Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

To be honest I always found the Wii/PS2 Unleashed boost really unsatisfying and janky to use.  I'd rather have full control but nerf how accessible it is/how useful it is.

• Thumbs Up 8

How much does a producer do for a videogame anyway? I know sometimes they do a lot and others you can't even tell. Like the producer for Sonic Mania. It seems to me more like Whitehead's and Co. project and Aaron himself maybe aproaching Taxman with the offer. I don't know exactly what this Lola Shiraishi person is doing for it. 

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Nah you can jump off and live. I do it all the time....usually

The only good part of that stage

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Forces?

The Force?

Star Wars?

Holy Shit! Now I know what's going on.

Eggman just Eggs-ecuted Order 66!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

How much does a producer do for a videogame anyway? I know sometimes they do a lot and others you can't even tell. Like the producer for Sonic Mania. It seems to me more like Whitehead's and Co. project and Aaron himself maybe aproaching Taxman with the offer. I don't know exactly what this Lola Shiraishi person is doing for it. 

They are, in very basic terms, an overseer of the project - making sure all the individual components are working together smoothly and doing all the nitty-gritty admin stuff.  But some producers are totally hands-off and some are more involved, which is why this announcement has little weight (on top of the fact that, as said, 2006 didn't fail just because of a bad direction).

23 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I dunno, bring back the dash mechanic from Sonic Advance 2? I don't what it was called but basically if you kept playing well by saving your momentum you went fast as hell regardless of character. That seems to me like a more fun mechanic that the Boost. Though i'm not sure how it would work in 3D.

I'm gonna be that one guy and say that I absolutely despised the dash mechanic in Advance 2. It was an interesting concept, but it's execution was frustrating to deal with. Unlike the Boost, you had no control of the Momentum Dash. It happened on its own and always threw off your original pace. I don't mind all that much that it couldn't kill enemies (Secret Rings did the same thing with the Speed Break), but it often left you unfairly exposed. It would be one thing if you could control it and fully utilize it when you needed it, but that wasn't entirely the case in Advance 2. 

Dealing with that same automatic dashing nonsense in a 3D space, especially in an open 3D space? Not for me, thanks. I'd rather have complete control over the Boost, but have it be less refillable / more sparse to balance it out.

19 minutes ago, Soni said:

Just to break the several debates on whether the Boost gameplay is good or not.

Just want to let you know that Shun Nakamura, the director for 06, is the producer for Forces.

Well, the ruined future makes sense now...as do the deadly robots. Could that also mean time travel, with Classic Sonic and all?

3 minutes ago, Remy said:

The only good part of that stage

"in MY opinion" - You forgot that part. Lets not try and spin a factual sense into your argument. I've been given that same reminder many a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RictalRose0 said:

How good are the odds for Nega to be involved? Maybe Silver too?

It's impossible to tell really. We only know very little about the game, so at this point it's better to wait and see.

Just now, RictalRose0 said:

...Mmmmm...

I think...

This game MAY be in the future... A sequel of sorts to 06 where the world is trying to recover from everything, and Nega is now trying to conquer it now that Iblis is gone...

Just a thought. Nega is a descendant of Eggman after all.

1 hour ago, RictalRose0 said:

For the sake of the narrative I kind of hope they're not involved. It often feels like Silver appearing in anything these days requires that something not make sense about him.

Are you the real Sonic or a fake sent for the chaos emeralds indeed.

There will not be any major lore connections in the premise of this story. It's a Sonic game, guys.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Mmmmm...

I think...

This game MAY be in the future... A sequel of sorts to 06 where the world is trying to recover from everything, and Nega is now trying to conquer it now that Iblis is gone...

Just a thought. Nega is a descendant of Eggman after all.

Maybe it isn't even Eggman Nega. What if Orbot and Cubot got sick of Eggman bossing them around so they combined into some evil megazoid type robot and have their own Badnik army? Lol.

Honestly Silver always over-complicates the story with his strange and unresolved continuity and character but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Nega shows up somehow. All Sonic team-up, all Eggman team-up?

14 hours ago, Josh said:

I feel like, if so many people hadn't spent so long writing off the Boost gameplay in concept, we could talk about what improvements could actually be made to the gameplay style. I think there's a lot of room for skill based fun in a style where you basically use style points to build a meter that helps Sonic go faster. It could have a nice sense of skill to it, but I feel like the discussion never goes that far because too many people go lol not classic/Sonic Adventure(because homing attack chains, hallways, rails where you don't do anything etc didn't exist in those games right????) and dismiss it right off the bat.

The first Adventure? They did exist (HA chains and hallways anyway, rails didn't exist yet), but their use in that game was minimal compared to later titles. I'm only contesting Adventure 1 though; Adventure 2 threw the baby out of the bathwater and it never improved from there with the 3D games from that point onwards.

Anywho, I'd argue "lol not classic/Adventure" is exactly the point of why some people aren't interested in a discussion about improving the boost--they don't want it improved, they want something else completely. The boost playstyle is at its heart crafted around boost and boost management, and if that's not what certain people want out of 3D Sonic, altering it further to their tastes as a sort of compromise isn't going to change that. If anything, I think Generations' attempts to adding more platforming segments actually hurts the appeal of the playstyle due to how it breaks up the flow of constant fast speed. Meanwhile, Colors feels more like a spinoff of boost gameplay than it actually does feel like a true installment due to its higher focus on 2D precision platforming and Wisps usage. Dare I say you can even see this as far back as Rush--the points where the game locked you into a room to defeat a number of enemies to continue, or hop around platforms over bottomless pits were among the least-fun elements of that game.

I don't really care for the boost gameplay nowadays, but I do realize it has its fans and I actually did have some enjoyment of it in the past, so I'm not really going to sit here and take it to task or debate with those who champion it. But at the same time I really wish the boost playstyle wasn't the (new) standard for 3D Sonic gameplay and wish it was more of a side series. I'd still like to see a 3D Sonic game that isn't so linear/speed-oriented and was closer to the momentum-based gameplay of the classics.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, SpinningSilver said:

I'm gonna be that one guy and say that I absolutely despised the dash mechanic in Advance 2. It was an interesting concept, but it's execution was frustrating to deal with. Unlike the Boost, you had no control of the Momentum Dash. It happened on its own and always threw off your original pace. I don't mind all that much that it couldn't kill enemies (Secret Rings did the same thing with the Speed Break), but it often left you unfairly exposed. It would be one thing if you could control it and fully utilize it when you needed it, but that wasn't entirely the case in Advance 2.

I'd be open to a new take on it where you can choose whether or not you enter that boost mode. Like, once you maintain speed for a bit you can activate it by pressing / holding a button, instead of it being automatic.

Either way I think the one thing I'd want to change about the boost is removing it's ability to damage enemies, tho' at this point such a change would be a bad idea simply because of how used to it people are now. Muscle memory and all that.

Just now, Josh said:

There will not be any major lore connections in the premise of this story. It's a Sonic game, guys.

Characters appearing has nothing to do with their lore importance...they just exist now.

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

Honestly Silver always over-complicates the story with his strange and unresolved continuity and character but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Nega shows up somehow. All Sonic team-up, all Eggman team-up?

Well they did say Sonic's "Forces" vs. Eggman's "Forces". It could be a definite possibility.

Guys, what if this is like a Sonic Colors 2 and you get to play as Yacker??

also red rings are back wooohoo!

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Anywho, I'd argue "lol not classic/Adventure" is exactly the point of why some people aren't interested in a discussion about improving the boost--they don't want it improved, they want something else complete. 

So what do they have to add to a discussion about the boost gameplay then? Cause that's what we're getting. If the only thing people are gonna say every time they see the game is "I wanted something else" shit's gonna get stale like every other Sonic topic. At some point, I think people are gonna have to decide whether or not they're going to stick around with Sonic even if it's always not gonna be exactly what they want, and why they're doing so.

I didn't really need the lecutre after either. I know being thorough is encouraged, but getting to the point is fine too. Some of yall need to learn how to streamline your posts. We don't need to repeat the same talking points so often.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Miki said:

I'd accept that if his special move were snapping people's necks. 

Because imagining a wisp doing that amuses me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Miki said:

also red rings are back wooohoo!

I'd imagine that no one wants to play as a squid with only half the tentacles...

Late but I got pretty much what I expected.

Expected Boost Gameplay round 4 and that's wha-

The Wisps are back again HU-FREAKING-ZZAH!!!

Why? They were only fun in one game (Well most were, IMHO)

18 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

"in MY opinion" - You forgot that part. Lets not try and spin a factual sense into your argument. I've been given that same reminder many a time.

And in mine, the fact you could cheat and shorten that level was a godsend.

Spoiler

In my opinion.

Sega: So you want to play as different characters?

Me: Yes

Sega: Okay here's Yacker enjoy it

I honestly wouldn't be surprised

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

So what do they have to add to a discussion about the boost gameplay then? Cause that's what we're getting. If the only thing people are gonna say every time they see the game is "I wanted something else" shit's gonna get stale like every other Sonic topic. At some point, I think people are gonna have to decide whether or not they're going to stick around with Sonic even if it's always not gonna be exactly what they want, and why they're doing so.

Well I'm just giving my thoughts as to why, I'm not justifying it. I already said my piece on the gameplay for the most part when the gameplay was first revealed--not what I wanted, but whatever. There's other things to talk about than just gameplay.

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

I didn't really need the lecutre after either. I know being thorough is encouraged, but getting to the point is fine too. Some of yall need to learn how to streamline your posts. We don't need to repeat the same talking points so often.

Didn't mean to come off as patronizing so you have my apologies on that front. Though I do think the point I made about how the boost gameplay has its own appeal that shouldn't be tampered with through compromise is one worth considering.

• Thumbs Up 1