Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Reading that the Wisps are back makes me cringe. Like, I expected nothing and still got let down.

Part of me is hoping that they are only used for boosting. They never specified that the other wisps would be back, so I hope that the case.

• Thumbs Up 3

A lot of the obstacle and transition assets seem to be taken from Gens more than unleashed so that's probably one reason why people are usually getting more Gens vibes from the gameplay.

Also, if those are Nega's colors and he ends up being in the game....Blaze perhaps playable? (I super wish, but heavily doubt it)

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Pawn said:

6zpqNso.png

I took a shot of the enemies because I barely even noticed them in the stream. Buzz Bomber's there I guess, but it looks like we have a new version of Egg Pawns...

... Not quite as handsome, I must say.

Those are Yellow & Black right?... Makes me wonder if Modern & Classic Dr.Eggman join up with Eggman Nega like some others are also thinking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, KHCast said:

A lot of the obstacle and transition assets seem to be taken from Gens more than unleashed so that's probably one reason why people are usually getting more Gens vibes from the gameplay.

Also, if those are Nega's colors and he ends up being in the game....Blaze perhaps playable? (I super wish, but heavily doubt it)

It looks like the map was modified from Spagonia Unleashed/Generations, some of the terrain looks almost the same. I recognised one of the bends.

17 minutes ago, Pawn said:

6zpqNso.png

I took a shot of the enemies because I barely even noticed them in the stream. Buzz Bomber's there I guess, but it looks like we have a new version of Egg Pawns...

I'mma call the Pixar/Disney po-po

We got some questionable sh@t goin' on here...

Wall_e_eve.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

Guys don't forget we were asking for a return to this; don't go telling Sega and Sonic Team this isn't what we wanted when there are certainly plenty of people, myself included, that are happy to return to some consistency with Sonic. 

I am not sure who you are speaking for cause this sure as hell is not what i wanted them to return to. What I wanted was something along the lines of an adventure/ unleashed game without the constant cop out of simply boosting through a stage. stopping to hit something and then boosting again to the end. But ill wait for more gameplay before slamming the nope button and pouring my money more into mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm already happy with Sonic Mania, it's basically exactly what I've asked for. Sonic Forces could be a 2/10 game and it wouldn't worry me, although I'd feel kind of bad for the fans of 3D Sonic lol. I would have liked to have seen them make a game with only Modern Sonic, but he plays like a polished version of Adventure 1 Sonic. To me the Spin Dash will always be more fun than the boost, but Sonic Forces looks pretty fun. I enjoyed Unleashed and Generations when they came out and I'd probably like this, but would eventually get bored of it.

I think it's wayyyyy too early to judge the game from that footage but the lighting/graphics stuff looks really nice from what I can tell. I imagine the trailer is probably more like "hey check out our new graphics engine" than "hey check out our new gameplay design." I think as time goes on they'll show more interesting levels that aren't straight line dashes.

I'm mostly interested in whatever the "third style" of gameplay is meant to be. Another werehog style thing or something different?

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh man.

Oh MAN.

GOODNESS ME

I am going to love this game. Whew lads. Boost is my favorite Sonic gameplay style nowadays (I don't care for SA2's, my prior favorite, as much anymore). Unleashed was one of my favorites and I love Generations too. If I'm getting more of that then HECK YEAH BOYS

Classic Sonic is alright too, but I'm also very interested in what the 3rd gameplay style is... Can't wait! I hope they have it playable at E3.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Pawn said:

6zpqNso.png

Wait. Are those new Egg Pawns... yellow? Couple that with the black & yellow/silver Death Egg Robots, and... oh, who am I kidding. They won't bring him into this. Also, the Buzzbomber seems to have undergone yet another redesign (looks like they have glowing purple eyes now).

My thoughts on this so far is... uncertain, I guess. The Modern gameplay looks pretty much exactly as I remember from Generations, which doesn't bother me too much. Though I'm still gonna wait to see more of what this gameplay has to offer, along with Classic's and [INSERT THIRD GAMEPLAY/CHARACTER HERE]'s gameplay before fully judging it. My biggest disappointment from this was hearing about the return of the Wisps. Not only does their presence give me concerns about Sonic's friends being left as cutscene-fodder once again, but I'm just kinda bored with them already.

At this point, I think I'd just like to know more about the plot. What's with the emphasis on 'Forces'? Why is Classic Sonic here? And how much of this is not actually gonna be explained in the game at all?

1 minute ago, SonicDude said:

I'm already happy with Sonic Mania, it's basically exactly what I've asked for. Sonic Forces could be a 2/10 game and it wouldn't worry me, although I'd feel kind of bad for the fans of 3D Sonic lol. I would have liked to have seen them make a game with only Modern Sonic, but he plays like a polished version of Adventure 1 Sonic. To me the Spin Dash will always be more fun than the boost, but Sonic Forces looks pretty fun. I enjoyed Unleashed and Generations when they came out and I'd probably like this, but would eventually get bored of it.

As of right now I see Sonic Forces hitting 1m in sales but not too far past that with half the blame being on Mania, which will also likely make up for Sonic Forces shortcomings.

It won't sell as bad as Lost World but it won't get too far ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just noticed there's no HUD. Now, I'm guessing that's just for this demonstration, but it'd be neat if there was an option to hide all that stuff.

Also hoping that the HUD functions like LW where bits of it only pop up when it's relevant, i.e. Ring count only appears when collecting them (or when you have 0),

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Remy said:

I think it's wayyyyy too early to judge the game from that footage but the lighting/graphics stuff looks really nice from what I can tell. I imagine the trailer is probably more like "hey check out our new graphics engine" than "hey check out our new gameplay design." I think as time goes on they'll show more interesting levels that aren't straight line dashes.

It'll probably be like Generations. First stage being very linear and later stages having a bit more room like Seaside Hill, although still very corridor based. The 3rd gameplay style will probably be much more open though, otherwise it would be kind of pointless. Although they wouldn't want a jarring clash again like Sonic Unleashed's werehog vs the day stages. Who knows, could be Boom Sonic, Adventure 1 Sonic or something completely new with a brand new character even.

Imagine a Sonic game where every stage is made up of nothing but a starting podium, trails of rings over a bottomless pit spanning the stage, and a finish podium. To win, you have to light dash across the rings, randomly homing attack enemies, and if you don't time things perfectly by missing an enemy or a trail of rings, you lose. That is boost game play.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the gameplay lived up for my expectations for the most part, although I wonder if you can use the boost only of you have the wisp power up? Also it is giving me a more of a Sonic Unleashed vibe than anything, the graphics looks really intense and the gameplay looks smooth, Generations for the most part was stiff when it came to moving Sonic, but that's just me. 

Also I'm very glad the their engine would be updated, even though I heard around the time Unleashed came out that the 360 and PS3 barely handled Unleashed graphics, just hopefully it isn't as slippery, as that game though. 

Just now, Remy said:

Except, it isn't. 

I fail to see how. The automation/playing for you concept is one in the same and both literally require timing/precision in between auto-playing moments.

The light dash and boost are one in the same, the only difference is moving side to side.

Light dash, attack enemies, light dash.

Boost, attack enemies, boost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Remy said:

Except, it isn't. 

In a way he's kind of right, in essence. The difference between light dashing and boosting down a corridor is that with boosting you have to hold a button down and maybe move the analog stick just a little, but usually not at all. Some quick stepping/drifting and that's about it. But to be fair most 3D Sonic games are hold forward to win, do some homing attacks and simple platforming. Not saying I don't enjoy them but that's what they are.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Imagine a Sonic game where every stage is made up of nothing but a starting podium, trails of rings over a bottomless pit spanning the stage, and a finish podium. To win, you have to light dash across the rings, randomly homing attack enemies, and if you don't time things perfectly by missing an enemy or a trail of rings, you lose. That is boost game play.

That is true to a certain extent, although every time they put that segment I would have mini panic attack because they would never let you recover if you messed up. 

1 minute ago, Joellui said:

That is true to a certain extent, although every time they put that segment I would have mini panic attack because they would never let you recover if you messed up. 

Same thing in boost games, like when running over spans of water and dying if you run out of boost.

Be perfect, or die. I repeat...

Light dash, attack, light dash, precisely the same.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well, I have fun holding left or right and occasionally jumping in Classic games and holding forward while occasionally jumping in the Adventure games, so these Boosting games sound right up my alley! =D

Yes Chris, any video game can be made to sound uninteresting when you simplify it to the best your ability. We know. But hey, if people play it, have fun and want more, then whether others like it or not, it's still a winner.

It's like Mario and Pokemon. If the formula works, is praised and makes money, then aside from the rare mix-up (Though Sun & Moon wasn't really that different), why drastically change it? Some may criticize you for it that's a shame.

But hey, as long as it works.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Well, I have fun holding left or right and occasionally jumping in Classic games and holding forward while occasionally jumping in the Adventure games, so these Boosting games sound right up my alley! =D

Yes Chris, any video game can be made to sound uninteresting when you simplify it to the best your ability. We know. But hey, if people play it, have fun and want more, then whether others like it or not, it's still a winner.

It's like Mario and Pokemon. If the formula works, is praised and makes money, then aside from the rare mix-up (Though Sun & Moon wasn't really that different), why drastically change it? Some may criticize you for it that's a shame.

But hey, as long as it works.

You are describing Sonic Rush and some of the Advance games more than the Classic games. That would be true for Classic as well if it weren't for the physics mechanic which keeps things more fresh.

I like the look of Sonic's character model in Forces, looks like a mix of Generations and Lost World.