Jump to content
Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"


Badnik Mechanic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Shaddy Zaphod

I will say, something about the way Sonic moves in the gameplay definitely looks different, even if it is just the animations. There seems to be a lot of fluidity between the different actions we see him perform. Unfortunately, that footage (which admittedly was probably from the very start of the first level) never actually has a point where Sonic moves left or right, so we won't actually know if his control is as stiff as it was in Unleashed (and Generations sorta). If it's closer to Colors, that'd be nice.

Honestly there's no real problems with the Boost gameplay on it's own, I just hope we're not constantly shoved into dull slow 2D sections when playing as Modern. Leave those to the version of Sonic that can actually pull them off.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't really agree with that, I think a lot of work goes into how Mario moves. It's just that they got it mostly right in 3D the first time, while Sonic never has.

Rails and narrow platforms over pits aren't my idea of good Sonic level design.

I'm not exactly shooting for the moon here, but I stand firm here. Yeah it was over a huge death pit, but honestly I cannot think of any other way of making that particular type of level difficult without pits. You can talk all you like about the classics, but 3D isn't the same as 2D. The only alternative is a shit-load of environmental hazards that become so frustrating and slow that it somehow becomes much more fun to just die and try again. But this I think is deviating too far from the game at hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr. Detective Mike
1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I don't really agree with that, I think a lot of work goes into how Mario moves. It's just that they got it mostly right in 3D the first time, while Sonic never has.

Didn't mean to imply that a lot of work doesn't go into how he moves. It just means it's not as complicated an endeavor to figure out what works from the get go.

Sonic can't partly because what he's supposed to do is harder in comparison. It also doesn't help that the people in charge of him probably aren't as efficient at making whatever they come up with stick too.

However, I shouldn't even be having a conversation about gameplay. I'm a story, characters, I-want-an-experience, type of guy. If the gameplay is fun I tend not to think too hard about anything else involving it. Although, I can speculate on why another type of gameplay might not be as enjoyable to me. That's about as far as I can comfortably take it a lot of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I will say, something about the way Sonic moves in the gameplay definitely looks different, even if it is just the animations

I swear his starting walk and jog is a bit faster this time, unless maybe this game's got a run button. (please don't)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cyrus said:

I swear his starting walk and jog is a bit faster this time, unless maybe this game's got a run button. (please don't)

Having a run and boost button would be the epitome of redundant game design.

  • Thumbs Up 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone who wants to know when more Modern Sonic gameplay for Forces, Sergio mentioned that they'll show it off at 8AM PST.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr. Detective Mike

Even though I don't have a problem with the boost, it'd be interesting to have another 3-D Sonic game where the only "button" that affected how fast you went was the analog stick that pushes you forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RictalRose0

One thing I don't understand about the Wisp though is why not just use the other characters instead of these alien thingies. Or have their powers be a copy of the power from other characters. Flying, Knuckles, Fire, Hammer, etc. I don't know I don't get the idea of the Wisps or why they're used so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Detective Kaito
2 minutes ago, Soni said:

For anyone who wants to know when more Modern Sonic gameplay for Forces, Sergio mentioned that they'll show it off at 8AM PST.

So in...15 hours? Damn, I'm heading to bed then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so fucking excited for this. I loved Generations to bits. All it needed is improved control and level design, and i would like other characters to play as. Stick to what works.

People also need to remember Iizuka has already confirmed a third, new gameplay component as well.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scar said:

Having a run and boost button would be the epitome of redundant game design.

You sure? What if you gotta go fast for the time trial, but don't need to barrel through enemies or fly through the air?

Anyways, I'm excited as per usual. Though anything Sonic is awesome to me. Even though I have no clue what it is outside of a name, an unfinished theme song, and a snippet of a level.

Just now, RictalRose0 said:

One thing I don't understand about the Wisp though is why not just use the other characters instead of these alien thingies. Or have their powers be a copy of the power from other characters. Flying, Knuckles, Fire, Hammer, etc. I don't know I don't get the idea of the Wisps or why they're used so much.

I'd rather not have character switching midway through a level if it isn't done Sonic Heroes style. Also, not all Wisps match up to characters well. Laser? Asteroid? Spikes?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zavok the SpinningSilver

Hot dog. I'm really hyped for this one! The title, concept art and theme preview are all reinforcing that tension from the original trailer. I know everyone's really focusing on the gameplay reveals, but that story is taunting me with its possibilities...

As for the footage, I am a happy boy. I was hoping the Boost gameplay wouldn't be scrapped yet, but further expanded on for at least one more game. Time will tell exactly how things work, but I'm getting some good vibes so far. Hopefully that embargo lift tomorrow floods us with more footage.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Knopps
5 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

One thing I don't understand about the Wisp though is why not just use the other characters instead of these alien thingies. Or have their powers be a copy of the power from other characters. Flying, Knuckles, Fire, Hammer, etc. I don't know I don't get the idea of the Wisps or why they're used so much.

A lack of budget, time and effort is the only valid excuse I can accept

Why put in the work for other characters when you can just put in aliens, give all their abilities to Sonic, and tell folks "Well, he can do all that so... Whatever."

Plus as others have pointed out, the East likes the Wisps, and their likes tend to go first, sadly, in their titles despite the dislike of Western audiences. Thank god for SEGA of America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lucid Dream

I want to get hyped, but I really can't. It honestly feels like very little was shown. We already all knew it was going to be a boost game with classic Sonic levels and something "new". At least the engine looks nice and is new, but that's nothing to get particularly excited over. All we saw was Sonic run down a corridor, boost through a few enemies and do a homing attack chain. A pretty disappointing and bland reveal. The music is great (as per usual) so that makes me happy at least. 

I guess I'll be waiting for some better news. Hopefully something that'll give a stronger indication towards the quality of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr. Detective Mike

And also, if they did actually further expand on the boost, I'll admit that it wasn't represented in what we saw there. 

Despite being okay with them using it again the thought that kept plaguing my mind was how I couldn't see enough of the cool looking city because Sonic kept trying to squeeze through those narrow corridors.

I'm okay with linearity. Honestly, I am. I like going from point A to B. I do. But it helps a lot if you can at least make it feel a little more expansive and open too.

You know, like an adventure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering most people were telling Sega to go back to what worked after the mixed reception that was Lost World, I'm not seeing anything worth being disappointed about from this. We haven't even seen more than a minute of footage and already it's being written off as too boring and linear.

Guys don't forget we were asking for a return to this; don't go telling Sega and Sonic Team this isn't what we wanted when there are certainly plenty of people, myself included, that are happy to return to some consistency with Sonic. 

And if you're disappointed that they didn't show much, don't forget that they can still show off more at E3 this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Maxtiis said:

Considering most people were telling Sega to go back to what worked after the mixed reception that was Lost World, I'm not seeing anything worth being disappointed about from this. We haven't even seen more than a minute of footage and already it's being written off as too boring and linear.

Guys don't forget we were asking for a return to this; don't go telling Sega and Sonic Team this isn't what we wanted when there are certainly plenty of people, myself included, that are happy to return to some consistency with Sonic. 

And if you're disappointed that they didn't show much, don't forget that they can still show off more at E3 this year.

Who's "we"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snowragnarok
10 minutes ago, Cheawn said:

You sure? What if you gotta go fast for the time trial, but don't need to barrel through enemies or fly through the air?

Anyways, I'm excited as per usual. Though anything Sonic is awesome to me. Even though I have no clue what it is outside of a name, an unfinished theme song, and a snippet of a level.

I'd rather not have character switching midway through a level if it isn't done Sonic Heroes style. Also, not all Wisps match up to characters well. Laser? Asteroid? Spikes?

At a stretch, one could tie Spikes to Rouge, Laser to anyone using Chaos Control, and there's always inventing new characters...

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL watch them not even explain why Classic Sonic is there he just shows up to fuck with all of us.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

Main theme is fucking lit, I'll tell ya. This is Ohtani and Senoue, no doubt, it's the same kind of sound directing from their most recent work in Runners.

 

But the real question is: who's gonna sing????

Let's all form a prayer circle for Crush 40 to finally come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Marcello said:

Who's "we"?

Just general Sonic fans that enjoyed Colors and Generations I suppose. I thought I wasn't alone in this notion, but whatever, I suppose that was being a bit presumptuous on my part.

Like the old saying goes, "When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me," in this case I guess I sound like the biggest ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • azoo locked this topic
  • azoo unlocked this topic
  • Nepenthe locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.