Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

If I remember correctly, Eggman (or Robotnik as he was then) held Tails to ransom in the GG/MS Sonic 2. I believe the manual said "If you want to see him alive again, bring the chaos emeralds to the Crystal Egg Zone!" 

It's implied that Tails dies if you fail to get them all. Watch the end credits. Probably the darkest ending in the franchise. 

1 minute ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

If I remember correctly, Eggman (or Robotnik as he was then) held Tails to ransom in the GG/MS Sonic 2. I believe the manual said "If you want to see him alive again, bring the chaos emeralds to the Crystal Egg Zone!" 

It's implied that Tails dies if you fail to get them all. Watch the end credits. Probably the darkest ending in the franchise. 

Is this just all gonna be a laundry list of "look, the Classics did this dark thing"? 

Again, that's a consequence for the bad ending. I'm talking about my first impression of Project 2017. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The darkest ending would be Metal Sonic Kai burning everywhere to the ground in Chaotix, but that's a bad ending too.

Technically, the darkest ending that was the proper ending was Eggman conquering the world when Sonic and co return from the Twilight Cage in Sonic Chronicles, but that was just a stupid cliffhanger that never got resolved because it was shit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Oh, come on! You guys really think that this game will be doom and gloom, just because of the teaser? Now the teaser from Sonic Unleashed was a white background, does that mean the whole game is going to be in a white background?

Man, don't be dense. No one is saying every stage is going to be a burning, ruined city, but when that and that alone is what you lead with, that is sending a message. And we all know what the message is, we all recognize that this is an attempt to make the series feel darker, more serious, more "epic". And some people don't like that. Quit acting like people are crazy for pointing out what we all know to be true just because you disagree with their opinion regarding it.

Also Generations did in a sense take place almost entirely in the white void, so.

1 hour ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

And sure, Sonic Lost World is an amaaazing game with the best style for stages. Don't we all love those Minecraft trees, cardboard bushes and flying donut land? Not even Kirby fits.

Far more than this dark, "serious" wankery, yeah. But regardless there are styles that fall between the two, you know?

• Thumbs Up 6

I want to meet the teens or kids that started using the word edge as some sort of term for anytime someone tries to make something dark.

Sega has had plenty of dark moments in the series. It was during the heroes arc upward *though it took a break* and than reared its ugly head in colors , generations about the real super power of teamwork!

The game can be dark and still be good without "edge" or sucking. Sometimes its nice to change things up when you work on them and not rush them out the door to hit a holiday release. Sure if you like seeing cheerful bright colors, cringe worthy jokes, 4th wall humor, that is fine but every now and again some things can be good when darker elements are tossed in. Such as say samurai jacks comeback

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, it's not like Sonic Team can only work in extremes, they can keep a game lighthearted while still giving it an epic and dark atmosphere, Unleashed for the most part was Lighthearted, and the ending was still pretty damn epic, Lost World for the most part was cringy levels of lighthearted, yet by the end of the game basically the entire cast but Sonic was pretty much dead and the Earth was slowly being stripped of it's life.

I mean if one would want to over analyze it, the trailer has a city that looks like it uses City Escape Generations assets, all buildings while still having a lot of detail, have a cartoony feel to them, not completely reallistic. And the robots are still round, egg shaped and colorful. There's a bigger intensity to the atmosphere, yes, but everything is still there, if anything, the teaser is showing they'll try to give a damn to the plot this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I want to meet the teens or kids that started using the word edge as some sort of term for anytime someone tries to make something dark.

Sega has had plenty of dark moments in the series. It was during the heroes arc upward *though it took a break* and than reared its ugly head in colors , generations about the real super power of teamwork!

The game can be dark and still be good without "edge" or sucking. Sometimes its nice to change things up when you work on them and not rush them out the door to hit a holiday release. Sure if you like seeing cheerful bright colors, cringe worthy jokes, 4th wall humor, that is fine but every now and again some things can be good when darker elements are tossed in. Such as say samurai jacks comeback

The game you used as an example of dark stuff being "good" is widely considered as one of the worst Sonic games ever made, in considerable due to it having an utterly laughable narrative.

Yeah uh, I'll take those "cringeworthy jokes" over Shadow's dross any day, sure thing. Especially given Colours and Generations, the games you listed as examples of those, kick the shit out Shadow and the like; and that's bearing in mind I don't even like Colours! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, March 16 isn't too far away, so it won't take long until we see some details.

Also, sorry if wasn't clear, but I wasn't being dense or even serious about this topic. I was joking about Lost World. And I was joking about the Unleashed white background example. Just trying to have a lighthearted conversation here. Just like this game will turn out to be! :P

I don't think people are crazy for not liking what I do. I'm just happy with how the tone of this game will be. And no, is not going to be like ShadowTH or Sonic '06.

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Sega has had plenty of dark moments in the series.

And how often have they actually worked? And I mean for more than just the hardcore fanbase actively clamoring for more of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm okay with the new tone the game is taking. I wanted it for a long time, it worked well for Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight so I see no reason why it can't work here. If Mickey Mouse can be in a game like Kingdom Hearts, a game with a serious tone (most of the time), then I don't see why Sonic wouldn't be allowed to do the same.

I say that, but I'm not expecting much of the story if somehow Pontac and Graff are writing it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

I'm okay with the new tone the game is taking. I wanted it for a long time, it worked well for Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight so I see no reason why it can't work here. If Mickey Mouse can be in a game like Kingdom Hearts, a game with a serious tone (most of the time), then I don't see why Sonic wouldn't be allowed to do the same.

I say that, but I'm not expecting much of the story if somehow Pontac and Graff are writing it.

If it's like Unleashed's tone, sure, fine. That game's tone was perfect.

Right now, this looks more like 06's end of the scale. Which isn't the best image to draw up with marketing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And how often have they actually worked? And I mean for more than just the hardcore fanbase actively clamoring for more of it.

Better question.

Outside of a licensed game, like Alien Isolation, How many games have Sega made, in which this has actually worked?

I can only think of maybe one small part of every Yakuza game since Yakuza 3, and... maybe a quarter of Binary Domain (made by the same studio I think), and even then the majority of it is no way near the level of dark serious stuff that even the worst Sonic games have gone for.

Even House of the Dead Overkill didn't try it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Well, March 16 isn't too far away, so it won't take long until we see some details.

OK I guess it's because of the current discussion direction but I read "details" in your posts as "deaths" and I had to do a double take.

For a minute I thought you were saying the game would actually be revealed with characters being killed off or something lmao.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Soni said:

Spoiler warning: Tails dies in Project 2017

No, duh, he always dies.

If Tails is actually the villain of Project 2017, then this is gonna be the best Sonic game ever made!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

Those days are over. Tails is the final boss.

Implying we won't just get a cutscene with the perfect setup for a Tails boss battle that ends up solving said setup almost instantly just like Colors and Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Ratcicle King said:

Implying we won't just get a cutscene with the perfect setup for a Tails boss battle that ends up solving said setup almost instantly just like Colors and Lost World.

"Whoa, I'm gonna fight Tails, so cool! Oh, no I don't."

"Whoa, I'm gonna fight MECHA TAILS!! Oh, turns out his whole capture was pointless. I don't fight him."

"Whoa, I'm gonna fight Tails' FINAL FORM!! Oh, he doesn't have a final form, and I still will never fight him."

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of tone, I have to agree with @Tracker_TD that Unleashed had the ideal one for a Sonic game: It starts out light-hearted, with a lot of humor and character interaction, and it gradually gets more serious as more plot elements are revealed, climaxing with a final boss with end-of-the-world stakes- but even toward the end of the game, there are still plenty of jokes and breather moments throughout.

That's what I want in a Sonic story- a strong blend of action and humor, high stakes but not too much grit or drama, and maybe an occasional nod to a past installment or something. An overly serious or convoluted story can bomb hard, as with Shadow and '06, but Generations and Lost World show that you can also go too far in the opposite direction by not giving players enough substance or telling nothing but terrible jokes.

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

The game you used as an example of dark stuff being "good" is widely considered as one of the worst Sonic games ever made, in considerable due to it having an utterly laughable narrative.

Yeah uh, I'll take those "cringeworthy jokes" over Shadow's dross any day, sure thing. Especially given Colours and Generations, the games you listed as examples of those, kick the shit out Shadow and the like; and that's bearing in mind I don't even like Colours! 

Widely considered by who? Die heart stateside fans. Was not the reason the game made because those in japan wanted to see sonic with a gun or use them and they used shadow to keep sonic "pure" so to say? That being said were not elements cut and events dropped to fit the e10 rating when originally they were pushing for a higher teen rating. Light things are ok to an extent. But after some time some fans want the series they followed since the start of the 90s to go mature but do it well and work it on the same they are doing mania. Rushing leads to things like 06 and shoving it out early was a mistake.

Give me a villian intent on killing sonic and everyone on the planet if they do not submit to them. Do not give me wonky villians with no ill intent who just want to do some oh i just want to be the typical....actually no...don't be a fucking time eater. Lord the build up for that boss was painful. Just painful.