Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

This is definitely one of the longer waits we've had for a 3D Sonic game, by the time it's out SLW would be four years old. 

I just hope this is a decently meaty experience that doesn't last only  two to four  hours and is polished and also exciting

But I know to still keep those expectations low 

• Thumbs Up 4

A title for the game and a confirmation of it being playable at E3 is all I need tbh

I have uh... Relatively low standards for these things, hehe.

10 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

I keep thinking it's Sonic Revolution. I was thinking Resistance but now it sounds odd.

Sonic Revolution would be an awesome title. But people would get it confused with the convention. Im expecting a title, a new trailer, and hopefully, a plot synopsis.

30 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Sonic Revolution would be an awesome title. But people would get it confused with the convention. Im expecting a title, a new trailer, and hopefully, a plot synopsis.

*cough* cough* Sonic Boom

Whatever the story for Project 2017 is, I wouldn't mind if Sonic Team went with a tone we saw in Unleashed. 

I'm personally cool with the lighter tone the series has had since 2010. This is after all a series about a blue hedgehog who runs fast who has to stop an egg shaped man putting animals into robots. Unleashed managed to blend a light and dark tone perfectly and it's still to this day one of the best stories in the series. If the trailer for this game is hinting at a slightly darker tone, then i'd love to see them go in the route of Unleashed. Keep the light-hearted humor but make the stakes high  so the humor is used at appropriate moments.

But hey as long as the gameplay is good, that's what I care about the most about with this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Azoo said:

As the following day approaches, remember this mantra for upcoming Sonic games (that aren't Mania):

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

In the words of Sonic himself, "It's the only way to live life without regrets".

Honestly until further notice, I'm just about convinced that Sonic Team is just going to resort to more meta pandering concepts (having a classic and modern Sonic or possibly throwing in a Boom Sonic (because who cares about integrity anymore, right?)), try to tell a serious story and fall flat on it's face, or include more than one gameplay style instead of honing into and making the best of one.

That's not to say I don't believe they could return to making great games (I hope they could and tbh I can see it in what Unleashed, Colors and Gens brought to the table), but from my experience it's best to not expect it. Let me tell ya, I'm hoping they pull through. However that would work, idk, but we'll see it when we get there.

Can't say I'm not anxious to get it over with though. It's been... yeesh, four years.

They COULD go back to making great games, but here's the kicker...

(It means replacing most/all of the Sonic Team staff that have worked on Sonic for 20+ years and are sick of him/uninterested)

Look at what a new team is doing here in the west, the Fire and Ice and Mania titles are spectacular because the people behind them were fresh, ripe, new and hyped.

Sonic Team is full of tired seniors that don't know when to quit and can't get past former glory days.

(Edit)

And uh... BlueTidal...?

This is after all a series about a blue hedgehog who runs fast who has to stop an egg shaped man putting animals into robots.

Can we PLEASE stop using that EXACT line as an excuse to justify and/or abolish things in this franchise...?

• Thumbs Up 3

The Sonic Team of now is also what was (in 2008) young new recruit that replaced over half of the original "tired seniors" Sonic Team that made all of the worst games in the franchise, which was only in part to being worked to exhaustion, given no time to polish anything, losing all passion for making Sonic content, and their leader taking that all in to such an extent that he had to leave permanently just to do what he wanted to again (even if that meant being screwed into obscurity for the rest of time).

So in short, that narrative has at least three holes. :v

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the current Sonic Team is also tired. Although they're actually made of people shifting all around Sega studios in and out, Sonic Team has still only ever been known for making Sonic games since Unleashed came around.

It would be good for them to do the same thing they did in 2008 sometime soon, but at this point it's hard to know if they already have or not (or even need to anymore, what with all the renovation).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

The Sonic team of now has made games that have gotten more universal acclaim than the Sonic Team of the 2000s who made SA1/2/Heroes/Unleashed. The great irony is that if anyone needs to move on, it's us. 

Uhhh...

...It's kind of the same Sonic Team especially since Iizuka was in charge then and now, heck he even masterminded the Adventure games when Naka WAS over his head so Iizuka was pretty much in charge even when Naka was in office.

The Sonic Team of now is also what was (in 2008) young new recruit that replaced over half of the original "tired seniors" Sonic Team that made all of the worst games in the franchise, which was only in part to being worked to exhaustion, given no time to polish anything, losing all passion for making Sonic content, and their leader taking that all in to such an extent that he had to leave permanently just to do what he wanted to again.

I don't think that many "seniors" have been replaced. Sure some here and there but I'd wager there are plenty still left, with Iizuka being the prime candidate for a necessary replacement/retirement since his direction is constantly all over the place and always has been, going from SA and SA2 to Heroes, then swinging back to Shadow/06, then swinging to Colors and Lost World...

There are people in Sonic Team that need to call it quits for both, the quality of the franchise, and their own peace of minds. Personally my desire is to see Iizuka work for some other company making games that clearly cater to his tastes. His concepts aren't BAD all together, his directions AREN'T altogether horrible, but for the Sonic franchise, by and large they are, and very, VERY confusing.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Uhhh...

...It's kind of the same Sonic Team especially since Iizuka was in charge then and now, heck he even masterminded the Adventure games when Naka WAS over his head so Iizuka was pretty much in charge even when Naka was in office.

But that doesn't have to do with what you said. You're saying they're out of steam now when they're doing better for themselves now than they were back  then. 

Just now, Josh said:

But that doesn't have to do with what you said. You're saying they're out of steam now when they're doing better for themselves now than they were back  then. 

I think Generations and Lost World prove otherwise. After the initial nostalgia wore off Generations turned out to be fairly lackluster by and large for many, possibly most who reflect on it in terms of content/length and overall plot.

I'd say they were doing better back in the days of the two Adventure titles, Heroes, and Unleashed, their three shining moments that were muddled with mistakes between games.

(Not including the Advance and Rush games coming out at the time, hot d@$m was it an excellent time to be a fan)

Sonic Team is smarter now, things changed. They made Lost World, people didn't like it much, and Boom is a spin off, not made by them.

I'm pretty sure they are going to do a game based on those games:

frame_0000_large.jpg

Because people liked those games. And Generations improved (The level design at least) over Colors.

Now they stopped trying to do games in five months, things can get even better. Now they have time to think about they are doing and polish what they are doing. That's why I'm hopeful for something good. What Sonic game had at least 3 years of development?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think Generations and Lost World prove otherwise. After the initial nostalgia wore off Generations turned out to be fairly lackluster by and large for many, possibly most who reflect on it in terms of content/length and overall plot.

I'd say they were doing better back in the days of the two Adventure titles, Heroes, and Unleashed, their three shining moments that were muddled with mistakes between games.

(Not including the Advance and Rush games coming out at the time, hot d@$m was it an excellent time to be a fan)

I didn't know this was all about how you personally felt about Sonic. I thought we were talking about how the brand was received, since that's actually something you can argue with beyond "I liked it better this way."

Just now, Josh said:

I didn't know this was all about how you personally felt about Sonic. I thought we were talking about how the brand was received, since that's actually something you can argue with beyond "I liked it better this way."

I'm mixing personal stances alongside facts. There has been a gradual uptick in the dissatisfaction with Generations post-launch as time has moved on and people reflect on it more and more.

Lost World speaks volumes for itself.

it's also very true that in between the titles I mentioned there were the notorious mistakes made, with the handheld titles very much indeed being the forgotten gems of their time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can call 2004-2007 many things, but "an excellent time to be a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog" is absolutely not one of them, lmfao.

But that's enough of this; we've driven off course turning a discussion about expectation levels into a sermon about how Sonic just ain't what he used to be. Back on track, kids, back on track! You have a few hours short of a full day left, keep it together!

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think Generations and Lost World prove otherwise.

I'd beg to differ.

Generations, while an admittedly criminally short game that SEGA ordered have it story cut (can't really blame the writing team of Sonic Team supposedly running out of steam on that,) , is still regarded as one of the best, and praised gameplay-wise as a refinement of the Boost formula in the wake of Colors too.

Lost World honestly, at worst was a harmless venture with a new gameplay style. It was an okay game at worst that only straw grabbers would try to use as a means of mockery to the franchise. It was nothing to suggest that Sonic Team were out of steam really. And quality wise, Lost World definitely did a better job at keeping itself together technically in polish than Sonic Team back in the past.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Azoo said:

I can call 2004-2007 many things, but "an excellent time to be a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog" is absolutely not one of them, lmfao.

But that's enough of this; we've driven off course turning a discussion about expectation levels into a sermon about how Sonic just ain't what he used to be. Back on track, kids, back on track! You have a few hours short of a full day left, keep it together!

I'm just wondering one thing...

...Will we see Eggman Nega again?

28 minutes ago, Azoo said:

The Sonic Team of now is also what was (in 2008) young new recruit that replaced over half of the original "tired seniors" Sonic Team that made all of the worst games in the franchise, which was only in part to being worked to exhaustion, given no time to polish anything, losing all passion for making Sonic content, and their leader taking that all in to such an extent that he had to leave permanently just to do what he wanted to again.

So in short, that narrative has at least three holes. :v

That's only regarding the Sonic Team half that was back in Japan, though. Most of the games they did under Naka's tenure, prior to Sonic 2006 debacle, were original projects like Billy Hatcher, Phantasy Star Online, Samba de Amigo, and the like. The Sonic Team USA/Sega Studio USA offshoot that were responsible for most of the Sonic Team games up to that point were spearheaded by Iizuka, and it goes without saying that Iizuka hasn't gone anywhere. :v (Heck, he was actually promoted to lead the main Sonic Team studio back in that year --2008-- while Unleashed and Black Knight were in production and after Sonic Team USA was dissolved.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

Unless you were 7-10 years old and didn't know much about what a good game actually was, like me. Sonic 06 was the BOMB back then for me, hehe

AW geez, my excitement for tomorrow is rising like crazy. I can't wait!!

1 hour ago, Scar said:

The whole situation is one step forwards and two steps back. Generations got the good will Sonic Team needed to get some momentum. Lost World was experimental but people forgave it because Generations was in everyone's memories and it was an experimental approach. Sonic Boom nuked all that shit from orbit and we're back to square one. Project 2017 has to basically revive the franchise as Colours and Generations did 6 years ago.

The only way we're gonna get past the whole 'meta pandering' shite is if SEGA stop self-sabotaging the franchise. Lost World wasn't a great game, wasn't good tbh, but it demonstrated to me that Sonic Team were at the very least aware of the limitations of previous games and were working to find a solution to create a more robust gameplay. It didn't work, but I could see that they tried. 

Need another Unleashed-level game. I don't mean a game with all its failings, but a game with all that passion. If shit like Boom keep happening, Sonic Team will be too busy doing damage control to even have a fucking chance.

SEGA of Japan are to blame so they did it to themselves. Keep in mind it was the east that surprised the staff behind BOOM with a sudden exclusivity contract toward the end of the titles development.

They've had a pretty long history of causing trouble for the Western side of the company. Immature president, marketing and bundle drama, wiping out Sonic Team of America, just to name a few Eastern mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to put my two cent in here, I think the Sonic Team should go back to the drawing board after these two games, whether they're successful or not. The Sonic Team should at least consider making other IPs, because damn, I sure do miss NiGHTS and Jet Set Radio, and leave the Sonic brand for awhile.

Sonic isn't as big as it used to be and I understand that even though Sonic isn't as big, it's still bigger than their other IPs. I would love a refresher of their older IPs, I don't want no re-releases anymore, because who knows maybe NiGHTS might be just as big as Sonic if they give it another try. Or any other IP for that, just look at the buzz Shenmue 3 got when it got announced.

and I really want another NiGHTS game...

9 minutes ago, Joellui said:

Just to put my two cent in here, I think the Sonic Team should go back to the drawing board after these two games, whether they're successful or not. The Sonic Team should at least consider making other IPs, because damn, I sure do miss NiGHTS and Jet Set Radio, and leave the Sonic brand for awhile.

Sonic isn't as big as it used to be and I understand that even though Sonic isn't as big, it's still bigger than their other IPs. I would love a refresher of their older IPs, I don't want no re-releases anymore, because who knows maybe NiGHTS might be just as big as Sonic if they give it another try. Or any other IP for that, just look at the buzz Shenmue 3 got when it got announced.

and I really want another NiGHTS game...

Pretty positive it's SEGA of Japan enforcing "Sonic Only" as the rule for Sonic Team so they likely WANT to, but aren't ALLOWED to.

Iizuka stated he wants to, but considering SEGA screwed over his last project by forcing it into Wii exclusivity during development, not likely.