewolf. It'd be cool if there would be a time in the future where whenever Sonic is brought up, people will know it'll be a good time. Man, I don't know.

I don't want to sound like I don't enjoy Sonic or I haven't liked the different directions he's gone in. I love Sonic Adventure, to this day it's still one of my favorite games of all time. I feel the same about Sonic Heroes. To me Sonic Unleashed is a masterpiece. I really enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings. I had fun with Shadow the Hedgehog. I bought a ps3 specifically for Sonic 06 back in like 2007 or 8 when I knew everyone hated the game, and I still liked it. I love Sonic, I always have and I always will. But I still won't deny that even the "good" Sonic titles like Colors and Gens aren't really in the same league as games like Super Mario Galaxy, or Donkey Kong Country Returns, or whatever. And I really think that going in a direction where games look and feel more like Sonic Utopia or Green Hill Paradise would be a big step in achieving a real AAA gold star grandiose game. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore wooey  

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I did say it was naff machine translation to be fair. :v

Eh,  it's not your fault,  just that the inevitable overstepping assumptions were made off of your witnessed statement. No biggie. 

So it's going to have same 2 act structure as Generations? Hmm, not sure how to feel about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly fine with this 2D and 3D thing. I just hope that this is the last time it happens, since I feel like the 2.5D has been used for forever. I just hope that Modern Sonic gets to be in full 3D this time instead of Classic having 2D, and Modern having 3D with 2D sections.

Since people are all doom and gloom "it will be the end of Sonic if this game is bad" it's probably just smart to play it safe again using the 2D and 3D idea of one of their most positively-received games.

The main thing I'd still like to know, though, is if the Modern Sonic stages in this game are gonna have the boost formula, or if they plan on doing something else.

Still sounds really similar to Generations. Hopefully, there will be enough new stuff added to it, so it won't feel like a rehash of some sorts.