Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

56 minutes ago, NikoS said:

they don't just said that it wasn't a sequel, but emphatised on "it's a brand new experience", with this in mind i don't see a generations-esque game coming out of this, actually i don't have a clue about what to expect, but i do like the idea of merging universes. (maybe nega shows up? or not...)

I'm pretty sure any game developer ever would say their sequel game was a brand new experience if you asked them, so it's best to not assume anything is off the cards regarding how similar it could be to Generations in gameplay (not that I'd have any issue if it was).

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

I'm pretty sure any game developer ever would say their sequel game was a brand new experience if you asked them, so it's best to not assume anything is off the cards regarding how similar it could be to Generations in gameplay (not that I'd have any issue if it was).

It has the same game play, so that's a sequel...

The story is new, so that's not a sequel...

The same characters are partnering up a second time, so that's a sequel...

The locations are new, so that's not a sequel...

...It's not a sequel, but it IS a sequel. Some aspects are not a sequel, but other aspects are a sequel.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...It's not a sequel, but it IS a sequel. Some aspects are not a sequel, but other aspects are a sequel.

I know right? Sonic Adventure 2 is a strange sequel.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think sequels generally have new stories.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I think sequels generally have new stories.

But we all know that Free Riders is obviously the true sequel to Heroes!

Spoiler

the joke is that both games had the exact same story and plot twists and even the near exact same characterization issues as well OMFG!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Soni said:

But we all know that Free Riders is obviously the true sequel to Heroes!

Hide contents

the joke is that both games had the exact same story and plot twists and even the near exact same characterization issues as well OMFG!

I can see Amy being an insufferable brat in both, but I don't recall Shadow and Rouge being complete assholes in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

I can see Amy being an insufferable brat in both, but I don't recall Shadow and Rouge being complete assholes in Heroes.

That's why I said NEAR exact same characterization issues and not THE exact same characterization issues.

Spoiler

also I kind of Amy in Heroes anyway so yeah lel

1 hour ago, Bowbowis said:

Was the characterization bad in Free Riders?

I never played it due to it being yet another title ruined by SEGA's weakness with "OMG DA NEW GIMMICK!!" basically.

06 was ruined in part by the Wii Remote, then Riders was ruined by the Kinect.

The day SEGA no longer falls for a pair of shiny keys dangling before their face is the day I get on the ground and kiss a cow patty.

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I never played it due to it being yet another title ruined by SEGA's weakness with "OMG DA NEW GIMMICK!!" basically.

The day SEGA no longer falls for a pair of shiny keys dangling before their face is the day I get on the ground and kiss a cow patty.

Yep, it wasn't the best. Shadow and Rouge were downright mean in the story, Amy was all about Sonic and Vector was all about money. Didn't recall much outside of those 4 but Team Sonic, Team Babylon and Cream were fine.

And you do have a point about how SEGA just wanted to make Sonic games based on whatever gimmick consoles had, it was never really about making quality games. Just throwing in a disposable half-baked experiment and cheapening the brand name.

andpeopleateituplmao

2 hours ago, Jango said:

So you're saying.... SONIC THE HEDGEHOG VR?

SEGA: Experience all that motion sickness today! Gotta throw up fast!

Sign me up! I'm always on the lookout for more AAA games that work with my PlayStation VR headset. :P

Seriously though, from what I understand the main problem with motion sickness in VR today is the result of a sensory contradiction. Your eyes tell your brain that you're moving through a space but your inner ear (which helps to control balance) tells your brain that you're staying perfectly still. It's this conflicting sensory data which is enough to make anyone queasy if they play the wrong VR games.

Even so, VR technology and VR gaming is getting better every day. It won't be much longer before VR headsets become an increasingly common sight in households across the world. To that end, I think that Sonic Team would do well to experiment with VR technology if the opportunity arises. Even something like a floating VR camera, that moves with Sonic in a third-person view, could enhance Project Sonic 2017 and other future Sonic games.

11 hours ago, Soni said:

That's why I said NEAR exact same characterization issues and not THE exact same characterization issues.

Reveal hidden contents

also I kind of Amy in Heroes anyway so yeah lel

And that still doesn't work seeing how you also claimed that they have the exact same story, and aside from Amy, one would be out of their minds to claim that the cast's characterization is even on par with the drek that is Free Riders'.

I only watched the cutscenes on Youtube back then to hear all the new actors, but I loved Shadow and Rouge in it. Just complete assholes. It was great.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I only watched the cutscenes on Youtube back then to hear all the new actors, but I loved Shadow and Rouge in it. Just complete assholes. It was great.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Regardless though, Heroes and Free Riders are definitely not that similar in characterization. Story-wise if we're counting the fact that there are teams with their respective stories, yes, but still a gross oversimplification to say that they're the same, let alone the "exact" same.

10 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Shadow and rouge are literally uncharacteristically mean. Their meanness is out of character

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

06 was ruined in part by the Wii Remote

In addition to what @Shadowlax said, this statement makes no sense whatsoever and reads as a bad case of fanboyism.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

In addition to what @Shadowlax said, this statement makes no sense whatsoever and reads as a bad case of fanboyism.

Not quite. Part of the production team was taken away from Sonic '06 to make Sonic and the Secret Rings, a launch title for the Wii that made extensive use of the Wii Remote. So in a sense, the Wii, and by extension, the Wii Remotes, contributed to Sonic '06's failure.

Just now, Cheawn said:

Not quite. Part of the production team was taken away from Sonic '06 to make Sonic and the Secret Rings, a launch title for the Wii that made extensive use of the Wii Remote. So in a sense, the Wii, and by extension, the Wii Remotes, contributed to Sonic '06's failure.

I know that old story, but trying to blame that on 06 as has been explained multiple times does not work really, and it's even more arbitrary, and often used by console war fanboys and girls to blame the fact that Secret Rings had a gimmick on 06's wide amount of failure, unlike Free Riders which actually does have the Kinect to directly blame.

That I can agree with. The whole production shift is really just Sega not planning very well. 06 is not to blame for what the change.

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

often used by console war fanboys and girls to blame the fact that Secret Rings had a gimmick on 06's wide amount of failure,

Who says that? The games were in production at around the same time, there's no way one could have been a response to the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've noticed that compared to Sonic Mania, Project 2017 seems to have garnered more attention from the community, with more discussion surrounding it than the former. I was curious as to what about the game you guys can find more to talk about with only a 1:20 trailer to go by compared to the numerous gameplay videos shown for Mania. 

And to save me from making two comments, who else thinks there's a lot of potential in bringing back the skill shop from Generations? Considering how fickle this community can be over gameplay preferences, it seems like a good way to provide alterations to the gameplay without forcing the player to adapt to a style they don't enjoy as much as others. I know Generations didn't try this, but imagine if you could make the boost function similar Sonic Advance 2's? Provided, this depends on how Project 2017 plays and if the level design could even allow for changes like this.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I would argue the opposite, I haven't seen too much talk about sonic 2017 outside of its initial unavailing. Which makes sense, we have little idea what it is, and in recent games both thematically and gameplay wise have dissapointed a lot of people. It makes sense, some people are in " I just hope it doesn't suck mode" and others are in " I don't think I should spend money on this franchise anymore, this isn't for me" mode, and then there are others in " I got my classic sonic game fuck everything else mode" 

2 hours ago, Cheawn said:

That I can agree with. The whole production shift is really just Sega not planning very well. 06 is not to blame for what the change.

Who says that? The games were in production at around the same time, there's no way one could have been a response to the other.

You'd be surprised what inane arguments can show up in the Sonic 2006  thread topic. godot-steams%28a%29.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

So I've noticed that compared to Sonic Mania, Project 2017 seems to have garnered more attention from the community, with more discussion surrounding it than the former. I was curious as to what about the game you guys can find more to talk about with only a 1:20 trailer to go by compared to the numerous gameplay videos shown for Mania. 

Mania is pretty straightforward. We know how it's going to play, it's not going to have a complex story or questionable gimmicks attached, and given who's behind it we're all pretty much sure it's going to turn out to be a good game.

'17, on the other hand, is all mystery and controversy. We've got a teaser trailer that hints at, but doesn't confirm, some gameplay and story elements we'll be seeing, combined with Sonic Team's inconsistent output over the years. That leaves a lot more room for questions, speculation, and arguments compared to Mania.

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

And to save me from making two comments, who else thinks there's a lot of potential in bringing back the skill shop from Generations? Considering how fickle this community can be over gameplay preferences, it seems like a good way to provide alterations to the gameplay without forcing the player to adapt to a style they don't enjoy as much as others. I know Generations didn't try this, but imagine if you could make the boost function similar Sonic Advance 2's? Provided, this depends on how Project 2017 plays and if the level design could even allow for changes like this.  

I don't think a skill system could be used for as radical a change as that, at least not unless the level design and other gameplay mechanics were very genericized/sterilized to account for it. Even then, that likely leads to a game that feels bland and lacks a clear identity.

That aside, I think the skill system could've been interesting, but most skills were either minor and boring or costly and limited. You could equip a couple of basic tweaks like better braking, better acceleration, rings taking longer to despawn, etc, or you could pick one (and only one) "interesting" ability like a free elemental shield, a time stop, or Super Sonic, and maybe one of the really cheap minor skills. If they bring the system back in a future game, they really need to find a way to rebalance it to be more fun.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

And that still doesn't work seeing how you also claimed that they have the exact same story, and aside from Amy, one would be out of their minds to claim that the cast's characterization is even on par with the drek that is Free Riders'.

Y'know, even though I called her an insufferable brat I'd argue that even Amy wasn't that bad in Heroes. I mean, we're all familiar with that scene from before the Team Sonic vs Team Rose fight which makes Amy look like an obsessive stalker but her behavior in the rest of the game is nowhere near that extreme. At the very least she shows signs of genuine kindness and camaraderie towards the other members of Team Rose and her more assertive personality is basically a continuation of her character arc from the Adventure games, with Amy growing into a leadership position and becoming a hero in her own right. Contrast Free Riders, where she's a borderline sociopath who talks about Sonic at a constant and bullies Cream and Vector into going through with her schemes.

• Thumbs Up 3