Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Personally, I was hyped when the saw the first 57 seconds of the trailer. That was... until classic sonic <_< appeared. I really hope that this game brings the franchise a little closer to glory again, but I don't expect much and won't get my hopes up.

Just wanted to know what you guys expect from the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Even if it's something IIzuka said, I still advocate for waiting until we see it to make the judgement. Lord knows that I've given up relying on anything that comes out of that man's mouth. I still remember back when Unleashed came out how everyone freaked out when he said "The werehog is totally gonna return guys". And then back when Generations came out saying "There's no plans to bring Classic Sonic back" and then all that stuff about how he wanted to create a new "Modern" Sonic with Lost World. And then I think the term "Legacy Sonic" was tossed out there at one point.

The point is that "Seeing is believing". Indefinitely. 

I'm not disagreeing with you but I always felt that those first two that you mentioned were originally going to be true but because critics and fans at the time didn't like the werehog they decided to cut it and with Lost World and Boom blowing up in their faces it seems like they had to fall back on what works and what folks loved and that was colors and generations. Keep in mind it doesn't justify what he said tho.

12 hours ago, Plus said:

So its definitely a new-new character and probably a hedgehog if SA2, Heroes, and Generations are anything to go by. 

Whoever or whatever it is, I hope they have reasonable ideas on its reception. 

On 12/11/2016 at 7:47 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Um...Boom or Adventure Sonic wouldn't exactly be a "new" character to begin with, now would he?

And in spite of this there has still been massive speculation of them being the additional characters. Its not like it was my idea.

I swear if it's another fucking hedgehog...

And I say this as someone who's not even anal about Silver being one. I'd like to doubt it would be a hedgehog, but I can't say I wouldn't be surprised...

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH that source doesn't look super reliable. I followed the link hole and all I could find was one tweet on a random non official account, without any accompanying video or anything else. It basically sounds a little made up.

Having said that, It wouldn't surprise me if there was a new character- I expect that at least there will be some kind of new villian, which has been the trend for what feels like forever. Having another hero, esp. a playable one when both the old and new sonics are in it already seems unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 8

As much as I hate to admit it, it's probably gonna wind up being "Future Sonic" or some shit.  I mean, what little we've seen in the teaser implies we're doing more time travel.  If there is a new character, then the most logical follow up to two playable Sonics would be a third Sonic.

1 hour ago, Remy said:

But we already had "cool guy from the future" with Silver! He was the Trunks! you can't have two Trunkses

I can't believe Zonic the Zone Cop is no longer canon

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Remy said:

But we already had "cool guy from the future" with Silver! He was the Trunks! you can't have two Trunkses

Who said he'd be cool? Future Sonic will be 100 years old and do nothing but sleep all day. When somebody wakes him up he makes snide comments about them and tries to beat them up with his walker but then throws out his back, forgets what he was doing, and goes back to sleep.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It's not going to be Sonic from the future, it'll be his child.

His son, Ic the hedgehog.

Ah, his son that he fathers with Blaze. Hmmmm, I suppose that could work.

kekkekekekekekekekekekekekekekeekekekekekekekeekekekekekekekeke XD Kidiing

11 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Who said he'd be cool? Future Sonic will be 100 years old and do nothing but sleep all day. When somebody wakes him up he makes snide comments about them and tries to beat them up with his walker but then throws out his back, forgets what he was doing, and goes back to sleep.

Yep, Boom Sonic is canon now.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

Yep, Boom Sonic is canon now.

Of course. If SEGA can't bring in the actual Boom Sonic they'll do the next best thing and have canon Sonic turn into Boom Sonic in all but name.

And then half the fanbase will sing it's praises for being a witty meta commentary on the series decline over time.

And then the other half of the fanbase will ask: "Why are we letting a game from eleven years ago scare us to the point that we have to turn everything into a stupid meta commentary in order for it to be accepted? It's been eight years since Black Knight can we please try to make a game that's unironically entertaining again?"

And then everybody will argue.

And then the forum will blow up.

And then it will be fun times for all.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think a fresh addition to the cast could do the game some good...so long as they're written well and don't crash and burn on entry like Silver, Sticks, or those Chronicles guys. 

All this talk about having a "Future Sonic" and/or "Boom Sonic" in this game is way too ludicrous for me to believe, when there's no legit and concrete evidence to support such a thing. Hell, we didn't even see a third Sonic in the trailer! As it stands, the possibility of having a tertiary Sonic is little to none. The only stuff that matters to me here is "Modern Sonic" and "Classic Sonic". That's it. Nothing more, and nothing less. Keep anything related to the Boom franchise away from Project Sonic 2017 (I'm fine with Sticks, though). I can already imagine fans losing their sanity with the reveal of a third Sonic. Although, I can totally see Classic Eggman making another comeback. If we have 2 Sonics, I don't see why we can't have Classic Eggman again. As for having a third Eggman, I'll gladly accept Eggman Nega. He fits the role of "Future Eggman" perfectly. The closest thing we'll ever get to a "Future Sonic" is Silver the Hedgehog. Let it stay that way. I'd much rather see Silver get redeemed in terms of gameplay, opposed to having even MORE Sonics be playable. Also, Knuckles and Amy getting Classic forms is a little too much to ask for, IMO. Classic Tails can definitely stay, though. Anyway, that's all I have to say on that note. I have high hopes for this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think a fresh addition to the cast could do the game some good...so long as they're written well and don't crash and burn on entry like Silver, Sticks, or those Chronicles guys. 

I'd rather focus on properly developing the current cast of characters that we already have, before letting this new character get all the attention.

"The needs of the many (current cast of characters) outweigh the needs of the few...or the one (new character)."

5 minutes ago, AngelSlayerN64 said:

I'd rather focus on properly developing the current cast of characters that we already have, before letting this new character get all the attention.

"The needs of the many (current cast of characters) outweigh the needs of the few...or the one (new character)."

I'm not really interested in having to focus on those characters just because they're there. How long can it be before a new character is added? What if a new character would suit the story or the gameplay more than an old one? Why can't some of them just be left in the background? These things should be considered on a case by case basis.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, it really depends on what kind of role this new character is going to play. It's not necessarily going to be a role that an existing character can fill just as well. Even though I love most of the extended cast, I definitely don't love using them just for the sake of using them, which is one reason their reputation probably got so bad to begin with. Characters should only be used if they can be used well, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I'm not really interested in having to focus on those characters just because they're there. How long can it be before a new character is added? What if a new character would suit the story more than an old one? Why can't some of them just be left in the background? These things should be considered on a case by case basis.

Well, you do make some good points. I always hold the main cast in the upmost priority over newcomers. I guess it's just a matter of preferences, really. Although, I do have one question. Even if controversial characters that were written poorly (such as Silver, Big, or Sticks) in the past, would you still give them a second chance and focus on developing them first, or would you hold the new character in top priority and then the rest later?

6 minutes ago, AngelSlayerN64 said:

Well, you do make some good points. I always hold the main cast in the upmost priority over newcomers. I guess it's just a matter of preferences, really. Although, I do have one question. Even if controversial characters that were written poorly (such as Silver, Big, or Sticks) in the past, would you still give them a second chance and focus on developing them first, or would you hold the new character in top priority and then the rest later?

I don't see a particular reason to give less major characters "second chances". Like, if I can find a use for them, fine, I'd see what I can do about fixing them, but if it were me I wouldn't get too hung up on making sure everyone likes every character. The series isn't story driven enough to make that a priority. Each game is a fresh scenario and rarely builds off the last, so even if the character was well liked, you might not be making much use of them next time anyway(ex: my icon).

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

One of these things is not like the other, and that one certainly don't apply.

• Thumbs Up 5

40 minutes ago, AngelSlayerN64 said:

Even if controversial characters that were written poorly (such as Silver, Big, or Sticks) in the past, would you still give them a second chance and focus on developing them first

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Since when was Sticks such a widely controversial and badly written character? Wasn't she actually fairly well written in F&I even? 

And characters don't need a second chance in Sonic games. It's a Sonic game, it just uses whatever character makes most sense. If they're going to add a new character, than so be it, so long as it doesn't detract anything from the game or completely takes the role of another character, I'm happy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

48 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't see a particular reason to give less major characters "second chances". Like, if I can find a use for them, fine, I'd see what I can do about fixing them, but if it were me I wouldn't get too hung up on making sure everyone likes every character. The series isn't story driven enough to make that a priority. Each game is a fresh scenario and rarely builds off the last, so even if the character was well liked, you might not be making much use of them next time anyway(ex: my icon).

The way I see it, making every character likable is something you should strive for. That would be my goal/objective. However, if said character is intended to be a "Hate Sink", then that's an entirely different case altogether. Although, I'm pretty sure that Silver, Big, and Sticks don't qualify as "those" type of characters. These controversial or underappreciated characters deserve redemption, IMO. Silver managed to get some cool points when he got a new voice actor (Quinton Flynn) and an epic boss fight in Generations, but that's not enough to fully satisfy the fans.