Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Well until SEGA confirms that Project 2017 is gonna be delayed (which I doubt it will since it's been development for the longest time for a Sonic game), it's going to be released in 2017.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, Soni said:

Well until SEGA confirms that Project 2017 is gonna be delayed (which I doubt it will since it's been development for the longest time for a Sonic game), it's going to be released in 2017.

Well do we know how long this game has been in development tho? 

I'd say around the time Lost World was done and over was when 2017 started development, I mean Sonic Team are probably already working on the next game after 2017 at this point.

5 hours ago, Soni said:

Yeah

That's why I said I think. Or rather I don't think 

I didn't think that needed to be clarified. 

Also length in development does not stop delays. 

Hmm... Looks like they're still working on it. Don't think they're ready to show much about this yet.

I'm hoping we get more info in February, or prolly after Mania comes out.

On 1/13/2017 at 0:17 AM, Soni said:

*sighs*

My expectations for 2017 has plummeted now, seeing Super Mario Odyssey and that new Breath of the Wild trailer. I'm sure it'll be a good game but just being good isn't going to cut it now, especially with Sonic need to be at a much better place than ever before. I was really hoping for 2017 to be a very big game but I now I just don't see it happen anymore, hey atleast it won't be a piece of shit I guess.

Honestly, I have the same worry.

We all know that Sonic Team doesn't have the design chops that Nintendo does (and if they do, they've done an extremely poor job of displaying that), and in a year where we're getting a brand new 3D Mario game-- in the same Holiday season no less-- Project 2017 will be under even more scrutiny than it already would have been. A game that's simply 'good' isn't gonna cut it. I'm not saying that this game being amazing will immediately fix the franchise's reputation. I'm not even saying it will be amazing. But were it to happen, it would go a long way in getting folks to regain confidence in Sonic again.

I know we're past the whole Nintendo vs Sega thing nowadays, but it really sucks to see this series constantly in the dumps. And whether due to history, bias, etc, a new Mario game will make people look at a new Sonic game's flaws all the more closely. It may be a silly thing to worry about, I'll admit, but it's still sucky to think about.

• Thumbs Up 7

Skepticism doesn't really hurt, and it's understandable given the two disappointments that were Lost World and Boom. I don't blame anyone being cautious of this despite wanting this to blow them away.

Overbearing Cynicism, on the other hand, we can do without, and I say this as someone who sees your average person as a hypocritical animal. There's being careful like the above and then there's this case which is just stirring flames for those who are actually trying to find something to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 8

If Project 17 manages to be just as good as Sonic Generations, it will be great already. If it's better, then I believe most gamers will embrace and praise Sonic again, like it almost certainly did it in 2011, where EVERYBODY and their moms where excited for Gens, from fans to critics.

Mania is gonna do its job, but if P17 flops, we're back in that hole :/

• Thumbs Up 2

was Capcom affected by the voice acting strike?

because i was checking for Resi 7 spoilers (don't worry i'm sorta not spoiling anything) and it appears non of the Sag-Union voiceactors (or as i call them, the voice actors for Naruto/Bleach/LA voiceactors/whatever because that's what i associate them with) are hardly credited in the game, it's a bunch of lesser-knowns or motion-capture people at best. probably inhouse capcom employees.

i'm curious if the same thing happened to other japanese companies, especially Sega if they were affected by the strike.

On 14.1.2017 at 4:58 PM, Jango said:

If Project 17 manages to be just as good as Sonic Generations, it will be great already. If it's better, then I believe most gamers will embrace and praise Sonic again, like it almost certainly did it in 2011, where EVERYBODY and their moms where excited for Gens, from fans to critics.

Mania is gonna do its job, but if P17 flops, we're back in that hole :/

This. I have faith in the dev team working on this game. If this is anywhere near the quality of Colors and Generations, I will be pleased and happy playing it. Yet I'm still wondering what's the deal with 'Classic Sonic' in Project '17. I really hope this isn't 'Generations 2' in disguise.

• Thumbs Up 3

Something neat I noticed. Good to see Sonic is getting nice promotion from the Big N, even after how Sega messed over them with the exclusivity deal.

8Xydt7d (1).png

• Thumbs Up 8

On 1/20/2017 at 2:52 PM, Terriful said:

information_160725_01_thm.gif

Here's the gif. Pulled from the site. 

I think it's supposed to invoke mystery, rather than anything else. We still know next to nothing about it, and they're playing off of that.

This isn't the typical Sonic game you're dealing with, here.

• Thumbs Up 7

29 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I think it's suppose to invoke mystery, rather than anything else. We still know next to nothing about it, and they're playing off of that.

This isn't the typical Sonic game you're dealing with, here.

And I'm gonna call this here if Project 2017 is actually not the typical 3D Sonic game; I'll do a thing (probably a dancing thing). If not, then nothing happens. 

Can't wait for Sonic Edgerations 2!

1 minute ago, Soni said:

And I'm gonna call this here if Project 2017 is actually not the typical 3D Sonic game; I'll do a thing (probably a dancing thing). If not, then nothing happens. 

Define "typical 3d Sonic game" when we've got at least three different gameplay styles in that department . 

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Define "typical 3d Sonic game" when we've got at least three different gameplay styles in that department . 

Well if it's another safe, minimalistic presentation, "only gameplay matters" type of Sonic game like Colors and Gens; I'd say that's a pretty accurate definition of a "typical 3D Sonic game".

Just now, Soni said:

Well if it's another safe, minimalistic presentation, "only gameplay matters" type of Sonic game like Colors and Gens; I'd say that's a pretty accurate definition of a "typical 3D Sonic game".

First no,  that's not a good gauge as "typical" implies that's anywhere close to the norm.

Second, "only gameplay matters " would really only officially apply to Generations as a mentality if you're referring the fact that the higher-ups at SEGA actively had story cut from the writing of that game. 

Third,  referring to games like Colors as "minimalistic" shows a lack of understanding on how going by Wii games, is a powerhouse of the system's assets. 

Furthermore, referring to colors & Generations does echo those who tend to put Unleashed on an overrated pedestal over those two.

Not to mention that Generations boasts polished well being on consoles over Unleashed.

16 minutes ago, Soni said:

Can't wait for Sonic Edgerations 2!

Ugh,  annoying assumptive-ness factor fueling this joke aside,  we'd actually need a first edgy boost game for this joke to even work,  let alone be funny. 

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

First no,  that's not a good gauge as "typical" implies that's anywhere close to the norm.

Second, "only gameplay matters " would really only officially apply to Generations as a mentality if you're referring the fact that the higher-ups at SEGA actively had story cut from the writing of that game. 

Third,  referring to games like Colors as "minimalistic" shows a lack of understanding on how going by Wii games, is a powerhouse of the system's assets. 

Furthermore, referring to colors & Generations does echo those who tend to put Unleashed on an overrated pedestal over those two.

Not to mention that Generations boasts polished well being on consoles over Unleashed.

Ugh,  annoying assumptive-ness factor fueling this joke aside,  we'd actually need a first edgy boost game for this joke to even work,  let alone be funny. 

Colors had a very basic plot as well but it was filled with a lot of dialogue, so yeah I'd say it still counts as a "gameplay matters" especially since nowadays, barely anybody like Colors' story nowadays.

Colors looks great, as does Gens but does it still feels lacking in a lot of ways if you ask me. Most notably, the hubs. If Mario Galaxy can do hubs, what's Colors' excuse to go back to the barebones stage select screen.

>Unleashed

>overrated

haha funny

Generations may have polished up Unleashed's flaws but it certainly doesn't have any of the stuff that made people like Unleashed to begin with. Generations was a simple celebratory game that does have some fun and new twists on old levels but barely does anything outside of that while Unleashed really went all out with every aspect that was overlooked by many when it first came out.

I guess you could say Unleashed was an edgy Boost game so there's that. Also does the Soul Surge/Speed Break from the Storybook series count as a Boost as well? Me making an unfunny joke, man that's rare.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

"Bad".

1 minute ago, Soni said:

Colors had a very basic plot as well but it was filled with a lot of dialogue, so yeah I'd say it still counts as a "gameplay matters" especially since nowadays, barely anybody like Colors' story nowadays.

Not many people like '06's story but you'd be hard pressed to argue that the game itself presented the idea that only gameplay matters. And you don't spend time and money writing, animating, and voicing a half hour's worth of scenes under the assumption that none of it matters, anyway.

1 minute ago, Soni said:

Colors looks great, as does Gens but does it still feels lacking in a lot of ways if you ask me. Most notably, the hubs. If Mario Galaxy can do hubs, what's Colors' excuse to go back to the barebones stage select screen.

Hubs aren't an inherent good. A game isn't lazier just because it chooses a straightforward way of accessing the actual content than making you wander around in a bad level to find it. And I doubt you'd call a game like SA2 barebones just for not having a hub world.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, nevermind. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Just wanted to drop a dumb joke and made a dumber choice to justify said dumb joke instead of just leaving it as is.

The intellectual genius that is me.

20 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

on the Sonic Channel website frontpage, there's a link to Project 2017, but the icon is animated and corrupted?

Maybe a hint to the overall style of the game?

It was there since this game was announced at the party July 22nd last year (well 25th to be more precise, look the url of the link). And yeah, probably means nothing but mystery of said project...

• Thumbs Up 2