Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Now see, that's tricky...

I... Highly doubt it's going to play like Generations at all. It may follow a similar stage layout but the game play itself I feel isn't going to be boost centric anymore.

It's hard to explain but... The reveal trailer does AND doesn't point to Generations game play... Someone else might feel the same and be better at explaining than me. I feel like it might be more... 06/Lost World with some mach speed element involved perhaps...

Considering Sonic Team's penchant for altering the formula every new game I'm inclined to agree with you. I was only suggesting it in the event it might wind up playing like Generations again.

Nothing about the trailer doesn't look like a boost game. That doesn't confirm beyond reasonable doubt that it is one, but I don't see much reason to suspect otherwise at this point.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Nothing about the trailer doesn't look like a boost game. That doesn't confirm beyond reasonable doubt that it is one, but I don't see much reason to suspect otherwise at this point.

Mainly the spin-dash element has me feeling/hoping otherwise and the fact Sonic didn't boost in mid-air to avoid the debris.

He seems... Slower/weaker in the trailer, and the burst of speed at the end didn't feel like a boost either.

(Edit)

I can't help but feel there's going to be some problems with how fans react to Mania compared to P17 at this event. It's a situation where you know there's going to be the greatest cake ever made offered, but you can only eat it if you also eat something unfamiliar the world has never seen before afterwards...

Will it be good? Will it be bad? Will it live up to the cake? Or will it make you forget how good the cake was...?

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mainly the spin-dash element has me feeling/hoping otherwise

They could add a spindash to the boost gameplay, but it wouldn't change much about how it played. He doesn't even do a proper spindash, he just briefly rolls as he transitions from slide to boost.

and the fact Sonic didn't boost in mid-air to avoid the debris.

So he could be saved by Classic Sonic. He had to slip up somewhere for the kind of reveal they wanted, and it makes sense to have him be off the ground where his options are at least limited.

and the burst of speed at the end didn't feel like a boost either.

How does it not? It's a sudden burst of running speed while surrounding him in a blue aura.

I mean, look at Generations' teaser trailer. It doesn't mimic every detail of the boost gameplay (no boost aura, some fancy flips and somersaults you can't actually do), but you still clearly see Unleashed Day gameplay staples like sliding, drifting, the boost itself, and narrow hallway-style level design, and to no one's surprise Modern Sonic's gameplay was almost identical to Unleashed Day gameplay. We're seeing practically the same thing here; boost, slide, quickstep-like dodges, all down a narrow street, the only differences all minor, likely just embellishments or tweaks to look nicer as a trailer.

And again I'm not taking this as absolute proof, until we actually see gameplay footage there's still the possibility they'll throw us for a loop, but if the trailer is saying anything about the gameplay the smart money's on it being more boost gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

They could add a spindash to the boost gameplay, but it wouldn't change much about how it played. He doesn't even do a proper spindash, he just briefly rolls as he transitions from slide to boost.

So he could be saved by Classic Sonic. He had to slip up somewhere for the kind of reveal they wanted, and it makes sense to have him be off the ground where his options are at least limited.

How does it not? It's a sudden burst of running speed while surrounding him in a blue aura.

I mean, look at Generations' teaser trailer. It doesn't mimic every detail of the boost gameplay (no boost aura, some fancy flips and somersaults you can't actually do), but you still clearly see Unleashed Day gameplay staples like sliding, drifting, the boost itself, and narrow hallway-style level design, and to no one's surprise Modern Sonic's gameplay was almost identical to Unleashed Day gameplay. We're seeing practically the same thing here; boost, slide, quickstep-like dodges, all down a narrow street, the only differences all minor, likely just embellishments or tweaks to look nicer as a trailer.

And again I'm not taking this as absolute proof, until we actually see gameplay footage there's still the possibility they'll throw us for a loop, but if the trailer is saying anything about the gameplay the smart money's on it being more boost gameplay.

I have a feeling that next to Classic Sonic being in the game, (strange as it sounds to be a BAD thing), finding the boost returning may be a second thing that only serves to cause discontent and (again, strange as it sounds) cause a loss in sales.

Boost was reaching the point of universal panning as Solo Sonic has by and large. It's not a complete rejection, but it's not a stretch to say more would rather see it having served its time than wanting to experience it again.

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I have a feeling that next to Classic Sonic being in the game, (strange as it sounds to be a BAD thing), finding the boost returning may be a second thing that only serves to cause discontent and (again, strange as it sounds) cause a loss in sales.

Boost was reaching the point of universal panning as Solo Sonic has by and large. It's not a complete rejection, but it's not a stretch to say more would rather see it having served its time than wanting to experience it again.

On this forum, maybe, but like it or not in the mainstream the Boost-style is still seen as the best thing to happen to Sonic in years. Neither that nor Solo Sonic has been universally panned anywhere except in diehard fan forums like this one.

Sonic Team tried something different with Lost World and it was a disaster on both fronts.

Like it or not, the boost gameplay was well-received by both gamers and critics alike, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Sonic Team decides to take refuge in it again after Lost World's gameplay style was panned.

• Thumbs Up 5

I mean, I'm not too much of a fan of it, but I'd rather have the Boost come back if only to stabilize this franchise's reception. Even then, it's not really the worst thing in the world than it is something that might get old really quick with nothing to come back to -- low replay value isn't exactly that big a mark against a game compared to if the game itself is considered bad or good.

8 hours ago, Azoo said:

You're thinking of a section (and not even too terribly big of one) of the inner hardcore fanbase when saying that.

The casual audience and most fans actually continuously praise the boost gameplay, and they also are more than okay with classic Sonic coming back. Generations was wildly successful and people who played Lost World were asking why they changed the gameplay when they were "getting it so right". Regardless of how right or wrong people may find them for that, most people are pretty okay with where the series is going, gameplay and pandering wise.

That said, another boost game is the least of my problems and worries. If it plays well, it plays well. Boost or Adventure or anything in between or whatever. I'd prefer SA gameplay esque stuff, but still.

Actually i've seen a lot of people outside of the fanbase... not liking boost gameplay. I've also seen a lot of people outside of the base... not liking the whole pandering thing. 

I Would really say most, there are a good deal of people who like colors more than they like generations, and same is said for the opposite. And then liking those things doesn't mean they liked everything about.  Then your statements also ignores how they might feel about " pandering" after the last few games they have released at this point.  So most seems... anecdotal. Less of a shit show might be a more accurate statement. 

And i've seen a lot of people including game reviewers gow back and retroactively shit on this " got it right sonics" so you still can' win. 

To suggest that " most people are happy" with where the series is going, suggests that there is a " most people" , and for sonic at least in this regard, I don't think that exists. Its why at least in my ancidotal evidenice... the reaction t othe 2017 trailer was what it was. Some people complaining it was too serious, some complaining it was light heated enough. But the biggest two complaints was " why do I need or care about this game, you gave me a new classic sonic game" and " why is classic sonic in this trailer" I've heard both critcisms particularly the first one, made by folks, not apart of the fanbase. 

Not forgetting the fact that the fanbase, because of all these different-styled games as of late, has become so fragmented that it only makes it harder and harder for ST to produce a game that may fall right on a nice number of fans and/or customers.

10 minutes ago, XRick said:

Not forgetting the fact that the fanbase, because of all these different-styled games as of late, has become so fragmented that it only makes it harder and harder for ST to produce a game that may fall right on a nice number of fans and/or customers.

...SEGA of America and Whitehead just did it without any problem...

• Thumbs Up 8

Even Mania had a good number of people worried/pissed off before '17's trailer showed they were working on something for Modern fans too.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:55 PM, Jango said:

Eh... Expected. As long as something like the 30 seconds time trial (online) make a return, we'll survive.

Apparently online features on the Switch are still being debated for Mania so it might not happen for P17 either, not on the Switch at least but we'll see.

(Edit)

Liked this video, figured worth putting here.

(Edit 2)

Just thought of this theory.

Upon the reveal trailer being shown to fans, Mr. Iizuka made sure to emphasize that the upcoming title isn't a sequel to Sonic Generations at all.

That being the case...

What if the version of Classic Sonic we see isn't from the past of the GAME canon we saw in Generations, but is actually a younger incarnation of Sonic from the Satam/Archie universe instead?

Given the designs of the robots, the apocalyptic setting, and the whole "Even Heroes Need Help" line, what if the upcoming title is actually the game to bring the two franchises together in a special one-off title?

Considering the reboot/redesigns in the comics, is it a possibility out of reach? What do you think? If it's not a sequel, maybe that's not the same Classic Sonic we think it is...

...Or maybe the case is that's not the same Modern Sonic we think it is instead...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bringing here the discussion about the Switch version.

Some are saying that the Nintendo Switch may not be powerful enough to handle the main version of Project Sonic 2017. Why not? I don't think it will be too much more demanding than games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey, which run perfectly fine. And the game isn't made specifically for the Pro or the Scorpio, so their extra power is out of the matter.

On 2/15/2017 at 3:00 PM, Chris Knopps said:

Apparently online features on the Switch are still being debated for Mania so it might not happen for P17 either, not on the Switch at least but we'll see.

(Edit)

Liked this video, figured worth putting here.

(Edit 2)

Just thought of this theory.

Upon the reveal trailer being shown to fans, Mr. Iizuka made sure to emphasize that the upcoming title isn't a sequel to Sonic Generations at all.

That being the case...

What if the version of Classic Sonic we see isn't from the past of the GAME canon we saw in Generations, but is actually a younger incarnation of Sonic from the Satam/Archie universe instead?

Given the designs of the robots, the apocalyptic setting, and the whole "Even Heroes Need Help" line, what if the upcoming title is actually the game to bring the two franchises together in a special one-off title?

Considering the reboot/redesigns in the comics, is it a possibility out of reach? What do you think? If it's not a sequel, maybe that's not the same Classic Sonic we think it is...

...Or maybe the case is that's not the same Modern Sonic we think it is instead...?

Or , he was fibbing and it is just generations 2

I don't trust sega much

24 minutes ago, Scar said:

I doubt its a direct sequel to Generations, but its probably going to be a 'spiritual successor'.

Dunno...

Only way I'd not consider it a sequel in some way is if, again, one of the versions of Sonic shown, or both, aren't the ones we think they are.

2 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Stand-alone sequel. That's what it is. Let's be honest here. Gens 2 name but different plot.

I suppose I could see them making three branches.

2D Branch

3D Branch

Generations/Crossover Branch

...So that means everybody wins?

7 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I suppose I could see them making three branches.

2D Branch

3D Branch

Generations/Crossover Branch

...So that means everybody wins?

Why do we need a separate branch for crossovers? that's pretty dumb.

I mean, unless we consider spinoffs as a separate branch, which is also pretty dumb.

butheyeveryonewinsespeciallywithboomandarchiegonenobodycaresaboutthemanywaylmao

• Thumbs Up 3

Bringing two universes (games+HQs/whatever) together would only confuse the overall casual public. I mean, most of my friends that played and liked generations, now think that Boom sonic is the new-sonic design. They don't even know that Sonic have a HQs's spin-offs...

• Thumbs Up 2

they don't just said that it wasn't a sequel, but emphatised on "it's a brand new experience", with this in mind i don't see a generations-esque game coming out of this, actually i don't have a clue about what to expect, but i do like the idea of merging universes. (maybe nega shows up? or not...)