Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Chili Dawg said:

LOL watch them not even explain why Classic Sonic is there he just shows up to fuck with all of us.

Depends on the writers. Surprising that wasn't revealed.

Just now, Maxtiis said:

Just general Sonic fans that enjoyed Colors and Generations I suppose. I thought I wasn't alone in this notion, but whatever, I suppose that was being a bit presumptuous on my part.

Like the old saying goes, "When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me," in this case I guess I sound like the biggest ass.

For what it's worth, I do prefer Boost over Lost World's gameplay and I think it's the best way to go for SEGA, since it is the most well received 3D gameplay of the series. It's just not really what I want from the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I know where the story is going. Eggman will somehow transport Sonic into a world or reality where he has succed in his plans. Wheter or not this will include the other is anyone's guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

What DO I want from the gameplay? Like actually want and not just am okay with?

I guess I want what he did back in the Adventure to Heroes days but tweaked and perfected for something that works as a game coming out in 2017. 

But I have a nagging fear that there's going to also be an influx of explanations surrounding why that can't work either.

33 minutes ago, Scar said:

I'm not exactly shooting for the moon here, but I stand firm here. Yeah it was over a huge death pit, but honestly I cannot think of any other way of making that particular type of level difficult without pits. You can talk all you like about the classics, but 3D isn't the same as 2D. The only alternative is a shit-load of environmental hazards that become so frustrating and slow that it somehow becomes much more fun to just die and try again.

If you want to make an argument in favor for the level design for Unleashed / boost games in general, that's one thing, but this is a terrible defense. Level design for most  3D Sonic games (emphasis on most 3D Sonic games here, because I don't think the boost games alone are guilty of this) being linear halls over bottomless pits has nothing to do with gameplay perspective or similarity to the Genesis games. Different gameplay conventions and expectations notwithstanding, 3D Mario games for example has no problem with having a varied array of level design that aren't linear halls over bottomless pits, while also not (directly) following on the level design of the 2D Mario titles.

For what it's worth, I'd say the levels in Sonic Adventure were considerably less restrictive in playspace and also didn't have bottomless pits for the majority of its levels. Sonic R even moreso, even given I'm bending the rules here as that's a pure racer rather than a platformer. If Sonic Forces miraculously turned out to have level design like those games, I'd be happy to praise it, but given the history of the boost gameplay and level design that accommodates it, I'm not holding my breath.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a huge fan of the logo, speaking as a person who works as graphic designer.

The inclination is a bit off, the font used in "Forces" is generic and doesn't even have any sort of gimmick to compensate its lack of originality. The logo is also too much asymmetrical, which isn't bad, but in this case it simply doesn't look good.

:V

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Mario for example has able to has no problem with making 3D levels that aren't bottomless pits while also not following on the level design 2D Mario titles.

Super Mario 3D Land's and World's levels are just obstacle courses over a pit.

Generally, the pit's just the defined end of the playable area, so they don't bother me at all. Just stay away from the edges. For Sonic things can be trickier because typically you're trying to go as fast as possible, but it's doable.

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

For what it's worth, I do prefer Boost over Lost World's gameplay and I think it's the best way to go for SEGA, since it is the most well received 3D gameplay of the series. It's just not really what I want from the gameplay.

Admittedly yes, boost gameplay isn't the first choice I'd pick, but for reasons you mentioned its really seems like the best course of action for Sonic Team as of right now.

I thought Lost World had a good idea in slowing Sonic down to focus more on level design than speed, but that didn't turn out how it should have. I just hope that Sega returning to the drawing board is an indication that what happened with Lost World was just a fluke on their part, and not that they've lost their touch (after they already lost their touch).

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

Also it goes without saying but literally nobody wants Pontaff back.

Speak for yourself, I appreciate their take on the series.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm fine with more Unleashed-Gens gameplay even if not's exactly what was on my wish list. I'm just worried the whole city game's on fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

Not a huge fan of the logo, speaking as a person who works as graphic designer.

The inclination is a bit off, the font used in "Forces" is generic and doesn't even have any sort of gimmick to compensate its lack of originality. The logo is also too much asymmetrical, which isn't bad, but in this case it simply doesn't look good.

:V

It looks like something Jun Senoue would have on his guitar.

Sonic Free Riders, Colors, Generations, Lost World, Rise of Lyric, Shattered Crystal, Fire & Ice. Only Colors and Lost World kinda have good writing in them. Sorry but whatever "take" they have could be done better by a lot of other people. Personally I would say, if you wanna take the lightheared comedic theme then hire some of the people working on the Boom cartoon, 'cause those guys are actually funny.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I guess I want what he did back in the Adventure to Heroes days but tweaked and perfected for something that works as a game coming out in 2017. 

But I have a nagging fear that there's going to also be an influx of explanations surrounding why that can't work either.

Well the real answer to that is pretty obvious. It's the same reason why Mania is being handled by someone else.

They don't know HOW to make those kind of games anymore. It's simply that. You could say it's cause of potential backlash, but that sure didn't stop a second Boom game being made.

Anywho, I'm absolutely excited for this. Bummed about there being no extra characters, but if I can have my fun boosting gameplay that actually works back instead of, well, that other stuff, then I'm satisfied.

As long as the game runs well with fast, rollercoaster like levels with quick action sequences and lots of stuff to smash, speed and fly through, as well as being just fun to play...Yeah, then I'm a happy gamer. <3

I'm not expecting anything like SA1 or SA2 until someone eventually snatches up the guy who made Sonic Utopia. If the 3rd gameplay style does end up being that way, though, then that's just icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I guess I want what he did back in the Adventure-Heroes days but tweaked and perfected for something that works as a game coming out in 2017. 

I'd be happy to see that kind of game after something like Forces. It could definitely work for the series, especially in light of how Nintendo is bringing back the 64 / Sunshine based style back with Odyssey.

A lot of people say that Generations should have been the last of the Boost, but it felt like Sonic Team finally nailed something with the formula for once. Using what they learned for at least one more game that doesn't re-use levels from the past is a better send off of it to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna be the first to point this out and complain...

I HATE EGG PAWNS!!!!!

Give me something intimidating again. I'm sick of blowing up joke robots.

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

Sonic Free Riders, Colors, Generations, Lost World, Rise of Lyric, Shattered Crystal, Fire & Ice. Only Colors and Lost World kinda have good writing in them. Sorry but whatever "take" they have could be done better by a lot of other people. Personally I would say, if you wanna take the lightheared comedic theme then hire some of the people working on the Boom cartoon, 'cause those guys are actually funny.

I'll say it again: I absolutely loved Free Rider's take on Shadow and Rouge. I mean, at this point it's been nearly 7 years since I've watched them, but they were funny from what I remember!

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Gonna be the first to point this out and complain...

I HATE EGG PAWNS!!!!!

Give me something intimidating again. I'm sick of blowing up joke robots.

Egg pawns? I saw the robots from Unleashed! Didn't notice the Egg Pawns, where were they exactly?

But you also have to remember, Sonic Team didn't make the Sonic Boom games. Big Red Button did, and then Sanzaru games. It's within the realm of possibility that Sonic Team for real forgot how to do other types of gameplay lmao.

3 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Egg pawns? I saw the robots from Unleashed! Didn't notice the Egg Pawns, where were they exactly?

I consider them the same pretty much. I forget what they were called in Unleashed but I never liked Egg Pawns or the Unleashed redesigns at all. It's too much of a joke. I don't want to blow up machines that look like clowns, I want to blow up something that looks like the G.U.N. forces and robots in 06.

The enemies I saw in the Forces game play scream playing it safe and not trying to get "too dark" again and for hell's sake, the enemies/robots are the one thing I want to be dark as possible, I loved that about the Adventure and 06 titles.

(Even though the rest of 06 sucked)

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

I'll say it again: I absolutely loved Free Rider's take on Shadow and Rouge. I mean, at this point it's been nearly 7 years since I've watched them, but they were funny from what I remember!

And everyone else was unbeliavably annoying, unnecesary to be there or regressed in their supposed character.

Guess I'll give my thoughts here.

"Sonic Forces" is kind of weird to say but it flows off the tongue better than Resistance.

Nothing wrong with the Boost gameplay for me but there's nothing exciting about it yet. It pretty much looks the exact same. Not even any big, clear improvements.

I'd like to hear a way 3 gameplay styles could possibly end well for this game. I'm mostly baffled at that. Why put ANOTHER one in on top of the two already in the game?

Concept art was cool. I want an HD version of that.

Main theme sounded kind of weak. I hope there are more composers besides Ohtani

Overall I'm mixed. Not really feeling it much. Not bad tho

• Thumbs Up 3