Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

So we're getting the guy who directed Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World back in the director's seat for this one?

But.. But... this game has a new power!

It's like the old powers. But it's new!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

Do we know how long Forces has been in development? 

2013 according to the interview.

2 hours ago, Kintor said:

You say that now but the whole "my console's game looks better then your console's game" rhetoric is a fact of life in the gaming community. I expect that when the time comes Sonic Forces will be used as another major example of hardware difference between the Switch and everything else in the current console war.

EDIT: I did argue here but I feel we've already had this discussion once already earlier in the thread.  You think graphics matter, I don't.  You think the Switch will have a massive downgrade, I don't.  At the end of the day we just have to wait and see how the visuals of the Switch version fair to prove one of us wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

Do we know how long Forces has been in development? 

Since 2013. It started around the release of Sonic Lost World.

Just now, Chameleon94 said:

Except there's a big difference, those games were made in 2 years each, this one has been in development for 5 years, so I would at least give it a chance.

Time on a project doesn't really affect a developer's sensibilities. If you've got a Michael Bay blockbuster that takes 5 years to develop, and another Michael Bay blockbuster that takes just two years, both are ostensibly still going to feel like Bay films. Whether it's by his own hand or Sega mandates or whatever, Kishimoto Sega-directed games have amounted to feeling like nothing more than farts in the wind. He has a shitload to prove to me that this game will be worth my time (that first trailer with throwing Classic Sonic back in for no reason did the game no favors), especially if the game is coming out against fucking Odyssey.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Since 2013. It started around the release of Sonic Lost World.

3 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

2013 according to the interview.

Ah thank you. If it's been in development for this long I'm sure it'll turn out good

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Time on a project doesn't really affect a developer's sensibilities. If you've got a Michael Bay blockbuster that takes 5 years to develop, and another Michael Bay blockbuster that takes just two years, both are ostensibly still going to feel like Bay films. Whether it's by his own hand or Sega mandates or whatever, Kishimoto Sega-directed games have amounted to feeling like nothing more than farts in the wind. He has a shitload to prove to me that this game will be worth my time (that first trailer with throwing Classic Sonic back in for no reason did the game no favors), especially if the game is coming out against fucking Odyssey.

You compared it to a movie? A Michael Bay one? Okay, this shows what you think of this game and Sonic Team. I get it though, they have much to prove, but it doesn't cost anything to give it a chance and wait to see how it shapes.

11 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

Except there's a big difference, those games were made in 2 years each, this one has been in development for 5 years, so I would at least give it a chance.

I'd say a bigger and more relevant difference is the game being multiplatform (I seem to remember them straight up saying Lost World was designed to try and appeal more to Nintendo fans and I suspect Colours was the same to an extent), as well as just looking at how different the tone is in this (so far) than those games. Who knows how it'll turn out tho', but I like those games so I guess I don't really care either way.

On a related note, I'm still concerned with the story, but considering how disjointed the plots and gameplay have been in this series for a long time...I'd just like to know if everyone on the team is actually communicating with each other. And that's not getting into who's writing the script.

• Thumbs Up 3

The 3rd playstyle will be something unexpected that bridges the gap between Modern & Classic?!

buddy.thumb.png.bceb45e952d15a57539b67f4c7df77de.png

omg, we all made fun of this, but what if Larry was right all along???!!!! ???

• Thumbs Up 4

I dislike most of this guy's games so hearing he's directing doesn't do much for me, but Colors imo was solid so we'll see how it goes

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

I'd say a bigger and more relevant difference is the game being multiplatform, as well as just looking at how different the tone is in this (so far) than those games. Who knows how it'll turn out tho', but I like those games so I guess I don't really care either way.

I'm more concerned with the story, but considering how disjointed the plots and gameplay have been in this series for a long time, I'd just like to know if everyone's actually communicating with each other. And that's not getting into who's writing the script... 

Yeah I already think it looks A LOT different from Colors and Lost World (aside from Sonic's design with shorter quills), I would compare it a lot more to Unleashed and Generations because of the gameplay and Classic Sonic being there. I already like everything so far to be honest, the gameplay seems okay, I'm not gonna judge the first 40 seconds of the tutorial stage.

The story is my favorite part of the game for now, it's exactly what I wanted, SatAM with the SegaSonic cast, aside from... having playable friends.

5 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

You compared it to a movie? A Michael Bay one? Okay, this shows what you think of this game and Sonic Team. I get it though, they have much to prove, but it doesn't cost anything to give it a chance and wait to see how it shapes.

I compared it to movie on the basis of your assumption that the project's length of development completely changes how it inevitably feels to an audience familiar with the director's work, not on the basis of more mechanical or theoretical bases that underpin each medium. Analogies; how do they work?

And waiting to give this a chance costs my time and emotional expectations. Why should I give a damn hoping this game will not bore the shit out of me when I already know for certain Mario Odyssey is going to blow it out of the water anyway? There's being curious and then there's just being willfully strung along for no reason.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

I compared it to movie on the basis of your assumption that the project's length of development completely changes how it inevitably feels to an audience familiar with the director's work, not on the basis of more mechanical or theoretical bases that underpin each medium. Analogies; how do they work?

And waiting to give this a chance costs my time and emotional expectations. Why should I give a damn hoping this game will not bore the shit out of me when I already know for certain Mario Odyssey is going to blow it out of the water anyway? There's being curious and then there's just being strung along.

...Because you can like more than one game and one franchise at the same time??? Or maybe I'm wrong. I also think Odyssey will be far better, it's already more ambitious, but still, it's so different from Forces.

• Thumbs Up 8

12 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I have to agree; leaving a bun in the oven for long isn't going to make it any tastier if you have the oven on the wrong settings.

I'm looking towards Yooka-Laylee's polarising reception here (remind you of Lost World reviews much?). This game was delayed a few times, but no amount of delays could ever fix the more fundamental errors that were a result of generally poor direction.

(Full disclosure, I've not even played Yooka yet, I'm just going off of what I've heard and read online)  

Edited by BubbleButt TV

Just now, Chameleon94 said:

...Because you can like more than one game and one franchise at the same time?

And what if I haven't liked the past few Sonic games on the basis of the aesthetic and writing decisions almost assuredly made by a director who keeps sticking around? What does the length of time Forces has been in development have to do with the fact that I don't like Kishimoto's work and would rather Sega just moneyhat Hashimoto to come back?

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like Generations (and to a lesser extent Unleashed) have most of the same issues, so I can't really pin 'em on this director in particular.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic needs a new director if anything. Hashimoto leaving Square Enix due to a hilariously similar engine related fiasco to the Hedgehog Engine makes me question the guy a little

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

And waiting to give this a chance costs my time and emotional expectations. Why should I give a damn hoping this game will not bore the shit out of me when I already know for certain Mario Odyssey is going to blow it out of the water anyway? There's being curious and then there's just being strung along.

Not to turn this into a company pissing match or get too off topic, but let's not even pretend that this isn't true. Not to put down Sega, but there's no way that Sonic Team can even begin to compete with arguably, the best game development studio in all of Japan, Nintendo EPD Tokyo. Not a chance. 

42 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Pretty sure he's just saying that the third gameplay style is going to be a fusion of Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic styles, hence it's "Fusion Sonic" style.

Essentially, yes.  This strikes me as something Sonic Team might invent with the intention of creating a new Classic-Modern compromise style, rebooting the franchise's standard gameplay to appeal to both Classic and Boost fans.  Don't think I don't know it's a silly idea, but this is Sonic Team we're talking about; if their response to needing slower and more platforming-based elements in Unleashed was to add a Werehog, they're clearly open to weird solutions for simple problems.

I'm moving Metal Sonic up in my estimation to second guess, though.  I think he could also fit the bill as a character who "embodies the overall features of the game," if we interpret "features" as narrative features rather than gameplay features; he's also suitably "unexpected."

In development since 2013? These japanese people. They really follow that old saying: a japanese man takes 6 days thinking of a solution and only 1 day putting in practice. So: The gameplay they've showed was quite recent, eventhought it was still a WIP. Also, why would they show gameplay from, say, 2014, or 2015? I think, I THINK, most of the working time so far was actually improving the Hedgehog Engine, rather than the gameplay, which quite frankly, could be done in a weekend. They've done it 3 times already, it's not a new gameplay.

I guess my point is that I think Sonic Team's recent games are solid or close to it, but it definitely feels like there isn't much communication within the team to make sure things are more coherent. Tho' I definitely wouldn't say no to new blood (in leadership roles especially).

Just now, Zippo said:

Not to turn this into a company pissing match or get too off topic, but let's not even pretend that this isn't true. Not to put down Sega, but there's no way that Sonic Team can even compete with arguably, the best developers in all of Japan, Nintendo EPD Tokyo. Not a chance. 

I mean, they did before on shittier hardware.

But in general, even when recognizing the difference in quality between the two companies, I cite Odyssey because I don't think Sonic is competing interestingly with Mario on even aesthetic or tonal grounds anymore. Absolutely nothing Sonic does excites me or gives me a reason to spend my money, and as a fan since the beginning I've seen some shit.

The technical quality of the gameplay is- as we've all concluded- inevitably worse because "Well, Nintendo is just the best at that," meaning that Sonic has to be marketing itself on something else for me to bother. Unique boost gameplay? It looks fine. I admit I got a kick out of the slightly extended gameplay and that it looks fun, but too fucking bad at that because this little shitarse game has to share the spotlight with an unwelcome Classic Sonic that we all know is not going to be as good as Mania's anyway, and a third gameplay style which we know nothing about. Weren't we complaining for years about gameplay fragmentation? Weird how they're still doing it and people are fine with it because Sanic. But whatever. Let's move on.

What about aesthetics and tone? Well, the apocalyptic "Eggman has stopped playing nice" vibe is interesting, it's definitely different from Mario's usual vibe, and it hearkens back to the more high-stakes vibes of the later classic games and Adventure games that made them different from other platformers. And it doesn't seem to be embarrassingly grim. Sure! I can get on board with that. But man, you tell me the guy who directed Colors and Lost World is helming this game too and all I'm seeing flash by is shitty jokes, dangling plot threads, characters standing around not doing anything, a lack of mystery and theme, and potential moral considerations that are gonna piss me off. Third time could be the charm. Maybe. But I'm still distracted with Breath of the Wild and probably will be up until Odyssey comes out. Is there really any reason for a person like me to give a damn about Sonic right now?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Sonic needs a new director if anything. Hashimoto leaving Square Enix due to a hilariously similar engine related fiasco to the Hedgehog Engine makes me question the guy a little

From what I recall, the engine wasn't the reason he left. I can't find anything on it causing notable problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

From what I recall, the engine wasn't the reason he left. I can't find anything on it causing notable problems.

I had read that Kingdom Hearts 3 switched off the engine because it was causing problems.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-04-kingdom-hearts-3-dev-discusses-with-switch-from-luminous-to-unreal-engine-4

But reading over it again it seems like the engine wasn't that big of an issue, so my fault.

I mean, it was the engine used on the last Final Fantasy, and that game got critical acclaim so it seems fine! He's cool! He can come back.

Spoiler

Granted, Breath of the Wild also got critical acclaim, but man those frame rate drops in villages lolololol.

Spoiler

I don't know anything about frame drops cause I play it on the switch :D

I know people want Sonic games to look good, but I really would like it if the boost games would priorities frame rates. Unleashed style stages with amazing performance would be a bigger deal to me than cutting edge visuals.

• Thumbs Up 5