Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

When they mentioned platforming (as if its mere presence means quality), I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous that we'll end up with the same blocky 2D sections from Colours and Generations. I really hope they've concentrated some effort into improving the overall experience. The existence of a third gameplay style may suggest any innovation is focussed elsewhere, though.

EDIT:

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Gonna be the first to point this out and complain...

I HATE EGG PAWNS!!!!!

Give me something intimidating again. I'm sick of blowing up joke robots.

Devastating

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Pawn said:

When they mentioned platforming (as if its mere presence meant quality), I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous that we'll end up with the same blocky 2D sections from Colours and Generations. I really hope they've concentrated some effort into improving the overall experience. The existence of a third gameplay style may suggest ant innovation is focussed elsewhere, though.

Devastating

It's not devastating, it's cheap. They're re-using the same assets again and AGAIN with these things, I'm sick of them. They just tweak how they look and repaint them different colors.

Too add to my previous comment, this logo is also much more sober than any other game before it:

SonicGenerationsLogo.pnglogo_jap.jpgSonic_Lost_World_logo-300x183.png

Notice that there isn't any stroke, inner glow, dropshadow. It lacks these visual effects. The grunge and spray texture are used accordingly, as this game is kind of a "rebellion", right?

Jak 2 comes to mind, ya know?

Anyways, if the logo is anything to go by, this game will be more serious, no doubt.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Speak for yourself, I appreciate their take on the series.

I appreciate... aspects of it.

I can't handle the cutscenes in Colors and the ones in Generations are stunningly boring when it's just the two sets of Sonic and Tails together but I do find myself going back to Lost World's individual cutscenes a lot. Their take on Eggman is legitimately fantastic and the absolute best thing about their writing. And a few of the ideas they presented were interesting at the beginning of the story before the narrative dismantled itself.

Of course, even then, I was finding myself skipping a few parts of the cutscenes I knew I was going to hate. Like almost every time Sonic tried to force out a joke. I don't mind Sonic being funny. I want that. I just wish he was better at it. 

Plus, despite how one-dimensional the Deadly Six were I'd be lying if I said they didn't mostly entertain me. And thank fuck for that one scene with Zavok taunting Sonic about turning Tails into a robot. I say that a lot but I love the hell out of that scene, And the one where Sonic fucks up and kicks the conch away. Love that one too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

It's not devastating, it's cheap. They're re-using the same assets again and AGAIN with these things, I'm sick of them. They just tweak how they look and repaint them different colors.

Look at his user name, avatar and signature.

• Thumbs Up 6

Another day, another Modern Sonic game. I'll probably find some genuine enjoyment blasting through the game, but I'm not confident it'll satiate me long-term. Colors and Generations both had that problem for me. Here's hoping that there's a little bit more interesting content and some polish in the gameplay department. Dunno if I want to see Classic Sonic in this if it doesn't play much like, well... Classic Sonic.

We shall wait and see. Hrm.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Speak for yourself, I appreciate their take on the series.

Well nothing has been confirmed, so they could still be back. For better or for worse. Keep hope alive, dude!

But hey, look on the bright side! If they don't come back, then I guess you can keep appreciating their rather questionable take on the series by replaying Colors and Lost World!

33 minutes ago, Jango said:

Main theme is fucking lit, I'll tell ya. This is Ohtani and Senoue, no doubt, it's the same kind of sound directing from their most recent work in Runners.

But the real question is: who's gonna sing????

It's just Ohtani behind the theme song, they specified.  It was just Ohtani on Runners too, Jun hasn't composed for the series since Generations/Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It was a joke (see username/avatar). I wasn't a big fan of them in Heroes, but the way they were outfitted and animated in Colours and Generations fully sold them on me, hence the username.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Look at his user name, avatar and signature.

What's your stance on my opinion?

And Jango, it's probably a subtle way to emphasize "Sonic has lost" in this game.

Besides, seven games. Seven freakin' games is a lot of content from that one set of particular writers. Give someone new a chance no?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Yeah and what's with this blue hedgehog that keeps showing up, when are they going to realize that's been done to death?

• Thumbs Up 5

BREAKING NEWS

Jun Senoue isn't going to be working on the music, according to the TSSZ stream.

EDIT: No word on Johnny yet. Crush 40 might not be there guys. :(

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

What's your stance on my opinion?

And Jango, it's probably a subtle way to emphasize "Sonic has lost" in this game.

I don't really care for Egg Pawns, but I think the costumes they've gotten since Colors have improved them.

If Pawns show up I hope they have different costumes for each level. I was disappointed when Lost World only used their standard design. Not that I dislike their standard design, but it was nice having some extra flavour.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah and what's with this blue hedgehog that keeps showing up, when are they going to realize that's been done to death?

It's expected to have the same main character reappearing.

Having the same exact enemies with different colors and tweaks gets old/annoying. I'd figure most would like variety in what they're killing.

That talk about Egg Pawns and threatening enemies actually made me realize how happy I am that Lost World's aesthetic is gone.

Like, I'm already not intimidated by a motobug. I didn't need it to look even more unthreatening going from Generations to Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

I consider them the same pretty much. I forget what they were called in Unleashed but I never liked Egg Pawns or the Unleashed redesigns at all. It's too much of a joke. I don't want to blow up machines that look like clowns, I want to blow up something that looks like the G.U.N. forces and robots in 06.

The enemies I saw in the Forces game play scream playing it safe and not trying to get "too dark" again and for hell's sake, the enemies/robots are the one thing I want to be dark as possible, I loved that about the Adventure and 06 titles.

(Even though the rest of 06 sucked)

If anything was good from Sonic 06 it definitely wasn't those very Un-Sonic universe looking bots... The GUN bots don't belong to Eggman anyways.

Dr.Eggman IS a goofy villein guy who tends to make goofy and even cute robots. It's part of Eggman & this series's charm. And most of us like the silly cartoony charm of this series.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Cheawn said:

Super Mario 3D Land's and World's levels are just obstacle courses over a pit.

Generally, the pit's just the defined end of the playable area, so they don't bother me at all. Just stay away from the edges. For Sonic things can be trickier because typically you're trying to go as fast as possible, but it's doable.

What about levels for 3D Mario games before/after those titles? 64? Sunshine? Galaxy? The upcoming Odyssey? And I didn't say all of the levels in those games are like those games. I just said Mario games are able to make levels that don't fall in the "linear hallway/bottomless pit" category.

Moreover, while 3D Land/3D World's Mario levels are obstacle courses surrounded by bottomless pits, the actual structure of the levels aren't similar to those in 3D Sonic games in the majority of cases. The levels typically have much more variation in their design.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Having the same exact enemies with different colors and tweaks gets old/annoying. I'd figure most would like variety in what they're killing.

It's not like they're the only enemies that show up though. The games with Egg Pawns have plenty of other enemies, too.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I feel like most could take or leave them, because no matter how "threatening!!!" they look a child could blow through them in 2 seconds. If they're gonna be the equivelant to bowling pins for Sonic again, let them look like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I mean, if Egg Pawns and it's variants are the ONLY enemies in the game (which was basically the case in Heroes), sure, but the recent games have been decent at enemy variety. Hell, when it comes to enemy variety Lost World is arguably the best among the 3D games.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Dr.Eggman IS a goofy villein guy who tents to make goody and even cute robots. It's part of Eggman & this series's charm. And most of us like the silly cartoony charm of this series.

You take Eggman's charm to make weird looking robots and season in some goofiness with a touch of epic-awesomeness and you got yourself a nice Egg Dragoon. 

That thing looks silly... but it also looks awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1