Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Hmm... There doesn't seem to be a way to enter the panel for free like last year. In fact, I don't think that badge exists anymore.

Yeah, livestream would be nice.

*EDIT: Nevermind, guest passes are still there. They just haven't revealed any information about them, so no way of knowing if the panel is open to guest passes until then.

*EDIT: Apparently, all Gaming events now required a wristband to attend. A single day is $25, so not bad at all actually. Certainly WAY cheaper than any of the other passes.

11 hours ago, Soni said:

To those thinking 2017 will be revealed after Sonic Mania, pay up!

yeboi.png

Mark your calendars for March 16!

314066b89a0e2e48825de8120f94624e.png

d9f2c9e35074b23ef718309e791de26b.png

spaceghost_0.jpg

Maybe I'm just especially bitter today, but I think I'll be a lot better off when we get to a point in time that I'll never have to see that phrase associated with the series ever again.

But no for real, here's to hopes that Sonic 2017 and Mania will actually have news here like they're promising. SXSW's show last year just kinda hinted towards stuff and then said "...but then you'll see us at the Sonic 25th Party in wherever-the-heck for more info!!!!", which was (although in the end worth it) kind of irritating to put up with. So uhh, for now I'd at least say keep all of your expectations kinda low unless Aaron or someone else tells us it's more important than first assumption.

• Thumbs Up 7

14 minutes ago, Azoo said:

spaceghost_0.jpg

Maybe I'm just especially bitter today, but I think I'll be a lot better off when we get to a point in time that I'll never have to see that phrase associated with the series ever again.

I agree, it's so weird how this meme has become an official catchphrase of sorts for the franchise. Like, how many other franchises have ever done anything like this?

22 minutes ago, Azoo said:

spaceghost_0.jpg

But no for real, here's to hopes that Sonic 2017 and Mania will actually have news here like they're promising. SXSW's show last year just kinda hinted towards stuff and then said "...but then you'll see us at the Sonic 25th Party in wherever-the-heck for more info!!!!", which was (although in the end worth it) kind of irritating to put up with. So uhh, for now I'd at least say keep all of your expectations kinda low unless Aaron or someone else tells us it's more important than first assumption.

Yeah, this and 

Image result for you're too slow gif

makes me cringe. Haha.

Think can we expect another zone reveal for Mania, which by the time will be very close to the Spring release window. As for Project 2017, at the very least I expect a name reveal and it will have been nearly eight months since the announcement trailer, so another cutscene-only trailer isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

If we were to get a gameplay trailer (unlikely perhaps) it will be interesting to compare Mania's gameplay to P17 classic gameplay. I'm hoping the classic gameplay in P17 is an improvement over Gens.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I agree, it's so weird how this meme has become an official catchphrase of sorts for the franchise. Like, how many other franchises have ever done anything like this?

Does a phrase "reap and tear" from Doom counts? 

As for a panel itself, I expect a release date for Mania, name reveal for Project Sonic 2017 and some BIG news, if you now what I mean. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 hours ago, Azoo said:

spaceghost_0.jpg

Oh come on, that phrase is probably the best thing 4Kids ever gave to us. Its cool, quick, and catchy and is probably the best set of words to describe Sonic. It's kind of like the phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong" being the unofficial catch phrase for Donkey Kong yet a lot of people appreciate it.

Spoiler

Too bad Mario doesn't have a cool memetic catch phrase

On topic, finally some news for Project 2017! Honestly hoping for this new character to be revealed and for it to be playable instead of like a partner or villain or something. A small snippet of gameplay to be shown too, and something I can get behind.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't worry about that. If the P17 title is as serious as it looks SEGA won't want Aaron making a mockery of things to gunk up what the game is trying to go for so he'll likely start toning down the memes and quotes over the course of the year the closer the game gets to us so consumers have some capability of taking the title seriously the way they seem to be wanting people to.

• Thumbs Up 3

58 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I wouldn't worry about that. If the P17 title is as serious as it looks SEGA won't want Aaron making a mockery of things to gunk up what the game is trying to go for so he'll likely start toning down the memes and quotes over the course of the year the closer the game gets to us so consumers have some capability of taking the title seriously the way they seem to be wanting people to.

Nah, if anything a dark serious Sonic game would mean a ton more material for Aaron.

Hopefully I'll be invested in what'll get revealed this time. 

It's funny that whenever small tidbits of news crop up about the game, they use that awesome backdrop of Sonic's fist beside that burning city. It's harder then I thought it would be to try and keep myself from imagining Sonic and his friends going off to do something cool to take down the Evil Dr. Eggman in an adventure that'll be action-packed and have a well-tuned blend of comedy and drama. 

But I have to try because the smarter, cynical side of me knows that's not what it'll be.

But who knows? I never would have predicted the first 57 seconds of that trailer would have made my heart beat so passionately with excitement in a way that hasn't happened for years now either. 

I've never wanted to be completely wrong as much as I do right now. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Hopefully I'll be invested in what'll get revealed this time. 

It's funny that whenever small tidbits of news crop up about the game, they use that awesome backdrop of Sonic's fist beside that burning city. It's harder then I thought it would be to try and keep myself from imagining Sonic and his friends going off to do something cool to take down the Evil Dr. Eggman in an adventure that'll be action-packed and have a well-tuned blend of comedy and drama. 

But I have to try because the smarter, cynical side of me knows that's not what it'll be.

But who knows? I never would have predicted the first 57 seconds of that trailer would have made my heart beat so passionately with excitement in a way that hasn't happened for years now either. 

I've never wanted to be completely wrong as much as I do right now. 

Again, the best thing to expect is more of an Unleashed length in plot, with a direction steering toward Lost World in depth and a tone/script on par with Colors through the whole thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, JayRaR said:

Oh come on, that phrase is probably the best thing 4Kids ever gave to us. Its cool, quick, and catchy and is probably the best set of words to describe Sonic. It's kind of like the phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong" being the unofficial catch phrase for Donkey Kong yet a lot of people appreciate it.

It came from an embarrassingly animated and written anime (the 4Kids version, no less), is an oversimplification of Sonic as both a character and a game, and became notable as a quote from "Sanic" and other funny-cringe memery.

From the hardcore fans joking with each other, it was a great almost-affectionate in joke. When the world joined in, it became both an almost-demeaning phrase and general sweeping statement for the series as a whole. Combine that with all it came from, and... It's bad. :v

Reveal hidden contents

Too bad Mario doesn't have a cool memetic catch phrase

On topic, finally some news for Project 2017! Honestly hoping for this new character to be revealed and for it to be playable instead of like a partner or villain or something. A small snippet of gameplay to be shown too, and something I can get behind.

Hoping it gives us a name and gameplay footage (and MAYBE plot, but good luck there lol). Thats all I could want right now, really.

• Thumbs Up 2

So...

Does this mean everyone is starting to turn on Aaron's marketing tactics or something? I thought pretty much everyone loved all the meming and jokes and stuff...

Such fickle situations we live in.

Nah, I like the mischevious and fun spirit of Sonic's social media page. It's just getting predictable and stale (for me), and I'm generally tired of Sonic being seen as a big joke everyone's in on.. though that's far from the majority opinion lol.

But that's a subject for a different topic.

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Again, the best thing to expect is more of an Unleashed length in plot, with a direction steering toward Lost World in depth and a tone/script on par with Colors through the whole thing.

I don't really think that you can actually fully compare this one to any of the other games. This game seems a lot more serious and dark, which contrasts sharply with Lost World and Colors.

By the way, does anybody else think that there could be a death in this game? As in an anthropomorphic character dying, just like Sonic did in 06?

9 minutes ago, Sonic+Shadow+Silver=OP said:

I don't really think that you can actually fully compare this one to any of the other games. This game seems a lot more serious and dark, which contrasts sharply with Lost World and Colors.

By the way, does anybody else think that there could be a death in this game? As in an anthropomorphic character dying, just like Sonic did in 06?

There was a rumor that said a main series character would die in the game but you know about rumors, they fake AF!

And tbh, I don't think Lost World was as comical as Colors contrary to popular opinion. It attempted to reach that middleground tone Unleashed had imo, key word is "attempted".

34 minutes ago, Soni said:

There was a rumor that said a main series character would die in the game but you know about rumors, they fake AF!

And tbh, I don't think Lost World was as comical as Colors contrary to popular opinion. It attempted to reach that middleground tone Unleashed had imo, key word is "attempted".

Orbot/Cubot

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Orbot/Cubot

It's funny when you're wrong.

it'sobviouslygoingtobeeverysinglesoniccharacterthatisn'teggmansonictailsorbotandcubot

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Soni said:

It's funny when you're wrong.

it'sobviouslygoingtobeeverysinglesoniccharacterthatisn'teggmansonictailsorbotandcubot

If some character WAS to die one of them would be the only I see probable since SEGA wanted to kill them/Orbot off games ago. I think Orbot may have been intended to be a one-off deal in Unleashed but the writers expressed a huge interest in the character/characters so he/they were kept, likely to help emphasize the whole "bumbling Eggman" routine in recent games.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Soni said:

Oh no, as far as tone goes I thought Lost World was fine. Not ideal but it has a few select scenes in that game that, woven into a completely different narrative, would have been great. I actually really like a lot of the individual cutscenes in Lost World out of context. Like that scene where the Deadly Six turn on Eggman, the scene where Eggman punches the ice wall down, or the first scene in about 8 years to make me concerned for one of the characters when Zavok shows up in front of Sonic and says they're gonna turn Tails into a robot. There's no jokes. Sonic is completely serious. Zavok is being completely menacing. An awesome dark version of the Deadly Six theme is playing in the background. It's great.

In context though, it all just doesn't work. They took a few steps forward in some areas and a few steps back in others, keeping it pretty stagnated. 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

It came from an embarrassingly animated and written anime (the 4Kids version, no less), is an oversimplification of Sonic as both a character and a game, and became notable as a quote from "Sanic" and other funny-cringe memery.

From the hardcore fans joking with each other, it was a great almost-affectionate in joke. When the world joined in, it became both an almost-demeaning phrase and general sweeping statement for the series as a whole. Combine that with all it came from, and... It's bad. :v

Hoping it gives us a name and gameplay footage (and MAYBE plot, but good luck there lol). Thats all I could want right now, really.

I'm not sure who you talked to or what you've seen that would make that phrase "almost-demeaning" and "general sweeping" but I've always taken the use of it to be in good fun. Same with Sanic. "You're too slow" however I could see since it's like a combination of troll and annoyance that could be demeaning. While the 4Kids adaptation was pretty bad, the anime it based off on wasn't too much better. 

A name and gameplay footage should be shoe-ins, but just ANOTHER teaser or announcement would be annoyingly grating lol. As for the plot, I just want a simple plot reeking of adventurous spirit be even I feel that's too much to ask for. 

Just now, Dr. Chaotix said:

Oh no, as far as tone goes I thought Lost World was fine.Not ideal but it has a few select scenes in that game that, woven into a completely different narrative, would have been great. I actually really like a lot of the individual cutscenes in Lost World out of context. Like that scene where the Deadly Six turn on Eggman, the scene where Eggman punches the ice wall down, or the first scene in about 8 years to make me concerned for one of the characters when Zavok shows up in front of Sonic and says they're gonna turn Tails into a robot. There's no jokes. Sonic is completely serious. Zavok is being completely menacing. An awesome dark version of the Deadly Six theme is playing in the background. It's great.

In context though, it all just doesn't work. They took a few steps forward in some areas and a few steps back in others, keeping it pretty stagnated. 

I won't deny that Lost World's story is very messy and disjointed but I liked those scenes even if there was no eventual payoff for most of them, if any.

The problem with Lost World tonally is that it doesn't strike a middle ground between light and dark so much as it flips between the two extremes at the drop of a hat. Basically, instead of having a consistently balanced tone throughout, like Unleashed, or starting lighter and then gradually transitioning to a darker tone as the stakes rise, like Adventure 2Lost World jumps from "That was cool! Pun entirely intended." to "I'll get fat eating your black hearts!" and back again in the space of a single cutscene. The end result is something which could be compared to having a clown at a funeral: The joy that the clown is supposed to bring and the sadness of the funeral don't balance out. Instead the solemnity of the funeral is shattered by the clown's presence, and the clown's act falls flat due to the context of the funeral. All of this is not to suggest that you shouldn't have both humorous and dramatic moments, on the contrary, I'd recommended it, just don't do it like Lost World where there's no segue, no bathos, just preschool level joke one second then BAM gruesome death threat the next.

Of course, this doesn't even begin to cover the myriad of other problems with Lost World's story, but those are matters for another time.

• Thumbs Up 9

51 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

The problem with Lost World tonally is that it doesn't strike a middle ground between light and dark so much as it flips between the two extremes at the drop of a hat. Basically, instead of having a consistently balanced tone throughout, like Unleashed, or starting lighter and then gradually transitioning to a darker tone as the stakes rise, like Adventure 2Lost World jumps from "That was cool! Pun entirely intended." to "I'll get fat eating your black hearts!" and back again in the space of a single cutscene. The end result is something which could be compared to having a clown at a funeral: The joy that the clown is supposed to bring and the sadness of the funeral don't balance out. Instead the solemnity of the funeral is shattered by the clown's presence, and the clown's act falls flat due to the context of the funeral. All of this is not to suggest that you shouldn't have both humorous and dramatic moments, on the contrary, I'd recommended it, just don't do it like Lost World where there's no segue, no bathos, just preschool level joke one second then BAM gruesome death threat the next.

Of course, this doesn't even begin to cover the myriad of other problems with Lost World's story, but those are matters for another time.

D@mn dude, I laughed out loud and felt majorly depressed at the same time by that one. That's a way of describing the plot I've never seen, nor' considered before... For any Sonic related thing really. Good on ya.

You're my favorite person for the day thanks to originality.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Pokémon, Gotta Catch 'Em All!! : O

*then tries to think of a ZKC catchphrase, but fails. Maybe "Yeah! Zettai! Daitan!" could work. : P*

On topic, though, I'm hoping there's some information to at least shed a little light on Project 2017, although I'm not expecting much. All I'm really expecting is something small, like tiny questions and answers with some "can't reveal that at the moment, but wait and see!" In there. I can see them maybe showing off a new zone for Mania, but nothing much for Project 2017 until E3 hits, or unless they reveal another Sonic-based event. Pretty much hoping for something, but not expecting a whole lot. : P