Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Could be a generic destroyed cityscape that's been used for the trailer? Or it could be something else - could be an actual level.

Also, this doesn't even look that grimdark. Its not even close to the melodrama of 06 or Shadow. Environments being destroyed and set on fire by Eggman has been happening since Angel Island in Sonic 3&K. This time it just happens to be a city.

• Thumbs Up 8

I know I was complaining last night but I'm warming up to this.

New areas with Generations gameplay at least will make for some solid gameplay. Now just gotta cross my fingers that it's meaty content wise.

• Thumbs Up 9

Looking at the trailer, I'm actually just as excited to see how the new game will look.

Sonic Team is usually brilliant at visuals and with the PS4/Xbox One they've got access to a lot more horsepower. Ratchet & Clank already set the benchmark and comparing the trailer to that, I could definitely see the game getting within range of that CG teaser in terms of detail.

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly not fan of the darker tone this trailer/ teaser shows. Hopefully its gonna be easy to make mods for it.

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

I literally don't see how this is "grim dark"  or "edgy"  then most action adventure type stories. The worry of it bring another 06 or Shadow and therefore they shouldn't try comes across as defeatist to me. 

After 3 games worth of happy go lucky comedic romps font you think it wouldn't hurt to at least TRY to do something with a more serious tone? 

Yeah I've already seen people in other places like GAF complain about the game being too edgy, which is weird. I guess not liking the vibe is one thing but it's a far cry from the worst I've seen from this franchise in terms of tone. This clearly isn't a Shadow or an 06 or a Black Knight or whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the serious tone the trailer showed. It's nowhere near Shadow or 06 in terms of being "edgy". 

11 minutes ago, Soniman said:

After 3 games worth of happy go lucky comedic romps dont you think it wouldn't hurt to at least TRY to do something with a more serious tone? 

It's hurting me already, so.

3 minutes ago, kdotj24 said:

I like the serious tone the trailer showed. It's nowhere near Shadow or 06 in terms of being "edgy". 

It's not ShtH's particular brand of edgy, no, but I don't see how this burning ruined city is any less out of place than '06's burning ruined city.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's hurting me already, so.

Gotta say it's very nostalgic seeing this Dio again, really looking forward to seeing this for the next year and a half :P

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's not ShtH's particular brand of edgy, no, but I don't see how this burning ruined city is any less out of place than '06's burning ruined city.

We've had Angel Island ablaze,  and we've had Prison Island blow up completely.

Nothing really unheard of in this franchise  and certainly nothing to get all bothered about. 

Not to mention the creatively grim bad futures here and there in Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's not anymore darker toned than Eggman's robots setting Angel Island into flames in Sonic 3 or the dark futures in Sonic CD. The only thing that changed is that it's now a non descriptive city set in flames this time and being shown with high production values.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

mqdefault.jpg

c711248de2565e3d94a447bee20f8dd2.png

to be honest, I can see where you are coming from, however the 2017 version doesn't look out of place to me. It looks like a burning citiy you might find in a Pixar movie as compared to Sonic 06 as everything is hyper realistic.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

angelisland21.png

C'mon, man. :U

the difference is that this one is a cartoony fire-y citiy while the other is more realistic 

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, at least Shadow the Hedgehog remembered to be comedic and cartoony sufficiently in places as well unlike 06 anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

angelisland21.png

C'mon, man. :U

I don't have a grudge against things burning, man. But there is a huge difference in tone between a jungle fire and an inhabited city being trampled and burned.

Or are we all going to pretend '06 was good, now?

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah but like

It can't be THAT dark if, y'know, the Sonics start smiling at the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh and let's not forget Sonic Unleashed and the planet breaking apart; was that too grimdark for you? Also Sonic CD's story as well.

Just now, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Yeah but like

It can't be THAT dark if, y'know, the Sonics start smiling at the end.

Sonic smiled in 06 and Shadow. Ayyyyy

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I But there is a huge difference in tone between a jungle fire and an inhabited city being trampled and burned.

Well both are inhabited, we just don't really see the residents,  and both are burning and being destroyed to spark a sense of urgence, so would you care to elaborate this assertion, cause I've got nothing backing it in sight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I don't have a grudge against things burning, man. But there is a huge difference in tone between a jungle fire and an inhabited city being trampled and burned.

Or are we all going to pretend '06 was good, now?

The jungle is filled with tiny cute little animals. That's almost worse man. Like, damn. Crisis City isn't an inherently bad idea for a stage is all I'm saying. What brought it down was the context surrounding it.

It's the same premise as a lot of the other sonics at it's core. Eggman's fucking shit up. Sonic's pissed and is gonna go stop it. I appreciate the relative simplicity. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Mikyeong said:

Oh and let's not forget Sonic Unleashed and the planet breaking apart; was that too grimdark for you? Also Sonic CD's story as well.

Sonic smiled in 06 and Shadow. Ayyyyy

Oh phooey, you know what I mean. XP Just saying if they'd been serious throughout the trailer instead of having a more hopeful, "let's do this!" kinda vibe, then I'd understand, but as it stands now it doesn't seem that edgy.