Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

12 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

That moment when TSSZ was right about 2 Sonic games being in development...

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/source-at-least-2-sonic-team-titles-intended-for-2016/

Only they got the date wrong, it was for 2017!

Anyway, we may see something tomorrow, there is a Q&A with Iizuka, he may reveal some more bits of info like he did in the last interview.

They also got it wrong that Sonic Team was developing two games. Sonic Team's handling of Mania seems to be largely hands-off, with supervision being done by SoA project more than anything else.

Granted, this is because Taxman and Stealth have already proved they know what they're doing with the existing mobile classic remasters. And PWG has officially a well-received mobile game (as well as members who prior to the studio's formation worked on the Sonic 2 HD fan remake) to their credit. It's no Big Red Button situation to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have very little faith in Sonic 17, but I hope we get some positive info for it. If if has boost then there's very little to save it.

However, if they learn from Whitehead and make the fake Classic Sonic from Generations resemble the true Classic Sonic from the glorious Classic titles, then hopefully we can get something good. Fixing fake Classic Sonic's physics and personality should be top priority. I don't want to see Generation's scripted sequences return, all because Sonic team were too lazy to implement Claasic Sonic's physics properly.

See Mods, I didn't attack Modern Sonic, I can improve :) 

From now on, I won't attack Modern Sonic! I'll only sing the praises of glorious Classic Sonic!

as far as i can see, nothing came out of that party in japan, besides Sonic being in Puyo Pop Quest, (which doesn't seem optimistic for localization, but we'll see) 

On 7/23/2016 at 7:47 AM, Ryannumber1Santa said:

So this just got announced during the birthday stream! The long awaited 2017 Sonic Team title. Much like the Sonic Mania topic, I will be updating the topic as we get new information.

Right now, here's what we know:

-Giant Death Egg Robots

-Seems like the Boost gameplay is back and more improved (Not sure)

-It seems to have at least a more serious story than previous games

-Freedom Fighters possibly (Not Archie Sonic, but there's a tagline,)

-It's possibly not a past revisit? The landscape indicates a different world which is currently being destroyed by Death Egg Robots

Confirmed Characters: 

-Classic Sonic

-Modern Sonic

-Modern Eggman

Likely Characters: 

-Classic Tails

-Modern Tails

-Classic Eggman

Trailer:

Didn't they say they have a secret new game play element with a twist?

37 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

I don't understand having "very little faith" in Sonic 17 - we know absolutely nothing of it's gameplay, characters, story, mechanics, physics or its context.

What we do know is the history of the series, and I think that gives plenty reason to doubt it until/unless it proves otherwise. On top of that a teaser is supposed to communicate some things about the game, even if only vaguely, and personally I saw nothing in the teaser to be positive about at all.

39 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

On top of that, by release it'll have had around double  the usual development time of a typical Sonic game. Bundle that with Sega's renewed drive to improve quality, I think there are more reasons to remain optimistic than pessimistic. 

I can understand being cautious, but lets not write off something that has the most positive indicators for the main series we've seen in a while.

These are positive indicators, sure, but they're far from the strongest indicators of quality. Talk is cheap, and Sega/Sonic Team have made promises about improving the series before. And while a long development time implies higher levels of polish, it's not absolute, and it can't fix bad ideas after they've become solidly integrated into the game.

On 22/12/2016 at 6:33 PM, Chameleon94 said:

That moment when TSSZ was right about 2 Sonic games being in development...

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/source-at-least-2-sonic-team-titles-intended-for-2016/

Only they got the date wrong, it was for 2017!

Anyway, we may see something tomorrow, there is a Q&A with Iizuka, he may reveal some more bits of info like he did in the last interview.

Let's not pretend Tristan's rumors were anything more than his source telling him speculation/bullshit, lol.

I mean, if it has to be framed as "he was right except for the date and one of the games not being by Sonic Team" for it to be true, then it's probably false.

11 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Let's not pretend Tristan's rumors were anything more than his source telling him speculation/bullshit, lol.

I mean, if it has to be framed as "he was right except for the date and one of the games not being by Sonic Team" for it to be true, then it's probably false.

I meant it more like they guessed (partially) right and it's awkward.

On 12/24/2016 at 3:37 PM, Stephenb19 said:

I don't understand having "very little faith" in Sonic 17 - we know absolutely nothing of it's gameplay, characters, story, mechanics, physics or its context. On top of that, by release it'll have had around double  the usual development time of a typical Sonic game. Bundle that with Sega's renewed drive to improve quality, I think there are more reasons to remain optimistic than pessimistic. 

I can understand being cautious, but lets not write off something that has the most positive indicators for the main series we've seen in a while.

Eh, while I don't agree with the reasons of the person you are referring to with this statement. Uh there are plenty of reasons not have faith in this game, both gameplay wise, and just thematically. Sega didn't earn my trust back just having sonic mania exist. That doesn't fix the studio actually making the game, that's nice thing sega funded. 

I think I mentioned two big reasons to be weary in a post a few pages back. Sega , sonic team is not out of hot water, by ANY MEANS in regards to future projects. 

We can talk about why to be weary if you want?  Also having extre dev time don't really mean squat, it could still not good in myriad ways. Sega has like ideological problems that extra dev time just doesn't fix. 

I hope it does well. But i'm not going to pretend sonic is out of the shithouse by anymeans

How do you think this game will look like in terms of visuals? They'll be nice as always, sure, but the visual style has changed a lot in the recent games: just look at Unleashed, Generations and Lost World.

Also, they'll probably want the game to run at a constant 60 FPS. That shouldn't be a problem except maybe with the Nintendo Switch's undocked mode.

Judging by the trailer the art direction hews pretty closely to that of Unleashed and Generations. Lots of soft edges with relatively simple, low contrast textures.

e36f220627ea4f4fa708c7oc21-1.jpg   content-4-34857-sonic.png

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the style. I find that it makes the levels look too pristine and picturesque, more like a postcard than an actual environment. I liked it well enough in Unleashed, mainly because "postcard" fits with it's whole theme of traveling the world, but in Generations and the Sonic '17 trailer it just makes the environments feel too perfect, like they were manufactured to be pretty looking videogame levels instead of being part of a larger world where people live, work, and so on. It makes me miss the sharper, grittier look of games like Adventure 2 and Black Knight.

rsz_city_escape_16.jpglatest?cb=20160314130807

Imperfections like the worn paint and bare patches of earth in City Escape, or the oddly cut stones and scraggly plants growing through the cracks in Molten Mine give the levels a sense of history that's lacking in Unleashed and Generations. That's not to say the art-style is a deal breaker or anything. Honestly, I'm just happy that SEGA is willing to try something with more intensity again (assuming that Sonic '17 is anything like the trailer makes it out to be).

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

How do you think this game will look like in terms of visuals? They'll be nice as always, sure, but the visual style has changed a lot in the recent games: just look at Unleashed, Generations and Lost World.

Also, they'll probably want the game to run at a constant 60 FPS. That shouldn't be a problem except maybe with the Nintendo Switch's undocked mode.

It will probably look fantastic. 

17 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Anyone else feeling that the Switch version may just very well be the base version?

What is this based off of

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

What is this based off of

Lowest common denominator. Switch is weakest of the three, but stronger than any previous system they've developed on. Building up is easier than building down. Combine that with possibly more friendly architecture and a good relationship with Nintendo, well it's just a train of though, but not without merit

• Thumbs Up 1

For every game prior to this, though, they simply made a seperate game for the weaker console. That's been their pattern for every main game since Unleashed as far as I remember. Why would that change now?

Here's some comedy gold for you guys, "Geno" is back and claims the game is called "Sonic Ruin".

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MOlzz3s4jnik8lKLjNa8vLPyEFv35jNqqdJghIEk4mg/mobilebasic

*ahem*

"Holiday 2017 will see the long awaited Sonic Ruin to Nintendo Switch and other platforms. Exclusive to this version and other SEGA games will be Sonic the Hedgehog Amiibo. Due to the deal SEGA made with Microsoft for Sonic Ruin to be bundled with XBox One Prime (Working Name for Scorpio), Nintendo is going to release a "Sonic 30th Anniversary" bundle that Holiday featuring classic Sonic games."

Yes, you read that right: "30th Anniversary". Lmao

Some of his previous greatest hits include:

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of story, does anyone think that this might be the first time in a long while that Silver may play an it role? Especially considering that classic Sonic is back so I think time travel may be involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time travel didn't grant Silver a major role in Generations and I doubt it will here either. If he shows up at all, I expect he'll just be one of many supporting characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

It didn't grant anyone bar three (technically six) characters in Generations, which people complained about given they were glorified cheerleaders. So not really seeing the point beyond stating the obvious.