Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I actually like hearing from Iizuka so I'm excited now

After all his nonsense over the past few years directing the franchise, one is encouraged to ask...

Why?

Because some people let themselves enjoy things and like hearing from the people who control them. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Because some people let themselves enjoy things and like hearing from the people who control them. 

That's well and good. I'm loving Mania and... CERTAIN aspects of Forces are hitting nice notes, but hearing from Iizuka being an exciting thing peaked my interest.

I would much rather hear something from the other guy working on the game, that 06 dude brought back to head things. THAT is worth being curious over, to me. Not hearing from Mr. The-Moon-Turned-Around-Ha-Ha again.

In fact, where the heck is Whitehead too? Another face we need more of. Iizuka has had enough of his time in the spotlight, wasting time at that.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I would much rather hear something from the other guy working on the game, that 06 dude brought back to head things. THAT is worth being curious over, to me. Not hearing from Mr. The-Moon-Turned-Around-Ha-Ha again.

You mean the producer, who has less control than Iizuka? You want to go higher up the chain if you're going to hear the more important details about the game.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

In fact, where the heck is Whitehead too? Another face we need more of. Iizuka has had enough of his time in the spotlight, wasting time at that.

Listen, I get your hate-boner for the guy, but I don't actually recall anyone else even mentioning Iizuka until this came out. Whitehead also has nothing to do with Forces so there's no reason to bring him into discussion in the Forces thread.

8 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

You mean the producer, who has less control than Iizuka? You want to go higher up the chain if you're going to hear the more important details about the game.

Listen, I get your hate-boner for the guy, but I don't actually recall anyone else even mentioning Iizuka until this came out. Whitehead also has nothing to do with Forces so there's no reason to bring him into discussion in the Forces thread.

He has less control than Iizuka maybe but he's somebody else. That's my point. Someone with a different view, different personality, different direction, who is working on the same project. I want that new face behind the interviews and cameras, basically. Iizuka has had enough time.

Josh mentioned Iizuka, thus I responded to Josh, do a little backtracking.

Edit

I suppose my main issue is the vibe that Mr. Iizuka is trying to glory-hog and take absolute credit for everything by being the face shining brightest when this time around he's doing the least. It's the fresh faces making these fresh new games, not him to the degree I feel he's making it out to be.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

He has less control than Iizuka maybe but he's somebody else. That's my point. Someone with a different view, different personality, different direction, who is working on the same project. I want that new face behind the interviews and cameras, basically. Iizuka has had enough time.

Well that's pointless. Which person is delivering information changes nothing about what the information itself will be.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Josh mentioned Iizuka, thus I responded to Josh, do a little backtracking.

Or you could not be a condescending ass and actually read what I said.

9 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

until this came out. 

I.e. before this news showed up Iizuka wasn't in the spotlight at all, so stop pretending he was. This is contrarianism at it's finest and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Well that's pointless. Which person is delivering information changes nothing about what the information itself will be.

Or you could not be a condescending ass and actually read what I said.

I.e. before this news showed up Iizuka wasn't in the spotlight at all, so stop pretending he was. This is contrarianism at it's finest and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

Iizuka has been in the spotlight in regards to both Mania and Forces so far.

I see very little reason to be hot and bothered over wanting that 06 guy and Whitehead focused more on than Iizuka and for him to be pushed aside for once but if you take offense to that I apologize.

Edit

And personal over it. The name calling... Could do without that...

2 minutes ago, Kellan said:

So, I really like the way the boost looks. I like that "lensing" effect that it has.

It's had that since Unleashed IIRC. Whenever you did the initial boost, it had that effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Toa Axis said:

It's had that since Unleashed IIRC. Whenever you did the initial boost, it had that effect.

Oh, I know. I just really like that effect. I hope that the effect lingers this time, so that it lasts the whole boost instead of just at the beginning. It just looks so cool!

Just now, Kellan said:

Oh, I know. I just really like that effect. I hope that the effect lingers this time, so that it lasts the whole boost instead of just at the beginning. It just looks so cool!

I feel like that would compromise clarity too significantly. Besides, I'm having a rather difficult time envisioning how that would look.

4 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

I feel like that would compromise clarity too significantly. Besides, I'm having a rather difficult time envisioning how that would look.

I dunno, I was thinking, like, a small "bubble" around the front of Sonic that would retain the lensing effect. I guess clarity might be an issue though, but I do think that it could work.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Iizuka has been in the spotlight in regards to both Mania and Forces so far.

where? Up until this stupid tangent the only person who's even talked about him much is you.

16 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I see very little reason to be hot and bothered over wanting that 06 guy and Whitehead focused more on than Iizuka and for him to be pushed aside for once but if you take offense to that I apologize.

What? You were the one getting angry because people with less to do with the game aren't in the spotlight, delivering what would probably the exact same information, albeit in less detail or depth because that isn't even their fucking job. Don't twist this onto me. 

19 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

And personal over it. The name calling... Could do without that...

I could do without such terms being necessitated, but I guess neither of us wants to change very much.

Back on topic...

That's definitely a new screenshot. We hadn't actually seen Sonic facing the camera until today. Neato!

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed.

I wonder if that camera angle ever actually is used in game?

On the topic of the boost effect, I think less is more. A simpler Sonic is one that can blend easier with his world, and I always thought the explosion of wind and air from the boost was a bit distracting in previous games. Plus the whole screen got covered in blurs and Sonic booms (actual ones, whenever you pressed the boost button) whereas now it's just some white speed lines. I think it'll be easier to pay proficiently with a Sonic that doesn't cause as much visual effects on the screen (which will be necessary, considering the visual detail of the levels).

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I'm really digging the boost's aesthetic this time around. One thing that really bothered me about boost waaay more than it should've is well...

How the heck does Sonic see what's ahead of him while he's going ultra turbo???

Before boosting:

XXv22ow.png

Bpgk96i.png

After boosting:

uYLQGOf.png

OBwcUuC.png

Sonic Generations tried to remedy this by removing the front part of the boost aura thing while he's facing the camera, but sometimes it disappears too early and it's sooo ugly.

It's really hard to get a good still of this, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

1CeXaBR.png

You could cut diamonds with that straight edge.

• Thumbs Up 6

39 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Sonic #confirmed to still have a face. That reminds me, I hope there's camera control in this game. It bothers me how the games from Colours and onwards haven't let you do that.

Yes to this. So much. I've said it before, but I can't stress just how much it bugs me.

Colours got a pass due to them trying to fit the game on every Wii control scheme, but it made no sense whatsoever for Generations and Lost World to still not have any sort of camera control, especially considering the more open stages in Generations like City Escape Act 2. 

Most kids don't know how to properly adjust the camera (it's why Ratchet & Clank 2016 opens with a camera tutorial), so my guess is that Sonic Team either forgot to include camera controls or purposely removed them altogether for some bizarre reason. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When in a boost game have you ever needed camera control, though? The level design and mechanics are so locked down that they can just point the camera in the only direction you can go anyway.

• Thumbs Up 8

12 hours ago, BlueParadox said:

So on Thursday, it seems that we might get new info on Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania thanks to an upcoming scan provided by Famitsu:

UPDATE:

Inb4, this thread earns 20 more pages.

Ayy, new information. And here I thought that we'd be in a drought until E3. Now that makes me wonder if we'll get another Famitsu leak next month, like what they do with Pokemon games. Anyway, color me excited to see what this information is. Also, it's funny that this information will be on Thursday, the usual time the Sonic Twitter and YouTube do their usual shenanigans.

And we're getting a interview with Iizuka? Nice. Ignoring that whole debate or whatever that was, if we're getting new info about a game, then I really don't care where we're getting that information from. So yeah. Moving on.

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

When in a boost game have you ever needed camera control, though? The level design and mechanics are so locked down that they can just point the camera in the only direction you can go anyway.

When you get to the later levels that start throwing in more platforming and ways to go, it'd be beneficial to actually be able to change the direction of the camera.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, BlueParadox said:

Inb4, this thread earns 20 more pages.

20? You're been optimistic :PCount at least 30 of complaints and wish-lists. Maybe 4 of real discussion :P

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

20? You're been optimistic :PCount at least 30 of complaints and wish-lists. Maybe 4 of real discussion :P

Wait, so people saying what they don't like about the game, and people saying what they want to see in the game don't count as "real discussion"? Then what is "real discussion", people stating what is already in the game without giving their opinions, positive or negative?

12 minutes ago, Kellan said:

Wait, so people saying what they don't like about the game, and people saying what they want to see in the game don't count as "real discussion"? Then what is "real discussion", people stating what is already in the game without giving their opinions, positive or negative?

Actually, I'm being too harsh. At best 30 of complaints, 40 of people bringing up "Sonic 06 and Shadow weren't that bad" and more 20 of off-topic stuff. Plus 10 of butt-hurt attacking untill some mod interferes. :P