Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Feel like this should be asked...

BOOM Sonic being in Sonic Forces, would that attract consumers or push them away from the title?

People are speculating the third character being the BOOM incarnation but, despite the cartoon's success, would it be an attractive addition or a repulsive one for people?

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Well I'm just giving my thoughts as to why, I'm not justifying it. I already said my piece on the gameplay for the most part when the gameplay was first revealed--not what I wanted, but whatever. There's other things to talk about than just gameplay.

Didn't mean to come off as patronizing so you have my apologies on that front. Though I do think the point I made about how the boost gameplay has its own appeal of it that shouldn't be tampered with through compromise is on topic with the rest of my reply.

You're right, and I kind of jumped the gun on your reply because I thought we were going down a road I've been down many, many times. That's not your fault though, and I apologize. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Feel like this should be asked...

BOOM Sonic being in Sonic Forces, would that attract consumers or push them away from the title?

People are speculating the third character being the BOOM incarnation but, despite the cartoon's success, would it be an attractive addition or a repulsive one for people?

Everyone who was going to buy it at all would anyway, anyone who wasn't would say they were going to but stopped because muh blue arms.

If he's written the same way Pontaff wrote him in the Boom games? No, please no. If he's like in the cartoon but like, serious mode. Then yeah I would be okay with me. But honestly three Sonics? I'll rather have something else.

Though the title IS "Sonic Forces" so i'm expecting another Sonic. Which i'm not that bothered about. I just don't know how exactly Boom Sonic would work.

18 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I'd be open to a new take on it where you can choose whether or not you enter that boost mode. Like, once you maintain speed for a bit you can activate it by pressing / holding a button, instead of it being automatic.

Either way I think the one thing I'd want to change about the boost is removing it's ability to damage enemies, tho' at this point such a change would be a bad idea simply because of how used to it people are now. Muscle memory and all that.

Now this I can get behind. Being able to choose when you boost or even store your momentum somehow and discharge it later could be an interesting alternative to traditional Boost gameplay. I prefer traditional Boost gameplay (especially since you can damage enemies with the aura / speed cone,), but I wouldn't mind a change like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally wouldn't mind 3 Sonics. I don't know but I really like seeing Sonic thus wouldn't mind seeing 3 of him, interacting alot but somethings never change don't they? I would like some different gameplay styles between the Sonics. Generations and Unleashed did a good job of that where you felt as if were playing as 2 different characters but not really. Could it be the werehog? Don't know.

I feel that it won't be Boom Sonic since Boom is supposed to be a separate universe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic generations had no story. That was just a mess. I got my hopes for something like adventure scale story. Instead I get a purple cloud which is basically eggman in a souped up mech *I know time ester wasn't a mech* sonic meets younger self but they really don't do anything besides the typical oh your me younger let's save the time stream. Swoosh.

The only way I'd be fine with Boom being a part of this game is if it's just Sticks. If it's her, that'll give me even more of a reason to get the game.

She's the best part about Boom for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Are we gonna get back into the talk of wheter or not Sticks exist in both the Boomverse and the Main Universe?

Well that was the character Sonic Team designed. And they liked her enough to promote her a few times in Sonic channel and other stuff. But yeah that's kinda dumb.

It's not dumb at all. There's no reason at all that it should be considered as such.

Sticks would work just fine in whatever universe you throw her in.

• Thumbs Up 6

You know what? You're right. Sticks is actually a pretty cool character and I kinda wanna see how the friendship she has going with Amy going in the Boomverse would be in the Mainverse. Seeing as how Main Amy herself believes in things such as magic, fate, tarot and stuff like that and is a lot more hyper that Boom!Amy. 

It looks good to me, both visuals and gameplay look solid. I was hoping for less linearity and more freedom exploring the levels. Not excited seeing Wisps return, but isn't breaking the deal for me. I'm still pretty hyped on this game.

I don't know how I feel about the reveal that a third gameplay style will be implemented. On one hand, it's an exciting prospect because there was one bit of speculation that was mentioned that gave me an idea (the robots sharing a color scheme with Nega, which made me think that Blaze would be a perfect inclusion, or, hell, put Team Dark in there), but on the other... I hope Boom isn't anywhere near this. I can tolerate Modern and Classic Sonic--just barely--and owing that to time travel nonsense as they're treated as the same character at different ages. The last thing we need is another Sonic in the mix, especially when there is a wide range of characters they can take advantage of and rotate and put into supporting roles (and not even all of them need to be present in the story). They don't even need to be playable, just have an active role in the story instead of being useless cheerleaders. I'm actually excited for something like that to happen, playing into the theme of "forces" Iizuka mentioned at the panel.

I'm also really not happy with seeing Wisps return. Even if their role is just to be a power up, why do these specific characters have to be trotted out time and again? Their role and function can just as easily be fulfilled by any other kind of power up, and ones that potentially fit better within the plot and setting. Their existence doesn't bother me so much as the complete lack of context, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same crap like in Lost World where they were just there and aren't even mentioned within the story or dialogue.

Hoping that the eventual reveals win me over, but right now I'm not really feeling it. I'll probably stay out of this thread so I'm not getting too pessimistic for you guys.

17 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

It's not dumb at all. There's no reason at all that it should be considered as such.

The only place I want her thrown is in the garbage 

11 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't know how I feel about the reveal that a third gameplay style will be implemented. On one hand, it's an exciting prospect because there was one bit of speculation that was mentioned that gave me an idea (the robots sharing a color scheme with Nega, which made me think that Blaze would be a perfect inclusion, or, hell, put Team Dark in there), but on the other... I hope Boom isn't anywhere near this. I can tolerate Modern and Classic Sonic--just barely--and owing that to time travel nonsense as they're treated as the same character at different ages. The last thing we need is another Sonic in the mix, especially when there is a wide range of characters they can take advantage of and rotate and put into supporting roles (and not even all of them need to be present in the story). They don't even need to be playable, just have an active role in the story instead of being useless cheerleaders. I'm actually excited for something like that to happen, playing into the theme of "forces" Iizuka mentioned at the panel.

I'm also really not happy with seeing Wisps return. Even if their role is just to be a power up, why do these specific characters have to be trotted out time and again? Their role and function can just as easily be fulfilled by any other kind of power up, and ones that potentially fit better within the plot and setting. Their existence doesn't bother me so much as the complete lack of context, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same crap like in Lost World where they were just there and aren't even mentioned within the story or dialogue.

Hoping that the eventual reveals win me over, but right now I'm not really feeling it. I'll probably stay out of this thread so I'm not getting too pessimistic for you guys.

I'm hopeful the third gameplay style isn't merely a "character", but more like open exploration areas (which aren't like towns). And the name Sonic Forces means there's multiple characters per style.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't know if this has been brought up (and I can't claim credit for this idea because I read it over on the SEGA forums) but what if the third "Sonic"/character was a future Sonic? Like from some distant year, with some kind of enhanced abilities (or armor). It would kind of make sense that the Sonic from this era would team up with his younger self and maybe his future self (who warns him of Robotnik's impending conquest) and maybe future Sonic has a different playstyle involving lasers or something?

Usually whenever SEGA/Sonic Team mentions a new gameplay style, it seems to revolve around combat or gun play more than anything. 

Well, I'm finally able to join the discussion and holy fuck did you guys have a hell of a party while I was away.

So...Sonic Forces. Wow. That was a rather unexpected name. Not exactly the most stellar title they could have given it, but given all that this franchise has been through after Generations, I can live. I do like the logo, tho.

Now, the gameplay...let's be honest, did any of us really expect anything otherwise? Not trying to say anyone was foolish for thinking they'd do something different, I would have love to have been wrong, but I kinda saw it coming. I'm not much of a fan of the Boost gameplay either, but I'm not rabid against it and I like to keep an open mind over what more they might be able to do with it, if at all. They could implement parkour that they experimented with in Lost Worlds. That all said, while I'm not a fan of them using the Boost formula, I'm perfectly okay with it sticking around considering that the last few games haven't done so well and this is definitely a safer option even if they don't do too much with it. I'm okay with this being Generations 2, much as I would rather it not be.

I think the best part was the scenery. Colorful city being torn apart by missiles and robots, now that I liked. It really makes me eager to see what the story will be. Maybe they got rid of Pontac and Graff, or maybe Pontac and Graff are sticking around and writing for this game, as long as the damn thing is good and not as mixed as Lost World was I don't see the problem. For the record, I actually enjoyed Colors plot, but wasn't the biggest fan of Lost World--I'm willing to give Pontac and Graff a chance here tho.

The few things I'm apprehensive about is Shun Nakamura, the guy behind Sonic 06, is returning to produce this game...that I did not see coming, but my worry is curbed by the fact that they've apparently had more time to work on Forces than they did Sonic 06, and with a competent formula for Sonic to work with this time. So I can rest easy on that. But aside from that, there's this potential new character that they have yet to reveal, and I've already stated that I'm sick of the idea of them making more characters instead of using what they already have--that's not to say that this new character itself is bad, but that Sonic Team don't seem confident in making use of what's there despite how much they could freshen their older material.

All in all, it's the same old same old so far but attempting to give more adrenaline to an old formula with the scenery. Suffice it to say some weren't asking for this, but going back to the Boost is probably gonna do Sonic more favors than we think, even if a number of us aren't fans of the gameplay.

Oh, and the Wisps are back...I'm honestly not really bothered by that in itself. Don't see the big deal with people being against them around, because even if they weren't it's not like their absence would have opened doors for the other characters to be brought back in.

So, yeah...I liked it so far, for what it's worth. Not too jaw dropping, but not much has been impressing me nowadays.

EDIT-- Actually, my worry came back up with Shun Nakamura. I'm a bit concerned if they do something as dumb as they did with Mephiles again given the whole "new character" and Classic Sonic returning...

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Agreed. Am not saying she needs to be in Sonic Forces. But she'd fit in just fine in the main Sonic series. Is it needed? No. But it would be perfectly fine. And there is no reason to believe her being in the main series someday would make Sonic Boom pointless, she's not a bigger focus on Boom more then anybody else on there.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

The only place I want her thrown is in the garbage 

ced.jpg

One man's trash is another man's treasure. <3

30 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I'm hopeful the third gameplay style isn't merely a "character", but more like open exploration areas (which aren't like towns). And the name Sonic Forces means there's multiple characters per style.

Only if they can actually do it right, but I still don't see that being very fun at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

They can't even get they're regular characters down, I'd rather they not add in more (sticks) until they make use of what they have already